Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Courtesy of the poster thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Adrianics posted:

Don't you guys at least want to wait and see what it looks like, you know, in the film before you start dismissing it? I think it's pretty rad they've actually built a Sentinel and are using practical effects.

I just wanted a Sentinel that looks vaguely like the ones from the comics/90's cartoon. Remotely. Even inspired by.... This is none of those things.

And I totally understand wanting to update the design, no Comic Book Movie is going to look exactly like the book (except for Watchmen maybe) - but at least draw some inspiration from the designs... Jesus...

Is this really that hard:

edit: Rhyno, back me up here...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xealot posted:

See, this is why I love the sentinel design, actually. It looks like a consumer product.

Yes, as I clarified in my later posts, I just thought the similarity was interesting, not a negative. Definitely better than the "designed to look evil" stuff in the post right above this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I assume they wanted less 'Giant Purple Iron Man' and more 'Mass Production Sanitation Robot' which they've pretty much nailed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just want the sentinel to be twice the size it currently is. It needs to be capable of standing on the X-Men with its feet and crushing them

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That sentinel is from the 70s. I doubt the design will be exactly the same in the future. Which will probably be 100% CGI.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 1, 2013

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Deadpool posted:

I don't really see anything wrong with that at all. And I think it's cool they actually built one instead of just doing everything in CG.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I honest to god was expecting full on CGI fest with the sentinels so I am pretty stoked they built a real one. The fact that they built a real one that drat big is amazing and I expect (hope) it will look great on screen when filmed right, especially with certain perspectives.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Xealot posted:

See, this is why I love the sentinel design, actually. It looks like a consumer product. That's the entire point...it's the point of the fake Trask Industries ad, as well. The sentinel is supposed to look fairly innocuous and friendly, with clean lines and simple shapes and rounded corners, because it is walking propaganda.

If they made an obviously evil-looking deathbot, it'd become ED-209, which is intended as a crass satire of how obliviously fascist OmniCorp actually is. The entire purpose of the Sentinels is to provide a safe and reliable-seeming defense against an external "mutant threat" that is pernicious and corrupting. The smartest way to sell that is to make it look like an Apple product that's downright friendly. Trask isn't scary because he (or his products) are imposing. He's scary because he is authoritarian and people are too complacent to realize it.

:colbert: This Sentinel design is excellent. I hope the rest of the movie holds up, because they've been making great decisions.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah I'm on team-Sentinels-are-dope. I wanted a big goofy purple robot and that's exactly what I got.

I laughed my rear end off at seeing the picture but this is the line of thinking I'm following. I think I've gotten to the point where I don't take this poo poo seriously anymore and just want something glorious.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I just wanted a Sentinel that looks vaguely like the ones from the comics/90's cartoon. Remotely. Even inspired by.... This is none of those things.

I know, right? I'm actually surprised the robots aren't just all black at this point. Was it too hard to just make it inspired by the comic Sentinels? Just enough to say "Hey, that is a Sentinel!" If you look at one of these things completely out of context, they just look like a generic robot. But really, we shouldn't be surprised at this point.

If there is one thing I can count on, it's that the Fox X-Men movies will go out of their way to not look anything like their source material. My advice to anyone adapting something to the screen...if you dislike enough about the source you are working with that the finished product barely resembles it, then come up with your own original IP that fits your vision rather than making GBS threads up an existing one.

I'd give my left nut for Marvel to get the X-Men movie license back from Fox.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 1, 2013

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The original design for sentinels looks goofy as all hell.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No goofier than the Iron Man suit. Plus, it doesn't have to be an exact translation. Just keep something that instantly identifies it as a Sentinel outside of the :effort: 'Well it's purple!".

Either of these with minor tweaks would look great on film.

Gatts posted:

I think they should go full retard with the Sentinels.

