Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Because, at that time, it was one of (the?) cheapest Blu-Ray players, that was also a Playstation that could play games.

Where's Wii U at now btw? 3.5-4 million units sold?

3.61 million shipped, around 3 million sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Zomodok posted:

Nintendo made yet another boggling decision with their hardware. (No Ethernet port on the main console will always be my first mind-boggle)

This raises the question if it's possible to connect to a wireless network without connecting to the internet at the same time. I'm behind a login-gateway thing and the Wii did not like that one bit.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The Wii U version of Batman Arkaham Origins is going to be the only without multiplayer to focus "development efforts on platforms with the largest multiplayer audience,"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/is-batman-arkham-origins-multiplayer-skipping-wii-u

And this is coming from WB Interactive, one of Nintendo's "big" 3rd party supporters...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They just need to do a corporate house cleaning and get rid of all the heads running everything. Give NOA primary control so they can do just as much poo poo as NOJ does but for the west. There is a shitload and I mean a shitload of games that NOJ never brought over to America because they have some outdated dogmatic view. Meanwhile once SCEA took over for the PS3 America got poo poo like Tokyo Jungle, a bunch of RPGs, and is getting the Project Diva game in another month or so.

There is a metric ton of games that would work in America, but Nintendo isn't even bothering to try and woo those to bring them over for the Wii-U. Hell just letting NOA have a big say in the online structure would be a good thing.

Boiled Water posted:

This raises the question if it's possible to connect to a wireless network without connecting to the internet at the same time. I'm behind a login-gateway thing and the Wii did not like that one bit.

You can get around captured site logins but it's a big headache and requires you to contact your service provider and to tell them to plug in the frequency to your wireless device so the site will appear in the browser. That's also assuming the site will not kick you off at random during extended periods of play.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That idea is premised upon NOA being an analogue for SCEA in terms of competence and vision.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I don't expect the Wii U to do outstandingly, but I think it'll attract a lot of Nintendo fans who were simply waiting for games.

Actually, I think people are starting to wise-up in regards to Nintendo games and realizing that at the end of the day, it's just not worth owning a Nintendo console.

For a long time now, it's been accepted that you buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games because third party support just isn't there, right? The problem however, is that Nintendo isn't putting out enough good games themselves to justify ownership of their consoles any more, and as they struggle with adjusting to the increased demands of HD development, it's becoming increasingly apparent that this is the case and so nobody really wants to buy a console that will see one worthwhile game a year if you're lucky.

I expect the issue with a lot of these Nintendo games being rehashes of the same games that their fans have played plenty of times before doesn't help either. Are people going to look at Mario Kart 8 and think, "Gee, that right there sure makes me want a Wii U" when they've already played it so many times before? Same goes for Smash Bros and whatever the latest Mario platformer is. You'd think that when they're just rehashing the same games over and over that they could get them out in a timely manner at least, but it seems that even that is too much for Nintendo.

In summary I think that the big selling point of Nintendo consoles (Nintendo games) is losing its power due to a combination of there not being enough of them (this is a problem that will get worse) and the appeal shrinking as people realize they've already played them on the Wii/DS/GameCube/N64/SNES. Case in point being the Wii U launch game New Super Mario Bros U, which at this point probably made people think, "I've already played that on the Wii/DS..." and write off the console.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

WendigoJohnson posted:

They just need to do a corporate house cleaning and get rid of all the heads running everything. Give NOA primary control so they can do just as much poo poo as NOJ does but for the west. There is a shitload and I mean a shitload of games that NOJ never brought over to America because they have some outdated dogmatic view. Meanwhile once SCEA took over for the PS3 America got poo poo like Tokyo Jungle, a bunch of RPGs, and is getting the Project Diva game in another month or so.

There is a metric ton of games that would work in America, but Nintendo isn't even bothering to try and woo those to bring them over for the Wii-U. Hell just letting NOA have a big say in the online structure would be a good thing.

