Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zomodok posted:

Before the E3 conference Keighley was doing the same poo poo with Jack Tritton and the PS4. Though a lot of the 'gaming press' were pissed that Nintendo cancelled their press conference but Keighley has always been a loving moron period.

But that doesn't mean that the media is out to hurt poor little old Nintendo

It's not that they're out to. It's more oldest child syndrome, where you expect more.

And they never cancelled anything. People started crying because they couldn't all be in a room together. The media even liked that they could actually you know play the games instead of someone telling you how awesome it's going to be, while another dev plays the script to perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Sir John Feelgood posted:

A quick Google search says the Xbox 360 sold 1.8 million in the same quarter, at the same time in its life. Just to give you an idea.

It sucks to see nintendo doing so badly right now, I like the way they are headed more than the way AAA announcements for Xbone and PS4 are headed. I'm not impressed by the next gen graphics either, I think the quality difference in graphics between a PS1 and PS2 is not as interesting between a PS3 and PS4, maybe it's because I've been a PC gamer all these years and I don't consider CGI graphics to be all that exciting anymore.

The worst thing is that nintendo is a videogame company at the core, they should be smarter than this with their business

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 31, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You missed the whole point. When I'm using my cell phone to play a mobile videogame that hardly presents the same power as a Wii U game and it uses Wi-Fi I don't even get three hours (Samsung Galaxy SIII). It has nothing to do with your phone working for texting and business. When specifically using a cell phone for video game entertainment, it's usually worse than a Gamepad playing an HD modern game. I'm not arguing mobile gaming vs. console gaming here, I'm making the point that having a screen like that is an energy suck. Hence why the Wii U Pro gets you the sort of battery life you'd get out of a 360 or PS3 controller.

I can't believe people are disagreeing with this statement, if you are playing any fully 3D game on a smart phone or tablet the batter life just drains so quickly.

Check out some of these videos
iPhone 4 - 6hrs 30min the lowest settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6LUEgfpCgE
iPhone 4 - 2hrs 45min on the max settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQgbjNBrYo
iPad - 12hrs 21min on the lowest settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3RP2gdtTY
iPad 3 - 3hrs 50min on the max settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R028FW4bPt0

I honestly don't have issues with battery life on a game pad that I use in a room next to an electrical outlet. I don't see what the big deal is... with the convenience of having a dock the thing is always charged.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 31, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Here is a lovely chart for everybody to discuss.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

I am kinda amazed that the WII sold close to what the Wii U did in Q4 2012. Like outta nowhere.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

I am kinda amazed that the WII sold close to what the Wii U did in Q4 2012. Like outta nowhere.

That's that amazing Wii U advertising for you. Even in pictures, if you aren't paying close attention to it, the gamepad looks like an add-on.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just people buying the Wii and thinking the Wii U was the add-on :v:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astro7x posted:

I can't believe people are disagreeing with this statement, if you are playing any fully 3D game on a smart phone or tablet the batter life just drains so quickly.

[videos]

I honestly don't have issues with battery life on a game pad that I use in a room next to an electrical outlet. I don't see what the big deal is... with the convenience of having a dock the thing is always charged.

Do you people actually understand the argument that you are trying so hard to fight against or are you just ignorant enough to be offensive.

Again, because apparently this needs to be repeated. The Wii U tablet does not render anything on itself. The console itself does and then sends an audio/video signal to the tablet to display. This is different from Cell Phones because the Phone itself has to render whatever it is that needs to be rendered while being portable. The Wii U tablet does not have this excuse and still suffers from horrible battery life

I don't understand how you can misunderstand this argument let alone defend the battery life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

iPhone 4 - 6hrs 30min the lowest settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6LUEgfpCgE
iPhone 4 - 2hrs 45min on the max settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQgbjNBrYo
iPad - 12hrs 21min on the lowest settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3RP2gdtTY
iPad 3 - 3hrs 50min on the max settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R028FW4bPt0

Your phone is doing all the processing and rendering to eat up battery. The gamepad does not do any processing or intense calculations, it just receives and displays video feed and transmits inputs and sensor data.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zomodok posted:

I don't understand how you can misunderstand this argument let alone defend the battery life.

There is no argument. It's a cheap battery, for a device that streams media from something else. We get it. Nintendo should have spent more money on the battery.

It's just not that big of a deal, when you don't have to spend money for the battery.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

bushisms.txt posted:

It's not that they're out to. It's more oldest child syndrome, where you expect more.

And they never cancelled anything. People started crying because they couldn't all be in a room together. The media even liked that they could actually you know play the games instead of someone telling you how awesome it's going to be, while another dev plays the script to perfection.

Do you even understand why publishers hold those press conferences? They hold them so that news outlets have sound-bytes and news they can give to normal people, ie. not people who watched the stream on Gametrailers. Nintendo Direct does nothing but preach to the choir and is a terrible way to build up hype. On top of all that, skipping e3 makes them look cheap as hell. Maybe there's some mandate from up top dictating that they can't spend over X amount on advertising. It wouldn't surprise me with every other decision they've made.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Everything in that Direct was relayed by news sites in about the same measure as news from past Nintendo conferences has been.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And the casual market doesn't give a crap about gaming sites.

