Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Good news: Super Falz will be running 4 times daily from tomorrow through maintenance next Wednesday. Now's the time to fill in your bingo card or get in some powerleveling. ARKS Ship Inferno will also be running twice daily at set times, though not very convenient ones (noon and 3 AM EST). It'll be running at the same time as the double rare spawn and drop rates this weekend, so you'll have increased chances at good items too, so don't miss it.

I'm gonna use all my rare drop boosting items during that weekend and get super disappointed about not getting a Psycho Wand.

But on a more serious note, I hope that the rare enemy appearance rate is noticeable. I've been wanting to farm the new PAs and some older ones (Assault Buster/Additional Bullet 11+ mainly) but :effort:. Oh yeah farming SW Teardowner might be a good idea too for anyone who wants one. They're down to about 2m on Ship 02 and I'm sure they'll see somewhat of a dip in price over the weekend, but on Tuesday it's going to be gone for good (as far as we know).

Umberger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I'm more interested in trying to farm up a Ricalvary, Gunbraver, or 10 star katana. The really irritating thing for me is that Ricalvary is common enough that if you keep at it, you'll eventually find one, and yet I've found two 10 star rares from Shore farming that are even rarer than it, one of them the rare drop from Tirudha, which also drops Ricalvary as its uncommon drop. I'm not complaining exactly, just I would have been totally satisfied only having found one 10 star rare if it was just that loving bow.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The hell is a Ricalvary? Oh, the bow. They called it "Rikalbari" in PSU. While we're on the subject, I'm still not entirely certain how they got "Compadri" out of コヌパダリ, but that's what they went with.

But yeah, my plan for the rare enemy boost is to try to get the new PAs and such. I only have Namegid and Nafoie so far. Admittedly, those are the best ones, but I'd like to have them all.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

More importantly, Kuna is back, and we all know how much goons love Kuna.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Man, it is weird jumping back and forth between PSO2 and PSP2/PSP2i. I keep trying to play PSP2 like PSO2 and dodge the very instant an enemy makes an attack but the timing is completely different and dodges aren't something you can spam. That said, I'm totally missing all the weapon types that didn't make it into PSO2, like the Axe and Laser Cannon, as well as how diverse the content was.

Not missing the story at all, though :v:.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Surprise Noodle posted:

The hell is a Ricalvary? Oh, the bow. They called it "Rikalbari" in PSU. While we're on the subject, I'm still not entirely certain how they got "Compadri" out of コヌパダリ, but that's what they went with.

But yeah, my plan for the rare enemy boost is to try to get the new PAs and such. I only have Namegid and Nafoie so far. Admittedly, those are the best ones, but I'd like to have them all.

I only ever played the original Dreamcast PSO, so I'm just translating poo poo on my own based on how western words are typically transliterated into katakana. It's one of those things that's hard to get right unless you can ask the original writer what they had in mind when it's not a real word or name. There's also ambiguous stuff like Fossil Tricks, which could just as easily be Fossil Torix or Fossil Trikus etc. Combine this with the fact that the vast majority of UI translation involves getting a contextless text dump, or at best an Excel workbook with text strings organized by UI element, but either way with pretty much no documentation and no access to the original writer, so it's best guesses all the way. People who actually have their poo poo together will send you a dictionary for your translation memory software (TradOS or whatever), but that describes pretty much no Japanese development house ever.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Nah, I get it. I was just legitimately confused what the hell you were talking about at first. Those are both equally "correct", just one fits with the other Yohmei bows (Alteri, Dalteri, Compadri, Rikalbari, Baybari, Hikauri, Hanmateri, Roksari, Ulteri, Hirokteri, Rikauteri, Nasuyoteri, Hiryujiteri). It...makes sense if you played PSU. It's nice to have precedent on things like this, even if SEGA can't keep their own localizations straight (I'm looking at you, Stag Cutralli!).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

This game has characters with names like Melfonseana so the correct answer is "whatever sounds the least dumb in English, because the person who came up with the original name didn't give a gently caress anyway."

