Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rurik posted:

Ok, that's great. :) But I've run across another problem with my plan to convert into Sunni. The Russian duchies don't get any any navies and there are Tengri Magyars and Cumans as well as Orthodox Byzantines between them and the nearest Muslims. (And if the Russians even had navies, I think only the Norse could navigate rivers.) So there's practically no way to siege a Muslim province and take potential concubines prisoners. Taking them via diplomatic screen is also impossible, because "----- Sunni faith prohibits taking concubines". And cause there's so much land and different realms between me and the Muslims, it's unlikely a preaching Muslim will show up anytime soon.

Just play the long game -- conquer your way to the coast, get a fleet and then go raiding. And actually, if you're near present day Ukraine, it's not unusual to get Muslim preachers once the Abbasids (or similar) start eating into Turkmenistan/Cumania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You could ruler-design a Sunni with some daughters and put him in charge of a Baltic duchy or something, then save/load as your own Russian ruler and engineer a way for both of you to cross paths somehow.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Rurik posted:

Ok, that's great. :) But I've run across another problem with my plan to convert into Sunni. The Russian duchies don't get any any navies and there are Tengri Magyars and Cumans as well as Orthodox Byzantines between them and the nearest Muslims. (And if the Russians even had navies, I think only the Norse could navigate rivers.) So there's practically no way to siege a Muslim province and take potential concubines prisoners. Taking them via diplomatic screen is also impossible, because "----- Sunni faith prohibits taking concubines". And cause there's so much land and different realms between me and the Muslims, it's unlikely a preaching Muslim will show up anytime soon.

The only way to do this that I can think of is to use the ruler designer to make a Russian Sunni from the start. But then I'd lose the portion of playing as a Slavic pagan and experiencing the story of conversion. Is there any other way left?

What was the "always accept diplomatic offers" cheat? I could enable that and ask for a Sunni concubine/wife.

Wait, will a Muslim ruler let me marry his courtier even if I'm infidel if she's not his relative?

I don't think a Muslim will ever let you marry anyone from his court. Maybe they'd allow a pagan courtier but I don't know for sure. There's no cheat to have people auto-accept diplomatic action as far as I know, but you can use "neg_diplo" then use "play <charid>" and forcibly accept whatever diplomatic action you send, then switch back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The easiest way to convert to Sunni without having someone appropriate in your court, or the appropriate religion, is to carve a swathe to the nearest Sunni province, wait for them to holy war you, and then convert.

You could also see if you can get a Persian Zoroastrian or something in your court and give him land. I've observed that they have a chance, small as it is, to bring in a Shia Persian when they populate their courts, and that Shia will usually call in Shia women and start a family. Not quite the same as Sunni, but still Muslim. As a ruler you'd probably have better luck marrying one of them.

Something else I've observed is that you can, as a pagan, manage to marry African pagans; they do have the malus for infidel, but you can bribe them and their lord up enough to let it go through, if they aren't particularly important. I've found it works best if you arrange betrothals between minors, lords seem more accepting of that. When/if Africa gets conquered and converted, you might have some Sunni Africans brought in to court if you can start by bringing in and giving land to a dude, and letting him keep his culture in the county you give him.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So the navy.. anyway for ships to attack eachother?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rapdawg posted:

So the navy.. anyway for ships to attack eachother?

Nope, just friendly ships passing in the night.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Soooo, i was playing my first game, and after a while i get a plot objective to kill my wife.

At this point in the game, the three duchies around mine are at war, and i figure it would be a nice moment to attack. Then i remember i need a claim, and that my current king has 7 military strength, while his son has 17. But suicide isn't really an option.

I raise taxes, and do everything i can to make people dislike me so they assassinate me or something, then i try to kill my wife, succeed, but the assassin gets caught.

Shortly after, my king falls ill, i don't know if it's because of a plot or natural, then dies.

The heir takes over, and at this moment a claim is fabricated, i go to invade the neighbor while his armies are somewhere else.

