Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

FreeKillB posted:

The robot thing is more subtle, but they definitely experience death in a different manner, and so have an alien cultural understanding of it. Translating any lesson directly to humanity kind of misses the point here.

So do Hetty, Renard, and Coyote. I honestly don't see the fuss here. Yeah, Renard is a killer. As it's expected from a Forest Spirit. Sorry, but Nature ain't innocent. He had been ever since he was introduced. Maybe he didn't knew at first that his power would kill, but he definitely does afterward. And he didn't care back then. Now, Renard is not the same as he was back then, considering he regret his past, selfish actions. However, that does not make him suddelndly a saint or a pacifist. He was just elevated from a straight up villain to a morally grey anti hero. And I really don't see why should Siddel refrains from showing a morally ambiguous character do evil poo poo once in a while. We know murder is bad, thank you very much, no need to turn the story in a PSA about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think it's still too early to call it murder per se. Not that that's not entirely possible, but we don't really know. Death isn't exactly straightforward in GC, after all. Forest fairies have to die to be reborn in the court, for vague reasons. We don't even know for certain that Rey would die without a body, all we have is Eglamore saying one time that without another body 'he must have died as well'. It's not as certain as saying he definitely would die, it sounds like he's just drawing a logical conclusion. There's enough wiggle room there that the story could go another direction. And Rendard's power is specifically one given by Coyote, which may be entirely different than whatever lets Hetty the shrimp monster possess a doll. Annie was able to disconnect her spirit from her body in the ether in the classroom full of crazy fairies, and she didn't instantly die. Who knows, though. Maybe Friday will just have Shrimpy saying 'augh you killed me' -chapter end symbol-.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also this is a world where innately evil (or good) beings can exist. Coyote is a jerk because it's in his very nature, he isn't "mentally ill". Sometimes a murdershrimp is just a murdershrimp.

quote:

I'm actually wondering if Hetty has the proper version of Reynard's power, where she won't leave him dead after a possession, and winds up framing him for something. That bottle on the title page has to mean something.

I think it might not be like Renard's power at all. Maybe it's something specific to etheric sea creatures like Lindsey or Bud, who can leave their bodies at will. Renard's "energy form" when he leaves his body trying to possess a new one doesn't look anything like shrimp hettie. (In that it looks like rey is made of energy while hetty just looks like a ghost prawn)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
In a completion of all those questions people keep asking Tom about what exactly Renard could posses, Hetty will end up possessing the eye of a needle stuck inside Renard's doll body.

Crazy doll spirits all the way down.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
In any case y'all might wanna get yourself away from that raging inferno, Renard :ohdear:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Renard painfully severs the connection between doll and demon-krill Hetty, and then says "there you go rear end in a top hat, now you don't have to make that kid's life miserable anymore".

Then ditches her for his real friends. :colbert:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Renard painfully severs the connection between doll and demon-krill Hetty, and then says "there you go rear end in a top hat, now you don't have to make that kid's life miserable anymore".

Then ditches her for his real friends. :colbert:

Gunnerkrigg Court after school specials are weird.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There can be only one.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

This entire chapter has been kinda weird to me so far. As it has been extremely straightforward despite how the dialogue has been written. In fact it's still kinda weird as Hetty continues their nigh complete ignoring of anything Renard says even in the middle of being attacked.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I wonder if Coyote will act any difference once Renard has destroyed his shrimp-form.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Blackheart posted:

This strengthens my belief that the body changes are only out of utility. Need some precision limbs to stomp and flick things? Dollmode activate! Need some chompin' pouncin' action? wolfmode activate! and that the whole "plaything of the body" stuff meant something different from "I have different personalities depending on my current form"

I thought that it was accepted he changes wolf forms based on however he feels or whatever he needs, and that the discussion about changing with body/bodies were referring to when he has a fox/human/Sivo/toy body?

E: I get the feeling I may have misunderstood what people were talking about when speaking of changing bodies. If it was purely about the changing wolf form then yeah, I'd agree that he changes based on utility or as a reflection of how he's feeling.

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 31, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

I thought that it was accepted he changes wolf forms based on however he feels or whatever he needs, and that the discussion about changing with body/bodies were referring to when he has a fox/human/Sivo/toy body?

E: I get the feeling I may have misunderstood what people were talking about when speaking of changing bodies. If it was purely about the changing wolf form then yeah, I'd agree that he changes based on utility or as a reflection of how he's feeling.

