Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Traffic numbers are definitely way down, but we've screwed ourselves by keeping things combined up all the time, because it shows that you don't "need" more people. There are a lot of times that we have sectors that should be split out, but aren't. This can be due to staffing shortages or people just wanting to keep the break list moving, but it sets a really bad precedent. I know a couple of our areas are down to just over 30 CPC's bidding this year, and that number might hold even at best if every single trainee we have gets checked out. For comparison, I remember someone from Salt Lake Center saying they're still bidding around 50 an area. It's not like they're any busier than we are, they apparently just open all their sectors every day. Every controller knows how the rumor mill works, but I've heard that they're really watching us to see what kind of staffing numbers they can actually get away with everywhere else. Gonna have fun times ahead!

Yeah and good luck getting controllers to admit we need to split sectors when longer breaks are on the line. How many times have you heard "it's slow, let's combine it up," followed and hour later by "man I just got my rear end kicked :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Any pilots here that got LASIK? Especially those working commercially?
I'm thinking about it just cause I'm sick of wearing these drat contacts all the time that dry out and they're costing me a shitload (like $1000 a year) I figure I'd break even on LASIK in a relatively short timeframe.
Just worried about any problems flying afterwards, how long I have to stop flying, etc.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

I'm thinking about it just cause I'm sick of wearing these drat contacts all the time that dry out and they're costing me a shitload (like $1000 a year) I figure I'd break even on LASIK in a relatively short timeframe.
Just worried about any problems flying afterwards, how long I have to stop flying, etc.

Sounds like a good question for the medical guys at AOPA or your union (if applicable). From what I've heard though it's pretty much a non issue and will only take you out of commission for a few days.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We don't have a union but I could arrange 2 weeks off easily, just not sure if I'd need to or not, since I normally get 6 days off. I've read a little bit on JC about it but still not sure what my responsibilities are as far as grounding myself.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Lllllllllloooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee the new ATP rule!

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

The Slaughter posted:

On the 0.01% chance of your career ending due to complications, are you ok with the risk? Thats what holds be back.

I don't think I know, or have flown with anyone who flies professionally. I suppose some might have done it and just try to hide it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Slaughter posted:

Just wear glasses and be done with, or suck it up and get a set of non-disposables. I've worn glasses when I fly since the day I got my Class 1 medical.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

What's up controller buddies? :hf:

You will find no more bitchy, entitled, whiny group in the world than controllers. I wouldn't say that it's because it's most people's first job and thus they don't know what "real work" is, as most of the controllers I know got in the game a little late and have held plenty of jobs prior to being a controller. I think you just get used to a new normal and forget how good you have it. I've worked plenty of poo poo jobs in my day and I know just how loving lucky I am.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Well I guess the pilot shortage is here. We're already out of FO reserves for tomorrow. To make matters worse we're losing about 30 guys a month and that number is only going to go up as the doors at AAG, UAL, and Delta open up over the next year or so. Of course then there is bullshit like this:

"...And the real issue is it's getting harder and harder to hire regional pilots. Particularly at regional pilot pay scales."

-Scott Kirby at the LCC Q2 earnings presentation, literally days after asking American Eagle to implement a B-Scale.

Same at my company. We are probably going to have to hire this year unless they start taking planes off property. Our union president says no signing bonuses and we'll get the new hires because of our upgrade times...... I'm a 6 year FO on 4th year bankruptcy pay. Yea, good luck.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I've had LASIK, but I just have a class 3 medical. Officially speaking, check out this link: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response12/

So the short version is you should probably ask the LASIK place how soon they would be willing to write you such a letter after the operation, assuming things worked as intended. From my experience, it's pretty fast, but it's worth having as much information as you can get up front.

Edit: In my case, if you're wondering how fast is fast, I could see better immediately after the procedure, but still blurry. The morning after, I was 20/20, the day after that, 20/15 both eyes. Custom wavefront LASIK.

2 years on, one eye is going nearsighted again, but I'm going in for a free touch-up to fix it. You might want to ask the place you go to if they have a policy for touch-ups.