EVERYTHING WENT ACCORDING TO PLAN

This game is awesome.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been playing as a Republic for a while and I really enjoy being able to hoard money and keep on playing even when I'm not the Doge. Still, is there anything more? I can't be a patrician and somehow have a claim to a kingdom or duchy? Can I destroy the other Republics (Genoa can be very annoying) or it's all going to be wars for trading posts?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rurik posted:

I don't know about this problem, so maybe.

It was ironic, actually - people always complained about not being able to colonize California as Japan, and no one complained about not being able to colonize the Philippines from Peru :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Does any one know of a Gender Equality mod that doesnt require CK2+?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

radlum posted:

I've been playing as a Republic for a while and I really enjoy being able to hoard money and keep on playing even when I'm not the Doge. Still, is there anything more? I can't be a patrician and somehow have a claim to a kingdom or duchy? Can I destroy the other Republics (Genoa can be very annoying) or it's all going to be wars for trading posts?

You still can go to wars and take land, you also have special CB on those who hold counties with your trading post in addition to claim fabrication/holy war. You can become duke in king-level republics like Venice or Genoa. Pressing a claim to kingdom will convert it to republic with you as doge if you only hold cities, if you have castles you might become feudal.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Does any one know of a Gender Equality mod that doesnt require CK2+?

The CK2+ one doesn't actually need CK2+ running, I don't think. Otherwise check my post history of this thread, I posted the one I made & use 10~ pages back

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I looked it up, it's a simple matter of putting # in front of the basch requirement. Thanks though.

Wiz can't guarantee CK2+ will work with the converter so im gonna play vanilla to play it safe, but I need to be able to have my dynasty of queens.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just conquered England as William de Normandie and it made my demesne explode to 32/5. Is there some way to prevent my automatic seizing of all these locations? Was it related to all the holdings I sieged during the war? Is there a way to hand these holdings out to the right vassals in a way that isn't mind-numbingly tedious?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fleshweasel posted:

I just conquered England as William de Normandie and it made my demesne explode to 32/5. Is there some way to prevent my automatic seizing of all these locations? Was it related to all the holdings I sieged during the war? Is there a way to hand these holdings out to the right vassals in a way that isn't mind-numbingly tedious?

What you could do is whenever you want to hand out a county click 'include lower titles'. It will automatically give out cities, temples and castles without having to go through each and every one of them. The person holding them will get to dole them out. This also helps with 'x desires the city/temple/barony of x' which is a pain in the rear end to deal with after the fact.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fleshweasel posted:

I just conquered England as William de Normandie and it made my demesne explode to 32/5.

Awesome! This is way better than having twenty some odd non-culture vassals pissed off at you. Get a posse of Normans to help you deal with this noise.

fleshweasel posted:

Is there some way to prevent my automatic seizing of all these locations? Was it related to all the holdings I sieged during the war?

Yes. Any holdings you conquered during the war becomes yours. If you just take one holding and enforce demands, then you get that one holding. It's better to take as much land as you can then hand it out to loyal same-culture vassals than to inherit a country where 99% of the lords hate you.

fleshweasel posted:

Is there a way to hand these holdings out to the right vassals in a way that isn't mind-numbingly tedious?

Use 'Include lower titles' to hand off whole chunks in one go. You can use this to hand off a ducal title including all counties and baronies... if you want one guy to hold a duchy and all the counties in it (you don't unless he's your heir).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think "include lower titles" will also hand out the castles, temples, and cities under a county, which will let the AI count do all the tedious clicking (though it may mean the AI keeps, say, a second castle in a county and becomes more powerful than you might otherwise want).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I'm curious: in general how accurate is the CK2 depiction of feudal structures? Wikipedia is kind of vague on this, but I've heard that in particular the Byzantines and Muslims didn't have a whole lot of vassalage in their government.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but I'm curious: in general how accurate is the CK2 depiction of feudal structures? Wikipedia is kind of vague on this, but I've heard that in particular the Byzantines and Muslims didn't have a whole lot of vassalage in their government.