Going 'full retard' should be the baseline approach to any superhero-based comic movie.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 2, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Like I want Paul Giamatti to be just himself in Amazing Spider-man, I think they should go full retard with the Sentinels. Pocket iSentinels. Sell em to everyone. A mutant nearby? It beeps, you throw it on the ground like a pokeball, and out pops/tranforms a Sentinel to defend you from the accursed devilry.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DFu4ever posted:

No goofier than the Iron Man suit.

Considerably more goofy than the Iron Man suit. The original design is pretty loving lovely looking, like a big, angry (and somehow gayer) C3PO.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

No goofier than the Iron Man suit. Plus, it doesn't have to be an exact translation. Just keep something that instantly identifies it as a Sentinel outside of the :effort: 'Well it's purple!".

They look like sentinels to me. They're no more different in design than any of the other versions. Except they don't have those idiotic feet/lower legs.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I love the Evil Asimo look. It fits the vibe of the Trask ad very well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

If I read your comment first, and then I see that Sentinel photo for the first time afterwards, I would figure that they did exactly what you wanted.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, I hope the majority of the rest of Dinklage's career is him playing characters where nobody references his height. I love the fact that his role in Days of Future Past wasn't written with a dwarf in mind, and I really hope its never referenced in the film at all.

In a perfect world yes. But we live in a world where Grown Ups 2 made $50,000,000 opening weekend. I guarantee that at the end of the movie the wisecracking edgy good guy will say "looks like you're... short on time" right before blowing Dinklage away with a laser blast.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I also hope it has the same voice as the robot from Rocky 4 and entrance theme.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

935 posted:

In a perfect world yes. But we live in a world where Grown Ups 2 made $50,000,000 opening weekend. I guarantee that at the end of the movie the wisecracking edgy good guy will say "looks like you're... short on time" right before blowing Dinklage away with a laser blast.

Ahem... they are optic blasts not lasers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

And I totally understand wanting to update the design, no Comic Book Movie is going to look exactly like the book (except for Watchmen maybe) - but at least draw some inspiration from the designs... Jesus...

I need to see the whole thing in motion. The only part I don't care for is the chest vent thing. And hopefully we see a modern version at some point that looks a little slicker/comicy.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The killer abs and skull cap are the greatest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Who gives a poo poo if it doesn't look the same as the comics, or even similar. It's not the comics. It's a movie. Ian McKellan doesn't look like this:

Please. Let's stop putting muscles on everything just because it's a comic book.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah the sentinel looks pretty boss, I dunno what you nerds are whining about.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

DFu4ever posted:

I know, right? I'm actually surprised the robots aren't just all black at this point. Was it too hard to just make it inspired by the comic Sentinels? Just enough to say "Hey, that is a Sentinel!" If you look at one of these things completely out of context, they just look like a generic robot. But really, we shouldn't be surprised at this point.

If there is one thing I can count on, it's that the Fox X-Men movies will go out of their way to not look anything like their source material. My advice to anyone adapting something to the screen...if you dislike enough about the source you are working with that the finished product barely resembles it, then come up with your own original IP that fits your vision rather than making GBS threads up an existing one.

I'd give my left nut for Marvel to get the X-Men movie license back from Fox.

"The 90s were the best decade."
:qqsay:

This is loving hilarious, because neither of you seem to know poo poo about Sentinels. You're not complaining about "authenticity" you're whining because things are different from what you grew up with.

The original Sentinels were Jack Kirby as gently caress.

The 90s did their own awful and terrible things to the original Sentinels, so let the movie try to do something new with them. And the farther away we get from Xtreme 90s bulging muscles the better.

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

wyoming posted:

"The 90s were the best decade."
:qqsay:

This is loving hilarious, because neither of you seem to know poo poo about Sentinels. You're not complaining about "authenticity" you're whining because things are different from what you grew up with.

The original Sentinels were Jack Kirby as gently caress.

