Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Looking forward to the "Sales don't work for wargames :smugdog:" posts in the near future.

I bet those old games did actually see some sales from newer people who are Panzer Corps/WitE customers, and if that was their strategy then it probably worked well. They just aren't doing it in a way that'll attract new custom.

Also price is just part of the triangle of User Friendyness and 'Demo' that you need to pull people in. There were certainly a couple of titles where I would have made a purchase had I just had a chance to play about with a demo for a bit to see if I could stand the UI. I get that a demo is work, but for most of these games (especially the old ones) that would could consist of taking the retail executable and just stripping out all of the campaigns/scenarios except for one small one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Most of the games are overly complex with terrible UIs to boot, but really that's just rehashing old complaints over and over.

In short: gently caress matrix and wargame programmers.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

gently caress matrix and wargame programmers.

Go play call of duty okay thanks goodbye.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

Go play call of duty okay thanks goodbye.

At least it's well designed and consistent.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes it is. If games of that sort scratch your videogame itch by all means go get some sick 360 headshots.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you know what 'Grognard' means? 'Grumbler', or 'One who grumbles' in french.

Its an apt designation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wonder if Strategic Command jumping ship made Battlefront sit up and take notice? They just announced they'd be coming into the 21st century and allowing ~*unlimited downloads*~ of your purchased titles, retroactive to January 2012... assuming you didn't already download one of them ten times (because then, presumably, you're a pirate? I dunno).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

Yes it is. If games of that sort scratch your videogame itch by all means go get some sick 360 headshots.

Yes there's no middle ground between having $90 games with absolute poo poo interfaces and appealing to the lowest common denominator. There have been a few wargames that have come out recently with well designed interfaces and reasonable price points (Unity of command and Battle of the Bulge on iOS come to mind) so it's a shame to see Matrix actively trying to avoid getting new customers by trying to milk what they have for all they've got.

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder if Strategic Command jumping ship made Battlefront sit up and take notice? They just announced they'd be coming into the 21st century and allowing ~*unlimited downloads*~ of your purchased titles, retroactive to January 2012... assuming you didn't already download one of them ten times (because then, presumably, you're a pirate? I dunno).

I could download games I own on matrix illegally faster that I can get them from the service I own them on. That's pathetic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Yes there's no middle ground between having $90 games with absolute poo poo interfaces and appealing to the lowest common denominator. There have been a few wargames that have come out recently with well designed interfaces and reasonable price points (Unity of command and Battle of the Bulge on iOS come to mind) so it's a shame to see Matrix actively trying to avoid getting new customers by trying to milk what they have for all they've got.

I could download games I own on matrix illegally faster that I can get them from the service I own them on. That's pathetic.

Matrix's 'we'll help anyone, but they have to show us a working model first' publishing model manages to both be open and absolutely awful because when they won't do anything until someone actually has a game nobody will ever fix their UIs.

e: also Battlefront make awesome games and though they don't have sales they have sensible default prices. Fixing their download policy just makes them awesome overall.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 31, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Matrix appears to have ended their experiment with unadvertised discounts on redundant titles. It probably worked to squeeze some more money out of their existing customer base but it really wasn't done to pull anyone new in.

That's really annoying, I actually bought two games (Harpoon and John Tiller's Campaign series) directly because of those sales, which I wouldn't have bought otherwise (okay maybe Harpoon). Have they ended their "Steamesque" sales too?

uPen posted:

Downloading Harpoon was a slow pain in the rear end, getting reactivations..which only last for 24 hours is also annoying. This is also ignoring how Matrix's game and patch DRM for all their titles is hilariously broken because of one file hack. Infrastructure is not one of Matrix's strong points.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 31, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decisive Campaigns was my last full game purchase from Matrix (I also bought WITE's Lost Battles afterwards), and that was less about any ol' sale and more about the goon-run PBEM.

poo poo, more wargames should be like that:

Bombing the Reich where one guy runs Italy, another for the 8th Air Force, another for British Bomber Command and a fourth for the Tactical AFs.
WITE on a per-front basis
WITP with that guy who has to run China, and the prospect of assigning a specific person for Japanese industry/production is shades of The Campaign in North Africa

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

WITP with that guy who has to run China, and the prospect of assigning a specific person for Japanese industry/production is shades of The Campaign in North Africa

See this could almost be fun. Imagine being the guy running the Japanese navy and having the industry guy, the China guy and the island garrison guy all screaming at you for all the things they need.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I decided that it's finally time to play the big scenarios in Command Ops:HttR. I love the detailed maps, so this post is really just an excuse to post a screenshot.

I'm the nazis, the big city is Arnhem and it's the morning of the day after the landings. The British AI apparently decided that they could still take city by marching the whole division there in road column, but I already have two defensive lines between them and the highway bridge. They probably should attack the railroad bridge instead because it didn't blow up and I only have terrible infantry defending it, but as you can see I have the 10th SS Recon Btn ready to counterattack if they cross to the south side of Rhine so I guess they are hosed either way.

The battle is nowhere near decided though. Some paratroopers did actually infiltrate to the east parts of the city but I think I can use some random reinforcements to clear them out. In the west, where the second day of landings happen, I have barely any troops and they are all horrible. I do hope that the AI doesn't completely fall apart, since this scenario is supposed to be 10 days long.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
Would anyone be interested in a Case Blue PBEM? I've just picked it up and am still learning, and the spreadsheet says a lot of you have it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd be down for that. However be prepared for an horrifying amount of incompetence in my military leadership.

