Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I've seen it twice, and I feel like the scene where someone injects something into someone else's (or maybe his own past self's) milk jug is really the point where I no longer have the foggiest sense of who is doing what or why.

If I remember correctly, it's future Aaron drugging past Aaron because he knows exactly what he had for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

oldpainless posted:

If you liked primer I heartily recommend clockstoppers.

Based on the box office of Clockstoppers, I doubt many people got this joke, but I did, and I thought it was hilarious.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Based on the box office of Clockstoppers, I doubt many people got this joke, but I did, and I thought it was hilarious.

Clockstoppers had the same premise of another, older movie that I cannot for the life of me remember. All I remember is that a gangrape was played as a joke at the end.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Even if you didn't like Primer, watch Timecrimes. Whereas Primer is a tangled mess that requires at least three rewatches to understand (but it's OK, they did it on purpose!), Timecrimes is a tightly written, immediately enjoyable film with a complex plot that's properly communicated and remains followable throughout, and resolves superbly. It also has my favourite sci-fi protagonist ever.

My favourite subtle thing in Timecrimes is the fact that the time-machine caretaker guy is super evasive about why he activated the machine in the first place. The actual reasons are never explained, but the movie takes place on a Saturday evening. He was after the lottery numbers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Roger Tangerines posted:

Even if you didn't like Primer, watch Timecrimes. Whereas Primer is a tangled mess that requires at least three rewatches to understand (but it's OK, they did it on purpose!), Timecrimes is a tightly written, immediately enjoyable film with a complex plot that's properly communicated and remains followable throughout, and resolves superbly. It also has my favourite sci-fi protagonist ever.]

Eh, what you see as poor communication I see as natural dialogue. I hate when characters conversing in movies switch to exposition mode, it always pulls me out of the scene and reminds me that I'm watching a movie. I thought Primer was refreshing in that it didn't cater to the audience, and just kept it's own pace.

I think The Onion ran a story that went something like "Characters explaining stuff that other characters should already know!", which sums up my feelings.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The worst thing about both Primer and Upstream Color is that the main guy, the writer/director, has an incurable case of backpfeifengesicht.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Primer is the ultimate libertarian cinematic masterpiece, IMO.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Primer should've included a narrator. Ron Howard could probably explain what's happening in every scene very clearly.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kruller posted:

Clockstoppers had the same premise of another, older movie that I cannot for the life of me remember. All I remember is that a gangrape was played as a joke at the end.

Wait, isn't Clockstoppers a sort-of-Disney-esque tween/teen movie?

THAT had a gangrape joke?! :psyduck:

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the older movie it was based on had a gangrape joke.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Aug 2, 2013

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cacahuate posted:

Primer should've included a narrator. Ron Howard could probably explain what's happening in every scene very clearly.

My favorite "PYF Subtle" on from, gently caress I need to get this poo poo down, Arrested Development are the notes on the fridge.

George Michael drank the last of the milk.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Aug 2, 2013

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It absolutely did NOT. I have seen clockstoppers like fifteen times.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, isn't Clockstoppers a sort-of-Disney-esque tween/teen movie?

THAT had a gangrape joke?! :psyduck:

Edit: Oh, unless you mean the older movie it was based on had a gangrape joke.

The older movie had the gangrape. Clockstoppers was for kids, yes.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Clockstoppers ruled, I had the official watch and was the coolest kid in school.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Did it stop?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished watching Triangle based on the recommendation from this thread. What was up with the two possible endings to Jess- one with her falling off the ship and washing up on shore, and the other getting beaten to death right before she could have fallen? One explanation I read was that the Jess that beat the other version of herself to death was the one that would eventually stab the other two characters to death, which would explain that part, but this seems more like an oversight.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Kruller posted:

The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. Never seen it, but the Wikipedia summary mentions the gang rape. For some actual hilarity, here is the synopsis from IMDb:

Someone on IMDb posted:

the golden watch at the end he end up marrying her and bonnie helps him. she take the golden watch ends up falling in love with him. he grand father was a rich millionare. who gave money to charity. the bad guys end up wearing vegas girl clothes. its about love and compassion and adventure. there is also romance and kissing. he ends up falling in love with the girl of his dreams and she wouldnt sell him hout for alot of money both bonnie and kirby are in love.kirby winters inherits one thing from his millionaire uncle a gold pocket watch. Kirby and his girlfriend, Bonnie Lee Beaumont soon discover that the watch has the power to stop time. It also provides a clue to a hidden fortune. Only, the bad guys know that he has it, and will do anything to take it from him

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished watching Triangle based on the recommendation from this thread. What was up with the two possible endings to Jess- one with her falling off the ship and washing up on shore, and the other getting beaten to death right before she could have fallen? One explanation I read was that the Jess that beat the other version of herself to death was the one that would eventually stab the other two characters to death, which would explain that part, but this seems more like an oversight.

Edit:Or maybe not- another site suggests that there are 3 different versions of Jess, and that she can become the Crazy Killer, who murders her son/ kills everyone on the ship/ is beaten to death, or the one we follow, who goes home and stops herself, gets into an accident, then gets on the boat.

***drat, quote isn't edit!***

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EdibleBodyParts posted:

The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. Never seen it, but the Wikipedia summary mentions the gang rape. For some actual hilarity, here is the synopsis from IMDb:
What the hell? So in the novel the antagonist tried to rob the protagonists uncle but fails and gets reverse robbbed? Later she tries stealing the nephews time stopping watch so uses it against her and "settles instead for getting her raped by a truckload of Navy sailors". Neat book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl,_the_Gold_Watch_%26_Everything

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cage posted:

What the hell? So in the novel the antagonist tried to rob the protagonists uncle but fails and gets reverse robbbed? Later she tries stealing the nephews time stopping watch so uses it against her and "settles instead for getting her raped by a truckload of Navy sailors". Neat book.