The 90s did their own awful and terrible things to the original Sentinels, so let the movie try to do something new with them. And the farther away we get from Xtreme 90s bulging muscles the better.
This design looks way better then the nineties ones. Muscles on a robot in live action would seriously look even more ridiculous then the batnipples did

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Master Mold is why I like comic books.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Master Mold is why I like comic books.

I was just wondering if we're gonna get some form of Master Mold in the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I see where the focus group filter for the design is coming from but is that really what sentinels are? They have a pretty iconic look and diverging from it just takes from them. Then again I'm sure thats not going to be the only design for the movie so ill shut up about it. before someone tells me the updated design for ED-209 is good.

(It's actually perfect but that makes sense with the style and themes they're going for).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I was just wondering if we're gonna get some form of Master Mold in the movie.

I'm assuming we'll just get a slightly adapted and melded version of the two stories where Trask's redemptive arc is sacrificing himself to stop the bad future from coming about rather than destroying Master Mold.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I see where the focus group filter for the design is coming from but is that really what sentinels are? They have a pretty iconic look and diverging from it just takes from them.

There's been like fifty different kinds of Sentinels.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope we get to see Nimrod in this movie. Bishop is in it, after all...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Sentinel looks just fine, and it's early still. Everyone in this thread fell over themselves busting a gut when the debuted the costume/character designs for Thor, but everyone stopped being so drat pithy after they saw them on the big screen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd kind of be cool with it if Bishop was a time travelling dude who was tracking Nimrod who is going around in time killing mutants off.

Because his other reason for being was kind of hilarious in the result.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

There's been like fifty different kinds of Sentinels.

And the vast majority have similar design elements.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those sentinels look retarded. Their aversion to the original design (which kicks rear end) is ridiculous. Like whyyyy do you need to change that. Is it just something against big purple things that make filmmakers go "change it to something dumb" (see: Galactus)

I can understand why they'd change it. The comic sentinels can veer a little towards the Iron Man design. on the up side, at least they didn't go with the anime mech design they had a couple years back.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

And the vast majority have similar design elements.

And so does the one in the picture. I mean it's ok if you don't like it, but saying that it doesn't even reference the source material is silly. Tall purple humanoid robot with long legs, a large circular thing in the chest area, a canister shaped head and glowing yellow eyes. It's definitely a Sentinel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I... don't actually get what's supposed to be wrong with it? I recognize a big purple robot. Is it the lack of muscles or the faux humanoid face? Were those essential?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The DOFP Sentinel kinda reminds me of some of the "wild sentinels" from the early part of Grant Morrison's run. Especially with the chaingun arm, which I didn't notice at first.

All y'all naysayers should be glad we didn't end up with this tub of crap from early designs for X-Men 3.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I... don't actually get what's supposed to be wrong with it? I recognize a big purple robot. Is it the lack of muscles or the faux humanoid face? Were those essential?

It doesn't look like it did in the cartoon I watched as a child. All these movies need to resemble the things I liked as a child except they should appeal to me as an adult by being "darker"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The DOFP Sentinel kinda reminds me of some of the "wild sentinels" from the early part of Grant Morrison's run. Especially with the chaingun arm, which I didn't notice at first.

All y'all naysayers should be glad we didn't end up with this tub of crap from early designs for X-Men 3.

The "vent" in the chest I'm going to guess is actually a jet. I'm assuming it will use it as a way to fly like a weird Russian hovering jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

feedmyleg posted:

The "vent" in the chest I'm going to guess is actually a jet. I'm assuming it will use it as a way to fly like a weird Russian hovering jet.

The vent is the only thing I see "wrong" with it. I could see why they don't want an energy glowy circle because everyone would just compare it to ironman like someone else said in the thread. But the vent just looks so drat silly, but so would a huge chest cannon or muscles. So maybe if its closed mostly and opens up to fly ill be cool with it. Also I hate the white feet on the sentinels. Make em purple Damnt!

• Locked thread