Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
If you were so inclined, couldn't you also strip the guts and install new, better gear in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

If you were so inclined, couldn't you also strip the guts and install new, better gear in there?

Yep. You might have to jury-rig a shelf or two in there, but I've seen some really snazzy looking setups built around that exact idea.

And if you don't want to cram your gear inside, you could also just use it as a console/credenza by putting your gear on top and filling it with vinyl. TBH, that's probably one of the better options for vinyl storage/equipment furniture for the money. If you're patient, you can often score one of these for under $100. At that price range your only other real alternative is the 2x4 Expedit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-Vint...=item3cd3462cf3

...and I was wondering what would be a good replacement or additional amplifier for it. Basically what I want is any kind of equalizer, because the sound coming out of it as-is is pretty muddy, no matter what record I'm listening to. The bass and treble can be turned up, but then you just get this loud, rumbling, indistinct sound. It's killing me because I love the turntable itself, but the old stereo just sounds awful.

Inexpensive as possible would be best.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Cemetry Gator posted:

That sounds like a fill error. I forget the exact term, but basically they screwed up during the pressing process.

Balls. At least it's a very small popping noise, could be a lot worse. Oh well, knowing me I'll end up wanting to buy a new one if I ever see it on sale / want to waste $30 again. It's a wonderful soundtrack.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-Vint...=item3cd3462cf3

...and I was wondering what would be a good replacement or additional amplifier for it. Basically what I want is any kind of equalizer, because the sound coming out of it as-is is pretty muddy, no matter what record I'm listening to. The bass and treble can be turned up, but then you just get this loud, rumbling, indistinct sound. It's killing me because I love the turntable itself, but the old stereo just sounds awful.

Inexpensive as possible would be best.

I'm not sure I follow- are you saying that the turntable sounds bad and so you're looking for an amplifier/receiver that will compensate for that, or that the turntable is good but the current amp sounds lovely?

If it's the former- I get that you love your piece of gear but no amplifier is going to make up for the deficits of a bad turntable. 'Your setup is only as good as its weakest link'/'poo poo in, poo poo out' and all that jazz.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm not sure I follow- are you saying that the turntable sounds bad and so you're looking for an amplifier/receiver that will compensate for that, or that the turntable is good but the current amp sounds lovely?

If it's the former- I get that you love your piece of gear but no amplifier is going to make up for the deficits of a bad turntable. 'Your setup is only as good as its weakest link'/'poo poo in, poo poo out' and all that jazz.

The turntable is perfectly fine, it's just a really old amp that has no sound modeling beyond "Bass" and "Treble" (thought I made it pretty clear, sorry). I mean, I have a crappy 80's stereo (portable, chunky boombox) with a broken volume control that has an equalizer, and it's worked in the past, I just want something made specifically for a phono turntable that has better sound quality.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The turntable is perfectly fine, it's just a really old amp that has no sound modeling beyond "Bass" and "Treble" (thought I made it pretty clear, sorry). I mean, I have a crappy 80's stereo (portable, chunky boombox) with a broken volume control that has an equalizer, and it's worked in the past, I just want something made specifically for a phono turntable that has better sound quality.

Oh, gotcha. If the table's got RCA outs, then you have pretty much every receiver ever made (generally pre-2000 for an onboard preamp, otherwise you'll need a preamp) to choose from.

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
My birthday's coming up and I'm looking to upgrade my turntable from my second-hand Kenwood table. Is the ATLP120 from the OP still a good choice for a higher-end table or are there better options around the same price? I know about the Pro-ject Debut but $400 is a little steep for me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

So this new label just launched their first release. It's the soundtrack to The Re-Animator. It's been remastered from the original tapes and comes on green vinyl. The cover art is pretty awesome too. Glow in the dark copies of the LP will be randomly inserted into orders.

http://waxworkrecords.com/shop/

omg need

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh, gotcha. If the table's got RCA outs, then you have pretty much every receiver ever made (generally pre-2000 for an onboard preamp, otherwise you'll need a preamp) to choose from.

Yeah, but I was looking more for a recommendation for the cheapest I could get at the best quality, if anybody knew of one.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Additional cool vinyl news: Plains of the Purple Buffalo has been reissued and you can buy it here

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

alg posted:

Awwww yeeee

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/08/01/invada-to-press-cliff-martinezs-solaris/

As expensive as Drive was from Invada, and with the massive delay, I am pumped for this.

