Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jerkstoresup posted:

Did Carmack reveal anything interesting in his keynote today? I'm not in the right head-space to listen to him for very long at the moment.

Mostly just talked about a bunch of engineering stuff, which was interesting as usual, but nothing revolutionary. Some people asked him some questions about future consoles and rockets and stuff, but I can't think of anything really huge that I could quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
When you say "Soldier of Fortune" people will immediately think of super gore and not much else. They probably don't see the need to either reduce potential sales with ultra-violence or disappoint old fans when they're already cranking out CODs at full speed and it sucks up most of their development budget.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh? I thought I'd heard that the Mission Pack stuff would only replace the Spear stuff if you ran them first (I assumed levels and enemies, admittedly), and that you only needed to do some other stuff with Spear if you'd previously run a Mission Pack on Steam before dropping the files into ECWolf. Huh. Just checked, and yeah, when I select Spear it brings up Ultimate Danger.

Edit: Got it all sorted, thanks for telling me.

Also, would not mind a new Soldier of Fortune game from Raven. Even if they do market it as a CoD spinoff.

catlord fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 2, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I played and enjoyed both SOF games when they came out, never played 3 or whatever it was called. But even as someone who LIKED them back in the day, I can't think of any reason to make a new one since they're basically just COD but with a whole loving lot of guts everywhere.

edit: and the corpse mutilation simulator

edit again: to be clear I would still enjoy a COD-like game with massive, absolutely ridiculous, amounts of gore so I'm not saying I DON'T want this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So the lack of ROTT-talk on here is becoming conspicuous taking into account how much hype there was in this thread. Is it a crushing disappointment that you're all trying to ignore or are the people who have it been playing it so much they forgot to chime in and tell their chums how lovely it is?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

So the lack of ROTT-talk on here is becoming conspicuous taking into account how much hype there was in this thread. Is it a crushing disappointment that you're all trying to ignore or are the people who have it been playing it so much they forgot to chime in and tell their chums how lovely it is?

People are talking about it in its own thread.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

tooooooo bad posted:

People are talking about it in its own thread.

Hurf. Another cracking post from Rather Dashing. Shows how much I browse Games out side of my bookmarks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Mostly just talked about a bunch of engineering stuff, which was interesting as usual, but nothing revolutionary.

Carmack is a pretty brilliant software engineer, from my understanding, but holy hell does everything he says go right over my head. He talks like a scientist from a 90's Saturday morning cartoon.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with that. I just think it's kind of funny :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Mostly just talked about a bunch of engineering stuff, which was interesting as usual, but nothing revolutionary. Some people asked him some questions about future consoles and rockets and stuff, but I can't think of anything really huge that I could quote.

Highlights from a summary I read:

-The Xbox One and the PS4 are basically the same and he refused to pick a side; spec pissing contests don't matter because no one person or team is going to master either of them for years. Sony's dev tools are leagues better this time around. Kinect is still terrible at being a primary controller for serious games and probably always will be.

-Microsoft did have the right idea with the original Xbox One usage model since it's obviously the direction everything is headed and it's what Steam and iTunes do already. The privacy worries about the always-on Kinect will fade away just like they have for things like always-on personal GPS devices.

-There won't be any point in having another console generation after this upcoming one until the hardware can comfortably do real-time ray tracing, and nobody's even going to guess when that might happen.

-Really disappointed that 30fps will still be a thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Carmack is a pretty brilliant software engineer, from my understanding, but holy hell does everything he says go right over my head. He talks like a scientist from a 90's Saturday morning cartoon.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with that. I just think it's kind of funny :allears:

I said the same thing last night while I was watching his keynote. He's fascinating to listen to, but I understand like, nothing he says.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rather Dashing posted:

It's a lot of fun, but be warned that it is buggy as all gently caress and does have a lot of problems, and apparently we aren't getting a real patch for another month or so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I'm a serious developer and I've worked in graphics in the past, and even then every now and then something he says I"m not sure what he meant.