I agree with this, but at the same time look at how NOA marketed this thing... It doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. But Nintendo definitely needs to rethink its home console strategy on every level going forward. We'll see what happens. Fortunately, there's still time to turn this thing around, even this year. Hopefully they can do it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Boiled Water posted:

Do you mean, you have to login on a website to join the internet? If so, the Wii U does this fine, as I used it all this weekend from hotel wifi.

WendigoJohnson posted:

They just need to do a corporate house cleaning and get rid of all the heads running everything.
How does this, stop this from happening?

DrPaper posted:

The Wii U version of Batman Arkaham Origins is going to be the only without multiplayer to focus "development efforts on platforms with the largest multiplayer audience,"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/is-batman-arkham-origins-multiplayer-skipping-wii-u

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

As a PC gamer, this is what consoles are.

All I'm saying is your hypothetical is ridiculous. And why would I want to buy a Boxdog or PS4 when they are porting almost everything to the PC? Hell I can buy their controller and play on the PC. Last gen I had to have both systems for the difference in releases. Thanks to the increase in the base knowledge of tech, once kids are no longer afraid of the PC and realize all of their games are better on the PC, the consoles will be extinct.

I enjoy certain PC games, but PC gamers too often have an overinflated sense of the relevance of their relatively small platform and its alleged superiority over mere mortals. The diversity of hardware impacts the level of visual complexity that can be achieved within a reasonable budget and time period, and then the game ends up on TPB anyway while peers in the mobile and console space make all the money.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Because, at that time, it was one of (the?) cheapest Blu-Ray players, that was also a Playstation that could play games.

Where's Wii U at now btw? 3.5-4 million units sold?

I didn't realize that Sony had a March 31 year end, so here is the breakdown:

The equivalent of the end of June this year, 4.2 million PS3s were sold (sold, not shipped).

The equivalent of the end of September this year, 5.5 million PS3s were sold.

The equivalent of the end of December this year, 10.4 million PS3s were sold.

Sony more than doubled their hardware base by the end of the year. I have no reason to believe Nintendo will do the same.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zomodok posted:

If you understood what was being argued you would have realized that since the tablet doesn't have as much draining going on that it's battery should last longer than the cell phones that have to render everything.

And you're not understanding what I'm saying. They have comparable battery life when using them for the same purpose, yet the Wii U Game Pad battery life is being called horrible. Average Joe consumer doesn't know the difference of what guts are inside each, it gets the same amount of battery life as their iPhone. It even gets the same battery life as the Playstation Vita. Yes, the Game Pad has a smaller battery inside and can fit a bigger one in there, but they clearly decided to sacrifice the size of the battery for overall weight of the device as it is around 500g. Probably because the standard amount of battery life for a portable screen of that size is 3-5 hours and that is what consumers find acceptable.

Meanwhile you're not comparing Apples to Apples. You're comparing a battery on a phone powering a 4 inch screen to a battery in a tablet powering a 6.2 inch screen. You're assuming that because the tablet doesn't have the background processing going on that it should have longer battery life. But you're not accounting for the fact that the screen is 2.2 inches bigger or that streaming video is an entirely different process that also consumes battery life.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've 20 minutes left before I go anywhere and I'm kinda upset with Nintendo, so I'll write some words on the Wii U, why I don't own one, and what could potentially make me buy one.

First, I'll say that I stayed in line for about 24 hours for a Wii on launch. I've owned and still do own literally every Nintendo console and I was really excited for the Wii. Twilight Princess looked awesome, and it was. Galaxies was worth the wait. Unfortunately, that's about it. I mean, it had a few other good to goodish titles (Kirby, SSBB, Donkey Kong Returns), but it was somewhere between Skyward Sword and DKR that I realized that these games would be a lot better if they were taken out of the waggle ecosystem. I use those two games because they incorporate it way differently. DKR uses just one control with waggle: Rolling. Skyward Sword is built around it.

