Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

This thread shows me I have a lot of opportunity for improvement. That, or I need to stop being stubborn and not use my FF camera for insect macro shots.

This white spider has been hanging out on my echinacea for at least a week. It usually perches on the cone with its legs outstretched; I assume it waits for small pollinators to land and get caught in the webbing it strung through the cone structure?

DSC02066 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

The spider poses nicely when I'm by myself, but gets spooked by my camera. Here it is, hiding.

DSC02073 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

While I was waiting for the spider to come out and play, a bumblebee stopped by.

DSC02077 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Crab spiders (Thomisidae) don't use webs to hunt; they prefer the manly art of camouflaged ambush. A swift venom injection and even big game like that bumblebee would turn into internal soup.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ooh, very nice shot. I'm going to try for something like this with my NEX-6 - hopefully, the smaller size will do less to spook it.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

These have really nice natural looking lighting, what was your setup like?

I went for a nice walk today, and saw some... oh my. :pervert:

Oh My by Icybacon, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

New thread title should be something about bugs loving.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Alpenglow posted:

These have really nice natural looking lighting, what was your setup like?
Natural lighting, and nothing else. You know how it's always so rainy in Seattle? The cloud cover makes the light nice and even.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I've realized that cold, cloudy and rainy days are actually better for bug hunting than warm and sunny days. Although there are more critters running and flying around on warm days they are much more active and hardly stand still.

IMG_7304 by ruut103, on Flickr

When I bought macro lens I was really worried about working distance, that 5, 10 or even 15 cm seemed like a really small number. By now I've also realized that if something is going to let you close at all, most of the time you can get as close as you want.

IMG_7563 by ruut103, on Flickr

Butterflies are just jerks though.

IMG_7628 by ruut103, on Flickr

IMG_7484 by ruut103, on Flickr

Well ok, last one is not really 1:1 but still closeup :colbert:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The crab spider was more cooperative today. This was at 1:1.2 and about the best I can do without rails and/or extension tubes. I tried cropping it, but due to the angle and surrounding flower parts, it just looked odd. I'm surprised at the level of detail the full-sized shot captures - individual hairs and what I'll just assume is blood dripping from its mouthparts.

DSC02112 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

drat thing kept flexing its jaws as I shot it, as though it was imagining killing me in my sleep. :(

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The up side to the overcast weather we've been having here is that insects and amphibians tend to sit still while you shove a camera in their face.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Moon Potato posted:

The up side to the overcast weather we've been having here is that insects and amphibians tend to sit still while you shove a camera in their face.

These are both purty. What did you use?

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Taken with a little Olympus TG-1, I'm really happy with the macro settings for diving seeing as it's a nice easy camera to carry. It even has a little LCD for 'Super-Macro' mode.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Here is an ugly little fucker I saw when I was walking around shooting this morning:

banana spider by Ryan-Tamm, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

These are both purty. What did you use?

Thanks. Those were taken with a Tokina 90mm f/2.5 macro on a Nikon D90, handheld. I've been absolutely thrilled with the lens, but I'm really pushing the ISO limits on the D90 when shooting in the undergrowth.

Some more insect shots:

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 3, 2013

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Fuzzy :3:

IMG_7854 by ruut103, on Flickr

IMG_8514 by ruut103, on Flickr

Not so fuzzy but still :3:

IMG_8114 by ruut103, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Crane Fly

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Carolina mantis

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Still learning the post-processing...process when it comes to film.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Midnight critterquesting.

This was the biggest wolf (grass?) spider I've seen in a while. Body was over an inch long I'd say.

P8180717.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This guy was getting all sorts of food, since there were a bunch of bugs getting attracted by my light. :3:

P8180638.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And this guy was just trying to sleep (about 5 inches below the web of the guy in the pic above).

P8180662.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I am feeling a strong urge to sell my 60mm macro when it shows back up and just going back to using my 35/3.5 on tubes or getting a tamron 90mm instead.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I have a Canon T2i and am wanting to take studio, stacked shots of dead insect subjects, for the purposes of documentation and identification of beetles that will range from .1 mm to 30-40 mm. Shots of the whole body, then close ups of different aspects down to .1 mm would be ideal. I'd like to be able to approximate the resolution and quality of the photographs in this post: http://chrisraper.org.uk/blog/?p=5493

The guy on the blog says he's using a reversed Nikkor EL 50mm f2.8 on "cheap bellows", a Yongnou YN560 flash, a styrofoam cup, black paper "hood", and a manual focus rail. My question is, is this the cheapest I can get away with? The Nikkor enlarging lens and Yongnou flash seem reasonable when I look them up individually, but I don't know what reversing adapter, bellows, rail, hotfoot to flash attachment, and remote shutter release I would want to get. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, of course, but don't want to gently caress myself by buying something that doesn't fit, or end up with really lovely shots because of some technical aspect of a component that I didn't think of or wasn't aware of.