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 3, 2013

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

We're within the range of our nominal staffing numbers but we still have a significant number of trainees. There's still plenty of overtime where it's allowed and leave is hard to come by. Plus, a lot of us are trying to transfer for career/life reasons so it's going to be like this a while.

However, traffic is way down so we spend more time with sectors combined up which requires fewer people.

AMA is in the exact same situation, I've got overtime tonight :woop:. We just got a developmental ERR who is from the area and apparently are getting a CPC in September so I'm hoping that bodes well for my transfer possibilities.

Any of you controllers have a pilot that is infamous around your facility for being tough to work with? We've got a guy who is always chirping at us for any delay, even when he isn't medevac status. Gave my buddy a "Wow... OK" the other day when he was vectored to an 8 mile final to help out tower who had some military in the pattern.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes a couple, one was a controller at this same facility so he's especially familiar.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Zochness posted:

AMA is in the exact same situation, I've got overtime tonight :woop:. We just got a developmental ERR who is from the area and apparently are getting a CPC in September so I'm hoping that bodes well for my transfer possibilities.

Any of you controllers have a pilot that is infamous around your facility for being tough to work with? We've got a guy who is always chirping at us for any delay, even when he isn't medevac status. Gave my buddy a "Wow... OK" the other day when he was vectored to an 8 mile final to help out tower who had some military in the pattern.

We have a guy who is a massive dick, always tries to screw fellow pilots by taking an intersection (against his company policy) to try and scoot past two or three waiting full length, will intentionally gently caress with your pattern, and if he hears a new voice (trainee) he will bitch at them and give them a hard time.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 3, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Well I guess the pilot shortage is here. We're already out of FO reserves for tomorrow. To make matters worse we're losing about 30 guys a month and that number is only going to go up as the doors at AAG, UAL, and Delta open up over the next year or so. Of course then there is bullshit like this:

"...And the real issue is it's getting harder and harder to hire regional pilots. Particularly at regional pilot pay scales."

-Scott Kirby at the LCC Q2 earnings presentation, literally days after asking American Eagle to implement a B-Scale.

Well, that was quick. :stare:

e- Does Kirby really buy that? I get the feeling that if it's that way, it'd be more because people are getting frustrated and saying "gently caress this".

What are the alternatives for pilots in that time range at this point, anyway? Choice of CFI or night cargo in a Shorts 360 or Beech 1900?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 3, 2013

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

What do you guys use for digital logbooks? I'm looking to switch over and there's a whole bunch of options. I'd ideally like something that keeps track of Canadian currency requirements. Looking at LogTen Pro and it's just the 100$ price tag that's holding me back right now, and that it looks like I'd need to buy two versions for both my Mac and iPad.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Logtenpro is fantastic. And don't they have a universal one now where you get it for both?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Log ten pro. Universal for ipad and iPhone. Mac costs extra.

I have all 4 variants lol, because I accidentally didn't buy the universal one first.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Unicom posted:

What do you guys use for digital logbooks? I'm looking to switch over and there's a whole bunch of options. I'd ideally like something that keeps track of Canadian currency requirements. Looking at LogTen Pro and it's just the 100$ price tag that's holding me back right now, and that it looks like I'd need to buy two versions for both my Mac and iPad.

LogTen Pro. I don't use a mobile version because I'm an Android user.

I love that I can import my schedule (LogBook Pro charges monthly for this function) and it pre-fills my logbook and my phone's calendar (via iCal to Google Calendar).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is normal, right?

I have a picture of the GI message that went out nationally too. Amazing stuff. Hopefully them spraying that end of the control room doesn't push them towards my area...

Edit for picture:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 4, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
We sometimes get snakes, lizards, rats etc in the building. Haven't yet gone ATC Alert/ATC Zero as a result of them though.

A month or so ago, a pack of feral dogs chased down a coworker of mine in the parking lot. He fell and shattered his elbow but the dogs didn't attack.

