Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
This has been helpful in a tough pennant race:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

have fun getting swept in the first round of the toc

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Hey we need a replacement owner for 1950 progressive. If you've ever thought to yourself, "Hey I'd sure like to play with some horrible 1950s players!" then come on over and post in this thread.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Just blew a 3-1 world series lead where I had distinct pitching advantages in games 5 and 6 :suicide:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I present to you the best/worst theme ever:

"Choose only players who played between 1980-1989. $180M to spend. Draft your own WAA AAA Players ('80-'89). DH on both Leagues. No Clones or WW and no trades. Choose one of the 30 actual ballparks in use today. Multiple teams with same ballpark allowed."

180M cap. 80s only. Modern parks.

(9 righty position players, 9 lefty.)

That's my team, with 10 more starters waiting down in AAA to be rotated in/out of the rotation. This team will be in Coors.

:munch:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

There are at least four teams in my WISC $90 mil league using 1902-1926 Cleveland. They're all bastards. And it could be more since some teams haven't renamed yet.

I'm probably going to effortpost my WISC teams here in a couple days so if you're playing WISC you should start working on an effortpost too.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Devo posted:

There are at least four teams in my WISC $90 mil league using 1902-1926 Cleveland. They're all bastards. And it could be more since some teams haven't renamed yet.

I'm probably going to effortpost my WISC teams here in a couple days so if you're playing WISC you should start working on an effortpost too.

I'd be very interested in reading about people's WISC teams, personally.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I feel like always pick 08 Joss was my strongest attempt at a strategy last year so I cant really blame anyone for that type of 90m team.

I'm on holiday so I wont be able to effortpost till I get back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just joined a theme league with an 130M cap with the caveat that you get no waiver wire, no trades, and no AAA.

http://imgur.com/aYQOARP

There's my team. I can give the league # if anybody is interested.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 1, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Is there a theme to it or is it just functionally a 130M open league?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's no time based theme like only 1900-1950 or anything, just the rule about no roster changes.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I'm not much of a fan of high cap leagues like that, but I'm more than willing to give some roster advice if needed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd love some. Knowing who's a good value based on what they cost would be appreciated. You may recall I posted my 80M team in this thread previously, and after a hot start we ain't doing so hot. Started 13-5, currently 24-29.

Edit: I'd also be open to starting a lower cap league for goons, I was bummed out when I saw I was too late for the one that's going currently. That 130M league has not started yet and I can still pull out.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Well, the biggest thing that stands out offensively are your 50s hitters. Those guys don't normalize well whatsoever. You can get a Wade Boggs season for around the same price as Yost. Mantle will probably have a decent line, but probably not well enough to justify the price. If you just want to go all out on a single player with a bonkers season, you're better off with the Babe/Cobb/Ed Delahanty. The 30s are another decade that doesn't normalize well for hitters, so you can certainly improve on Cochrane.

On pitching, Koufax and McNally can be solid players in the right league, but at this cap I would probably go all deadballers in the rotation. Like upgrade your Three Finger and go with Addie Joss and Pete Alexander or something like that. The bullpen seems pretty good for the most part, but I would change the roles around a little. Mariano has kind of total innings you would like in a longman, but his IP/G is lacking. Eldred or Reardon would be fine in that role. I would probably sub Hernandez for a guy with less but higher quality innings, and spread the savings on upgrading on Koji and Downs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do Tris Speaker or Stan Musial normalize well?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've had pretty good luck with Tris Speaker, but I've only used his extreme doubles seasons on extreme doubles-themed teams.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Tris Speaker will own a ton for you, but sadly Musial is generally in the Mantle class.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
While I'm picking your guys' brains, what approach do you recommend for 80M leagues on offence? Building a decent pitching staff for less money seems possible but certain attempts to get decent players for little money seems to have floundered in my other league (i.e. Nick Johnson for 3.95).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Musial is one of the few 40s/50s hitters that do normalize well, so long as you're choosing the right season.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

While I'm picking your guys' brains, what approach do you recommend for 80M leagues on offence? Building a decent pitching staff for less money seems possible but certain attempts to get decent players for little money seems to have floundered in my other league (i.e. Nick Johnson for 3.95).