For DKR, Part of the platforming genre is super tight controls. Mega Man, SMB, the original DKC games, etc. all are as solid as they are because the controls feel fantastic. Waggle takes that away because there is no definite termination point where waggle begins and ends. So, rolling became inconsistent -- 95% at best. It was a gross black mark on an otherwise good game.

Skyward Sword suffered a different problem. Now, this drifts more into opinion, but taking the game away from what was primarily adventure and puzzle with a glaze of solid combat into what SS turned into was really disappointing. Ignoring everything else about the game, the controls doomed it in my opinion. The writing was on the wall with the very first item you get: The flying bug. Piloting it was awkward and a stick would have been so much better for it. Fighting enemies that punished you for swing from the wrong direction was frustrating because reseting your swing to the opposite side of your body without triggering an actual swing was frustrating. Charging up the Skyward Strike was finicky and unnecessary. The controls aren't nearly consistent or even control-able enough to build a game around that. Whether you agree or not isn't the point, that's simply my perception of the situation.

This brings us to the Wii U. I don't have a lot of confidence in the console because Nintendo is so heavily invested in the gimmick of their product that they fail to realize that they are damaging it because there console's gimmick has to be a part of it. Instead of enhancing the gameplay with the gimmick, they just jam it in the game and it ends up being to the detriment of the player. I no longer have faith in them to have the self-awareness required to regulate when they use their gimmick of choice, and instead of developing new ideas that are built around drawing/waggle/2 screens, they are just Frankenstein-ing old ideas with their current gimmicks.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against gimmicks because they are gimmicks. Examples of games that make awesome use of the DS exist. Kirby's Canvas Curse was a phenomenal application of the drawing interface and remains one of my favorite games of all time. Meteos was legitimately a better game because it's on the DS. These games can and do exist. It's just that they are the exception, not the rule.

If the Wii U can demonstrate that it's capable of employing it's gimmick cleverly, if it's developers are capable of some self awareness, then I'd be inclined to buy one. History would suggest that Nintendo will continue to produce games that would be better played on a Dualshock controller though and until that changes, it's going to be a hard sell for me.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

abagofcheetos posted:

I didn't realize that Sony had a March 31 year end, so here is the breakdown:

The equivalent of the end of June this year, 4.2 million PS3s were sold (sold, not shipped).

The equivalent of the end of September this year, 5.5 million PS3s were sold.

The equivalent of the end of December this year, 10.4 million PS3s were sold.

Sony more than doubled their hardware base by the end of the year. I have no reason to believe Nintendo will do the same.

Even with a $50-100 price cut, the Wii U more than likely won't perform that well. However, like I said the PS3 at that time (2006-07), was one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players on the market, that also happened to be a Playstation. If I remember, Sony also cut the price by $100 that first year.

Expecting the Wii U to perform as well as even the PS3 is unrealistic. Wii was so successful because it married affordability with innovation/gimmickry. The Wii U only has one of those things going for it.

Nintendo can turn the Wii U into something respectable, but if they waste the rest of this year, and the next 12-18 months, I'll start buying into all the sky is falling prognostications.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How can anyone blame the 3rd parties for not putting enough thought into the 2nd screen when Nintendo itself resorted to using it as a fart button in the new Mario Kart?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The second screen just was not a good enough "gimmick" for 2012 when most people already live a lifestyle of having multiple screens, and often better touch interfaces than the capacitive hell that is the gamepad.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Fallom posted:

How can anyone blame the 3rd parties for not putting enough thought into the 2nd screen when Nintendo itself resorted to using it as a fart button in the new Mario Kart?

It's like Microsoft pushing the Kinect like crazy when Crytek, a company that was paid specifically to make a Kinect killer app, wound up just going "Nope sorry, this thing sucks."

Edit: Actually it's worse than the Kinect. At least Microsoft is getting a mountain of data to sell to advertisers with that piece of crap.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

First, I'll say that I stayed in line for about 24 hours for a Wii on launch. I've owned and still do own literally every Nintendo console and I was really excited for the Wii. Twilight Princess looked awesome, and it was. Galaxies was worth the wait. Unfortunately, that's about it.

