Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah vaccination before last our fat baby had a sore leg for a couple days. The most recent time wasn't a problem, but she only got the rabies vac, not the other one they normally give em. I would definitely call your regular vet and see what they say, especially if she's not eating, but most likely it'll get better on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Where can you get nice cheap litter box tops in Canada? I guess the dollar store wouldn't have them. Henry does not understand the correct procedure to burying poop and throws litter all over the place. There needs to be a :catdowns: emoticon.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Where can you get nice cheap litter box tops in Canada? I guess the dollar store wouldn't have them. Henry does not understand the correct procedure to burying poop and throws litter all over the place. There needs to be a :catdowns: emoticon.

No idea on the litter box top, but have you thought about just getting a big litter trap mat? I have one under my girls box cause she does the same, and it traps the litter pretty well until I can hand vacuum it up. I guess that might be a bit more pricey than you are looking for though, mine was like 15 or 20 on amazon. :catstare:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 31, 2013

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I had the same issue (plus a tendency to stand inside the litter box with the butt hanging over so poop when on the floor), so I swapped out the litter box with a 10 gallon tub like this so the sides were too high for litter to be kicked out:

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
Okay,

I went to the vet, and she was running a fever. The vet gave her another shot, with fever meds or something, for free, and said if she's not better in 24 hours, bring her back. She's hiding under my bed right now, still not eating. I'm thinking about getting her some wet food, and seeing if she'll eat some of that. Any particular suggestions? She seems like she's in a lot of pain, not just on her leg. She bristles if you touch her at all.

Still freaking out. :ohdear:

Update: I went to Petsmart and bough Royal Canin instinctive because according to the can, cats instinctively love it! Marketing! But, it worked amazingly. She gobbled up half a can right away, and she'd drank some water while I was gone. Yes, I measured the water before and after I left. What of it? :colbert:

Anyway, I'm hoping she'll be okay now. This is the first cat I've ever owned, and the first pet I've had since my childhood dog, and a betta fish, so I'm nervous. She's so tiny. Vet says she's full grown and she only weighs 7lbs. I'm just afraid she'll drop dead at any moment.

ferndavant fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 31, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

ferndavant posted:

Okay,

I went to the vet, and she was running a fever. The vet gave her another shot, with fever meds or something, for free, and said if she's not better in 24 hours, bring her back. She's hiding under my bed right now, still not eating. I'm thinking about getting her some wet food, and seeing if she'll eat some of that. Any particular suggestions? She seems like she's in a lot of pain, not just on her leg. She bristles if you touch her at all.

Still freaking out. :ohdear:

Update: I went to Petsmart and bough Royal Canin instinctive because according to the can, cats instinctively love it! Marketing! But, it worked amazingly. She gobbled up half a can right away, and she'd drank some water while I was gone. Yes, I measured the water before and after I left. What of it? :colbert:

Anyway, I'm hoping she'll be okay now. This is the first cat I've ever owned, and the first pet I've had since my childhood dog, and a betta fish, so I'm nervous. She's so tiny. Vet says she's full grown and she only weighs 7lbs. I'm just afraid she'll drop dead at any moment.

Don't panic! She's probably just scared, and likely wants to be left alone. Being taken out twice to the vet, being sick, etc, will all affect her mood. I am the same way with my new pets, I fuss and fret.. and eventually you just realize you have to relax or you'll be doing that for the next XX years of your life. I was checking my kittens spay incision every hour on the hour and brought her to the vet when I saw an extra little cut on her leg that was barely worth mentioning. :shrug: Sounds like the vet isn't too worried though, and those meds should kick in soon and hopefully have her feeling a bit better. She is not going to drop dead on you.

Good idea on the wet food. My girl was only 3.5lbs when she got home (with a cone on), at 5 months. She was teeny tiny. I've already fattened her up to about 4.5-5lbs in a month! If you can afford it, feed her can food as often as possible! I spoil my cat rotten and like to waste my money, so she gets half a can of blue buffalo wilderness every morning, and wilderness dry food the rest of the day. The large cans run about $1.30 on sale. You can probably get the cheaper canned food though for something like 25-50 cents a day. At the very least, it may be a good to do so until she puts on another pound or two.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 31, 2013

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Too much Breaking Bad, not enough Working Out.

