Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Please murder this thread, its better at home as a Kotaku article or a reddit karma attempt, then something awful. Constant I know how to run Nintendo better (I'm guilty too) with obvious problems pointed out like its a eureka moment.
Marketing issues? Check. 3rd Party support problems? Check. Any brilliant solutions? well...

To preempt the natural flood of the ps4 and xbone year one mishaps threads could there be a subforum where all this could be ignored be made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I must say that I'm *shocked* that a mod named Koopa wants to close this thread.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I hope the thread stays open because there is likely to be more negative news in the future, and critical discussion tends to disturb the flow of the other thread. Hopefully, moderation can iron out any console warrior battles, but I see it as analogous to the Xbox Tears thread in being something of an outlet for frustration over Nintendo's boneheaded moves.

Strange Matter posted:

Did you read my post at all? I'm not saying the Wii's success means the WiiU will be fine, I'm saying that the Wii's success means Nintendo will be fine. The WiiU is currently shaping up to be, at best, another N64. That's not great for Nintendo and means that Iwata will probably be fired or something, but there will be a console after the WiiU. If that one fails will Nintendo be out of the home console market? Maybe, but that's putting the cart before the horse. But asking the question "Is the Wii U Nintendo's Dreamcast?" is explicitly saying that the WiiU is going to knock Nintendo out of the home console market.

The Dreamcast comparison is made not because of the similarity of the companies involved but because the Dreamcast has become a universal symbol for any console released a year early only to be wiped out when a popular competitor releases a more powerful console.

quote:

We can't close the thread now! We haven't established whether Nintendo is going bankrupt next month in Q1 2014!

Nobody that I can recall has claimed that Nintendo is going out of business. Criticism of the Wii U or speculation about someday leaving the home console market to focus on handhelds isn't a proclamation that the company will cease to exist.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

illcendiary posted:

I must say that I'm *shocked* that a mod named Koopa wants to close this thread.

Yeah, you'd think the Koopa's would want to destroy all things Mario am I right?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Toady posted:

The Dreamcast comparison is made not because of the similarity of the companies involved but because the Dreamcast has become a universal symbol for any console released a year early only to be wiped out when a popular competitor releases a more powerful console.
That's a fair enough comparison, but it's a little silly nonetheless because it's not like it's the benchmark for an observably trend given that it's happened exactly once, with the Dreamcast itself.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

That's a fair enough comparison, but it's a little silly nonetheless because it's not like it's the benchmark for an observably trend given that it's happened exactly once, with the Dreamcast itself.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Is the Wii U Nintendo's Jaguar?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It was just such a public crash-and-burn that it immediately became a cliche.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OatmealRaisin posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Is the Wii U Nintendo's Jaguar?

Does that mean we get Cannon Fodder?

Loved that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toady posted:

It was just such a public crash-and-burn that it immediately became a cliche.

I mean, christ, there were tons of articles online about the 360's launch and how it was going to be the next Dreamcast because it launched so far ahead of the competition despite that comparison not making any drat sense.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

To preempt the natural flood of the ps4 and xbone year one mishaps threads could there be a subforum where all this could be ignored be made?

Yes, some kind of safe haven, where people can talk freely about how their consoles suck...

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

illcendiary posted:

Nah I like this thread. I would just prefer that it didn't generate a bunch of reports because some people don't know how to post without getting into slapfights. There's a lot of great discussion to be had about how not to launch a console or how not to sit on the success you had from a previous console and then blow it all on horrible marketing and a weird controller, but that can be done without talking down to people like they're a piece of poo poo.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kewpuh posted:

Nah I like this thread. I would just prefer that it didn't generate a bunch of reports because some people don't know how to post without getting into slapfights. There's a lot of great discussion to be had about how not to launch a console or how not to sit on the success you had from a previous console and then blow it all on horrible marketing and a weird controller, but that can be done without talking down to people like they're a piece of poo poo.
Yeah I agree; the problems come with people either being self-deluded or needlessly spiteful, or rehashing the same arguments over and over ("The WiiU isn't Nintendo's Dreamcast, Dreamcast had games!!!").

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

I mean, christ, there were tons of articles online about the 360's launch and how it was going to be the next Dreamcast because it launched so far ahead of the competition despite that comparison not making any drat sense.

Yeah, it's a cliche about temporary superiority followed by immediate obsolescence, a leftover from the technology race of the 90s. The PS3 isn't much more powerful than the 360. Comparing the Wii U to the Dreamcast at least makes more sense because it's a new console with quirky hardware that's apparently more powerful than current consoles but less powerful than those launching a year later.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Nintendo will keep producing consoles and console games because right now their handheld market is completely saturated. Not oversaturated, just saturated. Their release schedule is flowing so good with 3ds it would be counterproductive to devote more resources to 3ds games. All of their handheld systems have had points in their run like this. To make more money they have to devote resources to other avenues, consoles in this case, because they aren't making money on WiiU yet, but costs will drop and there will be enough games eventually that they will.

