Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks everyone for the Ambition mode explanations! I would've figured out the consecutive battle thing if I had just played it a bit more. Is there a list of who all are the best officers to assign as supervisors for the buildings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

I feel like we're looking at different characters when you guys talk about Ba. He kills Guo Hai in cold blood just to stay alive a little longer. He's one of the main reasons Shu is so easy to hate in the Jin campaign of 7.

Wasn't that Jiang Wei bailing him out with an arrow in the back? As I recall, Ba was just trying not to get gatling-gunned to death in that fight (without much success, I might add).

Incidentally, haven't tried Jin yet. Are Guo Huai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui still as stupidly fun to play as?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's Sophitia

Just who will be next on Tecmo Koei's cavalcade of guest characters? Kazuma Kiryu? Lightning? Scrooge McDuck?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

5er posted:

Thanks everyone for the Ambition mode explanations! I would've figured out the consecutive battle thing if I had just played it a bit more. Is there a list of who all are the best officers to assign as supervisors for the buildings?

The best is whoever you want to talk to. They don't serve any function as far as I'm aware.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

The best is whoever you want to talk to. They don't serve any function as far as I'm aware.

Probably confirmation bias on my part then. I had Zhuge Liang at my teahouse a while and was used to 2 of 3 effects triggering when i'd buy food. Swapped him out with Xu Zhu when I got him because lol fatty at the food dispenser, and thereafter I was reliably triggering 3 effects.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn't that Jiang Wei bailing him out with an arrow in the back? As I recall, Ba was just trying not to get gatling-gunned to death in that fight (without much success, I might add).

Incidentally, haven't tried Jin yet. Are Guo Huai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui still as stupidly fun to play as?

Guo Hai's rage attack rules. Everything explodes. It's a visual feast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Here's Sophitia

Just who will be next on Tecmo Koei's cavalcade of guest characters? Kazuma Kiryu? Lightning? Scrooge McDuck?
Oh gently caress it just put the entire Soul Calibur cast in while you're at it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

Probably confirmation bias on my part then. I had Zhuge Liang at my teahouse a while and was used to 2 of 3 effects triggering when i'd buy food. Swapped him out with Xu Zhu when I got him because lol fatty at the food dispenser, and thereafter I was reliably triggering 3 effects.

Xu Zhu on the farm will give you materials from time to time. He's the only one I've gotten to do poo poo though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Policenaut posted:

Here's Sophitia

I am at work, but imagine me posting those comic book pages of Scrooge McDuck tearing poo poo up.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Were I to hazard a guess, these WO3 guest characters are likely being selected from the lead developer's assortment of animu body pillows. Perhaps in order of magnitude of crusted body fluid stains.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh gently caress it just put the entire Soul Calibur cast in while you're at it.

Siegfried vs Nightmare vs Fu Xi.

I'd watch it.

I'd love to see how Cervantes would work in a field battle.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

Siegfried vs Nightmare vs Fu Xi.

I'd watch it.

I'd love to see how Cervantes would work in a field battle.
Not so different than Liu Shan or any other rapier user, I'd imagine.

All of SC's weapons are already represented in Musou, as far as I know. Which...I guess is a good reason to not have any of them there at all. I guess the Duck Tales cast is the better choice after all.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not so different than Liu Shan or any other rapier user, I'd imagine.

All of SC's weapons are already represented in Musou, as far as I know. Which...I guess is a good reason to not have any of them there at all. I guess the Duck Tales cast is the better choice after all.

Doesn't Cervantes use dual swords? He'd be more like Lu Xun.

But yeah, every SoulCalibur weapon is in Dynasty Warriors, I'm pretty sure. What we really need is to get some Dynasty Warriors characters in SoulCalibur.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh oops, was thinking of Raphael. Haven't played SC in quite a while. Maybe I will again when SC2HD comes out?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

Doesn't Cervantes use dual swords? He'd be more like Lu Xun.

Or Liu Bei. Probably more apropos.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

But what of Voldo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

But what of Voldo.

There's a dilemma. I think you could use the wing blade or trishula moveset, but there aren't genuine cesta / fistblade weapons in there. He's missing a reasonable mesh.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think the Glove moveset would fit. Even its walk would fit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This just really indicates that lots of series would benefit from getting a Musou game.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So here's a question of my own: How do you unlock Zhang Jiao? All of the guides I've found just said to clear Shu stage 1. I've done that both with and without completing the star requirements, and I've also cleared the Yellow Turban Conflict level that unlocks when you finish Shu 1. Am I missing something else?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I think the Glove moveset would fit. Even its walk would fit.

I considered that but gloves is grabby as hell. Voldo isn't. If Zangeif were somehow possible to get in the game, Gloves would be all him.

Uncle Ulty posted:

So here's a question of my own: How do you unlock Zhang Jiao? All of the guides I've found just said to clear Shu stage 1. I've done that both with and without completing the star requirements, and I've also cleared the Yellow Turban Conflict level that unlocks when you finish Shu 1. Am I missing something else?

In Story Mode, if you pick 'Other,' the Yellow Turban campaign should be there, and Zhang Jiao is the only guy you run through that with.

I'm curious what's necessary to get Meng Huo. I have about three 'Other' stages that are grayed out that I can't see what they are.

5er fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 31, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

I considered that but gloves is grabby as hell. Voldo isn't. If Zangeif were somehow possible to get in the game, Gloves would be all him.

In Story Mode, if you pick 'Other,' the Yellow Turban campaign should be there, and Zhang Jiao is the only guy you run through that with.