This is what I was talking about earlier, with Nintendo just not putting out enough good games to justify owning their console.

I would be a little more generous to the Wii however, since I think Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros Brawl were all great games. At the end of the day though, that's only four games throughout the lifespan of the console.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

MUFFINS, you could be right. This fall's games look pretty good, but they're safe. I'll buy a Wii U for them and 2014's games, but we'll see how many people are like me.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
This is the first non-nintendo result for a google of 'wii u'.

"The next six months is going to be absolutely crucial for Nintendo... If the Wii U doesn't pick up, it would be sensible to think about launching a new console rather than flogging a dead horse... 160,000 units is dismal".

At this point, I've gotta think that Nintendo's biggest problem (in addition to all the others of the Wii U) is that it's being viewed as a failure, and people don't want to back a loser. If a quick search tells me that the thing's a dog, I'm less likely to buy it. Talk of killing the console is hardly going to inspire anyone to buy, especially with two massive competitors releasing soon-ish.

e: for quote. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that it's a massive turn-off for potential buyers to see this sort of thing.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 1, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't want W101 to fail. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

petrol blue posted:

This is the first non-nintendo result for a google of 'wii u'.

At this point, I've gotta think that Nintendo's biggest problem (in addition to all the others of the Wii U) is that it's being viewed as a failure, and people don't want to back a loser. If a quick search tells me that the thing's a dog, I'm less likely to buy it. Talk of killing the console is hardly going to inspire anyone to buy, especially with two massive competitors releasing soon-ish.

Yeah, this is something Nintendo has to deal with too. The narrative is against them and that is something they absolutely have to change if they want to do anything. Nobody wants to back a loser even if it has legitimate things to offer. We saw a bit of a microcosm of that with the PS4/One where the PS4 is still carrying the momentum from being a 'winner' even after the One has reversed a number of its policies. Perception can matter a lot.

The 3DS had a similar problem but got over it by A) Having a successful relaunch and B) Their opponents shooting themselves directly in the foot. Unless the PS4 AND the One manage to pull that off, they can't really hope for B on the Wii U.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

And you're not understanding what I'm saying. They have comparable battery life when using them for the same purpose, yet the Wii U Game Pad battery life is being called horrible. Average Joe consumer doesn't know the difference of what guts are inside each, it gets the same amount of battery life as their iPhone. It even gets the same battery life as the Playstation Vita. Yes, the Game Pad has a smaller battery inside and can fit a bigger one in there, but they clearly decided to sacrifice the size of the battery for overall weight of the device as it is around 500g. Probably because the standard amount of battery life for a portable screen of that size is 3-5 hours and that is what consumers find acceptable.

Meanwhile you're not comparing Apples to Apples. You're comparing a battery on a phone powering a 4 inch screen to a battery in a tablet powering a 6.2 inch screen. You're assuming that because the tablet doesn't have the background processing going on that it should have longer battery life. But you're not accounting for the fact that the screen is 2.2 inches bigger or that streaming video is an entirely different process that also consumes battery life.

For something that's intended to be passed around the house while the TV is in use, three hours of battery life is poor. The fact it's just a remote display adds to the absurdity of it.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
To my mind, the killer is that you can only have one of them (or did someone mention two?).

Recently, my bf kitted up our Wii with four DS's, Four Swords, and Crystal Chronicles. Base a system around a modern take on that and I'm totally there, those things are hilarious amounts of fun. But what's the point if not everyone can have one? That'd be like playing Wii sports where only one person gets motion controls.

e: Or maybe it was GBAs? Whatever the older handheld is that you need one per player. Hell, make some 3DS compatibility even if it can't power four 'tablets' and you're good. Whichever it is, battery life is a long way from being the biggest problem it has.

