Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

kingturnip posted:

How do you deal with a problem like Skotland?

Typical that the first Queen was 'Attractive', with a Diplomacy score over 20. :rolleyes:
By that point, there really weren't many people I could invite to the plot.

That looks like the title history of any title of significance when I play the Game of Thrones mod. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Here's a mod to allow all of the game's music all the time: http://www.dragoninstall.com/junk/AllMusic-v2.7z

Though if anyone has any additional music that fits well with the game I'd be all over that.

VIET has a compilation of free music packs that is completely independent from the actual mod.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sam. posted:

Maybe a missing bracket somewhere? This program will check for errors.

'Illegal Closing Bracket' for the 'Adventurers' file. Fine, I can live with that. WHERE? There's lots of brackets in nonsensical places as with all Event files. I'm still left with nowhere to start.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

VIET has a compilation of free music packs that is completely independent from the actual mod.

Nifty, just was I was looking for, thanks.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rurik posted:

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that schism is unmendable. The Catholics and the Orthodox would "only" have to agree on theological issues. The Shiite on the other hand think the Sunni stole the Caliphate from Ali (and later killed him?) There is simply nothing that can be done anymore.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Step 1: Control all Shiite/Sunni holy sites.
Step 2: Using their holy powers, invoke the will of God to summon a temporal rift.
Step 3: Travel back in time, prevent the Sunni/Shiite rift from occurring in the first place.
Step 4: Return to present; Islam united. Schism mended. :)
Step 5: Ignore predestination paradox.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Here's a mod to allow all of the game's music all the time: http://www.dragoninstall.com/junk/AllMusic-v2.7z

Though if anyone has any additional music that fits well with the game I'd be all over that.

I really just want to know what song is what, and what did I pay for. Mixing them all together would just make it worse!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I have some newbie questions about when it switches the character you control.

Playing Ireland, I tried to imprison my heir, he was plotting against a younger son and the heir had a diplomacy score of 0 so I figured it was a good chance to get rid of him. He escaped to somewhere in Castille, where his wife was from. I sorta just ignored him because Castille was a mess at this point, losing to the Muslims. Eventually, my King dies and the Heir inherits. I don't want to play as him and no one in Ireland likes him. Pretty quickly one of the dukes forms a faction to bring one of my old King's other sons to power. I ignore the faction because I like the other son a lot more. He eventually declares me a Pretender and I step down thinking I'll play as the new brother, but I didn't.

Why didn't it switch? Was it because I was still alive? Is there a way to commit suicide? If I had a son would I play him instead of the brother if I died? I would have killed my heir sooner, but no one in Castille was down to plot against him.

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bloodly posted:

'Illegal Closing Bracket' for the 'Adventurers' file. Fine, I can live with that. WHERE? There's lots of brackets in nonsensical places as with all Event files. I'm still left with nowhere to start.

If you have Notepad++ (and if you don't, why not?), it should be able to check opening brackets against their closing brackets (at the very least it makes it a lot easier to find where a problem might be).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

elf help book posted:

I really just want to know what song is what, and what did I pay for. Mixing them all together would just make it worse!

Oh, you can just open up the DLC zip files and the songs are labeled in there!

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

A few questions for the modders out there:

Can the once per lifetime limit on changing a Crown or Succession Law be modded, or is it hardcoded?
If you load two mods, and they both change the same file (e.g common/job_titles.txt) how does the game decide which copy it will use?
Regarding dependencies in the .mod file: can they be nested? For example, can I make it so that mod X is dependent on mod Y, while mod Y is itself dependent on mod Z?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh, you can just open up the DLC zip files and the songs are labeled in there!

Cool, thanks.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Beamed posted:

I would honestly love if there were some way to actually do that, similar to the Orthodox/Catholicism one.

I sort of did- well, I at least banished the guy and took his titles. I sort of perma-killed the Shiite and very soon they will be completely off the map- I'm not sure if the Shiite Caliphate was one of the Dynasties I completely killed, but if it was, then that makes sense as to why I hold both titles.

Its of no point though, for I have converted all followers or sent them to meet God himself if they still needed more proof.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I thought someone mentioned that you can reform heresies but I became Waldensian and it says there's no special mechanics or reformation. Is it just them you can't reform or all of them?

Have Rome and crushed a major revolt right before I turned so I was able to convert pretty much all my vassals and my court with the 50+ relations from the rebellion. I'd hate to give up on a good start to destroying Catholicism but I'd like to be able to export into eu4 and not be a pagan.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Trujillo posted:

I thought someone mentioned that you can reform heresies but I became Waldensian and it says there's no special mechanics or reformation. Is it just them you can't reform or all of them?

