Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Sanguinary Novel posted:

My secret contact planted in Something Awful HQ has sent me this:

SIMON: "Whot tha fock?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, I just learned Super Mario 64 / Nintendo Nightmare is actually a tremendously long and complex game. Some other guy has a twitch playthrough of it, broken into four parts, and it's like three hours long and weird as all hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmJbhjTGCr4

Skip around to random points in those four videos and experience a strange sense of awe at the overwhelming amount of time and effort the creator put into this whole thing.

Boombox Jackson
Nov 3, 2008
http://www.mediafire.com/?y655d73rffnnm0p

This is a game based on the same series as the SCP poopy bloody baby game. It doesn't have any poopy blood babies but it does have an unnecessary amount of stairs.

Boombox Jackson fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 2, 2013

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

You can watch an interview with the developer here.

http://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce/b/435787342

It was made by a 16 year old kid in 2007, over the course of two years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's actually kind of impressive, in the same way that that Family Guy Warhammer comic that's like 500 pages long is impressive. I mean, I've never devoted that much time or energy into anything in my life, but the fact that they spent thousands of hours of their life on what amounts to a pile of garbage is kind of admirable :shobon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lots of these games remind me of outsider art. Especially the crazy dolphin one and this Mario... thing.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

The pink ones are also Bob-ombs. So arguably it is just a straight-up race war.
Fun fact: All black Bob-ombs are suicide bombers.

GJ, Shigsy.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Ugh, that other guy spent five hours playing Nintendo Nightmare and he wasn't close to being finished.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/83379-nintendo-nightmare/reviews/33987

What the hell?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh so he had a problem with the graphics? Oh well that explains everything!
Did a real live person even write that, or did some dude's cat roll across his keyboard a few times? I refuse to believe an actual person wrote that.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

It didn't stop the game's creator replying "Thank you for the review (but you should have given the graphics 5 stars)"

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I suspect it's a machine translation.

Lost Generation posted:

It didn't stop the game's creator replying "Thank you for the review (but you should have given the graphics 5 stars)"

No, the game creator thanked him for the long review. That's just some random dude.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Sanguinary Novel posted:

My secret contact planted in Something Awful HQ has sent me this:

The cap won't budge.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
What seemed bad at first was actually very bad. 4/5

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

:allears: Best part is this kid has a ton of PewDurPoe videos liked.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Croccers posted:

That should go in the next tribute video.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Croccers posted:

Is he outraged that you are getting free games for free? And what exactly is a "fake game"? Is it just an .exe that won't ever run?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

Is he outraged that you are getting free games for free? And what exactly is a "fake game"? Is it just an .exe that won't ever run?

It's an .exe that throws up a splash screen for a game...
And ends up being Microsoft Office Excel.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Serperoth posted:

EVE Online is a real game you idiot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Serperoth posted:

Funny enough, for a lot of Microsoft Office products, that works backwards.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PrinceRandom posted:

Is he outraged that you are getting free games for free?

"This guy is some fatcat internet insider, he have connections in the industry and he get all this games for free. Unsubscribing!"

Actually I think his angle, if you can call it an angle, is that Lowtax doesn't own or play any games that he didn't get for free. I guess that's what he's implying, it's a little hard to tell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lowtax posted:

SUPER MARIO 64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtX-kDqHHqs

Mario as you've never wanted to see him.

This game owns actually.

Edit: You should change the thread title to Let's Play Art Brut

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 2, 2013

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

scary ghost dog posted:

This game owns actually.

Edit: You should change the thread title to Let's Play Art Brut
It's terrible and absolutely no fun to play, but drat a lot of time and dedication was put into making it. Like I said, I gotta give the dude credit for effort, but still it's a painful game to play.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It had both Content and Progression, two features games like Exploration Nation seem to be missing.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Brother Jonathan posted:

It had a surprising amount of blood for a Mario game.

