Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Phy posted:

Come clean dude, this is really an episode of Wonderella, right? Hola?
Hola was a Wonder Woman thing for a long goddamn time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did you guys know the Amazons have a space program?

Wonder Woman #210

Man, the crocodile hunter sure coulda used a spray of that hydronitigin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gallery of Deadpool humor.
http://imgur.com/gallery/WW1C1

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CapnAndy posted:

Hola was a Wonder Woman thing for a long goddamn time.

When's the last time she's said that? Latest I can think of was the third issue of JLA: Classified by Morrison. That "HOLA!" really stands out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Final Crisis.

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!

That's not how Eddie Izzard's "Cake or Death" is supposed to work out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yes!

(I'm a sucker for "Iron Man is a drunk" jokes.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

Yes!

(I'm a sucker for "Iron Man is a drunk" jokes.)

Well that entire issue was one huge "Iron Man is a drunk" joke. It was awesome.

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.

Whose arm is that to the right of Doom in number 8?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghost Who Walks posted:

Whose arm is that to the right of Doom in number 8?

He goes by the Superior Spider-man nowadays.

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
Now you say it, it seems obvious.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tom Breevort, Matt Fraction and Mike Allred guest starred in their own book this week.

FF#10

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Context is for the weak (via Alpha Flight 114)!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope Piccolo learned his lesson :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ein Bear posted:

I've always loved that original, Kirby idea of him just having this really tiny, barely noticable scar. It fits the character so well. Never liked the semi-retcon of him burning his face when he first put on the mask.

That's not Kirby's original idea. He didn't start talking about that until the 1970's. In the 60's stories which Kirby drew and was involved in plotting, Doom's face is definitely hideously scarred.

Here's an example of that, demonstrating Dr. Don Blake's excellent bedside manner:

(Thor 182)

muscles like this? posted:

Classic Wonder Woman's catchphrase was "Hola." I'm more laughing at how their head scientist is just called Paula.

IIRC, she was a villain in the 1940's that Wonder Woman reformed with spanking and bondage.

I'm not joking about that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 2, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Source is Boy King, issue unknown

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why are so many dinosaurs Nazis?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

I don't know, but I can tell you they make the best Nazis.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Say Nothing posted:

When Dinosaur Germany lost the First Dinosaur World War things got pretty distressing economically, they just latched onto the hyper-nationalist rhetoric coming from Hitlersaurus Rex.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know, but I can tell you they make the best Nazis.

Indeed they do

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

GorfZaplen posted:

Source is Boy King, issue unknown

"We must destroy Boy King!"
"We must bring death to democracy!"

Uh......

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zeeman posted:

"We must destroy Boy King!"
"We must bring death to democracy!"

Uh......

It's not like hating monarchy and democracy equally is terribly novel in political thought, I guess?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Killer robot posted:

It's not like hating monarchy and democracy equally is terribly novel in political thought, I guess?

Clearly it implies the King is elected. It's like people electing a Dictator. I bet Dr. Doom has polls open and everyone votes for him to retain office with 110% reporting and they just leave him to decide everything for the country.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

That's not Kirby's original idea. He didn't start talking about that until the 1970's. In the 60's stories which Kirby drew and was involved in plotting, Doom's face is definitely hideously scarred.

Here's an example of that, demonstrating Dr. Don Blake's excellent bedside manner:

(Thor 182)

If I was an STD doctor I'd yell this every time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gatts posted:

Clearly it implies the King is elected. It's like people electing a Dictator. I bet Dr. Doom has polls open and everyone votes for him to retain office with 110% reporting and they just leave him to decide everything for the country.
This was weird enough that I was inspired to look up Boy King's origins...

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Boy_King_%26_Giant

David was the young King of Swisslakia, a Central European kingdom somewhere in the Alps (the map in Clue Comics #1 puts it about where Switzerland should be). When the Nazi forces attacked his kingdom, he unearthed and activated a Golem-like statue that was supposedly built by Nostradamus. Now you would think that he would use it to beat back the Nazis and assert his nation's sovereignty but, David had different ideas. He left Swisslakia with its entire population in tow and used the Giant to transport them to United States. Once there, he abdicated his throne and allowed his citizens to become citizens of United States. The fact that he effectively dissolved Swisslakia as a nation didn't seem to occur to the young ruler.
Even as an ordinary American citizen, David continued to wear his royal outfit (complete with a crown and ceremonial short sword). He used the Giant to defend his new homeland against Nazi agents and criminals. His enemies included the likes of Dr. Plasma, Paris, Hitler's Rex, and the Crane.

Uh. :psyduck:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Random Stranger posted:

(Thor 182)

IIRC, she was a villain in the 1940's that Wonder Woman reformed with spanking and bondage.