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
A lot of the NPCs are named after minor planetoids, and there happens to be one such cosmic entity named Alphonsina. So, Melphonsina. Seeing the pattern, we can sort of guess at the original intent.

Then again, there also seems to be some NPC named Mellandia. MelLANDia...MelphonSEAna????? I dunno. :shrug:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Sega are honestly no worse than anyone else. I did some work for Norton Japan (subsidiary of the software developer) involving translating a press release they had prepared for a promotional campaign for their network security software where they would be giving away USB thumb drives shaped like omamori amulets which were named with the unfortunate portmanteau "OMAMORY"(sic). It took several emails back and forth to explain to the guy that not only does it not make any sense in English, but also could potentially be mistakenly pronounced like and associated with mammary, which could be embarrassing. Another fun example was translating an interview by a Japanese band for a music magazine in the UK, and having to suggest some alterations to a passage where the lead singer says he was influenced by "English bands like the Corrs", who happen to be Irish, to avoid pissing off a lot of Irish people and looking like morons.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Surprise Noodle posted:

A lot of the NPCs are named after minor planetoids, and there happens to be one such cosmic entity named Alphonsina. So, Melphonsina. Seeing the pattern, we can sort of guess at the original intent.
So which poor unfortunate celestial body was adorned the name, "Dudu" and by who?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MR. J posted:

So which poor unfortunate celestial body was adorned the name, "Dudu" and by who?

Welp, apparently that's a real thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/564_Dudu

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Now I want to find out which characters are named after them. I know there's Marlu (Marlur according to Sega), Dudu, "Melphonseana"... Let's see what else we can find:

As it turns out, a WHOLE loving LOT.

Echo
Zeno
Fourier
Revelle
Phillia
Laura (Does the patch still use Lola for her? If that's the name you prefer here you go)
Jo[z]sef
Melitta
Kressida
Klotho
Barbara
Astarte
Sara
Farmer
Lottie
Io
Jose
Lachesis
Hilda
Roberta
Noemi
Rebekka
Anneliese
Melanie
Elly
Felicia
Monica
Tiflis
Salome
Nissa
Beer? The skill counter guy. I don't know what name the translations use. His name is also read/spelled differently from the normal Japanese way of writing "beer." So this one may be off.
Alagas
Ouza?
Aki?
Franka?
Luther?

Baize (the code destruction thing)
Clarissa (the weapon used to (un)seal Dark Falz)
Themis (the name of the ship that the city story quest takes place on)
Wrong PS game, but pretty interesting

So basically it would be easier to count the number of characters (incidental or not) that aren't named after planetoids. But hey, now we can predict the next few new NPC names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9951_Tyrannosaurus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12796_Kamenrider

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Only if we get a MASSIMUM DORIVU photon blast as part of the PSO X Kamen Rider collaboration.

e: vvv

Protocol 5 posted:

Also, boss mag evolution devices. Who among you could resist Dark Magne? I couldn't.

I'd rather they bring back more PSO mag devices, but again I'm sure they will show up with the inevitable PSO clothes AC scratch and whatnot. Want Pushan.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 31, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

They really should dig into 70s and 80s stuff for costumes and whatnot. Who wouldn't want an original-style Kamen Rider costume/cast parts with voice pack? No? Then what about Mazinger? How about Kenshiro's outfit from Fist of the North Star, and the shirt randomly rips off when you do a PA?

Also, boss mag evolution devices. Who among you could resist Dark Magne? I couldn't.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Umberger posted:

Want Pushan.

gently caress that. I want my burger mag back. :colbert:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

MR. J posted:

gently caress that. I want my :burger: mag back. :colbert:
it is honestly the only mag device I will use without second thought.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

MR. J posted:

I forgot it existed to be honest. I'd be pretty okay with that coming back too. I'm really surprised mag evolution devices aren't released more often, you'd figure there are a ton they could pull from PSO alone.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
Has anyone else had a problem where the camera keeps moving upwards by itself without any input?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

fuxxo posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where the camera keeps moving upwards by itself without any input?