Cobalt Chloride posted:

They have cheap ones at Superstore. Comes with the lid and the base for $15-19 I think.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I have a few questions about food after reading the OP of the nutrition thread. The previous owners fed her (2 year old spayed calico) Iams hairball and indoor weight control dry food. I didn't realize how awful Iams is, and now that I've already moved and settled in, I want to focus on changing her diet now that she's comfortable with everything else. I was thinking I should slowly transition to wet food by increasing the amount of times a week she gets it and in the mean time, combining the food she eats now with the better quality dry food. Will this work?

My main concerns are that
1. She'll eat it and then promptly have diarrhea all over the place
2. She'll ignore the new food and then I'll have a hungry cat AND ants.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Coconut Indian posted:

I have a few questions about food after reading the OP of the nutrition thread. The previous owners fed her (2 year old spayed calico) Iams hairball and indoor weight control dry food. I didn't realize how awful Iams is, and now that I've already moved and settled in, I want to focus on changing her diet now that she's comfortable with everything else. I was thinking I should slowly transition to wet food by increasing the amount of times a week she gets it and in the mean time, combining the food she eats now with the better quality dry food. Will this work?

My main concerns are that
1. She'll eat it and then promptly have diarrhea all over the place
2. She'll ignore the new food and then I'll have a hungry cat AND ants.
Buy three to five cans and try it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
My cats used to love our cat tree in our old apartment where we had carpeting. We've since moved into a new place with hardwood floors and I've got the tree set up again. They don't seem to be using it as often as they were in the old place but lately I have seen them climb up to the top again. My question is, I'm worried that when they jump off the top that they will hurt their legs/paws on the hardwood flooring. Is this something I should be concerned about? I know their bodies are made to take jumps and whatnot like that but I'm just worried that jumping off the top onto hardwood flooring for years will do some kind of damage.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Mixing the bad dry food with the new good dry stuff is a good way to transition them; changing anyone's food's nutritional density can screw with their bowels. Keep an eye on the dry food though to make sure they aren't picking over the better kibble... My cats didn't like Wellness Core and would pick around it for the poo poo they were eating before they moved to my place. They will DEVOUR Blue Buffalo indoor though. The bottom of my bag of Wellness said they should be eating 100% Wellness by the end of 7-10 days, with more and more being mixed into their serving each day.

My cats had no problem transitioning to a partial wet food diet, but they were on some ridiculous Purina weight control kibble before I got them(They were my dad's cats) and any alternative was probably a godsend, and I kind of doubt they were drinking much water before then so I'm guessing they were always constipated and the wet food actually straightened them out. Their wet food meal always seems like a significant treat to them now though, given the crap they were fed before. They did not like wet food mixed with kibble though. One or the other, bitch! :catstare:

That being said though, one of my cats is picky about her wet food so I can't just shovel whatever cans they have available into my cart. I'm pretty sure she doesn't like the rice they use in Wellness, which isn't that big of an issue as the ones without it are healthier anyway. :iiam: So get lots of flavours to test and see what she likes and don't be discouraged if she doesn't like a particular kind!

Do you plan on feeding her entirely wet food? If so, you should probably have set meal times (If you don't already) so you can pick up her bowl when she's done, and she'll be hungry enough to finish it close to when you fed her. It's also safer this way because you're not stuck having to figure out how long that stanky bowl of muck has been sitting out for partially eaten... I can't remember how long it's safe to leave open canned food at room temperature but it's not that long.

I think you could probably start feeding her a little bit of wet food every day to get her used to it/into it and try out what flavours she likes, then from there you can gradually increase the amount she eats. Start with like, a quarter - a half can of the smallest can (3 oz?) with one of her meals and increase from there.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

visuvius posted:

My cats used to love our cat tree in our old apartment where we had carpeting. We've since moved into a new place with hardwood floors and I've got the tree set up again. They don't seem to be using it as often as they were in the old place but lately I have seen them climb up to the top again. My question is, I'm worried that when they jump off the top that they will hurt their legs/paws on the hardwood flooring. Is this something I should be concerned about? I know their bodies are made to take jumps and whatnot like that but I'm just worried that jumping off the top onto hardwood flooring for years will do some kind of damage.

