Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

rio posted:

What is the grind exactly, is it a level grind? I have been playing it for the first time today, quite a bit and after getting a decent starting character and have been really enjoying it.

Basically the two bottle necks are cost and box space.

Running Tower of Giants on Weekend will level you fast enough that you can get to level 50-60 in no time. That not enough cost to run a full god team but you could run a heartbreaker, orb changes, starter dragon, god, and dub spirit. You really only need the god teams for the hardest dungeons (descends), which will likely take you about 1.5 months-2 months before your doing the easiest descends. I'm currently level 73 and unless I'm doing a specialty dungeon I can get about 2 ranks a day.

Box space is only really problem if you want to do Pengdra farming (which you do because it levels your mons faster than anything else by a wide margin). So I took the free premium currency they gave me during dungeons and events and got 140 boxes. But you can only effective Pengdra farm until you have clear the castle of Satan so you don't have to rush for more boxes.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
After a lot of resetting, the best I got during this Godfest was Baal ("Okay" according to the P&D nerds), only to find out that I couldn't use it until some mysterious time in the future.

That time is now. Everything dies pretty much instantly with this thing, even when it's the only monster in my party. I can see why you nerds advocate rerolling a million times during the Godfest. It's not worth the time spent doing it, obviously, but it sure makes the game not completely terrible. Getting to the point where I could actually use Baal with the regular rear end podunk monsters was tedious at best, with how quickly the game started to sloowww doowwwnnn, but I could see continuing with those same monsters turn into a major grind in fuse/coin costs alone. So, uhh, thanks for nothing? Something? A little bit?

Besides, what else am I going to do with my life? Stop playing this game when it becomes clear that I'm going to need to spend money to progress, but until then..

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bad piggies is the app of the week! For all of us cheap bastards that never bought now is the time to get it free.

Bummey posted:

After a lot of resetting, the best I got during this Godfest was Baal ("Okay" according to the P&D nerds), only to find out that I couldn't use it until some mysterious time in the future.

That time is now. Everything dies pretty much instantly with this thing, even when it's the only monster in my party. I can see why you nerds advocate rerolling a million times during the Godfest. It's not worth the time spent doing it, obviously, but it sure makes the game not completely terrible. Getting to the point where I could actually use Baal with the regular rear end podunk monsters was tedious at best, with how quickly the game started to sloowww doowwwnnn, but I could see continuing with those same monsters turn into a major grind in fuse/coin costs alone. So, uhh, thanks for nothing? Something? A little bit?

Besides, what else am I going to do with my life? Stop playing this game when it becomes clear that I'm going to need to spend money to progress, but until then..
Coins are not a bottleneck in this PAD. Basically if you only fuse high value exp fodder to monster (never spend more money then exp you gain). I got a quarter million and raising, they are basically worthless to me at this point. Grinding levels for your mons is a slower process for gods over level 35 you only want to use evolved pengdra, king metallic dragons, and super king metallic dragons for exp. It takes a week to complete pengdra s but it doesn't need IAP. Dragons are also no IAP but in random dungeons every few weeks.

Funny enough today was a "free" pengdra day and I got a god from level 6 to 44.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 2, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

haveblue posted:

About how long does it take to play through Year Walk?

2-4 hours on the first go, I reckon.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Coins are not a bottleneck in this PAD. Basically if you only fuse high value exp fodder to monster (never spend more money then exp you gain). I got a quarter million and raising, they are basically worthless to me at this point. Grinding levels for your mons is a slower process for gods over level 35 you only want to use evolved pengdra, king metallic dragons, and super king metallic dragons for exp. It takes a week to complete pengdra s but it doesn't need IAP. Dragons are also no IAP but in random dungeons every few weeks.

Funny enough today was a "free" pengdra day and I got a god from level 6 to 44.

Basically, if you only <end game poo poo>. That's like saying "Oh well Nethack is easy when you have greased blessed grey dragon scale armor +5, a wand of recharge and a magic lamp" ignoring the fact that you have to get that first. Yeah, coins probably aren't an issue later on. In the beginning, however, right now, I can't afford to fuse anything more than once every few runs and enemy toughness ramps up considerably in the first few dungeons. If that continued much longer I'd be throwing that game to the curb, and I probably will later on when Baal outlives it usefulness.