Have Rome and crushed a major revolt right before I turned so I was able to convert pretty much all my vassals and my court with the 50+ relations from the rebellion. I'd hate to give up on a good start to destroying Catholicism but I'd like to be able to export into eu4 and not be a pagan.

Reforming is only for pagans - it removes penalties like not being able to raise crown authority or demand that your vassals convert. Catholic heretics aren't pagans and don't have those penalties to begin with.

I think the devs have said that heretics will just get converted into the base religion in EU4.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

ImPureAwesome posted:

Playing Ireland, I tried to imprison my heir, he was plotting against a younger son and the heir had a diplomacy score of 0 so I figured it was a good chance to get rid of him. He escaped to somewhere in Castille, where his wife was from. I sorta just ignored him because Castille was a mess at this point, losing to the Muslims. Eventually, my King dies and the Heir inherits. I don't want to play as him and no one in Ireland likes him. Pretty quickly one of the dukes forms a faction to bring one of my old King's other sons to power. I ignore the faction because I like the other son a lot more. He eventually declares me a Pretender and I step down thinking I'll play as the new brother, but I didn't.

Why didn't it switch? Was it because I was still alive? Is there a way to commit suicide? If I had a son would I play him instead of the brother if I died? I would have killed my heir sooner, but no one in Castille was down to plot against him.

You can commit suicide if your character is depressed. It's an option in the intrigue menu.

Otherwise, you can commit suicide in a gamey fashion by dismissing your spymaster and then trying to assassinate some bigshot like the Kaiser and hope that you are discovered and he tries to have you killed in retribution.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
or you could just cheat

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

...How frustrating. Because naturally I put the first and only Trading Post I'm permitted in my home province to keep from anyone else taking it(Also the cheapest).

You should be able to press claims for your Patricians to get them the city where their trade posts are located as well. The downside is that it makes them more powerful, but it will also make your republic stronger too.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

jpmeyer posted:

You can commit suicide if your character is depressed. It's an option in the intrigue menu.

Otherwise, you can commit suicide in a gamey fashion by dismissing your spymaster and then trying to assassinate some bigshot like the Kaiser and hope that you are discovered and he tries to have you killed in retribution.
Would suicide switch me to the new king? Or would it switch to my lovely dude's son? Should I kill off both?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

or you could just cheat

I guess, but I'd prefer just to understand the system better if possible before resorting to cheating. It seems like a pretty basic but important mechanic to understand.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Would suicide switch me to the new king? Or would it switch to my lovely dude's son? Should I kill off both?

You'd play as your heir, which in this case sounds like it would be your son. You could try switching your duchy's succession law to elective and designating the king as your heir (since he's from your dynasty).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trujillo posted:

You'll convert in Catholicism in the base converter, from the sounds of it, but if you're willing to wait ~48 hours or so after release, I'm sure someone will have whipped up a mod so that Catholic heresies import as 'sub' religions similar to protestantism.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Non Sequitur posted:

You'd play as your heir, which in this case sounds like it would be your son. You could try switching your duchy's succession law to elective and designating the king as your heir (since he's from your dynasty).

Oh, that sounds a good idea. I didn't know Duke's could have different succession laws than the kingdom's, I haven't tried playing anything but the ruler yet. Does it automatically switch back once the king inherits, or at that point I don't care because it wouldn't be my concern as King again?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Trujillo posted:

I made a mod that lets you do it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&userid=123724&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post417816211

It *should* be compatible with any save game you've already got, but I'd back it up just to be safe

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

Oh, that sounds a good idea. I didn't know Duke's could have different succession laws than the kingdom's, I haven't tried playing anything but the ruler yet. Does it automatically switch back once the king inherits, or at that point I don't care because it wouldn't be my concern as King again?

If you really want to play as the other character, you could always just select them when you load the save game. Or is there a reason you don't want to do that?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah, the key thing to remember is you are playing the character, not the title. You abdicated your title, but since you're alive you still play as the same character.

Honestly if you hate your character that much you can just switch to your cooler brother. He's of your Dynasty so it isn't exactly 'cheating', just gamey. You can change the character you're playing when you load a game just like when you start a new game.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

londonmoose posted:

If you really want to play as the other character, you could always just select them when you load the save game. Or is there a reason you don't want to do that?

No, not really, I'm just trying to treat it as a learning experience and better understand mechanics and stuff.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Allyn posted:

I made a mod that lets you do it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&userid=123724&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post417816211

It *should* be compatible with any save game you've already got, but I'd back it up just to be safe

Ah thanks! I probably won't even be able to reach 80% moral authority but it's good to have the option.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Anyone know how to solve this problem?

