Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is my favourite lens review.

See the pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whatever7 posted:

All 24mm/2.8 lens cost north of $200. You should have brought the EOS M + 22/2 deal for 299. You can't find a better lens under 300 bux.

Yeah, it's going to be a little tricky to find one, but I think having a 35mm will give me a little leeway in finding something wider. At least knowing I won't be forever stuck shooting 80+ equiv :)

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, it's going to be a little tricky to find one, but I think having a 35mm will give me a little leeway in finding something wider. At least knowing I won't be forever stuck shooting 80+ equiv :)

Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8. Should be available in EX for <$100, in any MF mount you prefer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have the battery grip for the OM-D? How do you like it?

A few are finally hitting the used market and now I'm much more curious because gently caress paying $300 for one.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

whatever7 posted:

I just rent a L lens from Adorama. I had no idea they have all three Fuji X bodies and XF lens for rent until this post.

I know what I will rent come next vacation.

No poo poo, can't believe I didn't think to rent them. The camera shops around here don't have the X-E1 or X100s and I'd really like to play with them before pulling the trigger.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

No poo poo, can't believe I didn't think to rent them. The camera shops around here don't have the X-E1 or X100s and I'd really like to play with them before pulling the trigger.

I rented my X100s from lensrentals.com. Worked out great.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

Anyone have the battery grip for the OM-D? How do you like it?

A few are finally hitting the used market and now I'm much more curious because gently caress paying $300 for one.

I've got one, and I really like it. If you're planning on shooting for extended periods of time, or using/adapting heavy lenses it definitely makes the whole thing easier to hold.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Mr. Despair posted:

I've got one, and I really like it. If you're planning on shooting for extended periods of time, or using/adapting heavy lenses it definitely makes the whole thing easier to hold.

The grip part doesn't have a battery right? Just the bottom part. I think I might need to get the grip either way, the Panasonic 12-35 is a bit front heavy on such a light body.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Laser Cow posted:

The grip part doesn't have a battery right? Just the bottom part. I think I might need to get the grip either way, the Panasonic 12-35 is a bit front heavy on such a light body.

It comes as a set but you can definitely use just the grip part and not the battery part.

e: apparently there are aftermarket grips as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Really-Right-Stuff-BOEM5-Arca-Swiss-Plate-Grip-for-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-Camera-/321172159205

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Laser Cow posted:

Right, there's 2 parts, the front grip and the vertical grip/battery holder. I'd say to get it over an aftermarket grip just because it adds the extra shutter release on the grip, and it's just more substantial overall than those aftermarket grips that have to cut corners so that you can still reach the normal shutter release.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly's battery grip parts do also maintain the weather sealing, if that's important to you.

If only more than 2 of their loving lenses did :argh:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get the Olympus one then, the shutter release and weather sealing are quite important.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Surprised I haven't seen mention of the rumored new Panasonic GX7 here.

It's pretty sexy, IMO. In terms of looks and specs.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-images-and-specs-of-the-panasonic-gx7/

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It's pretty sexy, IMO. In terms of looks and specs.

Wow, look at that crazy tiltable EVF. That's what the E-P5 should look like, in my opinion. If that had a Sony sensor and Olympus IBIS, I would 100% be getting that.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, what a blatant styling rip off of the Fuji X-E1. :v:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It's like they read my mind when I thought "I like the interface on my G3 but all these Olympus and Fuji's have a nicer body and better controls, if only I could somehow get the best of both worlds".

Edit: Trying to use that EVF for low shots would give you backache though.

Edit 2: :lol:

quote:

Yup, the strap lugs are nearly dead center, what a pity. They could have moved them much closer to the top of the camera and then you wouldn’t feel it in your palm of your hand, everytime you grabed the camera. That is pretty much unforgivable, from an experienced camera maker. It’s more like something a teenager would make in wood shop, as far as design principals go.

Suck it Panasonic, get back to school!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 30, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Camera lugs aside, that thing looks pretty sexy.

Dear Sony: Please take notes on how you create a camera that doesn't look like a prop from some sci-fi movie.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

It does look like the X-E1, which is awesome because the X-E1 is sweet!

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I'd kill to have that articulating viewfinder on the XE-1.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

mesc posted:

I'd kill to have that articulating viewfinder on the XE-1.

That would actually be a really compelling way to differentiate the X-E1 and the X-pro1 rather than just a higher res EVF and lower price point.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I think I'd rather have an articulating screen than an articulating viewfinder.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

I think I'd rather have an articulating screen than an articulating viewfinder.