No matter. Video games. Also, it turns out I did get Idunna and Idanna (or whatever they're called) in one of my rerolls but deleted the data because I thought they were poop. Only after viewing the P&D thread again did I realize that.

vvv I am not the target audience, I know. I know it's a little by little, day by day sort of game. The energy meter alone forces that kind of play. One of my favorite things about Animal Crossing is how town progression and building upgrades are metered out in real days, even weeks. There's little to be gained by powering through it, which makes it last that much longer and reduces the possibility of burn out. As long as P&D doesn't hit a serious pay wall I'll probably stick with it for as long as I enjoy it. I didn't mean to say that I'd rage quit the instant I hit a speed bump, but once it becomes unreasonable in terms of time:reward (I don't mean reward as in loot or tangible assets) then I will reexamine my motivations. Video games.

VV I know, that wasn't an ideal correlation, I'm just poking at a friend who is way better than me at nethack. :) One of these days, I'll beat it.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 2, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Bummey posted:

I would not have played PAD as much a I have if I did not have 6+ real life friends who also did. The dependence on pal monsters at a higher level is either awesome or dumb depending on your perspective.

That said, the game is absolutely not one you can marathon and derive enjoyment from in a short amount of time. It is still a stamina/day by day kind of game a la FarmVille. It deals with that structure very well many ways, a few being special events and handing out IAP currency but you really aren't digging how you can't play through progression on your own time and need to play day by day for optimal efficiency, it is not the game for you - sorry Bummey :(

^ the nethack comparison is slightly unfair because when you actually get good monsters in PAD you keep them forever, which leads to a sense of permanent accomplishment. Also coins aren't a "Oh in an hour of play they will be irrelevant" but a "Oh, after I kind of get mechanics and run a weekend only dungeon they'll be relevant" which isn't really better but take that as you will.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 2, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bummey posted:

Basically, if you only <end game poo poo>. That's like saying "Oh well Nethack is easy when you have greased prismatic grey dragon scale armor +5, a wand of recharge and a magic lamp" ignoring the fact that you have to get that first. Yeah, coins probably aren't an issue later on. In the beginning, however, right now, I can't afford to fuse anything more than once every few runs and enemy toughness ramps up considerably in the first few dungeons. If that continued much longer I'd be throwing that game to the curb, and I probably will later on when Baal outlives it usefulness.

No matter. Video games. Also, it turns out I did get Idunna and Idanna (or whatever they're called) in one of my rerolls but deleted the data because I thought they were poop. Only after viewing the P&D thread again did I realize that.

Guess but if you really want a grey dragon scale grab yourself a ogre and 4 spirits and siren friend. Run the expert sprit dungeon today and you get ton of a 500 hp, attack, 300 RCV for 1 cost monsters and a 80% chance at a bad rear end one. The actual thread has detailed how to. You would be able to destroy the early dungeons with those and Baal.

But really you should be able to make 3-4 combos each round no problem. If not that might be your problem.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Uberskooper posted:

Check out Ravenmark, both the original single player Scourge of Estellion and the new multiplayer focused Mecenaries. It's one of the deepest and most interesting turn based strategy games on the iOS and the best medieval-style warfare game. I'm surprised more goons aren't talking about Mercenaries on here. Sometimes interesting games do get discussed, but this thread seems to be mostly about llama murder simulators.

Thank you very much for this suggestion, as between this and Breach and clear I'm having a blast, I definitely feel covered for my travels!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The Spaceteam update allows cross-platform play finally. If all your friends have android devices like me, you will actually get to play it!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Rymdkapsel is pretty good, kind of wish there was a way to direct your minions movements more though, or at least th AI was a bit less easily distracted and actually finished building things instead of working on something else.

Also, Xcom got an update, cutscenes can be skipped and there is a few modifiers added too like randomising rookies stats or the cash nations give you, there's also something about being able to check panic levels.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 2, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bummey posted:

I don't really blame you. Any monster that is an anime little girl is kind of creepy, and there are a lot of them. I signed up for DRAGONS.

Shwqa posted:

Bad piggies is the app of the week! For all of us cheap bastards that never bought now is the time to get it free.
Man am I glad I come in here and ctrl+f "free" once in a while.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Borderlands app for sale. But what's up with the review?!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
With Xcom being on sale, and it sitting in my Steam inventory I have to ask how it compares to the desktop version of the game. Is it a fully fledged representation of it or a diluted taste of the game? I have $100 in App store credit from buying my new iMac that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aesis posted:

Borderlands app for sale. But what's up with the review?!

