Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I disagree about it being academic, because something will come along and require that speed. And then Sprint will be left behind again and we'll be here again in six years. Also, faster load times are awesome. I hate staring at my phone, waiting for Yelp or Google Maps to take two minutes to even load results.

However, at SERO pricing, it's really hard to complain, even though I'm getting sub 1 Mb/s LTE in NYC. I'd be pretty steamed if I was paying full-price, especially since I'm hitting 8 Mb/s on HSPA with T-mobile phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Entire Universe posted:

The new pricing scheme brings Sprint into line with the other carriers, though. That's the problem. Sure, the difference between 2MB/s and 6 is academic, but that's operating under an assumption that Sprint's 3G post-NV will be comparable to that of the other carriers and that the LTE coverage area is equivalent, that penetration is similar, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad NV is finally hitting Omaha. I'm saying that in other areas, assuming all carriers are available with LTE, Sprint's losing the edge in pricing to T-Mobile and the billboard numbers battle to basically everyone else. Get to somewhere where NV hasn't hit AND someone like T-Mo is covering and you've got a problem. Hopefully they back off the ledge that is that lovely, lovely pricing scheme and continues to press down on prices, but with comparable speeds post-NV.

2 words

Unlimited Data

They still win if you're in an area thats not awful and or they finish upgrades.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I think people over emphasize bandwidth over latency. I'll take a rock solid 2MB/s with 60-90ms ping over 10MB/s with 150-200ms ping like I had on T-Mobile HSPA+. That low latency really makes things feel snappier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EbolaIvory posted:

2 words

Unlimited Data

They still win if you're in an area thats not awful and or they finish upgrades.

For now, that is. The pricing ad docs indicate a loss (at some point, likely measured in years) of unlimited data.

However, T-Mo has unlimited data as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

Also, when and where do you expect 10 MB/s speeds from any major carrier? Yeah, the LTE air interface is theoretically capable of that and more, but you're talking about something significantly better than even top-tier consumer wired service from most (non-FttP) carriers. And, at some point you'll start running into network stack limitations on the phone, too - because really, how the hell do you expect to use ten megabytes of data per second on a phone?

ATT ans Verizon both regularly hit over 10MB speeds. My usual ATT speed is actually 20+ when on LTE, which is most of where I go now a days. It's nice because as saturation of people hits, it at least won't go down too far in speed (in theory of course). It's also night and day coverage from Sprints network.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT ans Verizon both regularly hit over 10MB speeds. My usual ATT speed is actually 20+ when on LTE, which is most of where I go now a days. It's nice because as saturation of people hits, it at least won't go down too far in speed (in theory of course). It's also night and day coverage from Sprints network.

Space gopher was talking about megabytes per second, but I'm pretty sure the comment he quoted was talking about megabits so the point is moot.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I just spent a week and a half in Orlando, and all I can say is that I'm glad Disney has free wifi all over the drat place. Without that, my phone wouldn't have lasted half a day. I know this, because Universal does not have free wifi all over the drat place, and my phone didn't last half a day.

Also, while on vacation, my brand new Samsung-branded 32 GB microSD card was "unexpectedly removed" according to my phone. So much for the theory that it was a problem with my last SD card. Powering off and reseating the card seems to have resolved the issue for now (just as it usually did with the last one), but that's really frustrating...

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I'm surprised the coverage still sucks around Orlando. There was very spotty 4g around there back in January when I drove around the city. Yet just before I moved at the end of May I was getting good 4g coverage in Melbourne/Palm Bay area where I lived.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

When I had 4G, it was great. Got about 15-20 meg down. But in and around the theme parks? Forget it. Universal was by far the worst, and I just ended up putting my phone in airplane mode most of the time I was there.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

brc64 posted:

Also, while on vacation, my brand new Samsung-branded 32 GB microSD card was "unexpectedly removed" according to my phone. So much for the theory that it was a problem with my last SD card. Powering off and reseating the card seems to have resolved the issue for now (just as it usually did with the last one), but that's really frustrating...
Was your phone really hot when it happened?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

PurpleButterfly posted:

That's... an interesting choice of sites. When I get back into town, I am so going to go hang out at the B&N Cafe just to see if I can get 4G on my phone. Maybe it'll boost business at that location :v:

Welp, I just strolled through the B&N and the mall with my S2, and it never picked up a 4G signal. :smith: Sorry, Omaha goons.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

PurpleButterfly posted:

Welp, I just strolled through the B&N and the mall with my S2, and it never picked up a 4G signal. :smith: Sorry, Omaha goons.

You have an S2? You won't get LTE anywhere ever, that's a WiMax phone.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

You have an S2? You won't get LTE anywhere ever, that's a WiMax phone.