Just get a good size square piece of carpet and put it under the tree. Should be pretty cheap. Or a rug, etc. Though honestly, I doubt it will matter much to the cats or the hardwood. They're both usually pretty durable. At most shelters cats are jumping from 5+ feet off trees and shelves onto concrete.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I need some information and help (possible ethical dilemma?) on this cat that I'm supposed to be adopting tomorrow.

On Saturday I went to a local animal shelter with a family friend who knows people who work there. I went there looking to adopt two cats, and I found two that I wanted. One was a super-affectionate tortoiseshell girl around 7 years old. Due to logistics (long story), I didn't want to take the cats home that night, so we agreed that I would go to the shelter on Thursday (tomorrow) and pick up the cats then.

Tonight my family friend called me to tell me that the shelter had been trying to reach me (yet I had no messages), because I needed to know that the tortoiseshell cat is on steroids for irritable bowels. My friend assured me that it was due to the stress of being in the shelter (the cat and her sister had been someone's pet for six years, they were recently given to the shelter, and the cat's sister was adopted without her....hence the stress), and that it would be no big deal to take the cat and just wean her off the steroids.

But now I just did some googling and found this article and others, which make it sound like feline IBD is kind of a big deal, usually presents in cats 6-7 years old (she's right at that age, so the stress thing could either be a trigger or coincidence), is difficult to treat, and is basically manageable but incurable.

So...I'm having issues.

This will be my first cat that I've ever owned (or, well, one of the two I'm adopting). I took care of my brother's cat for 10 months, from Sept 2012 until a few weeks ago, but I've never had a cat of my own before. I fell in love with this cat in the shelter, but I don't know if I'm prepared to deal with a chronically ill cat. I also think it's strange that the shelter didn't mention this to me when I was there in person and picked out the cat on Saturday, and that they didn't contact me directly but through my family friend. My family friend said the shelter was afraid that I would change my mind and she assured them I wouldn't, but now I'm really hesitant.

What do you guys think I should do? I'm scheduled to go pick up the cats tomorrow after work at 5.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Rabbit Hill posted:

What do you guys think I should do? I'm scheduled to go pick up the cats tomorrow after work at 5.

We have a cat with IBS and it really isn't a big deal. Maybe he has a light case of it or something, but he still gets his business done in the box and eats normally (or even too much) despite us not doing anything to treat it. Our vet just said to make his life as stress-less as possible, which is what we do anyway, and it has been a perfectly manageable situation.

Of all the maladies a cat could have, that's like a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
After a huge influx of kittens coming to a local rescue group, my girlfriend and I (after some convincing) decided to foster a kitten.

Meet Pickles, formerly Jayme (pfft, lame!).

We went a little fast and let her and our original cat, Ender, play together, under supervision. Unfortunately that didn't quite work out as an oblivious kitten and a threatened cat clashed a little.

So we slowed it down and did the introduction thing over a few days, and now they're playing together like old pals, with the pitter patter noises of two cats running and sliding on our wood floors as they chase each other.

All good things must come to an end though, and Pickles is now listed on a few cat adoption sites and will hopefully go to a new home soon, and we can get back to our one horse cat town.

I'm sure she'll go really quick, too. Furry little bastard sleeps at the end of our bed just out of reach of our sleep-kicking feet, and on the top of the back cushions of the couch behind our heads as we watch TV, sleeping with her head on her crossed paws. :3:

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 1, 2013

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

crowtribe posted:

After a huge influx of kittens coming to a local rescue group, my girlfriend and I (after some convincing) decided to foster a kitten.

Meet Pickles, formerly Jayme (pfft, lame!).

We went a little fast and let her and our original cat, Ender, play together, under supervision. Unfortunately that didn't quite work out as an oblivious kitten and a threatened cat clashed a little.