If they ever go handheld only they will have to shrink significantly, and they will be making less money in the long run.

Maybe when the complexity of handheld games gets to the point they can't reliably pump out games fast enough, then they'll focus only on handheld.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Was this posted yet? I guess Morrisons is aslo dropping the Wii U.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analysis-can-nintendo-turn-wii-u-sales-around-this-christmas/0119501

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Strange Matter posted:

The Dreamcast was the final gamble of a developer trying desperately to stay in the console market after two miserable console failures that folllowed up on their most successful outing which still got soundly beat by their competitor.

I'm probably naive/delusional and I didn't read videogame journalism during the SNES/Megadrive era (I was 7 or so), but I have the general idea that the Megadrive was actually quite successful. Didn't this happen and I just want to think that my console was the very best? :/

VVV EDIT VVV: Yup, I know saturn died quite fast, but the guy I quoted was mentioning 2 miserable failures, thus my question: was megadrive/genesis SUCH a failure?

Cable fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 1, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cable posted:

I'm probably naive/delusional and I didn't read videogame journalism during the SNES/Megadrive era (I was 7 or so), but I have the general idea that the Megadrive was actually quite successful. Didn't this happen and I just want to think that my console was the very best? :/

You're missing a console between megadrive and dreamcast that managed to sell only about 8.5 million units world wide.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cable posted:

VVV EDIT VVV: Yup, I know saturn died quite fast, but the guy I quoted was mentioning 2 miserable failures, thus my question: was megadrive/genesis SUCH a failure?

The two failures he's referring to are the 32x and Saturn. 32x technically isn't its own console but I think that's what he means. Pretty sure Sega CD was a pretty big stinker too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

The two failures he's referring to are the 32x and Saturn. 32x technically isn't its own console but I think that's what he means. Pretty sure Sega CD was a pretty big stinker too.

There was also the Sega Nomad which crashed and burned in the portable market.

poo poo, they only sold a million units world wide over 2 years.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cable posted:

As Greatn said I was referring to the 32x in particular, but if that's not enough of its own console you can staple the Sega CD to that as well, which together make up enough failed ventures to at least equal one Virtual Boy.

The Megadrive was plenty successful in its own right but was still solidly outsold by the SNES to the tune of between 8-12 million units (according to Wikipedia, which cites the Megadrive/Genesis as selling between 37 and 41 million units), which is a much wider gulf than the 3-4 million units separating the Xbox from the Gamecube. When you factor in that the Master System only sold about 10 million units vs the NES's 60 million you get the idea that the Genesis was Sega's only real triumph in the console market.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Kewpuh posted:

FWIW, I like this thread too. :shobon: Some console warrioring was inevitable I suppose, but I do genuinely take interest in sales numbers, developer support and so on. If a handful of posters could show some restraint, we'd be golden.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Basically the comparison is between a flop from a company that can't afford any more flops, and a flop from a company that can.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

In somewhat related news to yesterday's announcement of Arkham Origins lacking online multiplayer for the Wii U version, the Nintendo exclusive "Sonic Lost Worlds" is following a similar path. The online modes of multiplayer will only be available for the 3DS version, while the Wii U's will remain local and for 2 players.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=206106

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Zomodok posted:

Alright, I'll stop posting in the Wii U main thread and this thread.

Can I post in the 3DS thread though? Because I actually enjoy that system and love playing on it because it's a great handheld though recently all I've been playing on it is New Leaf. ((I mean I haven't even made a post in the 3DS thread because I haven't found a reason to but being banned from it before I could even ask a question seems a little bit uptight? ))

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

If you're mad about Kewpuh's decision that's one thing, but it's unbelievably lovely of you to drag this offsite to somebody else in an attempt to stir up support for your cause. Your rapsheet's loving abysmal. If you come back here and start more poo poo I'm just banning you over and over for it. Don't waste your energy contacting us to whine again, no one's going to pay attention to you.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

These kinds of choices are beyond bizarre.

Also that you'll never foster any kind of multiplayer base if you never have multiplayer games end up on the system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're just following Nintendo's lead. See the multiplayer for Nintendoland, New Super Mario U, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3D land. Yet in 3DS, Nintendo actually adds online multiplayer to games like Luigi's Mansion.

Who the hell knows why.

Personally I don't mind not having online multiplayer, as long as they aren't charging the same price as games that do have it. I bet Arkham charges the same for the WiiU version though, while Sega probably will actually sell Sonic at a discount.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Syfe posted:

Also that you'll never foster any kind of multiplayer base if you never have multiplayer games end up on the system.

Well they have Call of Duty. :v:

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

DrPaper posted:

In somewhat related news to yesterday's announcement of Arkham Origins lacking online multiplayer for the Wii U version, the Nintendo exclusive "Sonic Lost Worlds" is following a similar path. The online modes of multiplayer will only be available for the 3DS version, while the Wii U's will remain local and for 2 players.