There are a ton of ways to go on this, but a pretty easy way for a new guy are players who hit lots of doubles, but not many homers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That sucks because I fiddled with my 80M team a LOT before settling on what I had, and one of my lineups had 4 guys with 40+ doubles but I felt it was too gimmicky and would not work.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

I just joined a theme league with an 130M cap with the caveat that you get no waiver wire, no trades, and no AAA.

http://imgur.com/aYQOARP

There's my team. I can give the league # if anybody is interested.

What's the league #?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New team after suggestions http://imgur.com/G00Ztsz

League # is 106306.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 1, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

New team after suggestions http://imgur.com/G00Ztsz

League # is 106306.

This is what I've put together (and am entering) for that league:

As for your team, personally I'd be wary of paying that much for Todd Helton, because a lot of that value is tied up in his home runs, and in a league like this, everyone is going to have a ton of deadballers, so home run production will be absolutely neutered. I just got to the playoffs in another 130M league, and the average team hit 89 home runs over 162 games.

(I would have just replicated my current 130M playoffs team, but it wouldn't be viable - it's a triples team, and the 30 modern parks doesn't allow for Mile High to be used.)

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 1, 2013

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I just remembered the Two Man Band: Coors Explosion experiment never picked up enough ground to get started... that's a shame, it would've been a lot of fun to see how it in action. I think the WiS forums thread got to 12 people? Can we try to get it going again?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

I just remembered the Two Man Band: Coors Explosion experiment never picked up enough ground to get started... that's a shame, it would've been a lot of fun to see how it in action. I think the WiS forums thread got to 12 people? Can we try to get it going again?

Nobody really liked my rules, so i'd have to change them.

I was thinking we'd use just one pitcher, maybe someone like 3 finger, and then have a league of Barry and a league of Babe. Also I think i'll buy a team for whoever hits the most team dingers.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 2, 2013

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

Nobody really liked my rules, so i'd have to change them.

I was thinking we'd use just one pitcher, maybe someone like 3 finger, and then have a league of Barry and a league of Babe. Also I think i'll buy a team for whoever hits the most team dingers.

Not really much draft strategy in that, is there? Seems like a lot of money to give to WiS to run 20-odd random number generators.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

gardenald posted:

Not really much draft strategy in that, is there? Seems like a lot of money to give to WiS to run 20-odd random number generators.

You've cracked the code in me (and several others apparently) having no interest

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gardenald posted:

Did 2 man band really ever have that much of a draft strategy? I just wanted to do this league to see who would be better in Coors if there were very few other variables in play. I think it only works if there's as little choice as possible.

Edit: To Groucho and everyone not interested, what would I have to change for you all to be interested in it?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Well, I was never too into the idea of 2 man band in the first place, but there was certainly a decent amount of strategy in the draft. You could go after Raines/Sliding Billy and steal like crazy off the bad OOP catchers. Or just draft a Ruth/Bonds/Ted and just try to outslug someone. Or even get Foxx/Biggio and try to build the only good defensive team in the league.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Someone should do a WISC strategy post before me, so I don't have to explain the themes

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

Someone should do a WISC strategy post before me, so I don't have to explain the themes

I've been out of the house for like two days straight. I'll do mine late tonight or tomorrow morning.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The WISC starts in about an hour, and I promised an effortpost so here goes. For those of you not already familiar with the WISC, it is a yearly tournament that pits the best 96 SLB players (or at least the ones that want to pony up $75) against each other in six different leagues at six different cap levels. The top 24 players from the first round go on to play each other in another six leagues with at least one draft league included. The 2013 first round leagues are as follows...

$70 Million
Same Team, Different Seasons

Build a team at the $70 million cap. That's it. The catch? If you make round two you must use different years of the same 25 players to build a team at $120 million.

$80 Million
Same AVG/ERA

Every hitter on your team must have the same batting average. Every pitcher on your team must have the same ERA. There is an exception for players under $300k.

$90 Million
Silver Anniversary Franchise

Another somewhat simple concept. You must build a team using 25 consecutive years of the same franchise with 25 different players.

$100 Million
Dual Team .500 Twist

Select two teams whose combined wins and combined losses are within 2 of each other. Then twist the players on those two teams to any season of their careers. There is an under $300k exception for players in the same years as your two franchise selections.