There's also the bit about how while sleeping in someone else's bed a woman has sex with him thinking he was the person who usually slept there. Instead of both parties freaking out apparently they fall completely in love with each other.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
And then run around stripping women naked as punishment for the crime of wearing bikinis. Holy gently caress what is wrong with this book

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I don't know if it was mentioned, but I just saw The Wolverine and early on Logan is shown being nervous on an airplane. I was wondering why, since he's invulnerable, and then realized that thats exactly why. He'd be stuck in the middle of the ocean for years and years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cage posted:

I was about to post about how the author has some pretty deep issues with women. Then I looked up who it was- John D MacDonald, the guy Stephen King emulates when he's feeling noir-ish.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oppenheimer posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned, but I just saw The Wolverine and early on Logan is shown being nervous on an airplane. I was wondering why, since he's invulnerable, and then realized that thats exactly why. He'd be stuck in the middle of the ocean for years and years.

It's even worse for him than that. Because his skeleton is made of adamantium, he'd sink. Being able to regenerate doesn't remove his need for oxygen, so he'd spend forever constantly drowning and reviving. It's about the only way short of disintegration to permanently kill him.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Jedit posted:

It's even worse for him than that. Because his skeleton is made of adamantium, he'd sink. Being able to regenerate doesn't remove his need for oxygen, so he'd spend forever constantly drowning and reviving. It's about the only way short of disintegration to permanently kill him.

While this is good and true, I think the real answer is he was nervous on the jet in the first X-men movie and they were alluding to that for fans of the "original" movies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

His bones are only coated in adamantium not made of the stuff so he only weighs something like a pound and a half more than a normal person. He'd probably float just fine.

:goonsay:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Depends on the movie. He was made out to be super heavy when he sat on the motorcycle in Wolverine. Also even if he sank, I imagine he could just walk along the sea floor out of the ocean. It would be by no means pleasant but he wouldn't be stuck forever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

Depends on the movie. He was made out to be super heavy when he sat on the motorcycle in Wolverine. Also even if he sank, I imagine he could just walk along the sea floor out of the ocean. It would be by no means pleasant but he wouldn't be stuck forever.

No the idea is he would drown before he took more than a few steps. Then he would wake up a few minutes later and try to get up and walk but drown again. Every few steps another drowning.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Not with his fat-to-muscle ratio could he float. :swoon:
That movie has a lot of great unspoken moments. One of them is when Wolverine and Hariko? I forget her name, the grand daughter, are in the house at Nagasaki, she mentions she fell in love with her other bodyguard when they were both young teenagers, and even planned to get married. Granddad said 'not until you're 15' which is Hariko's way of saying 'we were dumb kids' (not Japan has weird marriage laws, like you might think at first). After all, she never married the guy, did she?
Go see the Wolverine it's pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the comic books drowning would kill him. Wolverine knows this because that's how he killed his son, who had the same powers.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Having a super sped up metabolism would mean you would drown faster because your body is going to blow through your oxygen reserves faster, no?

Drowning would definitely kill him

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Even if you didn't die, drowning is a very painful experience as your body will go through everything to avoid you inhaling water.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

His bones are only coated in adamantium not made of the stuff so he only weighs something like a pound and a half more than a normal person. He'd probably float just fine.

:goonsay:

Thank you. I've raved like a lunatic about this before, but the adamantium adds a couple pounds to his weight (Nine to be exact). Somewhere, somebody changed it on a trading card stat, and from there it became something that lovely writers (who don't think things through) bring up and reference. He can swim and float just fine unless an rear end is telling the story.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Maybe he just has an irrational fear of flying.

Anyway to contribute from a terrible movie, Wanted, near the beginning James McAvoy is leaving his apartment and over his shoulder on a telephone pole an old sign is selectively covered by handbills to read "Your...Father's...Son" with a shot of his secret-father's apartment juxtaposed in the background. I'm going by memory a bit on this one but I thought it was cute when I caught a rerun of the movie on cable a couple months back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Admin Understudy posted:

Maybe he just has an irrational fear of flying.

Anyway to contribute from a terrible movie, Wanted, near the beginning James McAvoy is leaving his apartment and over his shoulder on a telephone pole an old sign is selectively covered by handbills to read "Your...Father's...Son" with a shot of his secret-father's apartment juxtaposed in the background. I'm going by memory a bit on this one but I thought it was cute when I caught a rerun of the movie on cable a couple months back.

A subtle touch I like is how whenever you read any mention of Mark Miller on a comicbook/ DVD cover, you know that it's going to be terrible.

Like John D MacDonald gang-rape terrible.

He also stole ideas from GRR Martin of all people.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
As far as needlessly nihilistic and antagonistic movies go, Wanted's actually a pretty enjoyable action flick, even is if it is monumentally stupid.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The keyboard gag was worth the price of admission

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Riptor posted:

The keyboard gag was worth the price of admission

And the gif some goon made of Dr. Frogout with the keyboard and the keys saying "get out" always makes me so happy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first Silent Hill movie does a really cool thing with Rose's outfit over the course of the film.

IMDb posted:

Around 100 different copies of Rose's outfit were made. It started out with soft summery colors and as the movie progressed it became grayer and eventually blood red. The change in the outfits were so subtle that it was barely noticeable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's pretty cool- is that connected to the plot somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Professor Shark posted:

That's pretty cool- is that connected to the plot somehow?

Not really. About the only thing it had going for it was the visuals.