So we slowed it down and did the introduction thing over a few days, and now they're playing together like old pals, with the pitter patter noises of two cats running and sliding on our wood floors as they chase each other.

All good things must come to an end though, and Pickles is now listed on a few cat adoption sites and will hopefully go to a new home soon, and we can get back to our one horse cat town.

I'm sure she'll go really quick, too. Furry little bastard sleeps at the end of our bed just out of reach of our sleep-kicking feet, and on the top of the back cushions of the couch behind our heads as we watch TV, sleeping with her head on her crossed paws. :3:

Shoulda changed it to Jaime. A Lannister cat always claws it's debts.
:goonsay:

Adorable! I really wish I could foster, but then I'd become a cat man and adopt them all.

So last night my 6 month old figured out how to finally get on the high kitchen counters. Hooray, my cats vertical life is starting, and my life of hell cleaning off anything I think might be dangerous at 5:30 am.

Black cats are so hard to take pictures of. :bang:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 1, 2013

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Manos del Sino posted:

We have a cat with IBS and it really isn't a big deal. Maybe he has a light case of it or something, but he still gets his business done in the box and eats normally (or even too much) despite us not doing anything to treat it. Our vet just said to make his life as stress-less as possible, which is what we do anyway, and it has been a perfectly manageable situation.

Of all the maladies a cat could have, that's like a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10.

This cat is on steroids to treat her IBS, so I'm assuming that means it's a significant case? On the other hand, she was in the general population room and didn't seem to have any trouble using the litterbox. The cats there also eat Fancy Feast and other food with wheat in it, so maybe once she gets on a better diet in a less stressful environment she'll be okay.

I'm just torn because I really liked that cat -- of all the cats there, she was the one I bonded with the most, and whenever I left the room and came back, she ran right over to me -- but I'm leery of the fact that I wasn't notified about her illness sooner.

They also seemed to be dissuading me from adopting the other cat I wanted, who has been in the shelter for five years and seems on the old side. She is a nondescript small black cat, but very sweet, and I thought no one else would look twice at her so it would be great for her if I could take her home. The shelter couldn't find paperwork on her to determine her age, and now I'm wondering if she might be quite elderly...

I don't know, I'm just having a bad feeling about this all of a sudden.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rabbit Hill posted:

This cat is on steroids to treat her IBS, so I'm assuming that means it's a significant case? On the other hand, she was in the general population room and didn't seem to have any trouble using the litterbox. The cats there also eat Fancy Feast and other food with wheat in it, so maybe once she gets on a better diet in a less stressful environment she'll be okay.

I'm just torn because I really liked that cat -- of all the cats there, she was the one I bonded with the most, and whenever I left the room and came back, she ran right over to me -- but I'm leery of the fact that I wasn't notified about her illness sooner.

They also seemed to be dissuading me from adopting the other cat I wanted, who has been in the shelter for five years and seems on the old side. She is a nondescript small black cat, but very sweet, and I thought no one else would look twice at her so it would be great for her if I could take her home. The shelter couldn't find paperwork on her to determine her age, and now I'm wondering if she might be quite elderly...

I don't know, I'm just having a bad feeling about this all of a sudden.

The vet should be able to determine her approximate age. Have their vet do it, if they have one. That does sound a little shady though, my shelter has never had a case of "missing" paperwork. As that would be kind of a big deal at our shelter. At the least they would replace it with new papers confirmed by the vet clinic. Definitely do not adopt a cat you do not feel comfortable about. There are bazillions of cats that need homes, and you're not a bad person for deciding against it before taking them home. Its bringing them back later that makes (some) people terrible people.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Hi, I'm in the military stationed overseas in Japan. I've posted here before, but here's an update.

I have a spayed girl cat around 2 years old named Charlie. I found Charlie off the street when she was around 8 months old in Texas. She lived with me and three other cats, but she was the only one who had claws, so she bullied them. Ever since I went to Japan (and Charlie came later) she turned into a really needy cat (I'm assuming since the other cats weren't around for her to terrorize)

That was ok, I just spend a lot of time playing with her but I have a problem.

