Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GenericRX posted:

If you're starting another game of Warsaw to Paris I could take a minor role, I'm not very good.

Don't worry, none of us are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

uPen posted:

Don't worry, none of us are.

Reassuring! I just don't want the pressure of actually being useful - something like the Slovakian Army in Case White is more my ability.

Also, in the Case Yellow scenario, is Manstein's attack not simulated? It only shows the Belgian border.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

GenericRX posted:

Reassuring! I just don't want the pressure of actually being useful - something like the Slovakian Army in Case White is more my ability.

Also, in the Case Yellow scenario, is Manstein's attack not simulated? It only shows the Belgian border.

No, it should all be there. There are actually neat variants to cancel the plan or allow both sides to use free set-up.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Yeah, I'd like to get in on one of the DC:WtP games if only so I can finally learn how to play the thing well (or at all really). Plus, commanding a smaller part of the army seems more my speed anyway since when I started Case Yellow I closed it after one turn of moving the ridiculous number of counters.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackmongoose posted:

Yeah, I'd like to get in on one of the DC:WtP games if only so I can finally learn how to play the thing well (or at all really). Plus, commanding a smaller part of the army seems more my speed anyway since when I started Case Yellow I closed it after one turn of moving the ridiculous number of counters.

Ditto on my part. Is this the version I would need to buy?

I noticed the game uses event cards, is it akin to theater options in TOAW?

Fake Edit:

Just wanted to mention that I've really been enjoying Battle Academy's Operation Sealion expansion, lots of fun defensive missions and even some enjoyable Auxiliary unit missions. iPad version has been helping me pass the time on my commute a lot recently. Debating which one to get next.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gfanikf posted:

Ditto on my part. Is this the version I would need to buy?

I noticed the game uses event cards, is it akin to theater options in TOAW?

Yes, that's the correct one.

The event cards are only sometimes like TOAW's theater options: You have big, (alt) historical options such as flooding the Dutch polder, but most of it are army-level cards such as boosting your tank attacks for 1 turn or making your troops move slightly faster.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I'm going to try this Decisive Campaigns game. I like the idea of event cards and the graphics hit that 2D sweet spot, at least better than most of these other games do. I would probably be down for a goon game with the caveat whoever I play is probably going to be comically inept.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Decisive Campaigns Comically Inept Battalion reporting in as ordered!~

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
What happens when us newbies fight each other? It's just going to be catastrophe after catastrophe, I tell you. :ohdear:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Given how the last two games have gone, it certainly has been a catastrophe for some of us.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So its not much but shrapnel games is having a sale. http://www.gamersfront.com/store/hot_sale.html

I'm eyeing war plan pacific but the demo wouldn't run on my pc so I dunno.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love their retarded marketing graphics. Hell yes close ups of pixelated crap sure makes me excited about war games.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alchenar posted:

To be clear: I'm sure that the blurriness is a problem with my system setup, but that doesn't really excuse white-on-white text choices.

e: I also have the urge to play some Close Combat: Cross of Iron if anyone's up for it.

I am still up for playing you in Cross of Iron, you should really buy PMs, or post your email and stuff on the spreadsheet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
BBC has an article on HG Wells' Little Wars.

Games Workshop, eat your heart out:

quote:

Phil Barker says: "Combat was based on shooting solid projectiles at the figures. Today, this would be discouraged because of the risk of someone getting a projectile in the eye, but it was the chance of damage to the finish of lovingly home-painted figures that led to the switch to less lethal dice."

Wells was not bothered by casualties to his soldiers. He fired inch-long wooden dowels from his favourite toy cannons, models of 4.7in (120mm) naval guns, and they could take the head off a fragile hollow-cast lead soldier.
:gibs:

quote:

"You only have to play at Little Wars three or four times to realise just what a blundering thing Great War must be," wrote Wells.
Could wargame designers be eligible for a Nobel Peace Prize?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've written up my plan from the current Warsaw to Paris PBEM. These screenshots are from the start of my second turn and they detail my initial dispositions and plan.

In the North:

In the Centre:

In the South:

e: typo instantly spotted in my MS Paint skills, the objective of my troops is always to defend Warsaw, not Moscow :v:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Think I'm gonna grab Case Blue to get in on the goon game. Also thoughts on Germany at War? Worth it?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse posted:

Think I'm gonna grab Case Blue to get in on the goon game. Also thoughts on Germany at War? Worth it?

There is no team play in Case Blue, the only options are 1v1's.

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

Nenonen posted:

HG Wells' Little Wars....

That is awesome!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/new-games-coming-from-the-slitherine-group-part-1.htm

News from Slitherine and Matrix.

quote:

The group has experienced 480% growth over the last three years, and a chain of Matrix retail stores will be opening in Europe in a few months, McNeil said, noting “The niche market is not shrinking, it is expanding exponentially. We like niche. We are more like a one-to-one with our audience, and are able to engage them and keep them updated with new information”

Retail ? What ?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

So they can charge even more to cover the overhead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mllaneza posted:

Retail ? What ?

