Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The repetition of 'burying the lede' makes me suspicious. Someone come up with an insane conspiracy theory about the broad metaphorical cosmic significance of that phrase, please?

The best part of the update, though, is clearly this:

quote:

ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interests
ARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairy
ARQUIUSPRITE: Livestock
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fine art
ARQUIUSPRITE: And muscles
DIRK: Those are your interests.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Good point
ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

PleasingFungus posted:

The repetition of 'burying the lede' makes me suspicious.
What would you do if a dog died?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dirk's exasperated "You are without a doubt the shittiest mystical guide anyone has ever had." is pretty great too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

The repetition of 'burying the lede' makes me suspicious. Someone come up with an insane conspiracy theory about the broad metaphorical cosmic significance of that phrase, please?

Not done this in a while, but I'll see what I can do....

The phrase "burying the lede" has been used twice, first by the narration and second by Arquius. In both cases the idiom is used in its most straightforward figurative sense, so I don't think there's a hidden meaning in that particular choice of phrase. The narrator calls the phrase a "primitive observation" ascribed to the reader, whereas Arquius takes every opportunity to state or insinuate that he is a highly advanced being. It could just be underscoring his buffoonish character (appropriately, given the context, the mockery precedes the mockee). Since this is Homestuck after all, there's always the possibility that some forthcoming instance of it will be more interesting.

As a side note, I failed to mention in the other day's update how appropriate it is that Jane is telling Dirk to "CEASE REPRODUCTION" (reproducing is another way of saying splintering).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, this really is a good time to get Dirk talking to someone. Usually, he's too busy to talk. Just look at the first time he and Dave ran into each other. This time, he has nothing better to do.

It occurs to me that John and Dirk know less about each other than most characters in this story. I could see John delivering a few choice words of advice on talking to Dave.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

You know, this really is a good time to get Dirk talking to someone. Usually, he's too busy to talk. Just look at the first time he and Dave ran into each other. This time, he has nothing better to do.

I'm holding out for some ol' fashioned Strider family sword fighting. 13 years of Bro-inflicted midnight puppet-rear end imbroglios demand vengeance.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dirk seemed to sound a lot like Dave this update, I'm not sure what it is exactly. It might be that both Dirk and Dave would approach this exasperating situation in fairly similar ways. Still, unless that last page was Hussie's way of indicating that Dirk will spend the next three hours in radio silence, they'll probably get to talking at some point.

It's neat to think of Davesprite and ARquiusprite bonding over their mutual experiences as offshoots of the original thing. Sort of like the brief time that Jadesprite and Davesprite spent together.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dolash posted:

Dirk seemed to sound a lot like Dave this update, I'm not sure what it is exactly. It might be that both Dirk and Dave would approach this exasperating situation in fairly similar ways. Still, unless that last page was Hussie's way of indicating that Dirk will spend the next three hours in radio silence, they'll probably get to talking at some point.

It's neat to think of Davesprite and ARquiusprite bonding over their mutual experiences as offshoots of the original thing. Sort of like the brief time that Jadesprite and Davesprite spent together.

I dunno, I can imagine Dave just kind of giving up and ironically going along with the conversation. He HAS had some experience with Equius' weird poo poo before, after all.

Especially since Discount Dave seems to do more or less that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hahahahaha so the tumblr outrage brigade is now flipping its collective poo poo over the face that ARquiussprite said that girls have boobs. Apparently this is a sign that Hussie is and I quote "a cissexist piece of poo poo". :allears:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The best reaction to somebody blowing a poor choice of words out of proportion is to ignore it, rather than draw attention to it. :eng101:

In other news, "It seems I have a lot in common with myself" is a wonderful turn of phrase.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Hahahahaha so the tumblr outrage brigade is now flipping its collective poo poo over the face that ARquiussprite said that girls have boobs. Apparently this is a sign that Hussie is and I quote "a cissexist piece of poo poo". :allears:

Further proof Tumblr is a COINTELPRO op aimed at discrediting people who care about things.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cabbit posted:

The best reaction to somebody blowing a poor choice of words out of proportion is to ignore it, rather than draw attention to it. :eng101:

In other news, "It seems I have a lot in common with myself" is a wonderful turn of phrase.

Sorry I thought this was a forum for making fun of dumb poo poo on the internet.

Also, "Yes, I canter magine it won't be". I forgot about the horse puns.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
In case anyone really wanted to know what they were missing on the last page:

DIRK: What's happening?
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> What do you mean?
DIRK: What?
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> Sir dude, you are breaking up
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> Another glut of artifa% must be blowing through your region
DIRK: I can't understand you.
DIRK: Are you just cursing non-stop now?
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> Stand by, I will use my potent algorithms to decode your gibberish
DIRK: Hello???
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> I command you to say more interesting things than hello
ARQUIUSPRITE: >--> That was too easy to decode

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Was there ever a time when Arquius has not been solid gold?

I've never enjoyed it. It's always ridiculously longwinded and the joke is always "haha he's having a super wordy conversation about things that make you uncomfortable." Also he mostly talks with the least interesting character in the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Honestly I liked regular Equius way, way more, but hey at least this partially brought him back.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never enjoyed it. It's always ridiculously longwinded and the joke is always "haha he's having a super wordy conversation about things that make you uncomfortable." Also he mostly talks with the least interesting character in the comic.