From a game-design PoV, it means that the 'special' player (with the pad) has to be doing something unique in multiplayer (to help or hinder the other players, which could be cool), but that role also has to be non-essential so you can have single-player games work (making the pad pretty much an inventory screen or similar). A game where the tablet-player is the opposition works fine in multi-player, but wouldn't work at all for single-player. So the only workable option unless you want to effectively make two games is to have the tablet be something that can also be done on-screen (inventory, menus, and so on).

It's like telling developers for the Wii that only player one can have motion controls, but that motion controls need to be a big part of the game.

For example, my first thought on learning about the tablet controller was an action-rpg, where the tablet player is the GM, throwing monsters and traps at the other players in realtime, drawn from a budget of 'badguy points'. Cool, huh? Except, if I was going to make that, how do I make a single-player? Nintendo is notorious about it's online play, so it needs a single-player. So my single-player game is either Dungeon Keeper, or a knockoff Diablo. Either way, I need to make basically a seperate game for single-player, and my game goes from 'unique' to 'competing against existing IPAs'.

Sorry, I'll stop re-editing this rant now.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 1, 2013

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

petrol blue posted:

To my mind, the killer is that you can only have one of them (or did someone mention two?).

Recently, my bf kitted up our Wii with four DS's, Four Swords, and Crystal Chronicles. Base a system around a modern take on that and I'm totally there, those things are hilarious amounts of fun. But what's the point if not everyone can have one? That'd be like playing Wii sports where only one person gets motion controls.

My friend bought a Wii U because he skipped out on the Wii and wanted to play Skyward Sword. I told him go for it so I could play Smash Brothers later without having to buy one. Whenever we do play a game together we're always fighting over who gets the pad, or in some games, who doesn't have to use it.

While I think the idea of asynchronous game-play can be neat, in some of the games (or mini-games) you'd rather play with the controls offered for the pad player, and other times the one for the remote player.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Toady posted:

For something that's intended to be passed around the house while the TV is in use, three hours of battery life is poor. The fact it's just a remote display adds to the absurdity of it.

But that's why it doesn't need a big heavy battery on it, because it sits around the house. I have never said to myself "I can't play my Wii U, the battery is running low" because if that happens I plug it in and keep playing. But I have been on a trip with my iPad and said I can't play a game because it's going to drain my battery and I can't recharge it right away.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

DrPaper posted:

While I think the idea of asynchronous game-play can be neat, in some of the games (or mini-games) you'd rather play with the controls offered for the pad player, and other times the one for the remote player.

Yeah, this is kinda my point - if there's only ever the option for one person to have the pad, you're forced into asynchronous play even if there's no need for it. Either that, or you have the pad do something basically pointless (someone mentioned the rearview in a racing game). I just don't see how you could really take advantage of it when you're making a game, unlike motion controls (even if most implementations were pretty laughable, at least everyone get to do it).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

But that's why it doesn't need a big heavy battery on it, because it sits around the house. I have never said to myself "I can't play my Wii U, the battery is running low" because if that happens I plug it in and keep playing. But I have been on a trip with my iPad and said I can't play a game because it's going to drain my battery and I can't recharge it right away.

But that also shows the needlessness of the pad. The pad already has the same number of buttons as the controller, meanwhile the Classic Controller pro does not have a 3 hour battery life and has a much much better battery. The Wii pad isn't getting used by the majority of the current and upcoming games already as far as anything major goes(i.e. Mario Kart Horn). If they were to go back and re-do it, they probably would have been better off just using the CC pro as their default controller. Because the pad is just filling small nitches of possible gameplay by being shoehorned into things, when you can pretty much serve all the functions already with the CC Pro. That and you can't have 4 pads going on at once like the normal controllers due to the frequency limitations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'd love a Wii U multiplayer game that basically plays like that mod Zombie Master or w/e it was called for Halflife 2. Three players running around shooting zombies, trying to complete objectives, while the pad player gets an over the top view and some constantly funneling in resources that let them buy and direct zombies at them.

Heck, even a game like Natural Selection 2 could work with the pad, unlike on most consoles. If you jump into the command chair/hive you switch to using the touch screen to build things with an over the top view.

