Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I would say the standard FFIX translation, minus a few errors here and there, is the definitive translation. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Zidane is a definite womanizer, but that's really all he is - he doesn't take it to creepy levels like Edgar or anything.

Also he's 16 so yyyyyeah. Not that that's ever stopped Japan but I'm sure Square-Enix had at least some considerations of Western audiences.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Isn't it also largely a cultural thing, and a big part of why FFIV is "one of the most popular" is because it was a huge hit in Japan? I rarely hear anyone adulate 4 when we talk about final fantasies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

fount of knowledge posted:

Isn't it also largely a cultural thing, and a big part of why FFIV is "one of the most popular" is because it was a huge hit in Japan? I rarely hear anyone adulate 4 when we talk about final fantasies.

It's becoming increasingly rare to hear people go on about 4, but it was pretty commonly listed as one of the top Final Fantasies a decade ago (which was only, what, 2 main series games ago?). Even though it was the first game in the series I played, I've personally never been a fan (past the first couple months where I rented it from the video store a million times and had to restart every time). All the "noble sacrifices" are so forced and just transparent attempts to switch up the team, and the gameplay is nothing special. I forced myself to finally finish it a year ago or so.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I rank the SNES FFs pretty high off pure nostalgia but 4 can't really compete with 5 and 6. I still kinda think it's more cliched than genuinely terrible.

FF4: The After Years is genuinely terrible though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

I rank the SNES FFs pretty high off pure nostalgia but 4 can't really compete with 5 and 6. I still kinda think it's more cliched than genuinely terrible.

FF4: The After Years is genuinely terrible though.

And FF4: Interlude is like you went to go make a meal and had a piece of decent bread and a piece of stale, moldy bread and decided that this isn't enough, you wanted a sandwhich.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Zidane is a definite womanizer, but that's really all he is - he doesn't take it to creepy levels like Edgar or anything.

I wouldn't say womanizer in the classic more creepy sense. Zidane is too responsible for that and I would suspect he'd be staying pretty loyal to Garnet as he considers it serious. He's just... playful. It's a stupid term and sounds creepy on its own, but I can't describe it better.

It's at least my experience with that charachter type (or at least how I interpreted Zidane). They're all actually pretty loyal with their girlfriends/wives. (And are all as well against objectification).

Hell, thinking about it. If I factor in Zidane taking care of/helping Vivi I pretty much know an exact Zidane in real-life. :psyduck:

Maybe that's why he is my favourite Final Fantasy protagonist. He's a cool, chill dude who has his wit and responsible side as well and doesn't sulk around constantly. Coming from Cloud and *blegh* Squall he was pretty much the biggest draw into the game for me.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If Zidane's personality is considered creepy then I think it is finally time to take a step back and reevaluate where the line is drawn between creepy and not creepy in a video game. I think that some people are casting too wide of a net lately. Zidane is not creepy for the reasons others have cited here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

If Zidane's personality is considered creepy then I think it is finally time to take a step back and reevaluate where the line is drawn between creepy and not creepy in a video game. I think that some people are casting too wide of a net lately. Zidane is not creepy for the reasons others have cited here.

Teenagers can be (and often are) creepers. The thing with Zidane is that even eventually grows out of it, but you can't pretend the dude doesn't do some sleazy things early on. He just eventally stops doing it because, y'know, character growth.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Teenagers can be (and often are) creepers. The thing with Zidane is that even eventually grows out of it, but you can't pretend the dude doesn't do some sleazy things early on. He just eventally stops doing it because, y'know, character growth.

I think that was his point; there should probably be a dividing line between "he's a teenager who thinks about sex" and "he's a total sex-crazed pervert." Flirting with girls and going for a quick butt touch isn't really creepy for a teenager.

Compare this to grown men game publishers who insist on having their characters having boob jiggling and destructible clothing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

4:japan::6:USA

that's the way I've always heard it at least

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'd have trouble remembering what. He never goes too far and acts pretty naturally as well as responsible (Looking after both Garnet and Vivi, including getting angry with himself when it goes awry). There's nothing malicious about his actions.

His charachter growth in that respect is mainly that he gets interested in Garnet and begins to develop a *serious* relationship with a person (there's other stuff as well, but I let that slide here). I'd expect him to interact in that playful way with others even after the game ends. Naturally he will grow out of that later, but for a guy between 16-25/30 at max (Though, that is already creepy) I would call that a pretty natural interaction.

Edit: Not the butt touching of course.

