Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennypunch
Jun 19, 2013

I've drawn you a bath.

achillesforever6 posted:

I really enjoy the final fight and how Terry beats Joker by basically playing at his own game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI

Yeah, this bit is fantastic. Easily the second best scene of the whole film. The movie does a great job of using a classic Batman villain and still making Terry more than a side character. I'd say Bruce and Terry share the main lead spot very nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pennypunch posted:

Yeah, this bit is fantastic. Easily the second best scene of the whole film. The movie does a great job of using a classic Batman villain and still making Terry more than a side character. I'd say Bruce and Terry share the main lead spot very nicely.

The show's dynamic really was dynamite. Way grumpier Batman playing Oracle to a kid who's basically Peter Parker if he had more of a deliquent streak? Pretty much perfect.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

The show's dynamic really was dynamite. Way grumpier Batman playing Oracle to a kid who's basically Peter Parker if he had more of a deliquent streak? Pretty much perfect.

The problem was Timm/Dini's version of what a "kid" was, was always extremely dated. I mean drat Terry was pretty much a superhero greaser.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bugged me about Injusice's story was that they had this whole brand new alternate universe and decided to keep the stakes super low. I think in the entire game only one character dies on screen and another is announced as having died in the past.
It was an utterly predictable story.

I also hated the ending they gave Superman for Battle Mode. Superman agrees to have a killswitch implanted in him should he ever decide to turn evil like his parallel universe counterpart. Stupid on so many levels.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

It was an utterly predictable story.

I also hated the ending they gave Superman for Battle Mode. Superman agrees to have a killswitch implanted in him should he ever decide to turn evil like his parallel universe counterpart. Stupid on so many levels.

But within that stupidity, it was great that he gave every Justice League member rotating duty on the trigger except Batman, after seeing what parallel Batman had been capable of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nilbop posted:

The problem was Timm/Dini's version of what a "kid" was, was always extremely dated. I mean drat Terry was pretty much a superhero greaser.

I think Dini wrote maybe one episode (and it was awesome) and I'm not sure if Timm was involved in Beyond at all. I think Terry being a future greaser was a very deliberate stylistic choice with regards to the setting.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pennypunch posted:

To me, the Injustice storyline showcases everything I loathe about the superhero genre. Awfully handled angst, clunky story that only serves to cram in as many characters as possible, plotholes up the wazoo and OOC idiocy just to crank up the drama. I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't ignore all of the glaring issues. It also doesn't help that I didn't care for some of the VAs involved. At least Kevin Conroy did his job well as usual, but the script bogged him down for sure.
I'm curious, whom didn't you like? I thought the voices were a huge selling point, and bringing back most of the original JL cast was a brilliant decision on their part. Hell, recently they released downloadable content featuring Carl Lumbly as Martian Manhunter and Phil Lamarr as an alternate John Stewart skin for the Green Lantern character.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh my god I just realized that DCAU Bruce probably named his dog Ace after Ace from the Royal Flush Gang :smith:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So. Teen Titans Go..

Raven makes the best faces, when she has evil coming out of her mouth. I didn't know she was part Canadian.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argue posted:

Oh my god I just realized that DCAU Bruce probably named his dog Ace after Ace from the Royal Flush Gang :smith:

Eh, you could probably retcon it to mean that but Batman Beyond came out well before Justice League aired.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Pennypunch posted:

I haven't watched this, but how is Joker like even more energetic than his young self?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I think Dini wrote maybe one episode (and it was awesome) and I'm not sure if Timm was involved in Beyond at all. I think Terry being a future greaser was a very deliberate stylistic choice with regards to the setting.

Exactly, TAS looked like it was the 20's meeting the 80s, Beyond was the 50's meeting Blade Runner.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

TLG James posted:

I haven't watched this, but how is Joker like even more energetic than his young self?

It's the far future and he's an imposter. He's actually Tim Drake, the second Robin, who was captured and tortured by the original Joker. The thing Terry electrocutes at the end of the clip is a microchip he implanted that carried a copy of the Joker's personality.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember reading this years ago but ace was an homage to the bat dog or something the comics did in the 50s.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it was totally a reference to Ace the bat hound but when they decided to do the Epilogue episode that was full of Beyond stuff and connected the whole DCAU they probably didn't accidentally choose to show a little girl called Ace dying and greatly affecting Batman. It was nice, I think that's my favourite part of the DCAU and what Waller says about Batman in that episode is also my favourite interpretation of him.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Now I love the justice league and justice league unlimited but goddamn I cannot get over how the Martian manhunter literally gets his rear end beat whenever on screen.

Reading a mind? Jokes on you the person you're trying to find is a wizard or involved with one and now you're on the ground screaming!

Going invisible? Too bad, the enemy has a device that electrocutes/harms you as soon as you're noticed!

Going in for hand to hand? Nope. Get punched once and fly into the ground.

Now I Know ever hero gets their rear end beat but it felt like j'onn ALWAYS got his rear end beat. Bad.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
J'onn was the team punching bag for all of season one but got a sufficient power boost for season 2 where he actually did things that weren't going "AAAAA" and recoiling in pain.