The E3 conference on the other hand are televised by Spike, they got almost 5 million views last year, that's the kind of coverage they need.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everything in that Direct was relayed by news sites in about the same measure as news from past Nintendo conferences has been.

On top of this, the press conferences are during the day, and no one but gamers will be watching anyways. It's telling when Spike would rather show Dodgeball than the PS4 conference.

Beanboy
Apr 6, 2004

I agree. It may not match the GameCube's sales, since it's dealing with problems the GameCube didn't, like widespread confusion. But it's also sitting on store shelves with only one big Nintendo franchise, and it's one a lot of people are tired of (NSMB). When Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. come out, you'll see the Wii U start to sell like (or almost as well as) a normal, post-PlayStation Nintendo console does.

I would agree with this observation at any other time period (much as I dislike the Wii U). But with two new powerhouse consoles coming out, that kind of boost is much MUCH more in doubt. They might be buried by the time they even get those games out the door. Also imagine a GameStop where a WiiU kiosk has to display its graphics next to an XBone or PS4 one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Alteisen posted:

And the casual market doesn't give a crap about gaming sites.

The E3 conference on the other hand are televised by Spike, they got almost 5 million views last year, that's the kind of coverage they need.

They only televised the MS conference, Sony's wasn't.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CapnAndy posted:

No major game (and barely any games) were released or announced during those post launch quarters, there's not much to discuss.

We need to see how it sells these holidays with many major first party games coming out.

Edit:

VVVVV They announced new consoles, of course the press is going to talk more about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
After the amount of press Sony and Microsoft generated for themselves at E3 (for exactly opposite reasons, granted), it's extremely foolish to say that you don't gain any attention by being there.

Beanboy posted:

I would agree with this observation at any other time period (much as I dislike the Wii U). But with two new powerhouse consoles coming out, that kind of boost is much MUCH more in doubt. They might be buried by the time they even get those games out the door. Also imagine a GameStop where a WiiU kiosk has to display its graphics next to an XBone or PS4 one.
Yeah, that's such an impending nail in the coffin it's not funny. The Wii U is going to be a last-gen console by the holiday season, directly competing with a brand new PS4 that costs $50 more. How many system sellers can Nintendo get out before November? Because they're gonna need 'em.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 31, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

awww I double posted, sorry :(

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Beanboy posted:

That's not even mentioning how terrible these kiosks are. Half of the Gamestops I've visited don't even have PLAYABLE GAMES on their Wii U demos.

Why the gently caress would you even consider taking the time and spending the money to sign an advertising deal with Gamestop to get your systems playable in the stores, and not even have playable demos?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

CapnAndy posted:

After the amount of press Sony and Microsoft generated for themselves at E3 (for exactly opposite reasons, granted), it's extremely foolish to say that you don't gain any attention by being there.

Yes, E3 pressers build hype and destroy it in ways a really dry and boring YouTube video doesn't. The only big publisher that can get away with not having one is Activision, and that's because everyone else at the show wants to show off their games for them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo put online many interesting developers' videos after the show that were way more informative than all the glossy E3 conferences.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Beanboy posted:

I imagine a sizable % of Wii U sales will be by people who see it as a supplement to their main console(s).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kurtofan posted:

Nintendo put many interesting developers' videos after the show that were way more informative than all the glossy E3 conferences.

The glossy E3 conferences weren't the only media the other console makers put out, just like the Nintendo Direct wasn't the only media Nintendo put out :ssh:

Sony put a bunch of developer interviews, trailers, and gameplay videos on their youtube channel during E3.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I imagine a sizable % of Wii U sales will be by people who see it as a supplement to their main console(s).

But that's a really stupid thing to do. If you're buying another console why wouldn't you want it to be on par with the rest from the get-go? It's 350 bucks, not some purposely made device to act as a secondary machine.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

PC/Wii U is the thing to do this generation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

But that's a really stupid thing to do. If you're buying another console why wouldn't you want it to be on par with the rest?

Presumably these people are willing to pay a cover charge to access Nintendo games which isn't exactly super far fetched. The issue, of course, is that currently they're expected to put down 350 bucks to get at the good stuff which is too high a barrier for entry currently for most people's second console.

Beanboy
Apr 6, 2004

Barudak posted:

Presumably these people are willing to pay a cover charge to access Nintendo games which isn't exactly super far fetched. The issue, of course, is that currently they're expected to put down 350 bucks to get at the good stuff which is too high a barrier for entry currently for most people's second console.

I think they might have to go as low as $200 to gain traction. And I'm not sure they can go that low.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bushisms.txt posted:

PC/Wii U/3DS.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Nintendo put many interesting developers' videos after the show that were way more informative than all the glossy E3 conferences.

And yet here we are, apparently nobody who doesn't already own a Wii U knows what the things are and what they can do, which is why sales are in the toilet. The glossy press conferences do have the ability to build hype, which is something the Wii U has had almost none of ever since it's reveal. Unless you're a Nintendo fan, then the thing simply existing is good enough.