If there were leadership requirements to play I think I could effectively command a truck. Not a motorized division, one single truck.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I didn't realize they re-released Highway to the Reich/Conquest of the Aegean on the Command Ops engine. I got Aegean back in the days before they were working on Command Ops and never bothered with Highway to the Reich so I guess I'll pick 'em both up and get a discount on the Greece expansion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just a heads up: the current From Warsaw to Berlin game is coming to a close so we'll be looking for who wants in on the next round soon.

e: I so wish that Command Ops had team play. That would be great.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 31, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Matrix have said sales will continue next week. Historicon has delayed them updating it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V for Vegas posted:

Matrix have said sales will continue next week. Historicon has delayed them updating it.

Good. I was really pissed at the idea of them stopping it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

GenericRX posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Case Blue PBEM? I've just picked it up and am still learning, and the spreadsheet says a lot of you have it.

Why are you doing this when I am on my honeymoon. I do not have the money. loving goon game is not something I can pass up though. Put me down as a maybe. The Warsaw to Paris goon games have been a blast so far.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I already own case blue for some reason I cannot explain so I'm in. :woop:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ageod have a new website, not really news but I had to laugh at this line

quote:

The option of a full boxed copy is a great innovation

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Grognards: innovating things that are being phased out

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Jakse posted:

Why are you doing this when I am on my honeymoon. I do not have the money. loving goon game is not something I can pass up though. Put me down as a maybe. The Warsaw to Paris goon games have been a blast so far.

Well, I don't know how to play much less start a serious PBEM so I'm asking you DC veterans to help me on that front.

Why can't all interfaces be like Unity of Command, where I hold one button to see my supply lines :qq:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

GenericRX posted:

Well, I don't know how to play much less start a serious PBEM so I'm asking you DC veterans to help me on that front.

Why can't all interfaces be like Unity of Command, where I hold one button to see my supply lines :qq:

It's a lot of gut instinct. CV is more stacking than combat. The HQ radius is actually the staff bonus to combat and not supply lines. You have to click the supply layer and it sucks. That said it is probably my favorite grognard game. If goons wait a few weeks then I'm in. Also even though I'll take days to do my turn due to honeymoon grats to Alchenar on delaying Poland's demise and making Germany bleed for it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse posted:

It's a lot of gut instinct. CV is more stacking than combat. The HQ radius is actually the staff bonus to combat and not supply lines. You have to click the supply layer and it sucks. That said it is probably my favorite grognard game. If goons wait a few weeks then I'm in. Also even though I'll take days to do my turn due to honeymoon grats to Alchenar on delaying Poland's demise and making Germany bleed for it.

I'm going to do a retrospective post where I point out my plan and where you guys went wrong. Suffice to say for now that the game would have been over a lot quicker if you guys had thought about where my supply lines are.

e: Case Blue does not have teamplay so it's a bit bad in that regard :(

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Well you can jury-rig team play on most PBEM titles by swapping the save file around between players.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArchangeI posted:

Well you can jury-rig team play on most PBEM titles by swapping the save file around between players.

Though one issue with it is it kind of screws with coordination of joint attacks. Though the idea of working through that adds an interesting wrinkle to the gameplay.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

German at War first impressions:

I made a post over at Matrix Games

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Though one issue with it is it kind of screws with coordination of joint attacks. Though the idea of working through that adds an interesting wrinkle to the gameplay.

That has been a lot of the fun of the goon games though. Even in Warsaw to Paris, each Army fights in turn (or Army Group/Country for the Paris scenario) so it purposefully makes coordination more challenging. Hell, as OKH, I had to take screenshots of recon flights to make sure everyone had that vision. It adds to it quite a bit.

I'm eventually going to lp Warsaw to Paris to show off some of the mechanics. If you get bored though, read about how combat actually works in the manual, that poo poo is a trip and a half.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

German at War first impressions:

I made a post over at Matrix Games

Looks like a quality product, what are they charging?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
50bux cheap!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Baloogan posted:

50bux cheap!

35 for the download. I was interested til Alchenar posted that quality screenshot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It's a depth of field effect!

FAKE EDIT: Fog of war! :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be clear: I'm sure that the blurriness is a problem with my system setup, but that doesn't really excuse white-on-white text choices.

e: I also have the urge to play some Close Combat: Cross of Iron if anyone's up for it.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How balanced/multi-player-friendly is DC's Sealion campaign? It's the only one we haven't played yet (although our France game ended prematurely)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

How balanced/multi-player-friendly is DC's Sealion campaign? It's the only one we haven't played yet (although our France game ended prematurely)

No team play (which is why we haven't played it). It's also heavily contingent on how much of the BEF evacuates France.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Man i am thinking of buying Warsaw to Paris just to get in on the multiplayer game.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alchenar posted:

To be clear: I'm sure that the blurriness is a problem with my system setup, but that doesn't really excuse white-on-white text choices.

e: I also have the urge to play some Close Combat: Cross of Iron if anyone's up for it.

I'll play some Cross of Iron with you. I think i still have it installed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
If you're starting another game of Warsaw to Paris I could take a minor role, I'm not very good.