Then in JLU he took a cushy desk job because he was tired of getting the green poo poo kicked out of him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it was totally a reference to Ace the bat hound but when they decided to do the Epilogue episode that was full of Beyond stuff and connected the whole DCAU they probably didn't accidentally choose to show a little girl called Ace dying and greatly affecting Batman. It was nice, I think that's my favourite part of the DCAU and what Waller says about Batman in that episode is also my favourite interpretation of him.

I don't know, that seems like it probably was a coincidence. There's only so many playing card related names you can give characters.

Also I still think making Terry be Bruce's biological son was stupid and unnecessary.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I love his "aaaaa". My favorite is in the justice league movie Doom. He gets set on fire and screams for a solid 3 entire minutes of screen time. :allears:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Inudeku posted:

I love his "aaaaa". My favorite is in the justice league movie Doom. He gets set on fire and screams for a solid 3 entire minutes of screen time. :allears:

I reckon they had everyone take a turn in the booth giving their best "I am in pain" scream and after Lumby did his, the writers just looked at each other and said "Well, guess we know who's gonna be doing this every episode".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inudeku posted:

Now I love the justice league and justice league unlimited but goddamn I cannot get over how the Martian manhunter literally gets his rear end beat whenever on screen.

Reading a mind? Jokes on you the person you're trying to find is a wizard or involved with one and now you're on the ground screaming!

Going invisible? Too bad, the enemy has a device that electrocutes/harms you as soon as you're noticed!

Going in for hand to hand? Nope. Get punched once and fly into the ground.

Now I Know ever hero gets their rear end beat but it felt like j'onn ALWAYS got his rear end beat. Bad.

It was funny how in Young Justice they went in the opposite direction and M'gann just wrecked everyone's poo poo all day every day.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I've never seen young justice but that is hilarious. I seriously wonder if it's all intentional

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always thought it was interesting how they calibrated the Justice League cast to make them all on the same level. Batman had no powers, so he had to overcompensate for everything to make him look like he belonged. Classic Batman. Hawkgirl's powers was having wings, so they made it up to her by giving her a completely overpowered weapon that works on every problem that isn't Doomsday. Flash's speed was nerfed down to the effect that he was having trouble keeping up with a van full of stolen goods. Martian Manhunter was hilariously incompetent, always trying to use his mind-reading or phasing powers, only to go into a screaming fit. Superman was the resident punching bag, getting his rear end handed to him on a regular basis. Wonder Woman's powers were nullified by simply not having her on the show much of the time.

That left Green Lantern as the one middle-ground guy. Hell, they practically swept the yellow weakness under the rug to keep it fair too.

Also, what's this about some of you guys badmouthing the Injustice comic? Get out of here with that poo poo.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah in all the DC Animations everyone was practically incompetent except for Batman.

No idea why they made it that way.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Was the yellow weakness still around when JL aired?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It wasn't in the comics, but there was at least one instance where it was on the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

It wasn't in the comics, but there was at least one instance where it was on the show.

John went toe-to-tow with Sinestro more than once and had no trouble blocking his constructs most of the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

John went toe-to-tow with Sinestro more than once and had no trouble blocking his constructs most of the time.

Yeah, but this happened that one time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well obviously DCAU the GL ring is vulnerable to tasty desserts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, that seems like it probably was a coincidence. There's only so many playing card related names you can give characters.

Also I still think making Terry be Bruce's biological son was stupid and unnecessary.

The thing is there were hints of it already in the series. It seemed that was always the plan, but they never got a chance to do it in the show.

All superheroes have a weakness to Hostess Fruit Pies

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 1, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ignore this

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is there were hints of it already in the series. It seemed that was always the plan, but they never got a chance to do it in the show.

Also, it fits in with the theme that Batman/Bruce Wayne chose to live alone, but Terry isn't doomed to make the same mistakes Bruce did. Every person is in charge of their own destiny.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

All superheroes have a weakness to Hostess Fruit Pies

drat right

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My favorite part of that remains the angry cop in the background.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Michael Ansara (Kang from Star Trek and relevant to this thread B:TAS Mr Freeze) has died. I don't know about anyone else but he was pretty much the definitive Mr Freeze voice for me. His voice lent the character a gravitas that made any "cold" reference serious instead of the cheeky goofiness of other portrayals.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

Michael Ansara (Kang from Star Trek and relevant to this thread B:TAS Mr Freeze) has died. I don't know about anyone else but he was pretty much the definitive Mr Freeze voice for me. His voice lent the character a gravitas that made any "cold" reference serious instead of the cheeky goofiness of other portrayals.

Yep, SubZero was everything Batman and Robin should have been.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Awww, man. :( I loved that dude's Mr. Freeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EtHfr0eBA4

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 3, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair, he was 91 years old so it wasn't like he was taken before his time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Believe him, we're the only ones who care. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjmEeJiBlhw&t=204s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Batman Beyond had a really high deathcount for a kid's show.

I think Terry kinda killed a guy in the first episode.

• Locked thread