The glossy press conferences can get people hyped up, get people online searching for YOUR product, and then they see those informative, detailed videos, and maybe they feel like they should buy your new toy.

The thing is, Nintendo managed to bungle two E3's in a row and actually create negative-hype for the Wii U. Then they didn't even bother trying this year, instead preaching to the choir with the Directs, and expecting journalists who are actually on the show floor to do the hype-building for them.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 31, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

No major game (and barely any games) were released or announced during those post launch quarters, there's not much to discuss.

We need to see how it sells these holidays with many major first party games coming out.

Are you the same Kurtofan that posts at Neogaf, because you are 'both' absolutely, 100% obsessed with the whole games-released angle. Assuming you have a Wii-U, pick your favourite game on that platform and tell me, if it was the case that a game of that calibre had been released every week over the last quarter, what do you think the impact on system-sales might have been, and why?

If you just want to be forward-looking, let us assume that games of the calibre you have in mind do indeed ship over the remainder of the year - what do you anticipate the impact on system-sales being?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

But that's a really stupid thing to do. If you're buying another console why wouldn't you want it to be on par with the rest from the get-go? It's 350 bucks, not some purposely made device to act as a secondary machine.
You're right. And that's why it's selling terribly. Few people are going to buy a Wii U as their ticket to the next generation. But with a price drop and more Nintendo games, it'll be more attractive to serve its secondary role.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

bushisms.txt posted:

If 80 buck next gen games and 60 dollar controllers and riskier development costs are what the ps4 and xbone have to offer over the previous gen thats my plan. PC has really outpaced the consoles for nabbing up Indie games Its like what? All of them? The amount of nintendo titles however...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

PC/Wii U/3DS.

Forgot about this year's stocking stuffer.

This really is the Gamecube 2, with the 3DS doing all the work the GBA did, so Nintendo won't have to price drop, if they don't want to, until after the holidays.

I see a price drop coming right before Mario Kart if sales truly don't move.

Junkie Disease posted:

If 80 buck next gen games and 60 dollar controllers and riskier development costs are what the ps4 and xbone have to offer over the previous gen thats my plan. PC has really outpaced the consoles for nabbing up Indie games Its like what? All of them? The amount of nintendo titles however...

I want indies just because they aren't run by committee, and maybe we can get FTL2 on the Wii U, which would be amazing.

Hell any crpg, rts, 4x, or roguelike game would rule on the Wii U. It's so easy to develop for the Wii U, I'm working on one on the side, because there's nothing to lose.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 31, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
If you honestly, no-bullshit actually believe that there is an anti-nintendo offshoot from the Illuminati who is dedicated to spreading a FUD campaign against Nintendo then you are mentally ill.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's not even mentioning how terrible these kiosks are. Half of the Gamestops I've visited don't even have PLAYABLE GAMES on their Wii U demos.

Why the gently caress would you even consider taking the time and spending the money to sign an advertising deal with Gamestop to get your systems playable in the stores, and not even have playable demos?

It drove me crazy when I used one of those demo kiosks for the first time. I thought *I* was a loving idiot for not being able to figure out how to get to the playable demos.

How could they screw up that aspect of the launch so badly?

WiiU sales will pick up during the holiday season, but all those Big Games are going to be absolutely crushed under the weight of Xbone and PS4 sales. Nintendo has no hope of making up for its first year.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

magimix posted:

Are you the same Kurtofan that posts at Neogaf, because you are 'both' absolutely, 100% obsessed with the whole games-released angle. Assuming you have a Wii-U, pick your favourite game on that platform and tell me, if it was the case that a game of that calibre had been released every week over the last quarter, what do you think the impact on system-sales might have been, and why?

If you just want to be forward-looking, let us assume that games of the calibre you have in mind do indeed ship over the remainder of the year - what do you anticipate the impact on system-sales being?

Yeah it's me, I think that releasing big games is the way to sell consoles, with good marketing of course, I'm thinking between Pikmin 3 and NSMBU caliber (there's no middle of the road first party game in terms of popularity on Wii U yet, but I'd say Donkey Kong Country TF fits the bill)

If games like that was released more often it would have tremendous effects on sales. I don't like to make predictions sales wise, so not sure how many but it would be great.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Geek U.S.A. posted:

If you honestly, no-bullshit actually believe that there is an anti-nintendo offshoot from the Illuminati who is dedicated to spreading a FUD campaign against Nintendo then you are mentally ill.

Killumnati, Bosman holding it down.

Come with me, Geoff Keighly
You hated the Wii, stupid waggle!
Now we gotta plan, how we gonna make
Iwata leave, Hail Reggie!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

You're right. And that's why it's selling terribly. Few people are going to buy a Wii U as their ticket to the next generation. But with a price drop and more Nintendo games, it'll be more attractive to serve its secondary role.

If they're just aiming for a secondary role that's still not going to be good enough. Gamecube is nothing to aspire to. Price drop isn't even confirmed and people are just acting like it's gonna be a given, the Vita isn't doing all that well and Sony isn't even mentioning a price drop either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Their hand might be forced on a price drop if enough retailers take it upon themselves to do the slashing.

• Locked thread