Is this sort of set up flexible enough to take shots of .1 mm parts of beetle's mouths and then, with minimal equipment switch-out, take shots of 40 mm whole beetles? Is it wishful thinking that I can get this sort of range with a bellows and reversed enlarging ring set up? Would I have to end up buying a microscope objective and adapter for the really tight shots?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

.1mm to 40mm is a crazy, crazy range. How much of the frame do you want to fill when shooting those .1mm parts?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

That sounds like about the cheapest setup to me as well. You can probably get away with other lenses if you really wanted, but all the supporting stuff is going to make life much, much easier for you.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This cicada literally flew into my lap yesterday evening, so I rewarded him by tossing him in the freezer for a few minutes and got a few quick photos out of him. After 15 minutes of shooting, he woke back up and started screaming bloody murder.

DSC_5798.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_5787.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

I really need to get a cheap/decent macro rail so I can try some focus stacking.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

The guy on the blog says he's using a reversed Nikkor EL 50mm f2.8 on "cheap bellows", a Yongnou YN560 flash, a styrofoam cup, black paper "hood", and a manual focus rail. My question is, is this the cheapest I can get away with? The Nikkor enlarging lens and Yongnou flash seem reasonable when I look them up individually, but I don't know what reversing adapter, bellows, rail, hotfoot to flash attachment, and remote shutter release I would want to get. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, of course, but don't want to gently caress myself by buying something that doesn't fit, or end up with really lovely shots because of some technical aspect of a component that I didn't think of or wasn't aware of.

This is a pretty flexible setup, but you'll probably need to look into something better than a cheap bellows for stacking at the upper end of your magnification range. Even with a motorized rail, probably be best magnification you can really hope for is about 20x, so an object-size frame size of about 1.2 x 0.8mm. I haven't had any luck at that size, though, because the scale of even small movements is huge, and diffraction destroys detail at those scales unless you use some fairly good microscope objectives.

I use a Nikon PB-6 bellows with various enlarger lenses and microscope objectives on a stackshot motorized rail (http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php) with a couple of YN-560's. I can't overstate how much of a boon the stackshot rail is for this sort of work.

You can find PB-6's in good condition for ~$300 on ebay, and it's an investment you won't regret. You can use the bellows movements for low-magnification (0.5x - 1.5x) stacking if you have good technique (I don't). Some Pentax M42 bellows would probably suit as well (with suitable mount adaptors), and they seem to share many design elements with the PB-6. More recently, I have been using $6 M42 extension tubes instead, because they are less bulky and super solid. I have 4 sets, for greatest flexibility.

I have wasted money on those cheap bellows units, and they are uselessly flimsy - stability will be something you NEED at high magnification.

For lenses I use:
  • EL-Nikkor 50mm f2.8 (reversed on bellows - ~$40)
  • Hoya EL Super 40mm f3.5 (reversed on bellows ~$25)
  • Nikon CFI BE 10x/0.25 microscope objective (adapted onto a non-name T2 135mm f/3.5 prime - $99 + $20).
  • LOMO 9x/0.2 finite microscope objective (on bellows - ~$40).
  • I also have a LOMO 3.7x/0.11 finite objective on its way to me - I'll post some samples when I get it ($35).

These give me a wide magnification range, although at greater than 2x you are probably going to get better results from a regular macro lens. Also, don't waste you money on generic Chinese microscope objectives - they are all rubbish, and you can get old LOMO objectives for the same price.

The boffins at http://photomacrography.net/forum have a wealth of information on setups (for every budget), lens choice and lighting technique. Take a look - you will probably have all of your questions answered in short order if you have a click around for an hour or so. A number of the forum regulars are award-winning micrographers, and they're always eager to help by answering [well-composed] questions.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

Snail by Simon Thelwell

Coming from a reversed lens it doesn't feel close enough, already looking into extension tubes or bellows. Luckily it's M42 and there seems to be plenty knocking around.

SimonomiS fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 25, 2013

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Too busy to care about someone sneaking up on them:

IMG_1998 by ruut103, on Flickr

IMG_2045 by ruut103, on Flickr

IMG_2047 by ruut103, on Flickr

Last 2 should be about 2X.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

I'm looking for some advice if possible. I recently got a Canon Powershot s100. I took some photos of bugs, and that was pretty fun. Some examples:

Obviously they're not as Awesome Macro as many in the thread, but now I want to buy something that will get me closer to that. I'm not a photography guy and never owned a DSLR camera so tell me if this sounds daft, but would a cheap-ish used Canon off ebay, like a 550D or 50D combined with either the (again, used) Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 or the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 AF Di 1:1 Macro lens be worth getting? Or is there a better option?

At the moment I wouldn't be planning on photographing anything else, really.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Not A Vet Yet posted:

I'm not a photography guy and never owned a DSLR camera so tell me if this sounds daft, but would a cheap-ish used Canon off ebay, like a 550D or 50D combined with either the (again, used) Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 or the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 AF Di 1:1 Macro lens be worth getting? Or is there a better option?

At the moment I wouldn't be planning on photographing anything else, really.
Not used one myself but I've seen Tamron 90mm recommended quite often.

