Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

XboxPants posted:

If the system in question is only a hundred bucks, then yeah, I might buy a system just for one great exclusive game. This situation has never happened before. Systems end up that cheap 6 or 7 years after launch, but at that point any great exclusive has probably either have either been ported or done better, either in a sequel or a spiritual successor.

How much, total, have you spent on the Ouya and its peripherals? Was it actually a hundred dollars?

Also nearly every system ever made has some unique game worth playing on it (and can be purchased second hand for under $100) so please stop posting about Towerfall unless you have lived up to your promises and bought every console in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

frozenpeas posted:

How much, total, have you spent on the Ouya and its peripherals? Was it actually a hundred dollars?

No, since he got the Poopbrown Limited Edition Ouya with a second controller for 170$.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

He bought four controllers. Let's not sell Pants' foolishness short.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Sagacity posted:

Edge seems to enjoy Amazing Frog enough to talk a bit about how it accurately reproduces a Swindon industrial area.

As a single player game Amazing Frog seems like a massive flop but judge reinhold's video does an alright job of showing off how it can be fun if you have a couple of friends and a sense of humor to throw at it. The running sound is brilliant, too.

I'm still in love with Brutal Carnage though. After a bunch of people commented on their KS about all the character designs being plagiarized images of copyrighted characters presented as "concept art" the project leader (he's not a developer, not a manager, not even an artist, apparently - ideas guy?) apparently melted down with a flurry of avoidance and excuses.

Their rock-solid defenses include:
  • The Characters for Brutal Carnage the Game were registered with the US COPYRIGHT OFFICE 3 YEARS AGO
  • STREET FIGHTER STOLE ALL THEIR CHARACTERS I SAW IT ON A GEOCITIES SITE ONCE
  • Your negativity isn't what the OUYA is about. The OUYA is a console for the people.

Their latest Tweet is excellent:

quote:

@netsabes Concerned about the lack of games on the OUYA ? Check out Brutal Carnage the Game (insert link to KS)

It's not even a KS for the game. It's a Kickstarter for concept art by one of those people that think all you have to do is crib draw some pictures of characters and people will automatically put them in a game. You kinda have to see it for yourself, the "WE'RE NOW TAKING ON COLLEGE INTERNS" part is especially amazing.

Unfortunately at $24.06 / $3500 for a few poo poo plagiarized pictures, the next 4 days will need a miracle investment to save the project (and the jobs of these college students)!

4 MONTHS OF """CONCEPT ARTS""" posted:

We now estimate that development of Brutal Carnage the Game will began within 4 months from the end date of this kickstarter project and will continue till completed.

we stole our designs but WE WON'T HIT THE WALL posted:

Only challenges we could possibly face, would be hitting a creative brick wall. And this definitely will not happen! We are 100% dedicated to the development of Brutal Carnage.

mickey mouse department of making sure we don't make too much money posted:

Brutal Carnage the Game will ONLY be available to the people who back this project.

school of hard knocks posted:

We have attended college and are very familiar with organizing a project on this level.

Brulie Uhrnage posted:

Since this is a project that is not based on profits we intend to reach out to
REACH OUT

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's basically if I made a kickstarter in 2nd grade and no guys that totally isn't scorpion from MK in different colors!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
"We have attended college" might be my favorite argument for investment ever.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Enallyniv posted:

I'm still in love with Brutal Carnage though. After a bunch of people commented on their KS about all the character designs being plagiarized images of copyrighted characters presented as "concept art" the project leader (he's not a developer, not a manager, not even an artist, apparently - ideas guy?) apparently melted down with a flurry of avoidance and excuses.

Their rock-solid defenses include:
  • The Characters for Brutal Carnage the Game were registered with the US COPYRIGHT OFFICE 3 YEARS AGO
  • STREET FIGHTER STOLE ALL THEIR CHARACTERS I SAW IT ON A GEOCITIES SITE ONCE
  • Your negativity isn't what the OUYA is about. The OUYA is a console for the people.

I called them out a few times on the ripped off designs and copyright numbers, and got this in my private messages:

Professional!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I can completely believe they are familiar with organising a project on this level. The level needed to make even a lovely phone game though, that's a different story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dregan posted:

I called them out a few times on the ripped off designs and copyright numbers, and got this in my private messages:

Professional!
"Your(sic) of no purpose to us. You've been warned."

Is this guy an anime villain? The hell?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Am I remembering wrong or wasn't the Gamecube $99 for a large portion of its run? Or did it just feel like it was $99 because of how much cheaper it was than the XBox and PS2?

I think it got down there eventually but it was like 200 at launch.

Gameboy was 90 bucks at launch and came with its killer app, though. :colbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Dave posted:

It's basically if I made a kickstarter in 2nd grade and no guys that totally isn't scorpion from MK in different colors!