Wildlife woes in a government facility. They don't just antagonize aircraft.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

The Ferret King posted:

We sometimes get snakes, lizards, rats etc in the building. Haven't yet gone ATC Alert/ATC Zero as a result of them though.

A month or so ago, a pack of feral dogs chased down a coworker of mine in the parking lot. He fell and shattered his elbow but the dogs didn't attack.

This is amazing in a sick kind of way. We have goats on the property where I am at. Not one or two, but like 20. Also, baby goats are amazingly cute.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What does it mean when ATC refer to aircraft as a "Company" plane. Like "traffic is a company 777". Is it just a callsign for an airline or something else?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

thehustler posted:

What does it mean when ATC refer to aircraft as a "Company" plane. Like "traffic is a company 777". Is it just a callsign for an airline or something else?

It means the traffic is from the same airline.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's non standard verbiage that's widely used to tell the pilot they're looking for an aircraft of the same airline/paint scheme.

Really we're supposed to use manufacturer or type.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

When I worked at Nellis tower we had a camel spider infestation. No one got bit but goddamn those fuckers give me the heebie jeebies.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

It's non standard verbiage that's widely used to tell the pilot they're looking for an aircraft of the same airline/paint scheme.

I always wondered about that. Some controllers use it to describe other aircraft of my company (same callsign) and some use it for any in my carrier's paint scheme.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
Just finished up another lesson! 3.5 total hours now. I did a lot better at straight and level flight today while flying out to our practice spot, which made me feel pretty good.

The wind was pretty strong today, so we worked on ground reference maneuvers. I was fairly decent doing level "crabbing" to keep the correct ground course against the prevailing winds.

On the other hand, the turns around a point and S-turns across a road were... challenging to say the least. I made pretty much every error listed in the Flying Handbook (most egregiously gaining/losing a couple hundred feet of altitude every time while still not completing the turns correctly). Still trying to perfect my attention coordination between the outside view and the instrument check.

Unfortunately my learning style is "gently caress it up 5 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up twice more, then it finally starts to click." A bit frustrating to perform horribly, but that's the purpose of being a student I guess.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You'll learn to appreciate and even enjoy the emotional roller coaster. You'll also see how a bit of humility can really set you apart from the crowd in aviation. It seems like your mind is in the right place.

vvvvvv Calm down there slugger. You're getting excitable.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 4, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
If you're going this crazy after 3.5 hours of flying you're going to go apeshit insane before you ever get a PPL. You go up, you practice, you make mistakes, you learn, you get better. Just wait until you're trying to do landings for soloing, trying to learn how to land is the most frustrating thing. Flight instruction utilizes the building block method as well as correlation. You start with the basics and then keep adding and adding. It takes time to get those skills, and soon you'll be able to correlate other areas of flying where the same skills apply. 3.5 hours is a very small amount of time however to start trying to judge yourself. When I first started driving a stick shift, I found it super difficult. Now, I do it every day and I don't even think about it. Flying gets to be the same way.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

ProFootballGuy posted:

Unfortunately my learning style is "gently caress it up 5 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up twice more, then it finally starts to click." A bit frustrating to perform horribly, but that's the purpose of being a student I guess.

Dude, relax

Seriously, you need to chill out. You have freaking 3.5 hours of flight time. The fact that you're even realizing you're off altitude puts you way ahead of the game. Relax. Have fun with your training. Seriously, relax and stop worrying. reeeelllaaaaax.

If you want some more concrete advice I would say that you're probably spending too much time "inside" looking at the instruments. During a turn around a point you should be spending about 90% of the time with your eyes focusing on your pitch attitude, 7% looking at the point, and about 3% looking at your instruments.

P.S. Relax.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Got to teach in a 182 with a STOL kit fitted today (drooped wingtips and giant vortex generators), which was a lot of fun. It's a 1960 model, so nothing in the cockpit is quite where'd you expect, but it has giant toggle switches for everything electrical (so much more satisfying to flip than the plastic switches on later models), along with a very manly Johnson bar for the flaps.