It's a REALLY loving BAD game 100% riding the brand name. Skip it.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

TraderStav posted:

With Xcom being on sale, and it sitting in my Steam inventory I have to ask how it compares to the desktop version of the game. Is it a fully fledged representation of it or a diluted taste of the game? I have $100 in App store credit from buying my new iMac that's burning a hole in my pocket.

It's basically 100% of the game. Some control differences but it's really quite good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

he1ixx posted:

It's basically 100% of the game. Some control differences but it's really quite good.

Ahh terrific, thanks for the feedback!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TraderStav posted:

The only thing I remember from this thread is that some level assets aren't included so mission terrain/appearance may be slightly less varied in the grand scheme of things. Other than that it appears to be undiluted apart from any control issues with a touch interface.

That being said, I'm playing it on PS3 right now (free thanks to PS+) and with it installed on my HD there are still some slightly annoying load times, particularly at the end of missions. It was also a little choppy in certain scenes (transitioning from mission-begin in-game rendered cutscene to just being in-game play). I don't know what the performance is like for different iOS devices but that would be my concern if that kind of thing bothers you. Totally baller game otherwise, though.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
With the update, everything is quicker on the iPad Mini, with cut scenes telling you when you can skip them and not leaving you aimlessly tapping the screen, there appears to be more textures, and it's all round sexier. No better time to get the game, as far as I can see.

To be honest, Rymdkapsel has caught my interest so much that I've put it into my automated spellchecker so it stops having a fit with the word, but I just had a quickie play of X-Com to see and that's what's immediately spottable with the update. Also it needs over 3.2gb free to update for me. Jesus.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

TraderStav posted:

edit: beat thoroughly

It's the fully game minus the DLC, customizable squad members, a smaller map pool, and no multiplayer. I had the game on PS3 and returned it the day I picked it up on my iPad. It plays really well and it is the fully fledged game. The only thing that I really wish the game allowed for was a free looking camera and that the gestures to control the camera worked better. But there are buttons on the layout to control the camera so I just end up using those.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No Guile hair or pink armor might be a dealbreaker :(

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Helmacron posted:

With the update, everything is quicker on the iPad Mini, with cut scenes telling you when you can skip them and not leaving you aimlessly tapping the screen, there appears to be more textures, and it's all round sexier. No better time to get the game, as far as I can see.

To be honest, Rymdkapsel has caught my interest so much that I've put it into my automated spellchecker so it stops having a fit with the word, but I just had a quickie play of X-Com to see and that's what's immediately spottable with the update. Also it needs over 3.2gb free to update for me. Jesus.

They add second wave the day after I delete it for not having it? God drat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's not a bad move though. I dont have enough space to update, but have enough to download it from scratch. :v:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Does anyone know if its possible to tell if games on the Japanese store have their translation. I know some do but I don't want to fork out for the World Ends With You to have to play at a level above my Japanese!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

haveblue posted:

About how long does it take to play through Year Walk?

Sad lions posted:

2-4 hours on the first go, I reckon.

Including the "true ending", it took me about 3 hours in a single sitting. It could take a little longer if you get stuck on the puzzles, but I do recommend you treat it as a complete 3 hour experience rather than breaking it up into chunks.

Also, play it in the dark with headphones on. Trust me on this. The game is loving chilling at times, and I literally screamed out loud several times because it just has this sense of creeping dread that puts you on a hair trigger for the jump scares. Oh and have the companion app installed too. Read it before and after the game. Not during.

Year Walk lingered in my thoughts hours after I finished it. It is not only a great iOS game, it's a great game full stop. Possibly one of the greatest I have ever played on any platform. It's disturbing, and unique, and clever, and beautiful. It's an astonishing achievement and I'll never trust the opinion of anyone that doesn't out this on their game of the year short list. It's not just a game, it's an experience.

Basically, if you haven't yet played Year Walk you need to do so. In the dark. With headphones. In a single sitting.

And on a lighter note, Safari Rescue has the best "abandon game" screen ever.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 2, 2013

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Apocron posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to tell if games on the Japanese store have their translation. I know some do but I don't want to fork out for the World Ends With You to have to play at a level above my Japanese!

World Ends With You has English, I purchased it from the Japanese App Store. If you look up the app via iTunes or the web interface, and scroll down to Information->Languages, you can usually (but not always), go by what is listed there. Other Square games I have that DON'T have English are Ghost Trick and FFT for what it's worth.

edit: Ghost Trick is Capcom I guess.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Man am I glad I come in here and ctrl+f "free" once in a while.