I'm not joking about that.

That's Thor 182 with John Buscema as artist. By the time it came out Kirby had left Marvel. I'm one of those that like the small scar idea. It shows the size and imbalance of Doom's ego, the absolute lack of a hint of humility.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

That's Thor 182 (Nov 1970)
"The Prisoner-The Power-And- Dr. Doom!"
Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: John Buscema
Inker: Joe Sinnott

I don't know if Kirby would have done this scene the same as Buscema or if he would have argued with Stan. By the time it came out He had left Marvel.

Well, how about this?

Fantastic Four #10. Jack Kirby drawing Jack Kirby reacting in horror to Dr. Doom's face. It's hard to get more definitive.

(Those are the two silver age "Doom takes off his mask and people are horrified" scenes that come to mind immediately, the first one is just more amusing than that one. All of the other ones I know are Doom reacting to his face alone and while there are hints that it's really hideous rather than a scar the lack of any outside perspective doesn't help.)

Gatts posted:

Doom doesn't even have to cheat. Would you vote against Doom?

That gives me a wonderful idea if Marvel is ever stupid enough to hire me to write the Fantastic Four. Doom owns that castle in upstate New York. He might be eligible to run for governor or senator from that state.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 2, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

That gives me a wonderful idea if Marvel is ever stupid enough to hire me to write the Fantastic Four. Doom owns that castle in upstate New York. He might be eligible to run for governor or senator from that state.

But he would be smart enough to not send dick pics to Richards and other random people?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 2, 2013

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

bobkatt013 posted:

But would be smart enough to not send dick pics to Richards and other random people?

"There's NOTHING medical science can do! NOTHING!!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And that's why Doom shot the Baxter Building into space.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

And that's why Doom shot the Baxter Building into space.

No that was Carlos Perdición

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

If I was Laverian, I would vote for Doom in a second, no coercion needed. He may be a magalomaniacal evil superpower, but he's a megalomaniacal evil superpower on my side.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jonny Nox posted:

If I was Laverian, I would vote for Doom in a second, no coercion needed. He may be a magalomaniacal evil superpower, but he's a megalomaniacal evil superpower on my side.

This was addressed in the Waid run, the Authoritative Action arc. Most Latverians like Doom. He has all of their necessities taken care of - food, utilities, health care, etc. They are safe from all the civil wars and hostile neighbors without even needing a military because no one will mess with Doom. Reed compares the Doom-Latverian relationship to a human-pets one. Its basically utopian totalitarianism, a pocket kingdom where Doom runs everything and disappears and executes those who don't go along with it, but every need is met and the people like it.

It is an interesting concept that in a different medium would be very interesting to explore.

By the way, Reed conquers it, destroys the infrastructure that keeps it all going (since it was Doom's power base), and hands it over to SHIELD for running. A possibly inadvertent allegory to how the US handled a lot of governments in the Cold War. Again, interesting concept that in a different medium would be very interesting to explore.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, in retrospect I'm not sure about the system of government I've just endorsed.

But in COMIC LAND, I'm all about the Doctor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archer and Armstrong #11

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The "Doom had a minor scar" thing is perfectly compatible with those pages. The idea is that the lab accident back at the university gave him a fairly minor scar, which he blew completely out of proportion. His later, greater disfigurement was due to the armor.

The definitive version of this idea is from "Triumph and Torment" (I think) but I know it predates that. (Crops of pages four and six.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

The "Doom had a minor scar" thing is perfectly compatible with those pages. The idea is that the lab accident back at the university gave him a fairly minor scar, which he blew completely out of proportion. His later, greater disfigurement was due to the armor.

The definitive version of this idea is from "Triumph and Torment" (I think) but I know it predates that. (Crops of pages four and six.)

That page is actually quoting Fantastic Four Annual #2 which Byrne used as his way of bringing Kirby's revised vision of Dr. Doom's scar into continuity. That wasn't the statement I was refuting though. A lot of comic fans think that Kirby's concept of Dr. Doom's face that he started talking about and drawing in conventions during the 70's was the "original" version (to quote Ein Bear) and that simply isn't true.

Personally, I like the idea that it's a tiny scar and if someone wanted to tell their Dr. Doom stories using that version of events it would be no skin off my nose.

But explaining the development of character concepts and how they shifted over decades isn't a funny panel...

(Jimmy Olsen #66)

Uh... that wasn't tobacco, Jimmy.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Wonder Woman #142.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heresiarch posted:

Fraction retconned those monks into being different versions of Doom from across the multiverse. It was actually pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Fraction retconned those monks into being different versions of Doom from across the multiverse. It was actually pretty awesome.

When did he do this?

• Locked thread