To be fair that's what the real devs did.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just love how much text there is that says absolutely nothing. It's like a beautifully exaggerated Uhrman, talking about the gameplay as if it exists and shilling the product like it's already a finished piece of software.

e: Yeah, I think they blocked me from their Twitter although I'm not sure if that's just me being a dumb dumb at Twitter

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 1, 2013

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

dregan posted:

Professional!

Lucky you, they just blocked me after I called them out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Enallyniv posted:

I just love how much text there is that says absolutely nothing. It's like a beautifully exaggerated Uhrman, talking about the gameplay as if it exists and shilling the product like it's already a finished piece of software.

e: Yeah, I think they blocked me from their Twitter although I'm not sure if that's just me being a dumb dumb at Twitter

Is there some way to add Amazing Frog DLC that replaces the frog model, with a grinning Uhrman?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nauta posted:

I played Towerfall-esque games for FREE, on a PC, about 13-14 years ago. They were fun for a while but even back then I would have never concidered paying actual money for those kinda games. You have to be pretty loving delusional to even think about spending more than 2 bux on a game like Towerfall.

Well, when you're a guppy swimming in a toilet bowl full of turds, I suppose you have more appeal to people who desperately want to believe that your toilet bowl is the best aquarium in the world.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Much to my shame, I did buy a Japanese 360 just to play Super Robot Wars XO. If you've heard of it you probably know what a horrible mistake that was.

I also bought an OUYA. I don't know which was the worse purchase. The 360 cost more...but as bad as it was I played SRW XO more than 20 minutes.

Hmm, looking at my purchasing history, maybe I should not be allowed to make my own videogame purchases anymore. I even owned an N-Gage.

frozenpeas posted:

Uncharted 2 is a really good game on the PS3 so you should run out and buy a PS3.

FORZA is really good so you should buy an Xbox 360.

The Witcher 2 is really good so you should run out and buy a ninja PC to play it.

Wipeout 2 is really good so you should go and buy a used PS1.

Wizball was really good so you should run out and buy an old Atari ST.

Exile was really good so you should go back in time and buy a BBC Micro.

Xboxpants, do you run out and buy every single system that has a good game? What is it about the Ouya's good game that makes it such a system seller?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dregan posted:

Professional!

L-Lazerbot??

Dec 26, 2012

dregan posted:

Professional!

Ok there's no way this isn't being run by a couple of twelve year olds.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I love the N-Gage comparison. The N-Gage was a phone that tried to play games in an age where nobody cared about a phone that plays games but the OUYA is a phone that doesn't make calls in an age where everyone wants a phone to play games.

I nearly made this post last night but couldn't wrap my head around how to phrase it and I'm not sure I did a much better job here either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

I love the N-Gage comparison. The N-Gage was a phone that tried to play games in an age where nobody cared about a phone that plays games but the OUYA is a phone that doesn't make calls in an age where everyone wants a phone to play games.

I nearly made this post last night but couldn't wrap my head around how to phrase it and I'm not sure I did a much better job here either.

The NGage was also designed by morons so incompetent on such a basic level that the OUYA looks stradivarius in comparison.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

The NGage was also designed by morons so incompetent on such a basic level that the OUYA looks stradivarius in comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTYKht735R0

edit: i have no idea what I'm doing.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Giant Bomb guys simply can't stop mocking the Ouya :allears:

"I said game platforms, not video streamers."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Barudak posted:

Do we have Ouya sidetalking pics yet?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

If the system in question is only a hundred bucks, then yeah, I might buy a system just for one great exclusive game. This situation has never happened before. Systems end up that cheap 6 or 7 years after launch, but at that point any great exclusive has probably either have either been ported or done better, either in a sequel or a spiritual successor.

Dude, buying everything to play Towerfall isn't $100. In rare cases, it might only be $115, but I'd bet money that people would have to buy an OUYA, Towerfall, and two PS3 controllers to play it with four people, bringing it to a whopping $215. For Towerfall. On a platform that has almost nothing else to offer someone.

gently caress, if someone is super determined to play a couch co-op game, go buy a Wii for $120 with NSMB, $75 on three more Wiimotes, then put Jump 'n Bump on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1Ykci9-6A

At least there'll be other games to play when you get sick of it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Handhelds seem to have an odd thing when it comes to marketing. There's this odd urge to try and position them as "hip". I get the feeling something happened in market research that made people associate handhelds with "gameboys and other toys I grew up with" and subsequently caused this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVE69E6hfos

Then again Sony's infamous with producing some of the weirdest ads ever. So it's sort of in line but trying too hard.

N-Gage also backfired due to it's horrible advertising. Much like the PSP they angled for the concept of "extreeeeme gamer" and resulted in commercials that were pulled in the UK for being too distressing.

There was another of a tent in a forest "This is where I hunt them down".