My friends were joking that I should provide them subtitles/translation as we watched it :haw:

Maybe I'll watch it again and do a transcription

Reive
May 21, 2009

Question about Quake cd music, if I burn the tracks to a cd for use in most clients are they smart enough to use the right track since there's no track 1? I mean if it tries to load track 4 will it play 5 instead since 5 is actually the 4th track on the disc?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reive posted:

Question about Quake cd music, if I burn the tracks to a cd for use in most clients are they smart enough to use the right track since there's no track 1? I mean if it tries to load track 4 will it play 5 instead since 5 is actually the 4th track on the disc?

Make a mixed mode CD and throw a text file or hello.jpg or something in the data section?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mak0rz posted:

He talks like a scientist from a 90's Saturday morning cartoon.

No, he talks like a scientist from a specific famous cartoon.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Darkplaces supports playing music as .ogg files. Make a 'sounds' folder inside 'id1', and a 'cdtracks' folder inside 'sounds'. Then the music tracks should look like 'track02.ogg' through 'track11.ogg'.

So 'id1/sounds/cdtracks/track02.ogg' for example.

Many clients support wav or mp3 too, but I only play singleplayer in darkplaces.

Reive
May 21, 2009

ah the engines I'm using only have cd support, but I forgot about the music remap console command, added it into my autoexec and everything's dandy.

I know I'm probably the only one who cares about this sort of stuff but here's a quick comparison between an old pre-gl engine and a modern nostalgia based engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDBQ333KEo

specifically using winquakepro because original winquake doesn't have mousewheel support.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What's the best MIDI synth to use for GZDoom's Linux port? FMod? Timidity++ and OPL are the only ones I have installed right now since it's a fairly fresh Linux install, and both sound pretty blah.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Reive posted:

ah the engines I'm using only have cd support, but I forgot about the music remap console command, added it into my autoexec and everything's dandy.

I know I'm probably the only one who cares about this sort of stuff but here's a quick comparison between an old pre-gl engine and a modern nostalgia based engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtDBQ333KEo

specifically using winquakepro because original winquake doesn't have mousewheel support.

I certainly care about this. My ideal port of Quake would function like Chocolate Doom: render the game in a virtual 320x200 space, then stretch it out to the desired resolution. The result is chunky pixel goodness, the way Carmack intended.

I would like a port that sticks as close as possible to looking like DOS Quake while adding some modern amenities like big map support. So maybe not exactly like Chocolate Doom, but very similar in how it handles graphics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What's the best MIDI synth to use for GZDoom's Linux port? FMod? Timidity++ and OPL are the only ones I have installed right now since it's a fairly fresh Linux install, and both sound pretty blah.

Timidity++ takes many different soundfonts. Try downloading some from here: http://www3.telus.net/anapan8/oldscardemu.htm

This should particularly help for playing the original DOOM music, since there are many on there which are taken directly from period-accurate sound cards.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is on Steam for change. How was that game? I played the living poo poo out of Enemy Territory (granted, it was a stand-alone game and free), but never the single player campaign.

RtCW brings back so many memories. The single player was alright, but the multiplayer is where it really shined. Enemy Territory was popular because it was free, but it was largely a step back from RtCW. A lot of the mods for ET's online play removed features or tweaked them to be more like RtCW.

IMO it really set a standard and gave direction for FPS gaming online, shifting from deathmatch/CTF towards objective-based gameplay with classes.

I miss it :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Install Windows posted:

Timidity++ takes many different soundfonts. Try downloading some from here: http://www3.telus.net/anapan8/oldscardemu.htm

This should particularly help for playing the original DOOM music, since there are many on there which are taken directly from period-accurate sound cards.

Thanks, that helps a lot. That's convenient that it's just a simple cfg edit to change the sound font.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you use OPL emulation, set it to the "Java" core, it's the best. On Linux you probably should have FluidSynth available, too. Also, you should have the GUS emulation available too since it's internal to ZDoom, you just need to set it up.

There's some pointers to sound fonts and sound patches here.

In other news:

catlord posted:

Little disappointed it doesn't have a fancier launcher like GZDoom, but it's effective.
ECWolf 1.2.2 is out and it does feature a graphical game selector like ZDoom's. At last.