This soundtrack is exquisite; I will kill you all if it sells out before I can get a copy.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

WASDF posted:

Additional cool vinyl news: Plains of the Purple Buffalo has been reissued and you can buy it here

Dangit, not quite the colour I was hoping for but whatever!

In even MORE addition cool vinyl news, Ryan from Graveface Records is currently running a campaign on Indiegogo to help pay the legal fees he racked up when he was trying to reclaim a bunch of OOP stuff from his distributor. The perks are basically the OOP records themselves (including test pressings if you're rich) plus an exclusive 10" single. I picked up a copy of Jakob's Solace. It's a bit more expensive than retail but less than eBay prices, so help the dude out if you can!

Artists include Black Moth Super Rainbow, Dreamend, The Appleseed Cast, etc.

He also has a few test pressings up individually on eBay.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

So this new label just launched their first release. It's the soundtrack to The Re-Animator. It's been remastered from the original tapes and comes on green vinyl. The cover art is pretty awesome too. Glow in the dark copies of the LP will be randomly inserted into orders.

http://waxworkrecords.com/shop/

They're putting out Rosemary's Baby next and I've rumors of them doing some of the Friday the 13th movies

But yeah, if that Solaris LP sells out before I get a copy I will also be going on a murder spree. I've been waiting so long for it to get pressed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Kevar posted:

They're putting out Rosemary's Baby next and I've rumors of them doing some of the Friday the 13th movies

But yeah, if that Solaris LP sells out before I get a copy I will also be going on a murder spree. I've been waiting so long for it to get pressed.

Which reminds me. I stumbled upon some site recently that was going to put out the soundtrack for the original Solaris. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landofcake posted:

Hello, I'd just like to say that I am an idiot and I should not be allowed anywhere near my savings again or possibly banned from using discogs for the sake of my wallet.

By the way, I meant to ask about sleeves for records ... at the moment I haven't got anything protecting them, so I'm thinking about getting some PVC sleeves for the lot, but I can't find a good way to protect those big triple albums, which I've got a few of. Does anyone know some sort of PVC sleeve that would be appropriate for those?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-90-poly-sleeves.aspx

I think the 13" should fit fine (both the triple-LP Shaking the Habitual and the triple-gatefold deluxe version of Amok fit with plenty of wiggle room to spare)- but if you're extra paranoid, they make a massive 14" bag too. 12.75" fits normal LPs and 99% of 180-gram stuff. Don't get the ones with flaps, they just get in the way.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, but I was looking more for a recommendation for the cheapest I could get at the best quality, if anybody knew of one.

Honestly, it depends on what your budget is, what your family/acquaintance situation is like, and how savvy you are with craigslist and the like. My first receiver was free out of my parents' attic and I happened to luck out with having a tech-savvy dad who bought good poo poo. Plenty of people find great gear at garage sales and so-on for dirt cheap.

Since you're looking in the vintage/used sphere I can't really give you "the cheapest and best quality" because there just isn't one straight answer. The best I can tell you is to generally avoid cheap '90s stuff if you can go for something older/better made and to gain as much general knowledge about the equipment and manufacturers as possible. That's pretty much it. Otherwise, I'd have to give you a list of every manufacturer with their best and worst eras, models, and average used prices.

Try going on craigslist, seeing what pops up, and googling what you find. If it's a piece of audio equipment manufactured in the last 50 years, there's probably at least one old Audiokarma thread about it with spergy opinions and whatnot. That's how I figured out that my Yamaha was worth picking up. It's not like I had a pre-existing knowledge of Yamaha's product lineup from the 1970's.

If you haven't been in the IYG vinyl/stereo/vintage audio thread yet, it's full of information and a better place to ask around. That thread's entirely gear-oriented whereas this one is more about the media itself- though there's obviously a lot of overlap between the two.

peskyplumber posted:

My birthday's coming up and I'm looking to upgrade my turntable from my second-hand Kenwood table. Is the ATLP120 from the OP still a good choice for a higher-end table or are there better options around the same price? I know about the Pro-ject Debut but $400 is a little steep for me.

We were only just discussing it on the last page:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think that's my go-to 'new turntable recommendation' for 99% of people these days. Just make sure you get one with the AT-95E (sometimes listed as "Audio Technica 95E," or simply "95E") cartridge and not the old DJ one it used to ship with.