:doh: Thank you; I did not know that, and now I wish I had known that this thread existed back when I got it. Edit: ...because if I had know that there were two separate technologies (LTE and WiMax) at the time, I would have gone ahead and gotten an S3 instead.

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 28, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleButterfly posted:

:doh: Thank you; I did not know that, and now I wish I had known that this thread existed back when I got it. Edit: ...because if I had know that there were two separate technologies (LTE and WiMax) at the time, I would have gone ahead and gotten an S3 instead.

See if Sprint will let you upgrade or cancel due to having a WiMax phone, they were doing that for a bit.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Allaniis posted:

Was your phone really hot when it happened?

I don't know, but it's doubtful. It happened while it was charging overnight. Nothing unusual going on at the time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PurpleButterfly posted:

S2's a wimax phone. If they haven't shut it off you'll get spotty 4G by Westroads and MAYBE the zoo.

My girlfriend's GNex was picking up a solid 4G signal at five guys burgers, but it was gone by the time we hit 90th. Browsing was comparable to HSPA+ on my N4, but no speed tests were done.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

brc64 posted:

I don't know, but it's doubtful. It happened while it was charging overnight. Nothing unusual going on at the time.
When the microsd card dismounted for me, my phone was boiling and wouldn't recognize any SD card without it cooling down. I was just seeing if there was a common factor, but back to the drawing board.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
If any Seattle goons are interested, I got a really solid LTE signal in SODO on Friday, was getting ~22mbps down!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Approximately 2,500 updated sites since our last status update: Shentel (245), Minnesota (139), Nashville (89), West Michigan (80), Atlanta/Athens (64), Miami/West Palm (60), East Michigan (56), Kansas (56), New Orleans (56), Charlotte (51), Jacksonville (51), Oregon/SW Washington (48), Memphis (46), Orlando (45), Cincinnati (42), Boston (41), Riverside/San Bernardino (41), Houston (40), San Diego (40), Missouri (38), Tampa (38), Milwaukee (36), New York City (36), Northern Jersey (36), South Carolina (35), LA Metro (34), Philadelphia Metro (33), Pittsburgh (33), Raleigh/Durham (33), Austin (32), Cleveland (32), Chicago (30), Orange County (30), SF Bay (30), Arkansas (29), Colorado (29), Georgia (27), DFW (26), Mississippi (26), West Washington (26), Las Vegas (23), Oklahoma (23), Columbus (21), San Antonio (19), West Texas (19), Central Jersey (18), Central Pennsylvania (18), Louisiana (17), Phoenix (17), South Texas (17), Utah (17), Washington DC (17), GA/SC Coast (16), South West Florida (16), Southern Jersey (16), East Kentucky (15), Alabama (14), Southern Connecticut (14), Upstate NY East (13), East Texas (12), Rochester (12), Upper Central Valley (12), Upstate NY Central (11), Lower Central Valley (10), South Bay (10), Providence (9), Tucson/Yuma (9), Winston/Salem (9), Albuquerque (7), Idaho (7), Indianapolis (7), Inland Northwest (7), North Wisconsin (7), VT/NH/ME (7), Central Illinois (6), Gulf Coast (6), Myrtle Beach (6), Norfolk (6), West Iowa/Nebraska (6), West Kentucky (6), Baltimore (5), Delaware (5), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (5), Northern Connecticut (4), Central Iowa (3), Long Island (3), Hawaii (1), Richmond (1), The Panhandle (1), Toledo (1).

Highlights this update: First sites accepted in the Central Iowa and Hawaii markets. First LTE sites accepted in the Utah, Cincinnati, VT/NH/ME, Central Pennsylvania, Upstate NY Central, Upstate NY East, South Carolina and Myrtle Beach markets.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I hit a really small pocket of 4G in Salt Lake City a few days ago.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
At my Sprint store (Ft Wright, KY), LTE just kicked in. I'm getting 7-11 megabits on Speedtest.

No idea if it'll last, it just suddenly came on. I noticed while activating a customer's S4, it didn't drop back to 3G.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'm up for an upgrade this August and can't wait to replace my epic 4g touch. Are there any phones to hold out for, or should I go to a sprint store and see if I like the S4 or One better?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raej posted:

I'm up for an upgrade this August and can't wait to replace my epic 4g touch. Are there any phones to hold out for, or should I go to a sprint store and see if I like the S4 or One better?