I'm curious what's necessary to get Meng Huo. I have about three 'Other' stages that are grayed out that I can't see what they are.

Haven't tried it yet, but I suspect the Shu hypothetical route gets you him.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

Haven't tried it yet, but I suspect the Shu hypothetical route gets you him.

I figured. I have only accidentally opened up a couple hypothetical routes. The one I tried on purpose but gave up on, was in Wei, trying to catch Tao Qian before he escapes. The lovely horses you get in Story Mode get hung up sometimes if you even so much as bump one mook, and not even efficiently murdering gate guards and hopping back on the horse, ignoring rewards was getting me to that fucker fast enough.

I hope that, after I unlock Red Hare, I can just open the hypothetical route in Free Mode. I hope I'm not obligated to open it in Story Mode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

I figured. I have only accidentally opened up a couple hypothetical routes. The one I tried on purpose but gave up on, was in Wei, trying to catch Tao Qian before he escapes. The lovely horses you get in Story Mode get hung up sometimes if you even so much as bump one mook, and not even efficiently murdering gate guards and hopping back on the horse, ignoring rewards was getting me to that fucker fast enough.

I hope that, after I unlock Red Hare, I can just open the hypothetical route in Free Mode. I hope I'm not obligated to open it in Story Mode.

Remember, you can use Rage Mode to refill your Musou gauge if you want to speed your horse up a bit. Not sure whether it also slows down the NPCs on the map, because I think I used it to help catch up with him. That was playing Cao Ren, who's the most mobile of your three options for that stage thanks to his exceptionally useful Charge and Rage attacks (the former of which is an excellent lead-in to a Storm Rush if you time it right and have the right sort of weapon).

Definitely the trickiest star requirement I've done so far, though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Duly noted. I loving hate his weapon though. I can live without his EX, and just put on something that has plenty of forward mobility.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

Duly noted. I loving hate his weapon though. I can live without his EX, and just put on something that has plenty of forward mobility.

It's his weapon, though, that gives you his fantastic running charge, which is basically instant doom against anyone your weapon has a type advantage over. Kind of important for the lightning-fast kills you need in that stage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

It's his weapon, though, that gives you his fantastic running charge, which is basically instant doom against anyone your weapon has a type advantage over. Kind of important for the lightning-fast kills you need in that stage.

I was intending to overcompensate for that with a lower difficulty setting and an overlevelled general :D

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I'd like to see a superhero Musou game at some point. Avengers Musou, where I can have Captain America wiping out dozens of Hydra soldiers, or Thor pummeling Asgardian Trolls.

Maybe have the DC one be set in the 40s, with all the classic heroes battling gangsters and Nazis.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5er posted:

Were I to hazard a guess, these WO3 guest characters are likely being selected from the lead developer's assortment of animu body pillows. Perhaps in order of magnitude of crusted body fluid stains.
He has a bodypillow of a 40 year old man? Because Sterk from the Atelier series is a 40 year old man.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

5er posted:

There's a dilemma. I think you could use the wing blade or trishula moveset, but there aren't genuine cesta / fistblade weapons in there. He's missing a reasonable mesh.

Zhang He?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

5er posted:

I unlocked Meng Huo's stage while playing the Jin hypothetical route.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

He has a bodypillow of a 40 year old man? Because Sterk from the Atelier series is a 40 year old man.

1- Exceptions don't govern rules.
2- Maybe?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Endorph posted:

Hey, we never commented on his tastes, just that he had them. :v:

Damnit, that's what I meant instead of Meng Huo.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Maleketh posted:

I unlocked Meng Huo's stage while playing the Jin hypothetical route.

I have no idea what unlocks Other story stages. I thought it was just playing the opposite side of the battle they appear in in Story mode, but I didn't unlock Zuo Ci until I finished all Kingdoms' historical and hypothetical routes even though Wei was the first hypothetical I did. :psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zou Ci might be an exception to that rule. He was also pretty ridiculous to unlock in DW5, if I remember right.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

OatmealRaisin posted:

I have no idea what unlocks Other story stages. I thought it was just playing the opposite side of the battle they appear in in Story mode, but I didn't unlock Zuo Ci until I finished all Kingdoms' historical and hypothetical routes even though Wei was the first hypothetical I did. :psyduck:

Weird, his stage unlocked for me after doing Wei's hypothetical mode but it was the third one I did. Maybe you have to do the Wei, Wu, and Shu hypotheticals for it.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!
Zuo Ci was the first "Other" I unlocked. Only story mode I've cleared so far is Wu.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm beginning to think that the Other stages might unlock in a random order - maybe 1 stage for every X stages completed in the main stories?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
According to this place these are the requirements:

pre:
Scenario 	        Character 	Unlock Requirements

Yellow Turban Conflict 	Zhang Jiao 	Clear Shu Chapter 1.
Eliminate Dong Zhuo 	Diaochan 	Clear Wei Chapter 2.
Chase at Hulao Gate 	Dong Zhuo 	Clear Shu Chapter 2.
Xiapi Defensive Battle 	Lu Bu 	        Clear Wei Chapter 6-X.
Skirmish at Guandu 	Yuan Shao 	Clear Shu Chapter 3-X.
Nanzhong Rescue Mission Zhurong 	Clear Shu Chapter 11W-X.
Phantoms of Xuchang 	Zuo Ci  	Clear Wu Chapter 11W.
Rescue at Baidi Castle 	Meng Huo 	Clear Jin Chapter 9W. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It's so weird unlocking Meng Huo via the Jin story line when traditionally we're doing that in the Shu campaign with Zhuge Liang.