There's some more stuff like a PC speaker emulator if AdLib sounds are too hi-fi for you, and hopefully fixed a crash which happened when killing the mad scientist boss in Wolf 3D's second episode.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 3, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I use Shan's Sound Font for MIDI stuff. Here's Goin' Down the Fastway with it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

jerkstoresup posted:

Darkplaces supports playing music as .ogg files. Make a 'sounds' folder inside 'id1', and a 'cdtracks' folder inside 'sounds'. Then the music tracks should look like 'track02.ogg' through 'track11.ogg'.

So 'id1/sounds/cdtracks/track02.ogg' for example.

Many clients support wav or mp3 too, but I only play singleplayer in darkplaces.

Stuff about how the various engines handle music: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They are only going to be streaming the top 3 for the Doom II tournament at quakecon, so if anyone wants to see that then the first match is coming up next on the stream. The grand finals will be later on tonight (schedule says 7:00 central).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

In other news:

ECWolf 1.2.2 is out and it does feature a graphical game selector like ZDoom's. At last.

There's some more stuff like a PC speaker emulator if AdLib sounds are too hi-fi for you, and hopefully fixed a crash which happened when killing the mad scientist boss in Wolf 3D's second episode.

Fantastic.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

proof of concept posted:

They are only going to be streaming the top 3 for the Doom II tournament at quakecon, so if anyone wants to see that then the first match is coming up next on the stream.

That loving final match. :aaaaa:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TerminusEst13 posted:

That loving final match. :aaaaa:

That was my reaction to every map from the Doom II match and both of the QuakeLive duel matches. They were all crazy and they all came right down to the wire. The grand finals for both games are going to be absolutely ridiculous.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any way to see these after the fact?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can always go to the "past broadcasts" on the channel's profile. I'm sure they'll also eventually be chopped up into vods.

edit: you were right to wait for vods, this stream is awful beyond words

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 4, 2013

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to see these after the fact?

Here you go. The stream's better if you drop the quality down to 360p, and there's about 35/40 minutes of fluff before the game itself starts. But holy poo poo is it a good match.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Here you go. The stream's better if you drop the quality down to 360p, and there's about 35/40 minutes of fluff before the game itself starts. But holy poo poo is it a good match.

Holy poo poo these guys are so amazingly matched.

Reive
May 21, 2009

which files are actually needed to run Quake 3? I prefer to have my games as binaries I can run from anywhere so I want to get rid of excess setup files and readmes.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
When you're fully patched up, you'll have/need pak0.pk3 through pak8.pk3 in the baseq3 folder. Also in there: qagamex86.dll, uix86.dll, and cgamex86.dll (assuming Windows version).

As for the Q3 engine up outside the baseq3 folder, I don't know what the situation is for the vanilla/original release. I use ioquake3 and FWIW that's comprised of: ioquake3.x86.exe, libcurl-4.dll, openal32.dll, and SDL.dll. Original Q3 would definitely use a different exe and libraries; maybe someone else can check on that for you. Or you can always just delete files until it stops working. :)

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
There's the Pro Installer, which—assuming you don't find it unethical—installs everything Quake 3 you'd ever need. It's in the third post of the thread.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bouchacha posted:

Holy poo poo these guys are so amazingly matched.

That first map was something else.

The Quake Live final was also fantastic. The stream sometimes goofed up the audio -- showing player A but hearing player B -- but nevertheless that match had some amaaaazing demonstrations of both map lockdown and also out-of-control play.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Johnny Law posted:

When you're fully patched up, you'll have/need pak0.pk3 through pak8.pk3 in the baseq3 folder. Also in there: qagamex86.dll, uix86.dll, and cgamex86.dll (assuming Windows version).

As for the Q3 engine up outside the baseq3 folder, I don't know what the situation is for the vanilla/original release. I use ioquake3 and FWIW that's comprised of: ioquake3.x86.exe, libcurl-4.dll, openal32.dll, and SDL.dll. Original Q3 would definitely use a different exe and libraries; maybe someone else can check on that for you. Or you can always just delete files until it stops working. :)

Nice, basically just installed ioquake, copied the files elsewhere, uninstalled, dropped in the paks and now I have a clean portable Quake 3!

Reive fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2013

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Where the best source of Unreal Tournament (particularly 2004) maps? ModDB & Filefront have a lot, but I'm wondering if there any sites that are considered more "definitive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The best source of maps? Why, http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/cranky/ of course!