Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is it worse than the Jagged Alliance DSiWare trailer that's really obviously just a dude filming his DS with his phone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijI-E6Hy3yg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is it worse than the Jagged Alliance DSiWare trailer that's really obviously just a dude filming his DS with his phone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijI-E6Hy3yg

"award winning Jagged Alliance franchise"

what awards did this get?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyq8FlgJmM

No, I'm still pretty sure Goony had the worst trailer.

Aolsux
Jun 18, 2003
I'm debating on grabbing the $199 basic model going on sale tomorrow. Please re-assure me that NSMBU/MH3/Pikmin 3/Earthbound is worth the cost. I was going to get a ps4/xbone, but this is more affordable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pixeltendo posted:

"award winning Jagged Alliance franchise"

what awards did this get?

"Best Jagged Alliance game"

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Aolsux posted:

I'm debating on grabbing the $199 basic model going on sale tomorrow. Please re-assure me that NSMBU/MH3/Pikmin 3/Earthbound is worth the cost. I was going to get a ps4/xbone, but this is more affordable.

Get the deluxe.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Harvest Moon? Yes please! I really don't want to pay $13 for another SNES game though.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

SyRauk posted:

Get the deluxe.

Why? Isn't that one not on sale? It's not worth the 150$ price hike.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Aolsux posted:

Save up and get the PS4.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Aolsux posted:

Don't get it. Save your money and get the PS4.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Aolsux posted:

Earthbound is worth the price.

Not sure on MH3 or Pikmin 3.

NSMBU only if you liked the other games.

Don't listen to the grumps. It's worth it for $200. Just be sure to buy a hard drive for it that you can plug in. The externals don't work very well if they don't have their own power source, even with a Y cable.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

numbs posted:

Don't get it. Save your money and get the PS4.

It won't have Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Aolsux posted:

Get nintendo consoles only if you want to play nintendo games, otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment when none of the good multiplatform games come out on it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Aolsux posted:

I'll be one of the few to re-assure you, since I love my Wii U. I've got hours upon hours of entertainment from Nintendo Land and NSMBU (and the Luigi DLC), Pikmin 3 looks amazing, and by the end of the year we'll have Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, and Donkey Kong.

$199 basic is a good price and while there's probably a universal price drop in the next few months I sincerely doubt you'll get a much better deal than that.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I don't regret buying my Wii U mostly due to Nintendo Land. It's been a huge hit at dinner parties and I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't totally fallen in love with Sweet Day. On the "core" side of things I put over a hundred hours into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate online and I really enjoyed the majority of it. Some of the drops get a bit ridiculous eventually, but it's a great game, especially if you have some friends with 3DSs who can play locally with you. NSMBU is a blast, but it, too, is really meant to be played with other people.

So basically, I think the Wii U is worth it right now if you have people to play with, especially at two hundred bucks - a hard drive and a copy of Nintendo Land on sale will easily run you less than the price difference from the Pro version. If you're mostly looking for single player stuff, though, I'd ask how you feel about Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Pikmin 3. If you're not interested in those or the multiplayer stuff you may want to reconsider for now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And why, pray tell, aren't either of you mentioning Lego City Undercover? :crossarms:. It's an amazingly fun and silly open-world game.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

It won't have Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2, though.

Nintendo always had the best exclusives; Platinum is just a really nice bonus. Only thing that swayed me into thinking about getting a PS4 was rumors about Demon's Souls 2, which thankfully ended up being false.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And why, pray tell, aren't either of you mentioning Lego City Undercover? :crossarms:. It's an amazingly fun and silly open-world game.

I never played it. :shrug:

I never played Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, or Pikmin 3 either, of course, but I don't really know much about Lego City's developer's pedigree or really much about the game at all.

Edit: Okay, geez, clearly I have some catching up to do. :v:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nickoten posted:

I never played it. :shrug:

Clearly you are a big jerk! Go fix that by playing Lego City!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Recommended games are tagged with this in the second post

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Woah, buddy, I don't see a seal of approval on Monster Hunter!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Nickoten posted:

Woah, buddy, I don't see a seal of approval on Monster Hunter!

Yeah I know I was just fixing that now.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Wii U Virtual Console is getting Breath of Fire 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm5ZAkJTlM

I am all over this poo poo!

