Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
There's a 2006 movie on Netflix called The Go Master. I've played hundreds of games, which is a single drop in the pond compared to many, but I can't wrap my head around this master's opening game. Playing the center point three moves in? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There's a 2006 movie on Netflix called The Go Master. I've played hundreds of games, which is a single drop in the pond compared to many, but I can't wrap my head around this master's opening game. Playing the center point three moves in? What?

Is that the Game of the Century, or something else? I tried the Super Sanrensei a lot as a nublet but I guess you gotta be wicked at attacking (and timing!!!) to use a sanrensei that isn't a moyo

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I was playing as Black, ready to accept my 37 point loss when White passed on her move (Black to play) and I suddenly saw it. We had both missed it up 'til then.

The best part is, White panicked and resigned immediately. There was a way to respond to Black's move that would have saved her the game, but that's what you get for not calmly counting and freaking out instead. If White tries to save the cut stone, Black can play a nice little sequence of moves to win.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 8, 2013

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
Where was the move?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I think that image is before he made the move, in which case J10 is really good. B-J10, W-K11, B-J7, W-H7, B-H5 is devastating for white. So white has to play something like K7 and lose ~15 points

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

RoboBlaster posted:

Where was the move?

Black to play, aiming for maximum profit.

Ninjew
Aug 3, 2004

I'm thinking of getting back into playing online regularly! Do people still play on KGS these days? Or is there a new hotness Go server that people are playing on?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Ninjew posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into playing online regularly! Do people still play on KGS these days? Or is there a new hotness Go server that people are playing on?

KGS is still the go to server. Join the SA room and ask for access to ITGO.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
The KGS interface is kind of weird. Is it possible to play 9x9 there? How long would a 9x9 game take do you think?

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
It's possible to play on any square board between 2x2 and 38x38, just change the board size option when you start a new custom game. A 9x9 game does not usually take very long, maybe 15-20 minutes if both players play pretty slowly.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Prodigious posted:

It's possible to play on any square board between 2x2 and 38x38, just change the board size option when you start a new custom game. A 9x9 game does not usually take very long, maybe 15-20 minutes if both players play pretty slowly.

Cool thanks. Any recommendations for a Eupro-Goon. It seems like most people like to play at night. I like to play after lunch which doesn't seem to be too populated.

Found this whopper at goproblems.com:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Just stick with the 1001 books and tsumego.tasuki.org :supaburn:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

bollig posted:

Cool thanks. Any recommendations for a Eupro-Goon. It seems like most people like to play at night. I like to play after lunch which doesn't seem to be too populated.

Found this whopper at goproblems.com:

I'm in EU and come on at around lunchtime for a quick game but yeah evening is the best. And like Hels said, goproblems is.. ugh... you want quality problems, not crazy stuff like that.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Under 15 posted:

Just stick with the 1001 books and tsumego.tasuki.org :supaburn:

This one was an outlier. goproblems has pretty good actually. They have some gimmicks. I've been using gochild, but the interface is terrible. I'll check out tasuki.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
How do you use walls? I've seen so much in reviews, books and KGS chat that trading territory for influence (or walls) can be good, but I don't really understand how. Googling got me this:

quote:

The correct way to use walls in go is an important aspect of strategy. Proper understanding requires the concept of thickness. The value of a wall depends very much on the extent to which it can be used to construct a framework, or to attack. If neither of those plans applies, the wall will not be so useful. Indeed a wall can become a weak group quite easily, if it is made in an inappropriate context, or neglected

which is pretty much what I already know anyway, so I was wondering if anybody knew any specific resources that actually teach you what to do with a wall?

I haven't played this game for a year, I can't believe I can still beat people around the same rank that I could last summer!

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Using thickness well is one of the hardest parts of go, but if you want a collection of articles check out Sensei's Library for a collection of pages about how to use influence.

The basic idea is that by securing a solid position at one place on the board, you can fight more securely somewhere else because of how your thickness affects the fight. A simple example is using your position as a ladder breaker, or maybe you don't have to worry about get separated into two groups because you can easily run and connect one of them to your thickness.