Because clearly the PC gaming industry is moving towards more boxed sales.

The moment Matrix gets an actual competitor distributing wargames, they will just utterly collapse.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Matrix have now discovered the innovation of paying commercial rents and retail staff salaries.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If a matrix store ever opens near me I will buy all my games from there just so they make less money off it.

e:

quote:

iOS games often outsell PC versions by 10:1, he reported.

Of course this couldn't be because the iOS games cost 5x less than their pc counterparts.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm sort of picturing a Matrix 'store' as buying a board/hobby/Magic Card shop and keeping it all the same, but adding a shelf of computer games and changing the store sign?

I'm sort of... baffled by this too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I picture their retail stores being some guy selling boxes with titles scrawled on them in sharpie out of the back of a box truck in a parking lot.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I got war plan pacific from that "sale" that I posted and I really enjoy the game. Sort of like a grand campaign version of carriers at war. Sort of wish it was slightly more detailed and had destroyers and subs and refits of ships but then it might take away from its great simplicity.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Jakse posted:

Speaking of goon game, how is the current Warsaw to Paris one going? Would anyone want to do Case Yellow after, it seems to have the most possible players.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GenericRX posted:

Speaking of goon game, how is the current Warsaw to Paris one going? Would anyone want to do Case Yellow after, it seems to have the most possible players.

We have failed the Fatherland :negative:

And yeah, I'd definitely be in for a Case Yellow game, although someone else besides Netherlands this time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GenericRX posted:

We are literally on the last couple of players of the last day, should be finished and setting up the next game around the weekend.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I'm still in for the next one. Really thought we could pull this off, but by goon schedule we should be in Warsaw right around the US entry to the war. Case Yellow actually only has 6(7). Army Group A, B, OKH (just planes and cards, if you play this separate you will get yelled at by everyone for everything, RIP Alikchi), BEF, France, Netherlands, Belgium.

So for sure Case Blue is only 1v1? I really wanted to play it with goons, but for 40 bucks, lot of other games I could try.

For reference, MP in the other can be Poland (not sure if the different city groups can be split), OKH, 3rd Army, 4th Army, 8th Army, 10th Army, and 14th Army.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse posted:

I'm still in for the next one. Really thought we could pull this off, but by goon schedule we should be in Warsaw right around the US entry to the war. Case Yellow actually only has 6(7). Army Group A, B, OKH (just planes and cards, if you play this separate you will get yelled at by everyone for everything, RIP Alikchi), BEF, France, Netherlands, Belgium.

So for sure Case Blue is only 1v1? I really wanted to play it with goons, but for 40 bucks, lot of other games I could try.

For reference, MP in the other can be Poland (not sure if the different city groups can be split), OKH, 3rd Army, 4th Army, 8th Army, 10th Army, and 14th Army.

Yeah, it's a more complex game and the card system is fixed (generals have a wider selection of cards that are always available, they just cost different amounts of Command Points to play and each General has his own pool which increases according to his stats). But without team play I just haven't gotten into it beyond playing the shorter Panzer Army campaign which is quite good.)

For Case Yellow it's technically possible to break up the German side to have one player per army but I really wouldn't want to do that because I think it would make the scenario unplayable.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is someone who used to run Jim Crockett Productions in the late 1980s or Turner in the late 1990s working for Slitherine now?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

So I'm trying to get into some of the games I haven't played as much and I'm kind of bad at the vanilla Panzer Corps. I think I've gotten to Barbarossa before super ahistorical 12 strength things exist. I have done pretty well on Afrika Korps and achieve the better victories but I suck at vanilla. For the record, I never really played Panzer General so I don't have the hours of experience there.

Wanted to buy Germany at War but without a demo/goon review I figure I should get my money's worth out of games I own first.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Congratulations to Jakse for whipping me soundly in Kursk.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Congratulations to Jakse for whipping me soundly in Kursk.

I could never win against my friend in any of the PvP scenarios, all of them were draws :negative:

If we're playing Case Yellow I volunteer to be a punching bag Brave Little Belgium.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I might be Holland and see if I can hold on all game. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

With these random screenshots appearing in the thread, it makes me wish we had one of those Dominions style LP threads where people post screenshots/thoughts from their turns (after a long enough delay that it no longer harms their strategy).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Zaodai posted:

With these random screenshots appearing in the thread, it makes me wish we had one of those Dominions style LP threads where people post screenshots/thoughts from their turns (after a long enough delay that it no longer harms their strategy).

We should do one of those for sure.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alchenar posted:

I might be Holland and see if I can hold on all game. :v:

Hey you big butt, do you still wanna play Cross of Iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ElBrak posted:

Hey you big butt, do you still wanna play Cross of Iron?

Yes I'm just really bad at being available because we live in literally opposite timezones.