Edit: But I doubt any of these are likely to happen in ways that aren't poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

KittyEmpress posted:

I'd love a Wii U multiplayer game that basically plays like that mod Zombie Master or w/e it was called for Halflife 2. Three players running around shooting zombies, trying to complete objectives, while the pad player gets an over the top view and some constantly funneling in resources that let them buy and direct zombies at them.

Heck, even a game like Natural Selection 2 could work with the pad, unlike on most consoles. If you jump into the command chair/hive you switch to using the touch screen to build things with an over the top view.

Edit: But I doubt any of these are likely to happen in ways that aren't poo poo.

You can also perfectly re-create this setting by having a stable online system. When people play over the internet they all have their own screen and there's no need to divide it up like that. Just have everyone use their own TV.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

KittyEmpress posted:

Yep, that'd be awesome. Now, find a way to make the single-player game sell. Not having a go at you, just that all these great ideas are pretty much killed by having to also include a version where all the cool bits don't happen.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

^ that's an issue I have no idea how to fix, but games do come out with no real single player. They just aren't 60AAA titles. Which means only indie devs would do it, and Nintendo is too anti online for even the dumbest indie devs to make online only games for it.

WendigoJohnson posted:

You can also perfectly re-create this setting by having a stable online system. When people play over the internet they all have their own screen and there's no need to divide it up like that. Just have everyone use their own TV.

Except that RTS games suck on consoles but can be fun on tablets in my experience which is why the Wii U could add RTS elements to their games like PCs have had for years. My point wasn't just that it was possible locally, but thanks for trying to read between the lines.

Tldr : the pad could do neat things but Nintendo sucks.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 1, 2013

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Actually, while we're having this discussion - what's the best use anyone's seen of the pad in a game so far?

e: There's few enough game to make it fair to ask 'what are any uses of the pad in a game?'

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 1, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Astro7x posted:

If it's only going to last three hours, it calls into question the value of Off-TV Play and why the screen needed to be so large.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

petrol blue posted:

Actually, while we're having this discussion - what's the best use anyone's seen of the pad in a game so far?

ZombiU in general made good use of the two-screen mechanic by using the divided attention as a point of horror and tension.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

KittyEmpress posted:

^ that's an issue I have no idea how to fix, but games do come out with no real single player. They just aren't 60AAA titles. Which means only indie devs would do it, and Nintendo is too anti online for even the dumbest indie devs to make online only games for it.

Except that RTS games suck on consoles but can be fun on tablets in my experience which is why the Wii U could add RTS elements to their games like PCs have had for years. My point wasn't just that it was possible locally, but thanks for trying to read between the lines.

RTS games don't suck on consoles, you can have Disgaea and Fire Emblem play just fine. You might not be able to have Star Craft II work as intended, then again all systems have a USB port now which could easily allow any generic keyboard to have input.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

petrol blue posted:

Tell me, do ya like maps, son?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

RTS games don't suck on consoles, you can have Disgaea and Fire Emblem play just fine. You might not be able to have Star Craft II work as intended, then again all systems have a USB port now which could easily allow any generic keyboard to have input.

Not to get back into this, but Neither Disgaea nor Fire Emblem is a RTS game. Both are turn-based. The RT aspect is what tends to throw a lot of the console-based stuff off. They generally involve lots of quick micromanaging which is why mouse/keyboard tend to be best for it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

edit: ^^^^^^^^^ booo

WendigoJohnson posted:

RTS is short for realtime strategy, which Disgaea and Fire Emblem are not. I do agree that all RTS games should support generic usb keyboard and mouse though. At least a mouse.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Tell me, do ya like maps, son?

Don't forget inventory screens. That's what the DS used it's second screen for 90% of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

petrol blue posted:

e: There's few enough game to make it fair to ask 'what are any uses of the pad in a game?'

Giving two players each a full screen in Sonic Racing Transformed is pretty nice.

• Locked thread