No, there are people that think even toy/wolf form changes the way he acts, which I disagree with. It's just a different perspective though, I don't think anyone is dumb or anything for believing that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Renard literally said "the mind is a plaything of the body". I don't remember when he says that, or if he (or anyone else) ever says it again. But to me it sounds similar to "love makes you do crazy things" in that it's one of Tom's themes or whatever that he's trying to get across. There's oodles and oodles of different situations where people are in different bodies or forms and that changes the way they act. Also haircuts, Kat and her haircuts. And Kat and the way she dresses. Of course clothes aren't a part of your body, but it's about what you look like. It's a major theme.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Renard literally said "the mind is a plaything of the body". I don't remember when he says that, or if he (or anyone else) ever says it again.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=413

The correct answer when you don't know when someone said something is to go archive diving. Just bring a backup air supply, you may get trapped down there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

BobTheJanitor posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=413

The correct answer when you don't know when someone said something is to go archive diving. Just bring a backup air supply, you may get trapped down there.

The problem with archive diving is that if it's beyond the first couple dozen pages, you just forget what you were looking for and suddenly it's a day later and you just read up to the most recent page, and you still have no idea what you were looking for or where it is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some day I am going to write a synopsis for each chapter detailing the major events so that I don't have to burn through hundreds of chapters looking for stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SHISHKABOB posted:

Some day I am going to write a synopsis for each chapter detailing the major events so that I don't have to burn through hundreds of chapters looking for stuff. reread the archives five or six times while wonder why I have a bunch of empty notepad documents lying around.

is what I think you meant to say.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rasamune posted:

In any case y'all might wanna get yourself away from that raging inferno, Renard :ohdear:
In a surprise twist that doesn't show through in the art, while in animal form Renard is still actually made out of highly flammable stuffing.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

In a surprise twist that doesn't show through in the art, while in animal form Renard is still actually made out of highly flammable stuffing.

I hate to start this, but since Surma made him for Annie there's some chance that she made sure the doll was somewhat fire resistant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Asbestos fiber -- what better plush material for your beloved daughter/soul-reincarnation?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I hate to start this, but since Surma made him for Annie there's some chance that she made sure the doll was somewhat fire resistant.

You know, I'd be surprised if he wasn't, to some degree. Even if it's just a side effect of having Annie's symbol.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blackheart posted:

No, there are people that think even toy/wolf form changes the way he acts, which I disagree with. It's just a different perspective though, I don't think anyone is dumb or anything for believing that.

I suspect it's a bit of both. It changes the way he acts in the same way that, say, if you woke up six foot four tall and covered in muscle, you'd probably act and react to the world differently to if the following day you woke up a four foot weakling, even though it was the same you. Not a direct force, but it leaves an impression, shifts his frame of mind.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 1, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Creepy burning smiling doll face.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Creepy burning smiling doll face.

I only see half of that face and yet it creeps me out beyond belief.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Reynard is stone cold. "OK, that's Hetty done with. Now what was I doing, oh yeah."

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat, Renard's all pro ice all of a sudden.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Boy, that was something. Kind of a tonal change for the series, in my opinion. We've never had a developed character meet a gruesome end like that, unless you count Jeanne's elf boyfriend as a developed character. Plus it was at the paws of someone we're familiar with and like.

Also, finally we find out about who owns the house. Still betting on Brinnie.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Rest in peace, Hetty. You were too evil for this world.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Bad to the bone :staredog:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Gosh, it's almost like everyone who had known Reynardine since before Annie even came to the court and had been calling him far more dangerous than appearances suggested knew what they were talking about.

I mean, seriously, he knew exactly what to do. Expose the 'spirit', sever the connection. Zero hesitation.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
:byewhore:

Anyways, Rey Rey, back to what you were doing before you were so rudely interrupted by the evil marionette thing.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I tried to make a gif but it came out less angry head-shaking and more happy tail-wagging. I guess soul-shrimp tastes pretty good.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, it looks like we're going to find out whose house that is come monday.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The house of Reynard's agent, "Yeh boss, I took care of 'er, now where's me money!"

Reynard has found himself a new job as a to-hire spirit-assassin, the rest of the comic will be Reynard hunting down evil spirits in a gritty, film-noir style.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I've been assuming it's someone connected to the man Reynard possessed and killed, likely a family member. Reynard has been going to that door repeatedly in an attempt to be forgiven, and has been rebuffed each time by the closed door. I think we're about to see the first time the door has been opened to Rey.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh what a cute dog! Pet pet pet... aaaaa it's full of glass fibres, how could you?!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Okay, Renard does not gently caress around :stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Madrox posted:

I've been assuming it's someone connected to the man Reynard possessed and killed, likely a family member. Reynard has been going to that door repeatedly in an attempt to be forgiven, and has been rebuffed each time by the closed door. I think we're about to see the first time the door has been opened to Rey.

He needed to finish the "atonement" quest ("slay at least one evil spirit") in order to unlock the area. Conveniently, one quest target was materialized in the vicinity upon receiving the quest.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Goodbye to you too, Tommie.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
What's that in the fire in the third panel? At first glance it looks like the outline of a wolf, but then it looks more like a boulder with a hole in it.