Glad I'm not the only one that finds Dirk to be a brutally uninteresting character. It didn't help that he often talked with his just-as-boring AI younger self during a good portion of Act 6. That said, I think the inclusion of ARquiusprite is a brilliant idea, and these past few updates firmly prove that. Thanks Equius.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's whats known as the straight man, off which a more colourful character will play against. Which is doubly ironic just because Dirk isnt.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone notice that ARquius called briefs "snug banana hammocks"? ARquius is incredible and so is Hussie. I just want to read his dialogue forever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

I am the transiest of transgirls and that is pretty much the dumbest response ever, holy poo poo. The gently caress is wrong with you, tumblr, I mean drat that is some quality overreaction.

Also Arquius owns so hard forever. I want him to keep bothering people through the rest of the comic. :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Thwack! posted:

That said, I think the inclusion of ARquiusprite is a brilliant idea, and these past few updates firmly prove that. Thanks Equius.

Agreed, of all the non-action of Act 6, the birth of ARquiusprite is easily the best idea Hussie has ever had.

I honestly have no idea why.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Pack it up. We're done here.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

Fucknag posted:

God there is such a difference between being cisnormative and being cissexist just please pick your battles better, friends.

quote:

ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about your interests
ARQUIUSPRITE: Like dairy
ARQUIUSPRITE: Livestock
ARQUIUSPRITE: Fine art
ARQUIUSPRITE: And muscles
DIRK: Those are your interests.
ARQUIUSPRITE: Good point
ARQUIUSPRITE: I advise you to talk about my interests

This is such a great exchange. Sometimes I forget I'm not just reading out of habit and obligation but that I genuinely love this weird-rear end comic.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite part has to be Dirk not understanding the graphic artifacts and wondering if Arquisprite is just swearing a lot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think this is the first time I've ever looked at the chatlog and thought "I really don't want to read all this." Can anyone give me a quick summary of anything it contains that's actually relevant to the plot?

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever looked at the chatlog and thought "I really don't want to read all this." Can anyone give me a quick summary of anything it contains that's actually relevant to the plot?

Arquissprite is talking with Davesprite. It's going to take Dirk 3 hours to get back to the session. He may message Dave while heading back.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Dairy,
Livestock,
Muscles,
Fine Arts (contains all of the above)

(they will be vital to the plot I assure you)

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 1, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yep, last person to leave just turn off the lights.

KoB
May 1, 2009

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Did anyone notice that ARquius called briefs "snug banana hammocks"? ARquius is incredible and so is Hussie. I just want to read his dialogue forever.

Briefs and banana hammocks are separate things.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Bongo Bill posted:

As a side note, I failed to mention in the other day's update how appropriate it is that Jane is telling Dirk to "CEASE REPRODUCTION" (reproducing is another way of saying splintering).

Another interpretation I saw that amused me was CEASE = stop -> turn off -> off and REPRODUCTION = gently caress, robojane telling him to gently caress off in a convoluted tiaratop way.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

senseinobu posted:

Arquissprite is talking with Davesprite. It's going to take Dirk 3 hours to get back to the session. He may message Dave while heading back.

Also, Diuerse Jacks are approaching at similar speed.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nighthand posted:

Another interpretation I saw that amused me was CEASE = stop -> turn off -> off and REPRODUCTION = gently caress, robojane telling him to gently caress off in a convoluted tiaratop way.

That's, uh, kind of a stretch.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Nighthand posted:

Yes, this seems way more likely than her simply conveying the Condesce's anti-reproduction message, you're right.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nighthand posted:

The real interesting thing is that CEASE REPRODUCTION is an anagram of A CODPIECE RUSE TORN - Hussie is clearly foreshadowing that Gamzee's codpiece is a distaction (and will soon be torn).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dorroile posted:

The real interesting thing is that CEASE REPRODUCTION is an anagram of A CODPIECE RUSE TORN - Hussie is clearly foreshadowing that Gamzee's codpiece is a distaction (and will soon be torn).

Or "A CODPIECE, ROSE, TURN!"

It's a warning, he's right behind her :ohdear:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
To be fair, it can also be RUN A CODPIECE STORE, which is some pretty solid advice. Thanks Evil Jane!

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Update!

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008282

I'm a little disappointed that Dave is the one who is supposed to deal the final blow on English. Spades Slick should be the one to do it. :colbert:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Is there more to it than the menu? I can't click on any of them to go anywhere.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, the one that "works" doesn't seem to actually work. You can get to the actual Dave and Jade pages by scrolling down to the "latest pages" box, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The left panel is supposed to be the one you can click on, but it appears to do nothing. You can just select the next page from the "latest pages" column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Is this a reference to Oregon Trail?: "you...trudge listlessly through the one dimensional narrative. Just like the early settlers did, before they had toilets or cures for stuff".

I can't think of any specific reason why Oregon Trail would be mentioned, other than so many of us grew up playing it.

There is actually not that many computer or video games mentioned in Homestuck directly, so it would be interesting if that was the reference.