It's really complicated and you probably have be a high dan player to really understand it well, but it's a pretty important topic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Whenever I had a lot of thickness, it always felt a little like mirror go. You have to be patient and decide the right time to get the guns out and go crazy. If you can do it even a little bit better than 'No understanding at all' you will fly up the kyu ranks.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Illegal Move posted:

How do you use walls? I've seen so much in reviews, books and KGS chat that trading territory for influence (or walls) can be good, but I don't really understand how. Googling got me this:

which is pretty much what I already know anyway, so I was wondering if anybody knew any specific resources that actually teach you what to do with a wall?

I haven't played this game for a year, I can't believe I can still beat people around the same rank that I could last summer!

When you are in a shoving match and a large wall is forming, the biggest question is this: who can tenuki first?

If you're the person getting the wall, you want to tenuki eventually so you can make your extension. If you can do this, you're at an advantage, because when your opponent invades that extension you can mash him against the wall mercilessly. So, as the one getting the wall, you're looking for a place where you can tenuki without your opponent being able to push you up a line or worse, bend you backward.

If you're the person giving the wall in exchange for territory, you want to find a spot to tenuki so you can play (sometimes exactly) where your opponent wanted to go, to spoil his extension. If your spoiling stone gets attacked from the outside, it has lots of space to make life/escape and negate the opponent's wall. If the opponent extends from his wall and butts up to your spoiling stone, he's sold himself short compared to what he should have gotten and is also overconcentrated.

Anyway, the bigger the wall, the bigger the stakes. If you let your opponent give you a big ol' wall in exchange for corner and side territory, and you let him beat you to that extension, you're in deep poo poo.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Under 15 posted:

If you can do this, you're at an advantage, because when your opponent invades that extension you can mash him against the wall mercilessly.

and while you're mashing him against said wall, if you've played your stones in the right place you're building a framework elsewhere..... but yeah thickness is hard to explain, i don't really understand it well.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Here's something you'd never, ever see in a dan-level game, to illustrate my point.

The reason is that when white selects the q17 sequence, he's trading some territory for this powerful wall; in this position, it's a horrible idea because he needs to be able to get to the k16 area first to make the wall worthwhile. On this board, black would play k17 next, and all white's plays will be wasted. This is because if white plays m17 in reply, he's way over-concentrated, and if he tries h17, black can jump into the center or make a base and white's attack is impossible.

If white already controls the k16 area this is a perfectly good sequence to play. With the way this board lies, however, he can't get there in time, so you will never see it happen. White will block at r16 and play the other familiar sequence, where the wall won't be quite as good but he'll at least have sente at the end to extend from it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

To clarify, the wall has power, but it only extends so far. I'd say everything to the right of the red line is where this wall rules and can put the hurt on enemy stones through pincer attacks.

Black playing at k17 is like loving with an animal at the zoo. It can't quite get to you, but five feet closer and it would be a different story.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Everything you guys posted is really helpful, especially that picture. Thanks!
Another thing I've been wondering about is how I can get better at reading faster. I often end my games in byo-yomi while my opponents have 10 minutes on their clocks. I usually lose a lot of points in the end-game because I just don't have time to read everything out anymore, sometimes it even makes me lose games that I was actually winning when I still had time to read. Is the only way to improve to just play more and keep doing it, or does anybody have any different advice?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Illegal Move posted:

or does anybody have any different advice?
However much you've been thinking in the opening/midgame, it's too much for you to feel comfortable during the endgame. Rush a bit. (Note: Since the endgame may have a lot of easy moves, the actual answer is probably to do a bunch of life and death to do endgame stuff more quickly, or something.)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

If you're running out of time, I'd turn it up. That way your opponent has 20 minutes they're not using instead of ten, and you can be sure you're playing at full strength.

The long-term solution to your problem is to do tsumego. If you improve your reading, you will be able to make better decisions, and you'll be able to make them much faster as well. It makes a difference - it's not just like "hey I could read six moves ahead and now I can read ten," it's more like "I could read six moves ahead in three lines of play and now I can read ten moves ahead on five." Tsumego works in two directions on your pathetic brain-computer, so it's a bigger deal than you'd think.