Here in the new future I am going on some really long shifts. Like 18-20 hours on long, so when I get home Charlie is going to want attention and I will want to sleep. I have several toys and a cat tree, but can I get any advice on keeping her ok during my long absences? She doesn't play well with other cats so I'm at a loss.

As it is now, I will probably be doing the long shifts for about a month and a half. I live in a small 2 bdrm apartment, but I don't want Charlie to suffer or give me too much poo poo when I'm trying to sleep.

Basically, beside getting another cat (though I'm thinking I'm willing to try another cat with claws, maybe they'll balance out) does anyone have any advice for me?

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 1, 2013

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Eee, I just got confirmation from my rental agency that two cats will be fine. Been talking to a local goon who's fostering some kittens for a rescue, gonna meet them this weekend. I'm so exciiited :neckbeard:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, I decided not to adopt the sick cat or the elderly cat, and instead found a bonded pair of boys (not related) who are now in my house as I type. One is an adult cat, white with black/grey spots, 3-5 years old, who was anonymously dumped in the parking lot of the shelter, but is very docile and clearly came from a good home. He hid under the bed when he got here for less than 10 minutes and is already exploring both floors of my house.

The other is a tabby kitten, 4-5 months old, was hiding under the bed as of a few minutes ago. But then I heard the big one meow, so I went into the room, and saw the big one meowing at the little one under the bed, and the little one came out, rubbed up against him, and is now following his lead and exploring the house. This is just so cute.

Apparently they met just a week ago at the pet store where the shelter put them out for adoption, and they instantly became best friends. When I went to see them today, they were sleeping together in the same tiny bed. :3: The shelter wanted them adopted together, and I wanted a bonded pair, so here we are! I feel good that I was able to adopt an adult cat like I had planned, and that I was able to keep these two friends together.

I'm trying to think of names for them now. I think I'm going to go with Raphael (for the older cat) and Tobias (for the kitten). The archangel Raphael was Tobias' guardian angel in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, so I thought that was fitting for these two friends. Plus Tobias->Toby the Tabby, come on.

The adoption volunteer gave me a picture she had taken of the two of them on their first day together, and I took a picture of the picture. :v:

E: Here's a picture of the big one out from under the bed within a few minutes of arriving home --

The little one is currently behind the couch in the room I'm in.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 2, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rabbit Hill posted:

Well, I decided not to adopt the sick cat or the elderly cat, and instead found a bonded pair of boys (not related) who are now in my house as I type. One is an adult cat, white with black/grey spots, 3-5 years old, who was anonymously dumped in the parking lot of the shelter, but is very docile and clearly came from a good home. He hid under the bed when he got here for less than 10 minutes and is already exploring both floors of my house.

The other is a tabby kitten, 4-5 months old, was hiding under the bed as of a few minutes ago. But then I heard the big one meow, so I went into the room, and saw the big one meowing at the little one under the bed, and the little one came out, rubbed up against him, and is now following his lead and exploring the house. This is just so cute.

Apparently they met just a week ago at the pet store where the shelter put them out for adoption, and they instantly became best friends. When I went to see them today, they were sleeping together in the same tiny bed. :3: The shelter wanted them adopted together, and I wanted a bonded pair, so here we are! I feel good that I was able to adopt an adult cat like I had planned, and that I was able to keep these two friends together.

I'm trying to think of names for them now. I think I'm going to go with Raphael (for the older cat) and Tobias (for the kitten). The archangel Raphael was Tobias' guardian angel in the Old Testament Book of Tobit, so I thought that was fitting for these two friends. Plus Tobias->Toby the Tabby, come on.

The adoption volunteer gave me a picture she had taken of the two of them on their first day together, and I took a picture of the picture. :v:

E: Here's a picture of the big one out from under the bed within a few minutes of arriving home --

Name the one on the right Bowie.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Kitty friends. :3: That is probably the most perfect ages to adopt two cats. Glad you ended up waiting a bit to find the right pair.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Clavietika posted:

Mixing the bad dry food with the new good dry stuff is a good way to transition them; changing anyone's food's nutritional density can screw with their bowels. Keep an eye on the dry food though to make sure they aren't picking over the better kibble... My cats didn't like Wellness Core and would pick around it for the poo poo they were eating before they moved to my place. They will DEVOUR Blue Buffalo indoor though. The bottom of my bag of Wellness said they should be eating 100% Wellness by the end of 7-10 days, with more and more being mixed into their serving each day.