"This is where I got further with Laura than anyone else"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJvO8Lt1ig

Yeah, nothing better than implying your target audience are psychopaths.

OUYA also tries to be hip, but in a sort of open source subversive movement way that only really resonates with people who program. And when it worked well the results are painful. Dreamzle is making the Bulletball guy look like an inspiration.

It's market presence is heavily reliant on the web and with little in the real world generating buzz it's little wonder why the shine is coming off very quickly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ouya is trying to be hip in that 90's dudez with tudez way.
The problem is that in 2013 we look back at the 90's at the hilariously embarrassing time it really was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Am I remembering wrong or wasn't the Gamecube $99 for a large portion of its run? Or did it just feel like it was $99 because of how much cheaper it was than the XBox and PS2?

It got price cut to $99 around like late 2003/early 2004 or so to try to drum up sales. Didn't work out too well, they still stayed a good dela behind the original Xbox and of course way behind the PS2.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
http://www.radiangames.com/ouya-sales-numbers-first-2-weeks/

:toot:

Games Developer posted:

The totals for ~2 weeks of data:

Inferno+
Downloads: 1,592
Sales: 157
Conversion: 9.86%
Thumbs Up: 128

Ballistic SE
Downloads: 1,721
Sales: 104
Conversion: 6.04%
Thumbs Up: 114

Given the games are $2.99, those conversion rates are actually pretty decent.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Hey, they got more than half a thousand dollars for both of those games. That's a bucket-load of... well I suppose gravel maybe? Maybe they could rent a cement truck for a couple hours?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 1, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I can't tell if the desperation for ouya players and developers alike to find anything to convince themselves that the Ouya is not a total failure is funny or just sad now.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I can't tell if the desperation for ouya players and developers alike to find anything to convince themselves that the Ouya is not a total failure is funny or just sad now.

Looking at the rest of that guy's blog, his strategy is apparently to poo poo out lots of tiny games and release them on as many platforms as possible (including mobile platforms). He's viewing the OUYA from pretty much a moneymaking perspective, using a minimum of time and effort to port games to it. It's a little bit shady, but if it lets him make back the money he spent buying an OUYA, more power to him.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So I have an Ouya, and you may not remember my backstory from a few hundred posts ago but my friend sold me on the hype and then we both realized it was dumb but I lost track of time and ended up buying my high tech paper weight. Anyone know what kind of screwdriver head is used to open the thing?

I'm going to make use of it, mess around with it.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Looking at the rest of that guy's blog, his strategy is apparently to poo poo out lots of tiny games and release them on as many platforms as possible (including mobile platforms). He's viewing the OUYA from pretty much a moneymaking perspective, using a minimum of time and effort to port games to it. It's a little bit shady, but if it lets him make back the money he spent buying an OUYA, more power to him.

Radian Games are pretty fun; I have a handful of them on XBLIG. He does a good job giving a game an old-school, arcade feeling without falling into the trap of being hyper-literal and bogging it down by emulating the negatives of old technology for "authenticity."

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Rapdawg posted:

So I have an Ouya, and you may not remember my backstory from a few hundred posts ago but my friend sold me on the hype and then we both realized it was dumb but I lost track of time and ended up buying my high tech paper weight. Anyone know what kind of screwdriver head is used to open the thing?

I'm going to make use of it, mess around with it.

I thought I heard it was a hex key, but I'm not sure exactly what size.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I thought I heard it was a hex key, but I'm not sure exactly what size.

I'm still stunned they billed the thing as hacker friendly and put security screws on it. :confused:

I mean I have bits for em but its just so backwards...

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I actually know the radianGames dev, he's very much interested in simple concepts done in a unique way. He does tend to spread his games across every platform imaginable, but I guess that's what an indie dev needs to do to make ends meet.

If you have a platform (other than the OUYA, of course) to try his titles, some of them are really enjoyable.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm still stunned they billed the thing as hacker friendly and put security screws on it. :confused:

I mean I have bits for em but its just so backwards...

I don't know what screws are on the OUYA, but Allen screws aren't a security screw. You can buy a full English or full metric set for $5 literally anyplace that sells screwdrivers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I Greyhound posted:

I don't know what screws are on the OUYA, but Allen screws aren't a security screw. You can buy a full English or full metric set for $5 literally anyplace that sells screwdrivers.

Pretty sure they're [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx]Torx[/ukr] screws.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Rudager posted:

Pretty sure they're [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx]Torx[/ukr] screws.

They are a standard hex screw. They come with any $20 Walmart tool set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
If the overly loud Audio of Brutal Carnage's video doesn't scare you away, the horrifying art of those kid's faces will. Jesus. Then a bunch of stolen art on top of it all. Well I really don't expect anything less from the OUYA as it has no quality control in any aspect, shape, or form.

• Locked thread