Later on, when 1:1 doesn't seem to be enough any more, you can add a set of tubes. And flash, doesn't need to be something fancy.

Then you start looking at MP-E 65mm and macro twin flash and hmm, maybe the price on those isn't that bad after all...

Also, you can do it cheaper (and more DIY) by using reversed lens. Dedicated macro lens is more convenient though.

Here's bee through Canon 100mm + some tubes:

IMG_2171 by ruut103, on Flickr

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have the Sigma 105mm that you mentioned. Great lens for macro, okay for other stuff if you don't use auto focus (it's a little slow).

There's also a Raynox filter you could use on a long lens-quality is not as good as a dedicated lens+tubes though. Bought one, barely used it. A few people in the thread have used them I think.

One thing to keep in mind: no matter what lens you get, you will be manually focusing. Go with a 3 set of extension rings with no auto focus/electrical contacts. It will be cheaper probably.

Focus is something you'll learn, millimetres matter so occasionally you need to move forward or back slightly. You could get a cheap focus rail to help with this but your insects are probably of the moving variety so it'd slow you down unless you practised a bit.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

the_lion posted:

Go with a 3 set of extension rings with no auto focus/electrical contacts. It will be cheaper probably.

Yeah, you don't wanna do that. Not A Vet Yet is just starting up, a low-end DSLR like the 550D and a manual set of tubes would just be cruel. For a frustration-free (kind of) newbie experience a big and bright viewfinder is a must; cameras like the 550D are out and so are tubes that require you to manually set the aperture.

Also desirable: not getting too close to the subject; while you still don't have a firm grasp on the critters' behavior you better stay away from them. That means a dedicated macro lens around 100mm. Longer would be nice but you'd have severe camera shake to deal with.
The Tamron 90/2.8 is the most popular choice among +/- 100m lenses, but it has a pretty short working distance. Still better than close-up lenses or tubes, though.

I'm not talking about best quality or best magnification or best bang for the buck here, I'm talking about making the first steps into macro as painless as possible, which I think is more important; doesn't matter if you bought all your gear for 15 bucks or if your microscope duct-taped to a camera can go up to 20:1 if you don't actually enjoy going out and shooting critters. Now, if you're on a tight budget but still want to give this a shot then sure, go with an inverted 50 with some tubes and a close-up on top, it should be good for character building if nothing else. Otherwise, get the nicer toys.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Thank you all for taking the time to write the advice! In not very long I hope to be putting up some awesome macro photos.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

the_lion posted:

There's also a Raynox filter you could use on a long lens-quality is not as good as a dedicated lens+tubes though. Bought one, barely used it. A few people in the thread have used them I think.

Yeah I use one of these a lot, to the point a large majority of all my macro is with one. The DCR-250 in particular. I usually pair it with an old Nikkor 55mm micro lens on a 2x TC. This is my latest shot with it:

I've had pretty good luck with it though honestly it shines the most on point and shoot sensors since they're so small it's easier to get great DOF. I used to use it on a 55-250 lens but found it works best on longer primes. You have to get pretty close to things with it too, which can be kind of intimidating depending on the subject. I've had a wasp sting the glass element a few times, though thankfully not me (yet)..

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Spring is here :)

Spring!! by Raikyn, on Flickr

Butterfly by Raikyn, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 7, 2013

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Fall is here :(

IMG_9365 by bighoits, on Flickr

IMG_9418 by bighoits, on Flickr

wanghammer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 9, 2013

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I really like the colors on that ladybug, kind of looks like a fall wreath.

We just moved next to a forest! All sorts of moths are showing up just out of reach in the evenings, and there are tons of jumping spiders and interesting fungus right now.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Alpenglow posted:

We just moved next to a forest! All sorts of moths are showing up just out of reach in the evenings,

Just turn off all the lights except one down low and they will happily come to you. My problem is when I am out at night I have normally been drinking which doesn't help me take good pictures.

Polyphemus Moth by atticus_1354, on Flickr

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009
Whats up, Bigass Polyphemus Moth bro

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Anyone have any experience with the Tamron 60mm f/2? Sub $300 on KEH and was thinking of it as a good intro to macro lenses, potentially being able to double as a portrait lens. Am I far off on that?

Had a lot of fun with extension tubes on my 50 1.8, but figured that would be even better.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Never used it, but it looks good. Internal focus is nice and the 10cm working distance is very surprising considering its focal length.
For general use, the lack of focus limiter could be annoying, especially since the AF isn't ultrasonic. If that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Bob Mundon posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Tamron 60mm f/2? Sub $300 on KEH and was thinking of it as a good intro to macro lenses, potentially being able to double as a portrait lens. Am I far off on that?

Had a lot of fun with extension tubes on my 50 1.8, but figured that would be even better.

I have it, and optically it's great, with a working distance only slightly shorter than the 90mm.

BUT the AF is terribly slow (on my Nikon), so bear that in mind for non-macro stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Other than Macro it would strictly be a portrait lens, so even going manual focus all the time isn't really a concern.

If you were to combine it with extension tubes, what kind of stuff could you do?