My cats had no problem transitioning to a partial wet food diet, but they were on some ridiculous Purina weight control kibble before I got them(They were my dad's cats) and any alternative was probably a godsend, and I kind of doubt they were drinking much water before then so I'm guessing they were always constipated and the wet food actually straightened them out. Their wet food meal always seems like a significant treat to them now though, given the crap they were fed before. They did not like wet food mixed with kibble though. One or the other, bitch! :catstare:

That being said though, one of my cats is picky about her wet food so I can't just shovel whatever cans they have available into my cart. I'm pretty sure she doesn't like the rice they use in Wellness, which isn't that big of an issue as the ones without it are healthier anyway. :iiam: So get lots of flavours to test and see what she likes and don't be discouraged if she doesn't like a particular kind!

Do you plan on feeding her entirely wet food? If so, you should probably have set meal times (If you don't already) so you can pick up her bowl when she's done, and she'll be hungry enough to finish it close to when you fed her. It's also safer this way because you're not stuck having to figure out how long that stanky bowl of muck has been sitting out for partially eaten... I can't remember how long it's safe to leave open canned food at room temperature but it's not that long.

I think you could probably start feeding her a little bit of wet food every day to get her used to it/into it and try out what flavours she likes, then from there you can gradually increase the amount she eats. Start with like, a quarter - a half can of the smallest can (3 oz?) with one of her meals and increase from there.

Thanks for the info! In regards to entirely wet food, I don't think I could do that just because I'm going to be starting a new semester of grad school as well as possibly getting a position that's pool/on call. Her feeding times would never be consistent. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 times a week?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Coconut Indian posted:

Thanks for the info! In regards to entirely wet food, I don't think I could do that just because I'm going to be starting a new semester of grad school as well as possibly getting a position that's pool/on call. Her feeding times would never be consistent. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 times a week?

It's not a huge deal really if she's not fed super-consistently at the same time. She'll probably start waking you up and getting irritable though when that time comes around and she doesn't get her food though.

While we're on the subject of canned cat food. I give my cat 1/2 a can of blue buffalo wet food every morning around 8 am, but shes typically still eating and picking at it around lunch time when I come home at 11. I don't really think 3 hours out is a big deal, so I add some hot water to it and she'll usually finish whatever was leftover. But I still worry about the wet food being out after a few hours. How many hours can cat food typically stay out? Some people seem to think 30 minutes (theres no way it goes bad that fast), where others say up to 12 hours, which seems a bit much. :psyduck:

I think I might start giving her a quarter of a can in the morning, and a quarter of a can at night, since she's only 5 lbs and probably can't finish a half a can yet in one serving. It's just a huge pain to warm up the food after taking it out of the fridge.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

So after a few long weeks I think my older cat is finally growing fond of our new kitten. A few days ago they just started licking each other and wrestling constantly and haven't stopped.

I think it's definitely improved since I got my feliway refill, too.

Yay!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Hey cat thread, my siblings and I are moving in together in a new place in a few months, which means several cats (five, oh man). At least four of the cats actually climb the tree, so we're looking for a very durable, long lasting tree that could accommodate the amount of cats. We've purchased from PetCo/PetsMart before and while they have lasted, I'd like to explore the online options as well, and I've seen some websites posted before for quality trees that were also not pocket burning prices (though I could be wrong) but never saved them. Any suggestions on where to purchase online?

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
We have six cats and a tree from Armarkat and it has held up well for many years now.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do we have a cat training megathread or a book recommendation or something? My cat is beyond a total rear end in a top hat in that he eats my feet when I'm at my desk. Enough to cause puncture wounds and scratches that bleed and require some scrubbing. He also jumps up on everything and knocks poo poo over, but I assume there's not too much to do about that.