The point of doing tsumego is to work on your visualization skills, which is why most people will tell you to look at the problem and think about it, rather than put it on a board and throw stones everywhere. Knowing the solution has some value to it, but you get more out of it if you stretch your brain by thinking rather than doing. Sometimes, when I'm doing problems, I'll try to memorize the problem and not look at the book at all.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Are there any decent apps for iOS?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

SmartGo I think is the premier Go app for iOS, but I'm an Android kind of ting

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
Trying to get back into go after years of not playing. on as "lordsilent" on novago and KGS.
I could be anywhere between 18k and 13k at this point.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm returning after burning out for a few months, it was definitely way easier to get to 11k the second time. :P

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

And like Hels said, goproblems is.. ugh... you want quality problems, not crazy stuff like that.

In response to my complaining about goproblems.com and the terrible user-submitted content on it in ITGO, I was pointed to gogrinder, which I find to be leaps and bounds above goproblems or gochild. It's got a free java version for computer, and a waaaay slicker looking version for iphone and android that both cost $0.99. (I have not tried the iPhone version, as I am an android guy). It comes with some basic problems, and lets you add your own collections if you want. I would highly recommend it to anybody who is using goproblems or gochild and finding it not to their liking.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I found this interesting:

http://ranka.intergofed.org/?p=9381

quote:

Ranka: You are famous in the UK for your aggressive style, and we can see in your last game that you won by killing a large group. What is your go philosophy?

Andrew: My focus is reading – everything in go is just a substitute for it. I like to play simple fuseki and fight it out in the middle game. Since I was a beginner I have only played star points – I don’t remember a single serious game since I was 30k when I began with anything else… although of course I have a repertoire to deal with my opponents’ corners.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hey Detroit/RoboBlaster, I was thinking of doing a new thread and mentioning the Nova.gs room. Are you guys on frequently? If not, I was wondering if you could give me admin access so I can invite new people, I think it's better than trying to start a new room if it's dead... yours, oiseaux

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I tried to get on KGS but the client was being all lovely. What's up with that, is there some kind of fix I am missing?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Hey Detroit/RoboBlaster, I was thinking of doing a new thread and mentioning the Nova.gs room. Are you guys on frequently? If not, I was wondering if you could give me admin access so I can invite new people, I think it's better than trying to start a new room if it's dead... yours, oiseaux

I went to add you but you were already admin so I'll assume a ghost did it wuhooOOoooOOoo.

By the way do you have admin rights for ITGO cause there is nobody in there at all right now.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 5, 2013

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009
I've been playing go on and off since about 2004 now. Hopefully I'll stick with it a bit this time. I think I'm about 6-4kyu on KGS if anybody catches me in the room.

Despite playing for a fair amount of years I've done barely any study. Does anybody have tips for studying some joseki?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

YamiB. posted:

I've been playing go on and off since about 2004 now. Hopefully I'll stick with it a bit this time. I think I'm about 6-4kyu on KGS if anybody catches me in the room.

Despite playing for a fair amount of years I've done barely any study. Does anybody have tips for studying some joseki?

I'm not stronger than you but I have heard a lot of advice given and the general consensus is not to worry about Joseki yet. I think life and death and tesuji are the two things suggested.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

I went to add you but you were already admin so I'll assume a ghost did it wuhooOOoooOOoo.

By the way do you have admin rights for ITGO cause there is nobody in there at all right now.

Cheers man! I probably missed this as I was away all weekend, something still need doing? Send me a PM if so :D

YamiB. posted:

You're better off studying other areas, joseki isn't so important right now. Most people will say tsumego is the best way to study around that level

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
I was the one who added oiseaux. I thought I sent a PM through nova. Anyway, it's a pretty good server to play on that keeps getting better.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

RoboBlaster posted:

I was the one who added oiseaux. I thought I sent a PM through nova. Anyway, it's a pretty good server to play on that keeps getting better.

Does nova have iOS support?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

In the works, apparently. I've actually been able to play on my Nexus tablet through Chrome with a fair deal of ease, so technically you can play on iOS although I have no idea what the mobile experience is like, but it's fine for a 7" or greater tablet.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I don't see any of the nova admins on kgs, so if you're in the thread before I'm on KGS at the same time as one of you, please add me to the Nova.gs group!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Are goons still hanging out on nova.gs? I made an account as 'adius' if someone wants to add me to the group. Hardly ever see activity on ITGO lately.