Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

A really awesome photo of the F-35.

That looks like some still frame from a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

A really awesome photo of the F-35.

That thing looks like a crazy-rear end sci-fi plane from that angle, I had trouble figuring out what I was looking at for a moment.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There isn't a higher rez one out on the internet beyond what Gizmodo posted. They credit the photo and two others to a 'tipster'.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It is, shame the thing's a hunk of garbage.

Partially because it's a not-F-15 :colbert:

You went one too high. :colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a drat crying shame only IRAN runs these.
We are going to be shooting down F14s in our next conflict. :cry:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
F-15s were shooting them down for 20 years in DACT. :colbert:

But yeah it's a sexy loving plane and I miss them. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wasabi the J posted:

You went one too high. :colbert:

False it is a scientific fact that the F-15 is the most aesthetically pleasing fighter this side of WWII.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
F16 A/B and C/D are WAAAAY sexier.
The F16F/G got fat or something. Someone needs to tell F16F/G to just STOP EATING PIE GOD drat IT.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The F-16 is inferior in every imaginable way. And you mean the E/F got fat. But now it's got the energy reserves to actually get somewhere useful for once.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

False it is a scientific fact that the F-15 is the most aesthetically pleasing fighter this side of WWII.

My 8 year old brain is saying when the wings move, it's always cooler. That's why the F-14 wins over the flying tennis court.

Further evidence that the wings moving is cool:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bone don't got no mission.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

My 8 year old brain is saying when the wings move, it's always cooler. a giant maintenance pig and a huge pain in everyone's dick.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:negative: I know :negative:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I always chuckled seeing the aerial views of NAS Oceana and seeing all the F-14 shaped oil stains that are now permanently etched into the concrete

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also with those moving wings it would be tough to be LO.

I've always wanted to kill whoever sold tomcat to iran.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Are you an Iranian jet mechanic?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Baloogan posted:

Bone don't got no mission.

It's been doing well for itself for the past 12 years.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
You're all loving wrong the F-8 Crusader is the sexiest plane

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Baloogan posted:

Also with those moving wings it would be tough to be LO.

How about whoever kept selling them spare parts until 2007

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think everyone is forgetting about the f4 phantom....

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You bunch of goddamn mooks haven't even mentioned the A-10. Quit loving up.

fighters and fighter culture is loving stupid qtiyd

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A-10 is the best plane ever thread closed

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You bunch of goddamn mooks haven't even mentioned the A-10. Quit loving up.

fighters and fighter culture is loving stupid qtiyd

A-10 is :black101: as gently caress.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

This is what an A10 looks like.... stoned.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
I've always thought that the SU-27 family of jets is simply stunning. There is just something about that side profile.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Filthy Luker posted:

I've always thought that the SU-27 family of jets is simply stunning. There is just something about that side profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O9q6EJhssQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfTH796fv1A

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sexy as gently caress, but useful in exactly one tactical situation (which Western pilots have been avoiding since at least WWII).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

Sexy as gently caress, but useful in exactly one tactical situation (which Western pilots have been avoiding since at least WWII).

Yet we keep getting dragged into them when our enemies have fighters. Gun pods and Top Gun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, not dogfights in general. Pulling a cobra will get you killed unless you're in a strict 1v1 situation where the adversary is directly on your tail. That doesn't happen very often, for a lot of reasons. One of which is that rule #1 for most western nations is that you NEVER go into the merge without a wingman. So when a Sukhoi pulls a cobra, your wingman pops him. This was well established by WWII. Most dogfights actually involve 4+ aircraft.

The ONLY situation where a cobra has any positive impact is if you have exactly one adversary, who is almost directly behind you, at an insanely close range (probably a 1/4 mile or so). Basically, the exact thing you saw in Top Gun. If any of those factors aren't in place, you just showed your largest profile to your enemy and bled off so much of your energy that you're a sitting duck. When it comes to within visual range combat, speed is energy and energy is life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

No, not dogfights in general. Pulling a cobra will get you killed unless you're in a strict 1v1 situation where the adversary is directly on your tail. That doesn't happen very often, for a lot of reasons. One of which is that rule #1 for most western nations is that you NEVER go into the merge without a wingman. So when a Sukhoi pulls a cobra, your wingman pops him. This was well established by WWII. Most dogfights actually involve 4+ aircraft.

The ONLY situation where a cobra has any positive impact is if you have exactly one adversary, who is almost directly behind you, at an insanely close range (probably a 1/4 mile or so). Basically, the exact thing you saw in Top Gun. If any of those factors aren't in place, you just showed your largest profile to your enemy and bled off so much of your energy that you're a sitting duck. When it comes to within visual range combat, speed is energy and energy is life.

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant. Sorry.

e: whoops my tables

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 1, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
You're all wrong. There are many aesthetically pleasing aircraft, but only one is the hotness.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:godwin:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

And the classic

From last year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hail to the king, baby.

You all need to visit Kennedy Space Center if you haven't yet. They have an original Saturn V on display, and they just opened up an exhibit for the shuttle Atlantis, which is absolutely stunning.

edit: And I know it's not a plane per sé but holy gently caress :flashfap:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 1, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all are wrong, this is the coolest looking plane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_KUc3suWE

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This was always another favorite, the X-15, the aircraft that was pretty much the precursor to Project Mercury:

Since it was essentially a rocket with wings, it couldn't take off normally. It was taken up under the wing of a B-52 to an altitude of around 45,000', then released.

Had a top speed of Mach 6.72 (fastest manned aircraft in history), and it flew so high that the aircraft was technically in space and some pilots even saying they experienced weightlessness, and all pilots earned astronaut wings.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 1, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
pyf ship names that are also hate crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vasudus posted:

From last year.

Udvar-Hazy owns. I had my high school robotics team halloween social in that gigantic building when it first opened. All the planes were open and had spider webs and poo poo. It owned.

• Locked thread