Main phone coming out next is the new iPhone and maybe a new Galaxy Note. So that just depends on your preference.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Good to know. Hopefully I can get the S4 or One for cheap then.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

A thought just occurred to me. They're gonna use Black Friday to try and sell off their remaining stock of regular SGS4s and Ones before the tri-band-LTE ones are released at the end of the year.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Has it been confirmed Sprint is getting a trip band sgs4 and One? It would be pretty stupid to liquidate their stock just so they could release an identical phone with more bands. It would make more sense to just release the Note 3.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

How big of a deal are tri-band phones? I've been sitting on an upgrade for a long time now, and I'm starting to think it's time to use it, but if tri-band is a big deal, I can wait longer.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, tri-band-LTE phones were announced at CES 2013 back in January, with other Sprint employees confirming it later in the year.

And no, it's not really a big deal to buy one at this moment. LTE-800 and LTE-2500 aren't going live anytime soon. Fully-upgraded Sprint Network Vision towers don't even have the ability to broadcast on 2500. They'd have to go around to each tower again and add yet another antenna. So initially it'll just be random ClearWire towers just like how WiMAX is currently deployed.

Nobody knows when LTE-800 might start going live though. Could be relatively soon, as Sprint has already released tri-band-LTE USB modems[1].

For now, I'm advising my friends to just buy regular SGS4s now and then flip them later on if they want a tri-band phone.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So my HTC One has developed a portion of the screen that doesn't respond to touch input, and I've been very careful with it. The guys at the crappy reseller Sprint store told me to send it back to HTC (really??) for a warranty claim, I have insurance, but don't really want to drop $100 on something that should be a swap and go thing as this phone has only been out a few months, and this is definitely a manufacturer defect. What should I do to get it replaced?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Old Man Pants posted:

So my HTC One has developed a portion of the screen that doesn't respond to touch input, and I've been very careful with it. The guys at the crappy reseller Sprint store told me to send it back to HTC (really??) for a warranty claim, I have insurance, but don't really want to drop $100 on something that should be a swap and go thing as this phone has only been out a few months, and this is definitely a manufacturer defect. What should I do to get it replaced?

If you have TEP you should be able to swap it via a Sprint repair center, do go to one of those. Corp owned if possible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Speed test results show my N4's NET10 (ATT) HSPA+ hitting 4.5mbps, my girlfriend's Sprint GN gets 1.2mbps on 3G and 14mbps on LTE.

This was at the Tea Smith at 78th and Cass in Omaha at like 7:30pm yesterday. It bears noting that 1.2mbps is the fastest I have ever seen Sprint's 3G going, so there may be something to this NV stuff when it gets finished.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here looking for a Galaxy S4 on Sprint, mine is currently at $380 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251310545391?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here looking for a Galaxy S4 on Sprint, mine is currently at $380 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251310545391?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
My heart says yes, but my wallet and brain says no. :(

Is there a way to toggle 4G on and off on a S3 without a reboot? I've been searching for a widget/app to do it, because my work location switches to lovely 4G, even though the 3G is much better.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Allaniis posted:

Is there a way to toggle 4G on and off on a S3 without a reboot? I've been searching for a widget/app to do it, because my work location switches to lovely 4G, even though the 3G is much better.

There should be some way to manage the radios so it goes solely CDMA or CDMA/LTE. I forget how to get to it though :(

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Log press the Mobile data toggle in the tray, change network mode. I think that's what does it.

e: Derp, that apparently requires a reboot. I'm a dumb.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Old Man Pants posted:

To be fair most resellers can't do an exchange out-of-stock, and they were probably trying to give you the cheapest solution without sending you to corporate.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Allaniis posted:

If you're rooted give this a shot.

1). Dialer code ##DATA#
2). Press 'Edit', with the 'Enter MSL' field empty, press OK only ONCE.
3). Use terminal emulator and type "su" and then "getprop ril.MSL", this should get you your 6 digit MSL.
4). Go back to Data Edit screen and enter MSL you acquired from Terminal.
5). Scroll down to LTE and go in to that menu. Then select LTE enabled/disabled.

I'm sure there's an easier way but this is the only way I've found so far, besides running a custom ROM, on TouchWiz based ROMs that doesn't force your phone to reboot when you toggle your radio type.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

lol how the gently caress did this sell for $700? That's above full retail. Nice work.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

lol how the gently caress did this sell for $700? That's above full retail. Nice work.

It's a new ebay memeber! Prepare to ship to Nigeria for a $2000 check. Please return the extra with the item!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I know carriers use SMS to send voicemail alerts to your phone (Which you don't actually see) but do carriers use SMS for any other alerts? My pebble watch picked up a SMS from a 5 digit number that had the words "you have voicemail" in it along with a string of characters and numbers. My EVO LTE showed no messages or anything. I checked my google voice and Sprint VM which were both empty. I got worried for a second thinking that my google voice got messed up and had everything routing back to my sprint VM. What happened?