He's not very food motivated at all and requires some encouragement to eat. He doesn't like any of the toys we have - we've tried toy mice, and things like da bird or feathers on sticks lasted only a couple of months before he decided they were uninteresting. The lazer pointer lasted about 6 months before he caught on and now attacks our hands instead. We got the ball in the track but he doesn't care much for things that he has to move. He couldn't give one gently caress about the fancy scratching post we got. He literally spend 75% of his day watching birds obsessively.

I'm not sure how to reward him for positive behavior. I've been reading Dr. Sophia Yin's website and her book Low Stress Handling for Cats and Dogs for work and she mentions that with cats about either ignoring the behavior until their done, and/or spraying them with water or something while the action is just about to happen and immediately distract with a toy. Both of these have not worked, and we've tried it for a couple of months now. When we sit, ignore it, and wait, his biting and kicking escalates enough to draw blood. No response to seems to frustrate him even further, and it's incredibly uncomfortable when he's biting the soles of your feet. We tried distracting him with toys, but as I said he couldn't give a gently caress about any of the toys he has.

Our vet said that he was most likely overly confident and trying to boss us around. She suggested that when he stalks us to throw a towel on top of him to distract him, or get a toy and redirect his attention. I guess that worked because he no longer stalks us, but he still stalks us and eats our feet when we're on the toilet.

I'm not sure what else anyone has to recommend. Low Stress Handling for Cats and Dogs says not to use too much discipline stuff like spray bottles and go for praising the good behaviors, but how do I do that in a cat that I want to stop eating my feet? I love my kitty and I want him to be friendly and not hurt me anymore :( Would something mentally stimulating help? My boyfriend wants to clicker train him but I'm not sure how to do that with a non food and toy motivated cat.

Edit: I know I've posted about this before - The feet biting has escalated significantly. The hand biting has decreased, as long as you don't provoke it (looking at my boyfriend about that one). He no longer eats our heads when we sleep, which is nice. I mean, sometimes he does, but it's when we play with him before bed and don't wind down after.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Rabbit Hill posted:

Good choice, a pair of cats that like each other isn't that common but it's a lovely thing to see. Sounds like the shelter tried to keep them together as well (most will do all they can not to split up obvious pairs or groups). Adorable pictures :3:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well...I may have spoken too soon. After a few days in the house, it's becoming apparent that the older cat merely tolerates the kitten at best. They sleep next to or curled up together, and they can eat from the same bowl, but otherwise the older cat doesn't seem to like the kitten very much. The kitten tries to play with him and he either ignores him or makes an aggravated meow and scoots away. When they play, it looks okay for a moment, but then there's hissing and flattened ears (I think on both parts, but I've seen the kitten hiss at and advance on the big cat while the big cat tries to move away). Is this normal play, or is it aggression? (Sorry, I'm a dog person, and this is the first time I've lived with two cats! I'm slowly learning Cat Language.)

I've been spending extra time playing with the kitten to tire him out (the big cat doesn't seem to have any interest in playing at all, but he does like to doze next to me while I pet him, so that's the kind of attention I give him). I'm thinking that once the kitten gets older and more sedate, they will probably get along better.

Does this sound about right? I have a feeling that these two were not the best of friends that they appeared to be, and that the big cat is feeling harassed while the little cat is feeling lonely.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help them get along better? I do separate them when it looks like the big cat is clearly annoyed.

Edit: Well, now they're sitting on my bed and the big guy is grooming the little guy while the little guy purrs. So for right now all is well between them. :3:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 5, 2013

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

Does this sound about right? I have a feeling that these two were not the best of friends that they appeared to be, and that the big cat is feeling harassed while the little cat is feeling lonely.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help them get along better? I do separate them when it looks like the big cat is clearly annoyed.

Edit: Well, now they're sitting on my bed and the big guy is grooming the little guy while the little guy purrs. So for right now all is well between them. :3:

Get toys that the kitten can entertain himself with when the big guy doesn't want to play. This Turbo Scratcher has been a hit with most of my cats over the years. Tunnels, balls, mice, Peek-a-Prize cat toy box, the Panic Mouse, etc will all give the kitten something to refocus his attention on.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll do that, thanks. I've seen the little guy playing boisterously by himself with cat toys, so I'm sure he'd be into that Turbo Scratcher.