On another note, can you make a folder on the home screen? I want to dump my VC games in it so all the "channels" are not so cluttered.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not yet. I always leave that in my comments on Club Nintendo. I have like five pages taken up, it's ridiculous.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Do we know what the likelihood of Nintendo releasing Wii games on the store is? Turns out I lost my physical copy of Xenoblades Chronicles and my backup seems to not want to work, so I wouldn't mind picking it up without paying the £50 people on Amazon are asking for. They're releasing new games on it, so it's not exactly a stretch, but then again it's Nintendo so they're not exactly easy to figure out.

Plus there's a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't mind grabbing, but that's up there at least until the new X-game is out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Balobam posted:

Do we know what the likelihood of Nintendo releasing Wii games on the store is? Turns out I lost my physical copy of Xenoblades Chronicles and my backup seems to not want to work, so I wouldn't mind picking it up without paying the £50 people on Amazon are asking for. They're releasing new games on it, so it's not exactly a stretch, but then again it's Nintendo so they're not exactly easy to figure out.

Plus there's a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't mind grabbing, but that's up there at least until the new X-game is out.

It's really anyone's guess but I wouldn't count on it, especially xenoblade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Balobam posted:

It's technically do-able (the Homebrew channel proved that years ago), and all they'd really have to do is make it possible for the internal Wii OS to access the internal hard drive, or an external one, and sell the games through the WiiShop Channel rather than the eShop. Whether they'll actually do it is a whole other story. Given they've said nothing about it, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Not yet. I always leave that in my comments on Club Nintendo. I have like five pages taken up, it's ridiculous.

Do you buy every virtual console game?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you personally don't buy Earthbound then we will never get Mother 3 or 4 and it will be YOUR FAULT. Like when you didn't buy Shenmue 1 or 2.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heran Bago posted:

If you personally don't buy Earthbound then we will never get Mother 3 or 4 and it will be YOUR FAULT. Like when you didn't buy Shenmue 1 or 2.

The answer is have Shenmue 3 and Mother 4 be the same game and serve as a dual sequel for both franchises. Sort of like castle Shikigami 3, King of Fighters, or Kingdom hearts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heran Bago posted:

Hey, I bought both Shenmues!

...Two years ago

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Didn't Itoi say that the Mother series ends with 3? That said, I wouldn't mind him doing the writing for another unrelated game. How was that bass fishing game, anyway? The one with Shigesato Itoi's name on it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Level Slide posted:

Didn't Itoi say that the Mother series ends with 3? That said, I wouldn't mind him doing the writing for another unrelated game. How was that bass fishing game, anyway? The one with Shigesato Itoi's name on it.

Full of whimsy no doubt.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A lot of 3rd party Wii U games have been dropping prices, including Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which you can get for only $20 at Gamestop or on Amazon. I'm by no means a guy who likes traditional competitive fighting games, but is $20 worth it for just the single player/local multiplayer experience with the Wii U exclusive content? More specifically, is playing as a grizzly bear dressed up as Mario worth my time if I'm probably never going to bother to actually learn how to play the game well enough to not get bodied online?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Tekken Ball is worth the price of admission alone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 owns, buy it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Constable Lemon posted:

A lot of 3rd party Wii U games have been dropping prices, including Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which you can get for only $20 at Gamestop or on Amazon. I'm by no means a guy who likes traditional competitive fighting games, but is $20 worth it for just the single player/local multiplayer experience with the Wii U exclusive content? More specifically, is playing as a grizzly bear dressed up as Mario worth my time if I'm probably never going to bother to actually learn how to play the game well enough to not get bodied online?

Do you have a friend to play with that also does not play online or in tournaments?

There are Mother 4 rumors, but they're just that.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Level Slide posted:

Well there's a Miiverse board just for Earthbound announcements at the moment, so there's half-decent odds that there'll be something Earthbound-related coming in the near future.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TT2 gives you a really full, detailed tutorial on the mechanics in a really fun training mode. But putting it all together takes a lot of memorization, and even once you have all the mechanics down every character has completely different moves, meaning every character has different ways to access those mechanics.

It's like the starcraft of fighting games except if you try to just dick around you'll have your rear end handed to you by anything that isn't the Very Easy AI. It's a really great game but it takes a lot of time to learn that most people wouldn't bother with.

However, there are those mario/zelda/f-zero/starfox costumes which are amazing, and there is a Snoop Dogg stage made of gold with pimpmobiles suspended by 10 foot high hydraulics jumping around the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
According to Bloomberg, Sega Sammy is the top company out of 20 interested in purchasing Atlus. Thought the Atlus fans here would be interested. If Nintendo was involved they would have been named at the top. Sega would still be a friendly company to Nintendo if they purchased the company.

• Locked thread