Controller or mouse&keyboard?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

fuxxo posted:

Are you using a keyboard or a controller? Sorry if you've already checked, but if it's a controller, it could just be the stick drifting off-center or miscalibrated somehow.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

fuxxo posted:

I always have to unplug then re-plug in my controller when I start the game, because it does this every single time.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MR. J posted:

Screw that, if I can't have a dreamcast mag I don't want any of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

waah posted:

Screw that, if I can't have a dreamcast mag I don't want any of them.

I just want a Model 1 Mega Drive. Is that so much to ask?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anyone have an alternate link to the English patch? (The small/UI-only one, not the story patch.) The link in the OP and the tweaked launcher are both down.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Current English patch:

Main files: http://hiigara.arghargh200.net/pso2/patch_2013_07_31.rar

Large files: http://hiigara.arghargh200.net/pso2/2013_07_18_largefiles.rar

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What exactly does the Large Files patch do anyways?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Translates things like what NPCs or dispatchers say during quests. With large files patched, you'll know why that idiot crashed again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thank you!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just want a Model 1 Mega Drive. Is that so much to ask?

Master system or the opa opa mag. Shouldn't even be hard since there's already a master system room item and the starting mag kinda looks like opa opa.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Edoraz posted:

Controller or mouse&keyboard?

Mouse and Keyboard, but I just realised I have a controller plugged in that I didn't check. Ended up fixing itself though.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Agh. All this talk of AC's and collectible stuff and different mag's is a little overwhelming. Is this all end game stuff i should worry about later? Right now I'm just feeding my mag to 30, trying to unlock all the dungeons, and do client orders.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

polish sausage posted:

Agh. All this talk of AC's and collectible stuff and different mag's is a little overwhelming. Is this all end game stuff i should worry about later? Right now I'm just feeding my mag to 30, trying to unlock all the dungeons, and do client orders.

Don't worry too much about it. I'm actually rerolling a character and I was 25 RA before then. Just didn't like how my character looked. It's a great chance to catch up this weekend with the Falz crap and whatnot. Endgame stuff is really for when you wanna start working toward it. From what I understand there are multiple avenues of getting good gear and you should be fine.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Chark is the only mag I need in my heart. :colbert:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I just want to take a moment here to express my irritation with the retarded Block system. In a party and get disconnected on a high pop block? Well, tough poo poo, buddy. Your party will either have to switch blocks, replace you, or run with 3. This is especially annoying when you get disconnected during DF at a low traffic time, so all of the server population is jammed into a handful of blocks and all the rest are deserted, and you're stuck playing block roulette hoping to find one with 11 people of the right level range. The total lack of any effort to balance server pop across blocks is lazy as gently caress, and even if you have premium, you're still hosed in the above situation, since the premium space will be maxed out too. The whole setup is just terribly designed.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Protocol 5 posted:

Then what about Mazinger?

Rocket Punch weapon camo for wired lances, ooh yeah.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Ummmm......http://arkive.info/weapons/Rocket%20Punchers

VVVVV - Yeah I know. Just figured he might not know about the weapon.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Weapon Camo. That way you can use it with Wired Lances that don't suck. The actual Rocket Punch weapon has really terrible stats, even compared with the other all-class WLs, and it's 10 star to boot.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I don't believe this has been mentioned but it really should be. There's a page up for the community design contest, and some of the entrants are absolutely fantastic.

http://pso2.jp/players/event/1st_anniversary/itemdesigncontest2013/nominate/accessory/

The red, blue, and green tabs switch between weapons, outfits, and accessories.

Personal standouts I feel are the rappy tutu and Sakai ghost accessories. Along with the hero rappy outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dawnfire posted:

Personal standouts I feel are the rappy tutu and Sakai ghost accessories. Along with the hero rappy outfit.

Dudu Launcher/Rifle of some sort.

So are these all redrawn by professionals/PSO2 designers, or are the submissions really just this high quality?

• Locked thread