I believe it's pretty accurate for western Europe, less so for everyone else.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
You ever get to a point in a game where you're just so powerful you've lost all interest..

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Pretty much any general structure of feudalism is going to be flawed. In particular, CK2's model uses a kind of pseudofeudalism from the War of the Roses where a count vassal to a Duke, but not the King. Kings were a Big Deal in Western Europe and that county would still owe fealty to the master of the realm as a whole. The game doesn't really represent that. Once a vassal takes another as a subvassal, the king no longer has any real way of interacting with them in the capacity of "you hold a province in my realm; I own you".

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You ever get to a point in a game where you're just so powerful you've lost all interest..
Welcome to how every Paradox game always ends. I don't think I've ever made it to the 1300s in CK2.

Panzerkin3D
Dec 13, 2011

The mountains have always been here, and in them, the bears.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think "include lower titles" will also hand out the castles, temples, and cities under a county, which will let the AI count do all the tedious clicking (though it may mean the AI keeps, say, a second castle in a county and becomes more powerful than you might otherwise want).

You can also use the random char generator for all the baronies you don't want the count to inherit (or just all of them except the county seat). Once all the baronies are handed out (takes like 5-10 seconds per county) give the country title and all lower titles to whoever you want to have it.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I picked up The Old Gods during the last sale, and I've been having a ball with it. Started out with Haraldr Fairhair and by the time he was 50 I ruled all of Norway and Denmark. To be fair though, the only reason I got Denmark was the last Danish king made the mistake of converting to Christianity. I used it as a great chance to learn how Prepared Invasions worked! :black101: I have a few questions though.
  • What's the difference between a Great Holy War and a regular one? After I reformed the Norse faith I had that option available. I figure it's probably like a Norse crusade, but I'm not sure.
  • If I started the game with Sunset Invasion turned on, am I stuck with it? Or can I turn it off and load an earlier save if they invade and I decide it's not for me?
  • If I decide to switch from Gavalkind to Primogeniture, will my vassals all switch as well? None of my other games have used Gavalkind, so I never really played around with it. I've found that it's great for breaking up those Dukes that love to revoke every county they have, and end up with a hefty power base. As soon as they die with multiple sons, things even out again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a mod out there that simply lets everyone use the major rivers? I kinda want that and so that everyone can raid in some capacity (Musilms raid with boats like Norse, everyone else can raid neighbors like non-norse pagans).

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

All the time, the only thing to do is either tart over or try to make the current game interesting by eithe adding self made conditions or purposfully sabotageing the realm, granting independance to a bunch of powerful vassels or saveing and reloading as a small fry in your current game.

I had a game going after the Norman conquest of England where I was playing the last of the Saxon Nobles with the goal of reclaiming England for the Saxons. I gain control of England France and Ireland and in the process set to exterminating House Normandy. Unfortunatly I dont do a complete job and they survive with a moderate ducal title under me in Spain. So after awhile I reload as them and seek vengence for my house :black101:

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 1, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rurik posted:

Goon reasons? I can give you good reasons, but even though Paradox has honored us with its presence I don't think SA is that prominent.

Well, there is this:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, there is this:

Is that a legit event or something someone modded in? in either case :wtc:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mickey McKey posted:

Is that a legit event or something someone modded in? in either case :wtc:

Posted by Johan.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The best way to model the Byzantine theme system would be have mayors be in control of all of the counties and the Dukes have their succession laws set to None so when the current ruler dies their family returns to Constantinople and you replace him. It's a lot of micromanagement but really there is a reason you call things Byzantine when it's somewhat backwards and tedious for what appears to be little gain.