Well, you get both.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry yeah I meant if we were stealing features and sticking them on the X-E1 :)

The Panasonic looks quite nice but I'm in hot sweaty love with Fuji.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Sorry yeah I meant if we were stealing features and sticking them on the X-E1 :)

The Panasonic looks quite nice but I'm in hot sweaty love with Fuji.

I wish Fuji had IBIS, or at least IS on those nice prime lenses. If the next XE-1 has an articulating LCD I may just jump ship though. Although Sony Rumors has been hinting that the NEX full frame announcement will be in September... either way, reckon I'll know which way to go before too long :kiddo:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I wish Fuji had IBIS, or at least IS on those nice prime lenses. If the next XE-1 has an articulating LCD I may just jump ship though. Although Sony Rumors has been hinting that the NEX full frame announcement will be in September... either way, reckon I'll know which way to go before too long :kiddo:

When Sony release a ff nex, it will have exactly 1 Zeiss $1000 50mm/1.4 prime and two variable zooms the size of a fridge. You are lucky if you get another wide angle prime.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

When Sony release a ff nex, it will have exactly 1 Zeiss $1000 50mm/1.4 prime and two variable zooms the size of a fridge. You are lucky if you get another wide angle prime.

With their track history, I wouldn't be surprised if they ship an A-mount adapter with the FF Nex kit, to try to placate people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whatever7 posted:

The body will also look like a prop from JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

And have 5 axis image stabilization on the sensor thanks to olympus. All the best tech and no one will want to touch it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

Looks like it might be TWO Zeiss lenses!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah, my Sony ninja has sent me this press image. It's under NDA, please don't repost it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
On top of all these things, it might retain the existing NEX UI - OR - RUN ANDROID :smugdog:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

It's a 35mm f/2.8. (Which I'm sure will cost at least a grand.) SAR says it's to keep size down, but it's not like there haven't been fast, compact, full-frame 35mm primes before (see: Leica, Cosina-Voigtlander, etc).

There is no :what: big enough. On the other hand, IBIS + full frame + focus peaking + can mount RF lenses means it's a lot easier to put up with Sony's poo poo-tastic selection of native-mount lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's a 35mm f/2.8. (Which I'm sure will cost at least a grand.) SAR says it's to keep size down, but it's not like there haven't been fast, compact, full-frame 35mm primes before (see: Leica, Cosina-Voigtlander, etc).

There is no :what: big enough. On the other hand, IBIS + full frame + focus peaking + can mount RF lenses means it's a lot easier to put up with Sony's poo poo-tastic selection of native-mount lenses.

I don't trust that ghetto looking website. But if Sony offer 3 rangefinder-like system (including 2 FF solutions), and all three have a 35mm equivalent expensive Zeiss lens and nothing much in other focal length, it would be pretty funny.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

I don't trust that ghetto looking website. But if Sony offer 3 rangefinder-like system (including 2 FF solutions), and all three have a 35mm equivalent expensive Zeiss lens and nothing much in other focal length, it would be pretty funny.

What, are you saying you don't trust poor people? Or do you really just not know about the ***rumors set of websites that are generally quite good about this sort of thing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The GX7 is official.

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-gx7-announced/

And a surprise announcement.

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2

I think this lens was known to be coming, but I guess it was announced now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

And a surprise announcement.

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5mm/F1.2

I think this lens was known to be coming, but I guess it was announced now.

Yeah they revealed this on their roadmap earlier in the year. But now we finally know it's Leica branded and called a Nocticron (WTF).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Yeah they revealed this on their roadmap earlier in the year. But now we finally know it's Leica branded and called a Nocticron (WTF).

It's what the cool lenses do.

*mounts his SUPER WIDE-HELIAR and rides off on a fixie*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It wants to be a noctilux but alas.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

alkanphel posted:

Nocticron (WTF).

It's also featured in the next Transformers movie. Decepticrons vs Automats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alot of good ideas from the GX7.

Silence shutter, flip up screen, and can be controlled by smartphone. Very leathal street shooter combo.

Also adjustable evf eye detection sensitivity, these guys have used the competitions.

Quality looking grip too. I approved.

None of the preview has detail of the IBIS, I suspect its some cpu brute force poo poo. And Panasonic color palette... about on par with Ricoh.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 1, 2013