But yes, the LP120 is probably the best "buy it new" turntable on the market for under $300, maybe even under $500. It's pretty much the only one I would recommend in the sub-$300 category and you can get it for $250 on Amazon I think. Get your budget any cheaper and you're buying garbage in my opinion and are better off going vintage.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Sold out because I finally found somewhere which had this and bought the last one. I've been after this for so long, and it wasn't even available second hand anywhere. Not just available for stupid money, just none around. I even emailed Domino and asked if they were going to reprint it and felt crushed by their reply that they had no plans to. And then there it was and it was beautiful. I think I actually felt elated, I love this album. :sparkles:

I think I might have an addiction. I am getting a bit too into this record buying malarkey.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
There's another new Desaparecidos 7", and this one isn't some months-away pre-order, it's shipping now. These guys can keep taking my money, that's all fine, but man I hope they put out another LP. All of these singles have been fantastic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Soul Temple records that were due in May showed up today.
It seems like Wu-Tang has come to terms with their lovely label, though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
To be fair, U-God is no one's favorite killa bee.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Question: why do people care about the obi (paper strip thing) on Japanese releases? I was in Disc Union today and they had two copies of 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and one was ¥500 (without the obi) and the other was (if I remember rightly) ¥800 because it did have the obi. Why do people care?

I bought the ¥500 one because I do not have, and have never listened to, this album.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Because obis are part of the paper ephemera of japanese pressings, so to some people a japanese press without its obi isn't considered "complete". That's pretty much it.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

JehovahsWetness posted:

Because obis are part of the paper ephemera of japanese pressings, so to some people a japanese press without its obi isn't considered "complete". That's pretty much it.

Makes sense, I need to get out of the habit of taking them off and throwing them away. If you sell your CDs / vinyl at shops in Japan and you don't have them they grumble and knock some money off. Not that I am intending to sell anything (though I do have some duplicates now).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Sun Kil Moon's 'Ghosts Of The Great Highway' has a sort of obi as well.

Never seen that before on a non-Japanese release.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I received a visa gift card for my upcoming birthday and I am no realizing how useful PayPal can be because no indie label accepts straight up debit. Its a major bummer.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

New Yorkers might want to check this out:

http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2013/08/08/record-sale-rodgers-and-hammerstein-archives-recorded-sound

The New York Public Library posted:

The Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded sound has 22,000 LPs with your name on them. The records represent decades of unsolicited donations, for which we already have at least one copy in great condition. Now we need the space to bring in more unique materials for you to enjoy and study. Whether you are a hardcore collector of foreign classical releases, lover of 70s country music, Funk aficionado, or devotee of Ronald Reagan's spoken work, stop in anytime between August 8th and August 10th to get your paws on your sonic favorites known and yet to be discovered. All genres and styles represented.

We've priced the records to sell with all proceeds going to support the ongoing expansion of our collections.

There is a great chance that someone will find more than one diamond in the not-so-rough. Many of the recordings have never been played, bear promotional stamps, and remain sealed in shrink wrap.

No - we don't have an inventory, but the recordings will be arranged loosely by label and issue number to make it easier for those who know precisely their prey. We encourage you to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr where we will post as many images of the records as we can between now and then. If you see something you want, hit us up and we will see if we can set it aside for you. No promises, though. Here are the details:

When: August 8th, Noon - 7:45pm and August 9th and 10th, Noon - 5:45pm.

Where: The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center, Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery, First Floor.

We will do our best to provide bags. If you think you will need a box - you know who you are - we will have some on hand while they last.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

shmee posted:

Question: why do people care about the obi (paper strip thing) on Japanese releases? I was in Disc Union today and they had two copies of 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and one was ¥500 (without the obi) and the other was (if I remember rightly) ¥800 because it did have the obi. Why do people care?

I bought the ¥500 one because I do not have, and have never listened to, this album.

Because autism.

I can't even begin to imagine what this frenzy will be like.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I realized a few days ago on my birthday that I had stayed true to my personal goal of not buying any records so that I could save money. When my birthday came around recently, I realized that I hadn't purchased a record in over 8 months. This could not stand, so I just got back from a spree at Amoeba Music in SF. The outcome clearly advertises my big dumb love of 90s electronic music, plus some contemporary things I really like. I spent 2 1/2 hours in the record store just browsing and was surprised to see this final tally skew so much towards electronic and have less rock in it, but I suppose electronic is just WHAT I'M FEELIN' these days:

Azure Ray - As Above, So Below LP
Beacon - The Ways We Separate LP
BT - Quark (+remixes) 12" single
Chemical Brothers - Leave Home (+remixes) 12" Single
Concert Silence s/t 2xLP (Eluvium)
Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane 7" single
DNTEL - Life Is Full Of Possibilities 2xLP
DNTEL - Anywhere, Anyone (+remixes) 12" single
Four Tet - Rounds 2xLP Reissue
Hooverphonic - Club Montepulcano (+remixes) 12" Single
Massive Attack - Teardrop (+remixes) 12" Single
Talvin Singh - OK (+remixes) 12" Single
Tweaker - Linoleum (+remixes) 12" Single
Underworld - Cowgirl (+remixes) 12" Single
Underworld - Pearl's Girl (+remixes) 12" Single
Underworld - Rowla/Juanita (+remixes) 12" Single
Underworld - Born Slippy (+remixes) 12" Single

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey you guys!

There's this recent "official" release of the Joy Division show recorded at a YMCA on Aug. 2, 1979. Do any of you know if it was sourced from anything that sounds better than the numerous bootlegs that have been in circulation for years? This is it here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-128627-joy-division-ymca-2-8-79-import-lp.aspx

Despite all claims this isn't actually an official release which is why I'm suspicious of it's sound quality. As we all know, Joy Division bootlegs are not known for their pristine sound quality.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I saw that in store the other day. I looked at it and disregarded as one of the million other Joy Division bootlegs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I saw that in store the other day. I looked at it and disregarded as one of the million other Joy Division bootlegs.

That's what I figured. But seeing as it's being marketed as an official release (it's not) I was wondering if maybe it was sourced from something better than previous versions. Also I have one Joy Division bootleg that sounds pretty good.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm gonna wait another 20 years and hopefully by then there will be a decided and definitive bootleg of Joy Division to pick up but I know that'll never happen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I love my one Joy Division bootleg. It sounds like it was recorded from within a cracker box stored in a pantry inside Ian Curtis' house while he was out gigging.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Dr. Lenin posted:

Balls. At least it's a very small popping noise, could be a lot worse. Oh well, knowing me I'll end up wanting to buy a new one if I ever see it on sale / want to waste $30 again. It's a wonderful soundtrack.

I recently emailed Mondo because one LP in their Raid soundtrack release had a similar problem, they sent me a replacement record free of charge a couple weeks later. YMMV of course.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

I can't even begin to imagine what this frenzy will be like.

And the scummy odors, good god. Crate-digging rule #1074: If you go to a feeding frenzy, you will at some point find yourself elbow-to-elbow with a greasy 70s-80s private hard rock & metal collector who hasn't bathed since "Pyromania" dropped, because with so many obscure :rock: records to hoard and multiple storage units to fill with them, there simply is no time for showering or even deodorant applying.

(In my experience, at least. Maybe I've just had bad luck.)

Doomy posted:

I recently emailed Mondo because one LP in their Raid soundtrack release had a similar problem, they sent me a replacement record free of charge a couple weeks later. YMMV of course.

I've received two LPs with pressing flaws in the past, and on both occasions they sent me new records (both times without a jacket, for obvious reasons). Ask them; they might be cool about it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
My copy of the new Empire! Empire! (I was a Lonely Estate) 10" is all sorts of hosed up. There are a bunch of spots where there's a hard bump in the vinyl, making playing the record impossible. It's like the record has a bunch of little zits on it.

I emailed Count Your Lucky Stars about it a month ago and never heard back. I guess I should try again. Really hoping my email just fell through the cracks because they've always been awesome to deal with. In almost a decade of buying records this is the first problem I've ever had, so I guess I'm lucky.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

And the scummy odors, good god. Crate-digging rule #1074: If you go to a feeding frenzy, you will at some point find yourself elbow-to-elbow with a greasy 70s-80s private hard rock & metal collector who hasn't bathed since "Pyromania" dropped, because with so many obscure :rock: records to hoard and multiple storage units to fill with them, there simply is no time for showering or even deodorant applying.

This is one of many reasons I don't bother much with crate digging. It's a whole lot of effort for very little (if any) return.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Plus your fingers get so icky :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Plus your fingers get so icky :(

That true as well. I actually feel physically dirty from that. I really just don't enjoy digging through 8,000 copies of Mitch Miller's Christmas album, Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits, and the Funny Girl soundtrack on the off chance that I might find a VG copy of Harvest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cheapandugly's package came through, and it is a quality thing. I am hugely pleased, thanks.