$110 Million
Everybody Plays

Another simple "build any team you want" theme. Every player on your team must have a salary of $2MM or more. In addition to that, all position players on your team can only have a PA/162 of 599 or less.

$120 Million
Sudoku

Use the digits 0-9 once each to make a team using players from five different seasons. For example you could use 1912, 1934, 1956, 1978, and 1990 as your seasons. Draft exactly five players from each of the seasons you choose and spend between $15MM and $30MM on the players from each season.

Now that you've got the themes, I'll follow this up in a bit with my teams.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'll preface this by saying that I pulled some of these from draft center after the fact and so players with secondary positions may be listed in funny places. Also my teams will probably suck compared to AV and jeff's.

$70 Mil
Drunk on the Allegheny
Three Rivers Stadium

This is a somewhat simple doubles team that is built more for round 2 than round 1. We'll see if that bites me in the rear end later. My thought on that was that if I do make it to round 2, I don't want a giant failure of a team sitting around and losing me points. Some people on this theme looked for bench players at $70M that can start at $120M and vice versa. I kept it pretty simple; pretty much every player at $70M is going to fill the same role with a more expensive season at $120M. I chose Three Rivers for a few reasons: I wanted a plus doubles park, but I couldn't go apeshit with a place like Fenway because it will kill my $70M pitching. The -1 to singles won't sap my offense too badly because I have a lot of walks and again it will help my $70M pitching. And finally it's a pretty neutral park so it's not killing my $120M team in one direction or the other if I make it that far.

Here's the $120M team for comparison (120M team has the players more in the positions that they'll actually fill):

$80 Mil
.291 Reasons to Avoid the 2.06
Sicks' Stadium

This is the team I had the most trouble building. I looked over a whole lot of ERAs and AVGs before finding some that are acceptable to me at this cap. I found that I could get a pretty good mix of offense at .291 without sacrificing on defense too much (but this is by no means a great defensive team). Ferris Fain will get on base a ton at the top of my lineup, while Daniels, Bell, and Brenly can sock some dingers. I decided pretty early on that this would go in a +HR park. On the pitching side 2.06 is actually a really flexible ERA, and ended up being one of the most used in the WISC. I went for the more HR suppressing side of that ERA at the cost of some pitchers that are probably better than what I ended up with. Why Sick's Stadium? Well it's +HR like I said, and also I found out that one of the area codes in Seattle is 206 so I can make a pun.

$90 Mil
'03-'27 Cubs
West Side Grounds

There are obviously a ton of deadball teams in this theme, and I'm no exception. I think this was a good team idea in concept but I wish I had spent more time on it. I sacrificed elite seasons like '08 Three Finger Brown to go with cheaper seasons and stay under the cap. I went with relatively neutral West Side Grounds instead of Wrigley because I just don't have much dinger power. My guys should get on base at a pretty decent clip but I don't play with deadball hitters enough to know how well they will normalize.

$100 Mil
'09 Naps and '89 Mets
Shea Stadium

I wanted Addie and I knew the late 80's and early 90's Mets had a lot of players I could use at this cap like HoJo/Carter/Hernandez/Doc. But I didn't do enough research and I hosed it up. The 1910 Naps have access to pretty much all the usable players that 1909 does plus one Shoeless Joe Jackson. I could have really used a Shoeless Joe on this team. The pitching is fine but I don't like this offense at all and I could totally see this team being the one that torpedoes my shot at the second round.

$110 Mil
Great American Quadrangular
Great American Ballpark

Q: Who is the best under 600 PA player in the sim?
Q: Who is the greatest American ever to live?
A: 1979 Dave Kingman

This was the first team I built and I had a blast building it. The theme here is obviously dingers and the pitching staff is cookie as hell since there were no restrictions on pitchers other than costing more than $2MM. The King of Men? Check. The Bambino? Check. Big Mac? Check. Hammerin' Hank? Check. Expect souvenirs. This league has a DH BTW I forgot to mention that in the write-up up top.