Pringles_School fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 31, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There is a difference between being a big flirt and playful vs being creepy. Zidane is easily one of the biggest flirts in FF history but he rarely takes things too far and the times that he does really are not that bad for a 16 year old especially since those instances are very few. That doesn't make his character or any teen a perverted creep for having done so in their life. This is exactly what I mean by casting too wide of a net.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Final Fantasy: Every character is the worst in the series. Except Balthier. And T.G. Cid. I would have said Cids in general, but FFD is a thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Final Fantasy: Every character is the worst in the series. Except Balthier. And T.G. Cid. I would have said Cids in general, but FFD is a thing.

Also; FFVIII Cid because that game is jumbled mess. You can't fail me! I hate you! You're not even my real dad!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Gologle posted:

I never liked T.G. Cid. I don't need an overpowered character, game! I can make my own overpowered characters! And they'll be able to use their skillsets without restrictive equipment choices!

"Don't you need the power of the Thunder God?" Nope! Dismissed!

I guess he's okay from a story perspective, but I'd have rather gotten Olan as a PC. Delicious Galaxy Stop.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

I never liked T.G. Cid. I don't need an overpowered character, game! I can make my own overpowered characters! And they'll be able to use their skillsets without restrictive equipment choices!

"Don't you need the power of the Thunder God?" Nope! Dismissed!

I guess he's okay from a story perspective, but I'd have rather gotten Olan as a PC. Delicious Galaxy Stop.

"I don't want an overpowered character! But man, I wish we got the character that can Stop, Don't Move, and Don't Act every enemy on the battlefield for free..." :allears:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

T. G. Cid looked like Obi-Wan Kenobi. You don't want Obi-Wan Kenobi on your team?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Gologle posted:

Y'know that actually makes me think- has anyone ever said they don't like Galuf? I've heard people say they disliked every Final Fantasy character under the sun, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they don't like Galuf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only Galuf I really enjoyed was the GBA translation one where they took a lot of liberties with him. Otherwise he's basically a fairly thin retread of Tellah but a little less pissed off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kung Fu Jesus, you're right, Eggman's voice would be perfect for voicing Steiner.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Also; FFVIII Cid because that game is jumbled mess. You can't fail me! I hate you! You're not even my real dad!

Cid 8 is basically a portly, mild-mannered Big Boss, in that he abducts and brainwashes orphans to turn them into loyal child soldiers for an obscure and personally-motivated mission to change the world, and does mercenary work to raise funds in the mean time.

Nemdlin
Oct 12, 2012

It's easy when you know how.
Final Fantasy 8 Cid always reminded me of Robin Williams visually. Whenever I play his voice defaults to Williams' in my head.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I rarely hear anyone adulate 4 when we talk about final fantasies.

I rant and rave about it every now and then, though I've already summed up everything I enjoyed about the game in my Let's Play of it. Of course, part of it is nostalgia, but I still think it had a great execution and worked because it didn't really try to overreach in the plot, keeping things simple and just the right amount of silliness. The game definitely has flaws, and it's easy to see why people wouldn't like the game compared to later games, but I still enjoy the characters, I like some of the clever things they do with the plot, I like how the gameplay and the story work together well, I love the music, and so on.

It's not my favorite FF (probably not even top three or so) but I still think it's a solid game even today that's still worth a playthrough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but at the bit in FFX where Tidus leans the Jecht Shot (this part) the commands to learn it just don't work. I hit up-right and X, but the floating purple box just doesn't go away no matter how much I mash. It's been years since I've played this, so I'm probably just missing something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

T. G. Cid looked like Obi-Wan Kenobi. You don't want Obi-Wan Kenobi on your team?

No, gently caress Obi Wan. I want Gaff Gafgarion because he looks like a goat.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but at the bit in FFX where Tidus leans the Jecht Shot (this part) the commands to learn it just don't work. I hit up-right and X, but the floating purple box just doesn't go away no matter how much I mash. It's been years since I've played this, so I'm probably just missing something.

Are you using the dpad or the analog stick?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Mega64 posted:

I rant and rave about it every now and then, though I've already summed up everything I enjoyed about the game in my Let's Play of it. Of course, part of it is nostalgia, but I still think it had a great execution and worked because it didn't really try to overreach in the plot, keeping things simple and just the right amount of silliness. The game definitely has flaws, and it's easy to see why people wouldn't like the game compared to later games, but I still enjoy the characters, I like some of the clever things they do with the plot, I like how the gameplay and the story work together well, I love the music, and so on.

It's not my favorite FF (probably not even top three or so) but I still think it's a solid game even today that's still worth a playthrough.

Final Fantasy 4 is also where the Final Fantasy series came into it's own. FF1-3 are still perfectly playable, but in many ways they don't quite feel like FF games, and they're all severely flawed in one way or another. FF4 is where the series's famous bombastic finally shone through.