My awesome heir was born in his fathers court while the current empress was just a princess, so after I finished educating him he travelled back to his father, and now I can't decide who he marries. :argh:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Hope that he doesn't marry matrilinially, that poo poo could kill a run.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nightblade posted:

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

My awesome heir was born in his fathers court while the current empress was just a princess, so after I finished educating him he travelled back to his father, and now I can't decide who he marries. :argh:
Unland the father. Or give him a title and tag over.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Succession laws are tied to titles, not to characters. So setting your duchy's (I'm assuming you're a Duke, since you lost the kingdom title to your brother but still have some land) laws to elective won't change the kingdom's succession rules. Once you die and you start playing as your brother the king, his heir will continue to be whoever the kingdom's laws says it should be (probably his oldest son).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Unland the father. Or give him a title and tag over.

Ah, yes, that should work. Thank you.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Non Sequitur posted:

Succession laws are tied to titles, not to characters. So setting your duchy's (I'm assuming you're a Duke, since you lost the kingdom title to your brother but still have some land) laws to elective won't change the kingdom's succession rules. Once you die and you start playing as your brother the king, his heir will continue to be whoever the kingdom's laws says it should be (probably his oldest son).

That makes sense, thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is it me, or are the reformed pagan Holy War CBs ridiculous? I seem to have a valid CB on every Christian kingdom out there. I don't even know what to do with this.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So Hellenism faith or whatever, I've yet to find it in game other than character creator. This is probably stupid but anyone want to explain to me why its awesome, bad, or a lost opportunity?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rapdawg posted:

So Hellenism faith or whatever, I've yet to find it in game other than character creator. This is probably stupid but anyone want to explain to me why its awesome, bad, or a lost opportunity?

So far it isn't any of those; it was added in for mod support, if memory serves.

That said, the Aztec religion was added in a while before Sunset Invasion came out, so...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I ... I have no idea where I should ask this question, so I might as well ask here, since there ought to be plenty of people familiar with Feudal inheritance laws in this thread.

I'm writing an alternate history sort of story where America is a feudal monarchy - the Kingdom of Columbia :911: - currently ruled by the Bush Dynasty. In this alternate history, George H. W. Bush (George II) died of "natural causes" in 2000, leaving the throne to his eldest son, George W. (George III). My question concerns what would happen if, assuming that Columbia runs on primogeniture, Dubya were to die before fathering a male heir? It depends on whether it's Agnatic-Cognatic or Agnatic -- if it's Ag-Cog, then Barbara P. Bush, the elder of the Bush Twins, would become Queen. However, if it's Agnatic, would it pass to Jeb?

The dispute over who has the right to the throne is going to be one of the central plot points. I just need to figure out who would get claims to the throne in this case.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is Paradox doing some kind of special today? I just woke up this morning with an extra copy of CK2 in my steam inventory.

Now I own four copies of the game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sheep posted:

Is Paradox doing some kind of special today? I just woke up this morning with an extra copy of CK2 in my steam inventory.

Now I own four copies of the game.

Did you preorder EU4 per chance?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DrSunshine posted:

I ... I have no idea where I should ask this question, so I might as well ask here, since there ought to be plenty of people familiar with Feudal inheritance laws in this thread.

I'm writing an alternate history sort of story where America is a feudal monarchy - the Kingdom of Columbia :911: - currently ruled by the Bush Dynasty. In this alternate history, George H. W. Bush (George II) died of "natural causes" in 2000, leaving the throne to his eldest son, George W. (George III). My question concerns what would happen if, assuming that Columbia runs on primogeniture, Dubya were to die before fathering a male heir? It depends on whether it's Agnatic-Cognatic or Agnatic -- if it's Ag-Cog, then Barbara P. Bush, the elder of the Bush Twins, would become Queen. However, if it's Agnatic, would it pass to Jeb?

The dispute over who has the right to the throne is going to be one of the central plot points. I just need to figure out who would get claims to the throne in this case.

If George III died without any legitimate heirs, it would legally go to George II's second son, Jeb, assuming male-only inheritance. However any other of George III's brothers could make a decent case for getting the throne, especially if there were political concerns around Jeb becoming king. In the event of mass Bush die-off, they'd start looking George II's brothers or cousins, nephews, etc depending on political concerns. (I'm dealing purely in hypothetical Bushes, I don't actually know anything about their family tree).

Though also while the strength of your claim might matter legally or politically, William of Normandy got to be King of England because he had a weak claim and a big fuckoff army.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So far it isn't any of those; it was added in for mod support, if memory serves.

That said, the Aztec religion was added in a while before Sunset Invasion came out, so...
No, it was just added so that former Roman Emperors in the title history wouldn't show up as 'pagan'.

The Aztec religion wasn't added, just a symbol.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 3, 2013

• Locked thread