$120 Mil
One Hundred Eighty Feet
Fenway Park

If you can't tell from the team name and the park choice, this is a doubles team. 1908 and 1915 were the first years I wanted. Addie/Three Finger/Pete Alexander/all kinds of 1915 cookie relievers pretty much sets my pitching staff. 1993 came next mainly because of that disgusting Olerud year that hits a ton of doubles and gets on base all the time. '93 also gets you access to The Chris Hoiles and a pretty darn good Skinny Barry year. That left the digits 2/4/6/7 for me to make two more years from. I played around with a lot of different combinations but the 40s and 60s are just kind of lovely in the sim. I ended up taking 1942 because of the monster Ted Williams year that takes up most of my $15 mil minimum. That left 1967 and 1976 as my other choices and I decided I needed a good 2B more than I needed Yaz. Also AV and I had just talked about how Toby Harrah was somewhat underused in Rule V so I wanted to give him a spin too.

So that's it! My WISC teams unfolded. I expect my $80 mil or $100 mil team to take me out of contention early, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Just got into the final eight of the Tournament of Champions with my Goon Team, Myth of the Eephus.

I suspect that I'm about to hit the "And now you lose Mr. Bond", part of the playoffs, but I'm pretty excited. I think if I get into the final four, I get more site tokens. Maybe I can get a baseball nerd hoodie.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I guess I'll do this WISC post

70 mil
Wade Boggs Roasters
Polo Grounds V

I went the opposite route of Devo and focused more on the 70m team than the 120m one. I'd be ecstatic if I made it to the 2nd rounds, so who cares if I bomb in it. Nothing special here, high doubles that doesn't hit a ton of homers, but hits enough in Round 2 that I didn't want to go full on Municipal. Bip will go to the bench in Round 2, while Grich will move to 2B and Hojo starts at SS. On the pitching side, Palmer was a bit of a cheap out to get Matty in there.

80 mil
.321 AVG and 2.24 ERA
Kaufmann Stadium

I don't do spreadsheets, so this was just a product of dicking around and finding some numbers that work. Since it's 80m, I leaned heavily on PH to evaluate players. It's also a high doubles, low homer team, and a chance to finally use a John McGraw.

90 mil
Oakland 69-93
Oakland Colosseum

Obviously the first thing I did was look at deadball squads, but I wasn't in love with any of them. Modern teams seemed to work with the them a little better, so I looked into teams that performed well in Rule V. Oakland is the powerhouse that I liked most. I like the rotation a lot, I love using Rollie and Eck, and I really like Rickey, Bando, Reggie, and Tenace in the lineup.

100 mil
Cleveland 1910/Boston 1969
Fenway Park

Devo outlined why the 1910 Naps own already. I paired them with the 69 Red Sox mostly for Yaz and Rico. Gaining access to Fenway was nice, too. Also, bonus Zoilo.

110 mil
Double Dobble
Municipal Stadium

The first player that crossed my mind when building this team was Deion Sanders in Mile High. That didn't work out as much as I'd hoped, so I went to the next few players I though of: Gavvy Cravath, Joey Votto, and Mike Kingery. This is yet another high doubles, low homers offense and I put in Municipal to help me with innings a bit.

120 mil
SudGOKU
Fenway Park

This team is a mess. 08, 15, and 93 all seemed like pretty obvious choices, so I built a team I liked quite a bit using those years. I completely forgot about the 30 million dollar cap on each year, so I had to restart. This was the last team I had to doing, so I was pretty burned out on building teams by this point. I finally half rear end something on the last day, but that has a roster error too. So by this point I just did a super quick fix without really caring about quality. I have like 3 million in cap room on this roster.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of WISC, my teams suck (through 2 days)

In 36 games I'm 13-23 overall. How did I get there? Well I'm 2-11 in one-run games already. My only team with a winning record is 120M, where I'm 5-1 (with a, you guessed it, one-run loss).

So yeah, WISC :suicide:

e: 2-4 with 2 more one-run losses in the AM. I'm pretty much hosed already and there's 2+ more months of this

Devo fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 7, 2013

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Devo posted:

I'm pretty much hosed already

Not even close.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Devo posted:

Speaking of WISC, my teams suck (through 2 days)

In 36 games I'm 13-23 overall.
Three of my teams are a combined 15-6, which is nice. Unfortunately the other three teams are 2-19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
My only good SP prospect in Mordecai just exploded :cry:

Stupid HBD :fuckoff:

• Locked thread