A little while after they were grooming each other last night, something happened and the big cat pinned the little cat down and bit down on the scruff of his neck. They stayed in that position without a noise or sound for about 15 seconds, until the little cat started squirming and yowling -- that's when I intervened and got them to break up. Am I right in thinking the big cat wasn't trying to hurt the little cat, just put him in his place and get him to quit bugging him?

I feel bad for both of them. :( The little cat is clearly just trying to play (although he seems to cross over into aggression at times), and the big cat is not very playful and clearly trying to have some peace. He's a very serious cat -- it's kind of funny to watch the little cat go crazy for the laser light while the big cat just sits there like some world-weary grump who's Too Old For This poo poo.

At any rate, they slept at the foot of my bed together and this morning had moved to their other bed in the closet together, so there is still good will between them.

I don't care if they're best buds or not, I just don't want them to hurt each other.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
And I want my sister's cat to not jump up in my sink, but she always get up there.

I'm in the bathroom shaving or brushing my teeth or something, the cat comes in and jumps up into the sink, no matter what's in there before her.
I stop whatever I'm doing and lift her out of it and she jumps up again. I lift her out and out of the room while shutting the door, while she is sitting outside meowing, before moving to the other bathroom in the house and jumps up into one of the sinks there and promptly falls asleep.

It is quite funny when she's there lapping at the water from the tap, though. Especially when she's caught. or when she puts her head under the stream and shockingly jumps back, and falls down on to the floor. Then she just lays at the back looking sheepishly at me.

Weird cat is weird.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Datasmurf posted:

And I want my sister's cat to not jump up in my sink, but she always get up there.

I'm in the bathroom shaving or brushing my teeth or something, the cat comes in and jumps up into the sink, no matter what's in there before her.
I stop whatever I'm doing and lift her out of it and she jumps up again. I lift her out and out of the room while shutting the door, while she is sitting outside meowing, before moving to the other bathroom in the house and jumps up into one of the sinks there and promptly falls asleep.

It is quite funny when she's there lapping at the water from the tap, though. Especially when she's caught. or when she puts her head under the stream and shockingly jumps back, and falls down on to the floor. Then she just lays at the back looking sheepishly at me.

Weird cat is weird.

Cats love sinks in the summer.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
That may be, but this one does it all year round.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Datasmurf posted:

They actually make a ceramic "sink" cat bed.

http://www.littlecatdesign.com/index.html

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Heh. If the cat ever wants to stop sleeping at the lawnchair outside our kitchen, I'll consider that.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'll do that, thanks. I've seen the little guy playing boisterously by himself with cat toys, so I'm sure he'd be into that Turbo Scratcher.

A little while after they were grooming each other last night, something happened and the big cat pinned the little cat down and bit down on the scruff of his neck. They stayed in that position without a noise or sound for about 15 seconds, until the little cat started squirming and yowling -- that's when I intervened and got them to break up. Am I right in thinking the big cat wasn't trying to hurt the little cat, just put him in his place and get him to quit bugging him?

I feel bad for both of them. :( The little cat is clearly just trying to play (although he seems to cross over into aggression at times), and the big cat is not very playful and clearly trying to have some peace. He's a very serious cat -- it's kind of funny to watch the little cat go crazy for the laser light while the big cat just sits there like some world-weary grump who's Too Old For This poo poo.

At any rate, they slept at the foot of my bed together and this morning had moved to their other bed in the closet together, so there is still good will between them.

I don't care if they're best buds or not, I just don't want them to hurt each other.

This is all fine and they are best friends. Cat is teaching kitten not to be an rear end in a top hat. You have nothing to worry about, they wouldn't sleep together or share food if they didn't like each other. Bad Things include loud, real growling, screaming, and blood. Yelling and squirming and swatting is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That makes me feel a lot better, thanks. Sorry to bombard the thread with questions -- I'm learning and adjusting to the cats as much as they're adjusting to me. :)