Yeah that got covered by a wall of text, my bad. Lets duck siren this poo poo

:ducksiren: :ducksiren: Bad Piggies is currently free :ducksiren: :ducksiren:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
We need to talk more in here about Rymdskapel. I am loving it so hardcore, but the latter waves just gently caress me over near the end so I cannot beat the first world.

I see there's a mission objective of getting all 4 Monoliths in under 45 minutes. I can get 3 in about 60-80 minutes. Leading me to believe that I am doing something terribly wrong.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bad Piggies is a good game.

Fuckin Rovio.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Could I solicit opinions on Survivalcraft, especially how it stacks up against MCPE?

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

Bad Piggies just crashes on launch on my jailbroken 4S running 6.1.2. I seem to recall having the same issue with the free version back when it came out. Too bad, it looks like fun.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

:ducksiren: Dig! by Crescent Moon Games just went free. :ducksiren:

http://appshopper.com/games/dig-4

I don't know if it's good but I love endless diggers! Mother Lode, I Dig It, fuckin Dig Dug, Minecraft, whatever. if you dig, I dig.

Edit: it's kind of like Qix
Edit2: Ok, it's totally just a Qix clone. A disappointment, but I guess I do like Qix.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 2, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Rymdkapsel is awesome. I just got to wave 28 and died, however the objective is misleading. You don't have to survive wave 28, you have to get to wave 28. I researched all of the monoliths this go round in about fifty-five minutes. Forty five seems fairly easy if the pieces fall your way and you don't suffer any bullshit unluckyness. I recommend path building while your dudes are fighting the evil lines from space.

Around wave twenty two, you won't be able to really have dudes doing any resupplying unless you have a lot of extra dudes than defense stations, which may not be the worst idea. You don't want too many defense stations, as the more spread out ones will get swarmed. You want them as closely packed together so they can defend themselves and each other better. Once you're done building poo poo, you're better off selling poo poo you don't need for more materials to build more poo poo you do need ( quarters, defense stations, etc.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Could I solicit opinions on Survivalcraft, especially how it stacks up against MCPE?

Sure! Survival Craft is great. It has caves, infinite worlds, electricity, a wide variety of animals including werewolves, downloadable community content, boating, and islands in the ocean.

On the other hand, Minecraft PE has online play, fantasy mobs (zombies,etc), and...the Minecraft brand name.

They're both solid games and there is much more to compare than what I wrote above. Its just that Survival Craft is much more expansive with a greater sense of exploration. Minecraft seems to turn into a constant battle of zombies and creepers spawning in your house and no caves means strip mining all the time. If I had to choose one I would choose Survival Craft.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

illBilliam posted:

Sure! Survival Craft is great. It has caves, infinite worlds, electricity, a wide variety of animals including werewolves, downloadable community content, boating, and islands in the ocean.

On the other hand, Minecraft PE has online play, fantasy mobs (zombies,etc), and...the Minecraft brand name.

They're both solid games and there is much more to compare than what I wrote above. Its just that Survival Craft is much more expansive with a greater sense of exploration. Minecraft seems to turn into a constant battle of zombies and creepers spawning in your house and no caves means strip mining all the time. If I had to choose one I would choose Survival Craft.

I would say that MCPE is absolutely not a solid game, and that it lacks many of the features that make Minecraft great on the PC with little-to-no hope that the Mojang will put in the effort to add them. SurvivalCraft is a great portable version of the PC game with a single developer that puts a lot of time and effort into constantly updating it.

I supposed you could make the argument that MCPE "does what it sets out to do", but what it sets out to do isn't really all that good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bummey posted:

Bad Piggies is a good game.

Fuckin Rovio.

Yeah even though Angry Birds' breakout into other bits of culture is stupid I don't think anyone can fault Rovio for making genuinely good games.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

:ducksiren: Dig! by Crescent Moon Games just went free. :ducksiren:

http://appshopper.com/games/dig-4

I don't know if it's good but I love endless diggers! Mother Lode, I Dig It, fuckin Dig Dug, Minecraft, whatever. if you dig, I dig.

Edit: it's kind of like Qix

For a moment, I thought you meant The Dig and now I'm sad.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I can't remember, is Ravensword: Shadowlands any good? Well, aside from the fact that the controls probably aren't great, of course.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Remember all versions of Minecraft are great until you start trying to control it. Touch screen controls do not work well.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Remember all versions of Minecraft are great until you start trying to control it. Touch screen controls do not work well.

I'd like to nominate Junk Jack as the exception to the rule here.

(Speaking about the genre, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

That kind of goes without saying for most first-person games.

• Locked thread