Also I will praise the gently caress out of FF4. Yes, FF4 is my first Final Fantasy, one of the my first video games period, and I'm being blinded by nostalgia. I don't care. FF4 is my favorite Final Fantasy and it's awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dukerson posted:

Are you using the dpad or the analog stick?
D-Pad, but I gave the analog stick a shot at some point too I'm pretty sure.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

IV gets a lot more love from me because the characters aren't coat racks. IV, IX, and to a lesser extent X are the ones where everybody has their own skills and abilities and you have to use what you have to try to get through. X not so much, since every character can be switched to at any given turn. IX and IV though, you can't just cast Fire 3 every round or use Curaga whenever, you have to manage and think about the fights so every battle becomes a bit more of a puzzle. Sure, you can spam attack, OR you could cast Slow on this thing, have Yang build power, send Edward into hiding until you need to split Hi-Potions, so on and so forth. Also, IV is one of the harder Final Fantasy games if you don't grind, and if you aren't prepared (or know ahead of time, more to the point), some dungeons can wreck your poo poo. The Magnetic Cave was a roadblock for me for a long time until I figured out that I could find equipment that wouldn't weigh me down. OK, it was a roadblock until I was 14, but that was several attempted playthroughs in.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
FF IV has the best soundtrack out of any FF game not named X :colbert:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

alcharagia posted:

Y'know that actually makes me think- has anyone ever said they don't like Galuf? I've heard people say they disliked every Final Fantasy character under the sun, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they don't like Galuf.

My biggest problem with Galuf is that he dies and Krile comes into the party instead. Now I have 3 characters in profile and Krile whos drawn with a 3/4th turn. She just stares at you, all battle....

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Plus none of her outfits are remotely as cool as Galuf's. Why couldn't we get that werewolf dude instead?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

FF IV has the best soundtrack out of any FF game not named X :colbert:

This is the truth.

Gologle posted:

Ya know, I always thought FFX Cid was an underrated Cid. He's not the best but I liked his Drill Sergeant Dad voice and attitude. He may in fact be the best father in the series.
...granted, I'm not sure what competition he has. Hojo?

And you can't blame him for X-2 Rikku and Brother because they obviously became rampant drug abusers.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 1, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He may in fact be the best father in the series.
...granted, I'm not sure what competition he has.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, I always thought FFX Cid was an underrated Cid. He's not the best but I liked his Drill Sergeant Dad voice and attitude. He may in fact be the best father in the series.
...granted, I'm not sure what competition he has. Hojo?

And you can't blame him for X-2 Rikku and Brother because they obviously became rampant drug abusers.

Laguna and Jecht. :colbert:

Granted their children didn't turn out nearly as well but hey, maybe it skips a generation.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
I think IV is pretty good because most of the remakes take time to mess with Kain.

GBA version: other people's post-game moon dungeons are fairly light and cheery affairs; in his you can choose to kill Cecil.
DS version: in the menu, where the player can see little thought bubbles for each of the party members, you can check in on his descent into madness during the Sealed Cave, and in the last dungeon, he's like "Oh god am I losing my mind again? Shiiit :smith:"
The After Years: Congratulations, Kain, you got to undergo the same boring trial as your friend did almost two decades ago! Now you have to ditch your cool helmet and put on the most byoootiful tiara. Also you get Cecil's old Red Wings job. And him and Rosa's kid will constantly follow you around and bug you.

Good times!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ern Malley posted:

I think IV is pretty good because most of the remakes take time to mess with Kain.

GBA version: other people's post-game moon dungeons are fairly light and cheery affairs; in his you can choose to kill Cecil.
DS version: in the menu, where the player can see little thought bubbles for each of the party members, you can check in on his descent into madness during the Sealed Cave, and in the last dungeon, he's like "Oh god am I losing my mind again? Shiiit :smith:"
The After Years: Congratulations, Kain, you got to undergo the same boring trial as your friend did almost two decades ago! Now you have to ditch your cool helmet and put on the most byoootiful tiara. Also you get Cecil's old Red Wings job. And him and Rosa's kid will constantly follow you around and bug you.

Good times!

I like that The After Years completely missed the point of the Paladin trial by having Cecil retroactively half-fail at it by not viciously assaulting his Dark Knight past and murdering it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Ern Malley posted:

Good times!

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

The DS version of FFIV is easily the best version of the game. It's also the hardest--not in a "you need to grind for hours" way, but just in an "everything is a real threat to you all the time" way--which may or may not be appealing. I'm sure there's a Let's Play out there, but also Kain's descent into madness is really just a few short messages while going through the menu in certain areas of the game.