Schmoozer
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Im really having a hard time getting into this game. Any goons playing tonight?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Alkanos posted:

I picked up The Old Gods during the last sale, and I've been having a ball with it. Started out with Haraldr Fairhair and by the time he was 50 I ruled all of Norway and Denmark. To be fair though, the only reason I got Denmark was the last Danish king made the mistake of converting to Christianity. I used it as a great chance to learn how Prepared Invasions worked! :black101: I have a few questions though.
  • What's the difference between a Great Holy War and a regular one? After I reformed the Norse faith I had that option available. I figure it's probably like a Norse crusade, but I'm not sure.
  • If I started the game with Sunset Invasion turned on, am I stuck with it? Or can I turn it off and load an earlier save if they invade and I decide it's not for me?
  • If I decide to switch from Gavalkind to Primogeniture, will my vassals all switch as well? None of my other games have used Gavalkind, so I never really played around with it. I've found that it's great for breaking up those Dukes that love to revoke every county they have, and end up with a hefty power base. As soon as they die with multiple sons, things even out again.

Great Holy Wars are crusades for reformed pagans.

Disabling Sunset Invasion should stop the invasion from ever happening, but I have no idea what happens if you disable it after the Aztecs invade. You can also use the console to switch to the Aztec leader, disband all their armies and gently caress with their vassals as much as possible without unpausing, which should have the same net effect.

You have no control over your vassals' inheritance laws, but the AI doesn't seem to change them often unless a faction wins a civil war.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
You can disable Sunset Invasion on a saved game where SI was previously enabled with no ill effects so long as the Amazons haven't actually invaded yet. I did that myself after I got my first taste.

Fuckers cheat.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

You can disable Sunset Invasion on a saved game where SI was previously enabled with no ill effects so long as the Amazons haven't actually invaded yet. I did that myself after I got my first taste.

Fuckers cheat.

They're Aztecs, but that sounds like a mod in waiting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Fuckers cheat.

Try the Zoro start and get the Seljuks to invade. There is no way to fight them at all due to your middling supply limits in Khiva.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

CapnAndy posted:

Fuckers cheat.

I've actually yet to get a game up to the Aztec invasion since I bought that DLC. Are they really that bad?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Yureina posted:

I've actually yet to get a game up to the Aztec invasion since I bought that DLC. Are they really that bad?

The one game I actually played with them as Empire of Britannia I had no loving way of dealing with them. Turned it off after that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Yureina posted:

chunkles posted:

The one game I actually played with them as Empire of Britannia I had no loving way of dealing with them. Turned it off after that.
I had exactly that experience. I had 100,000 troops at my disposal. They had 200,000. Or possibly more. And they're immune to attrition. And their leader is based on Not-On-The-Map-Land, so you can't assassinate him like a civilized man. And if he moves somewhere actually modeled and gets traits, and you kill him? The war goes on and his heir gets a new 100,000 men out of loving nowhere. And you can't convert them. And you can't ally with them. And you can't bribe them. And their opinion of you doesn't even matter.

They. Cheat.

It's not a challenge and it's not fun, it goes so far overboard that it's just the computer jerking off and making you watch. I did not sign up for that sort of bullshit.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'd hate to see how you would react to a Persia game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, I really don't know why anyone who ever faced a horde would buy Sunset Invasion. There's nothing particularly enjoyable in it, as there's no real skill involved in dealing with them. It's simply "Are you unbelievably huge enough to be able to collect onto a single fleet more forces than they have in their doomstack?" If so, you can beat them. If not, there's nothing whatsoever you can do to stop them.

It's only interesting as "a thing that happens on the other side of the map, away from you, and shakes things up." Terrible to face as a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I imagine it's more interesting when you're not the guy the Aztecs are going to sit on first. If you're situated in central Europe and Aztecs are moving east while the Mongols are moving west and both have conquered massive swaths of territory already, I'd imagine it'd be a bit more intense.

One of my gripes with this game is that occassionally just by forming a mid-sized kingdom you're big enough to push everyone around since the AI has problems progressing beyond the 'petty fiefdoms fighting miserable little wars' stage. I honestly wouldn't mind a tiny bit of rubber banding to keep things competitive all the way through.

• Locked thread