That's baffling how with Sonic, the console version is not getting the online multiplayer. Would have thought it being the other way around. Although the Wii U audience isn't exactly huge, surely developers must realise that by gutting features the other platforms have dissuades people from buying the Wii U version?

Not sure if this has been raised yet, but appreantly the major UK supermarket Morrisons has dropped the Wii U much like Asda. I certainly had never seen the Wii U being promoted in the stores I've been to, not even a single disc to verify its existance. And when popping over to GAME yesterday I didn't see a single section for Wii U, the Vita and the Ouya have a small section for their stuff for comparison's sake. That's pretty bad. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DrPaper posted:

This makes so little sense. Why would your exclusive not have multiplayer? I don't even understand.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was this thread that someone said there was no point in buying a Wii U early. Well I probably saved more money buying Xenoblade before it went up in price than I would have had I waited for the discount. So gently caress ya'll. (If this is the wrong thread, could someone tell the guys in the other thread to go gently caress themselves? TIA)

I still have no Wii U games. Any word on something from Platinum?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

I think it was this thread that someone said there was no point in buying a Wii U early. Well I probably saved more money buying Xenoblade before it went up in price than I would have had I waited for the discount. So gently caress ya'll. (If this is the wrong thread, could someone tell the guys in the other thread to go gently caress themselves? TIA)

I still have no Wii U games. Any word on something from Platinum?

Wonderful 101 comes out very soon and Bayonetta 2 is in production. I would buy W101 if simply because the odds are very very good that it's gonna bomb tremendously.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ImpAtom posted:

Wonderful 101 comes out very soon and Bayonetta 2 is in production. I would buy W101 if simply because the odds are very very good that it's gonna bomb tremendously.

It's coming out what? Two weeks before GTAV? I'm buying it day one even if I'm gonna be busy for the next month or so. Never really played Platinum games much but this one looks like a ton of fun.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's coming out what? Two weeks before GTAV? I'm buying it day one even if I'm gonna be busy for the next month or so. Never really played Platinum games much but this one looks like a ton of fun.

5 days after GTA V actually, Sep 15th, also my birthday coincidentally.

But yea the decked is stacked massively against W101, you got Diablo 3, the Kingdom Hearts HD remake and GTA V in the same month, that's on top of the fact that W101 is a hyper japanese game and a new IP, it only speaks to people like us.

Its a huge shame because I am tired of seeing Platinum IP's fail or don't do enough in sales. :cry:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's contract work in this case I thought, and Platinum is getting paid either way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This edges into the general sickness of the game industry as a whole, but remember that Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies and Square Enix regarded that as not meeting expectations.

You would have to sell to every single person who owns a Wii U to hit those numbers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

This edges into the general sickness of the game industry as a whole, but remember that Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies and Square Enix regarded that as not meeting expectations.

You would have to sell to every single person who owns a Wii U to hit those numbers.

That's just Square being dumb, their own IP's are doing horribly with FF14 with a huge money pit, easier to just blame it on their overseas stuff than their own crap. Plus they already announced a next gen sequel.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Go look at NFSMW, the Wii U was superior in every way except car count in multiplayer, and that was because of lovely dev tools, Nintendo's fault, and it was a quick and dirty port to get the game done.

I know that this is from a few pages back, but Criterion don't do quick and dirty ports.

Of all the developers who have developed games for the Wii U, Criterion are the last ones to be called lazy. The only other games that have a significant amount of new content and features are ports of year-old games like Batman: Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Criterion are also superb at optimising each game to get the most out of the hardware, so you can't claim that it's not leaps and bounds over the PS3 and 360 versions because of bad programming.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Syfe posted:

But it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing. The WiiU has a small userbase, so there's no point putting the extra development time into the WiiU ports, that in turn insures the WiiU versions will sell worse than the other versions, meaning that there's no online presence for those games...

It's like how the 360 snowballed upwards by fostering a strong online presence, the WiiU has snowballed downwards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

But it's a bit of a chicken/egg thing. The WiiU has a small userbase, so there's no point putting the extra development time into the WiiU ports, that in turn insures the WiiU versions will sell worse than the other versions, meaning that there's no online presence for those games...

It's like how the 360 snowballed upwards by fostering a strong online presence, the WiiU has snowballed downwards.

I don't think it's so much of a chicken/egg thing because it's Nintendo who's responsible for treating the WiiU like a long-term investment, not 3rd party developers. They're the only ones who can prove to publishers that putting in extra development time will pay off with a large userbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fallom posted:

I don't think it's so much of a chicken/egg thing because it's Nintendo who's responsible for treating the WiiU like a long-term investment, not 3rd party developers. They're the only ones who can prove to publishers that putting in extra development time will pay off with a large userbase.

Yeah but that was early on, at this point there's literally no way you're going to convince any 3rd party to spend any amount of extra time and money on a WiiU port, which is going to continue the rapid decline in 3rd party support of even the most bare-bones, outsourced ports.

Nintendo flat out missed the boat on 3rd party support, especially since those devs have bigger fish to fry now with the PS4 and Xbone.

• Locked thread