Look, we ALL know that when Mario jumps on a Goomba, he's really splattering its innards all over the place. We all know that that Goomba's got a wife and kids he's just trying to support, and Mario's joyous murder has set them all on a life of destitution. This game's just keeping it real, alright? It's not treating us like little baby children playing a game made to appeal to their sheltered little minds.

Also, Mario has three penises. FACT.

vvv Dedication is not correlated to competence.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2013

Ze Tiger
Aug 2, 2013
Jesus Christ, the more I look at that 'Super Mario' game the more I'm convinced that it's some kind of abstract 'high art' thing. It's got just enough 'surreal' and 'unsettling' elements that those modern types love so much to make me wonder. There's no way someone could've unironically spent that much time and effort on something so incredibly piss poor for so long without ever thinking once that this could stand to be a little bit better... right?

I don't know, it's probably just some dumb kid with too much time on his hands but I've seen way crazier stuff done in the name of 'art' so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Ze Tiger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ze Tiger posted:

Jesus Christ, the more I look at that 'Super Mario' game the more I'm convinced that it's some kind of abstract 'high art' thing. It's got just enough 'surreal' and 'unsettling' elements that those modern types love so much to make me wonder. There's no way someone could've unironically spent that much time and effort on something so incredibly piss poor for so long without ever thinking once that this stand to be a little bit better... right?

I don't know, it's probably just some dumb kid with too much time on his hands but I've seen way crazier stuff done in the name of 'art' so it wouldn't surprise me at all.
I briefly considered that, but discounted it because the core mechanics are so unbearably terrible (camera, movement, sound, everything).

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Super Mario 64? More like Super Mario Sixty-SNORE, heh. :smug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Do it, Lowtax. Explore the new nation

Ze Tiger
Aug 2, 2013

Lowtax posted:

I briefly considered that, but discounted it because the core mechanics are so unbearably terrible (camera, movement, sound, everything).

Yeah, the fact that it's unplayable in nearly every form really shoves a nail in that theory but I've seen people theorize that making something intentionally bad in all forms leaves a more intense 'mark' on the 'audience' and immerses them in the surreality. Does that make it any more likely? Not really!

Contentwise, Psy Hazard is pretty loving bad. It's like Resident Evil if Resident Evil was programmed by even worse chimps. I could barely last a minute. The PAIN 'meter' is what finally did it for me. Makes Trespasser's boob heart look like a stroke of genius.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Do it, Lowtax. Explore the new nation

I checked it out and its just the same map with a bunch of hills.

From the games Game Jolt page

So I guess he's trying to make a 12 year old's version of Dear Esther

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I highly recommend Mariodoom. It's the real deal.

http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=23867

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

quakster posted:

I highly recommend Mariodoom. It's the real deal.

http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=23867

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I like when Lowtax plays games with original material. Dontrel the Dolphin would not have been as amazing if it were a Mario sprite.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I agree, creatively insane material is way more interesting than sprite rips.

Too bad I've only got one link left. :gonk::hf::shepface:

http://tfgamessite.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Are you a bad enough dude to wallow in the depravity of your fellow man?

Edit: While this happened, a midi version of What's new, pussycat? played on the background.

I just don't understand.

quakster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 2, 2013

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

That Mario 64 game is exactly like something I'd make in Klik n Play when I was 12-years old.

Speaking of Klik n Play, are we ever gonna see Lowtax cover Klik n Play classics like Bubba in the Turd Dimension or The Legend of Smelda: Macarena of Time? Can't let Game Maker and Unity abominations hog all the spotlight.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quakster posted:

I just don't understand.
I'm not sure that we're quite ready for bestiality RPGs.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay, I tried to take the scarecam concept to its next logical progression:

Let's play: real life (WITH SCARECAM!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQCDxfv1SY

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lowtax posted:

You should try again and visit that yellow barn.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

This is the worst thing in Game Maker yet. For gently caress's sake, Dontrel the Dolphin had better graphics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

Should have ended with the official unveiling of the much-anticipated Something Awful® Beer™. Disliked and unsubbed.

• Locked thread