On takeoff, the weight of the engine and forward CG means that the STOL kit doesn't have too much of an effect, but in the air, it makes the airplane pretty much un-stallable. At one point, we had the airspeed indicator reading somewhere less than 40 MPH, and the airplane was in an easily controlled descent and refused to actually break into a stall. Coming in to land, the STOL kit and 40 degree flap settings allow some absurdly steep descents, but the added lift from the kit means that the airplane really doesn't want to settle on the landing roll and gets squirrely with a crosswind unless you dump the flaps after touchdown.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ProFootballGuy posted:

...until you're trying to get cleared for solo and your learning style becomes: gently caress it up 15 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up 14 times, sleep on it, gently caress it up 13 times, sleep on it, and so on.

I think it's pretty normal to be as excited as you are though, so don't worry about that. Did you get your medical yet? You'll need it sooner than you think and it would be best not to get any surprises right before you are cleared to solo.

azflyboy posted:

along with a very manly Johnson bar for the flaps.

I love Johnson bars. I wonder what Dr. Freud would say about us?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They actually have an A-side checkride there? How many hours did you have to get? I had to get 8 hours of time total with a really bored CPC watching me and then I was magically certified!

It's almost impossible for us to get overtime. We got one last night because we ended up 5 under the numbers, which is apparently the magic number. Traffic numbers are definitely way down, but we've screwed ourselves by keeping things combined up all the time, because it shows that you don't "need" more people. There are a lot of times that we have sectors that should be split out, but aren't. This can be due to staffing shortages or people just wanting to keep the break list moving, but it sets a really bad precedent. I know a couple of our areas are down to just over 30 CPC's bidding this year, and that number might hold even at best if every single trainee we have gets checked out. For comparison, I remember someone from Salt Lake Center saying they're still bidding around 50 an area. It's not like they're any busier than we are, they apparently just open all their sectors every day. Every controller knows how the rumor mill works, but I've heard that they're really watching us to see what kind of staffing numbers they can actually get away with everywhere else. Gonna have fun times ahead!

Cap is 50hrs, minimum was 20, I got 22.5. My trainer was INCREDIBLY bored.

Our area looking at 6-day workweeks in the immediate future, due to retirements. Come to sunny south Florida. :colbert:

Derp-edit: Because we have some non-radar oceanic stuff going down in other areas, there are still A side check rides, but for my area, it's kindof a joke. Also, my academy buddy sent me a pic of that spider GI message the other day. I loving hate spiders. Use your sick leave up.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 5, 2013

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

.. contract? What? is this CAE? transpac? why would you sign a contract to be a flight instructor?

Nope, local school in KSLC. I like the idea of having a salary so that I can still make some money in bad weather, plus I'm getting four instrument students to start with. Haven't signed any paperwork yet so I'm sure I can back out if the need arises...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Sounds like a good gig, depending on the salary. Carry breath mints and gum at all times.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
How goes it Rolo??

I just went through my first CFI Ground School and I'm dying....

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Use your sick leave up.

Hell no, they're going to be the only way to get days off over the next few years! I'm already sitting on 180 something hours, gotta keep building!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Hell no, they're going to be the only way to get days off over the next few years! I'm already sitting on 180 something hours, gotta keep building!

Absolutely. Except where spiders are concerned.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

Got to teach in a 182 with a STOL kit fitted today (drooped wingtips and giant vortex generators), which was a lot of fun. It's a 1960 model, so nothing in the cockpit is quite where'd you expect, but it has giant toggle switches for everything electrical (so much more satisfying to flip than the plastic switches on later models), along with a very manly Johnson bar for the flaps.

On takeoff, the weight of the engine and forward CG means that the STOL kit doesn't have too much of an effect, but in the air, it makes the airplane pretty much un-stallable. At one point, we had the airspeed indicator reading somewhere less than 40 MPH, and the airplane was in an easily controlled descent and refused to actually break into a stall. Coming in to land, the STOL kit and 40 degree flap settings allow some absurdly steep descents, but the added lift from the kit means that the airplane really doesn't want to settle on the landing roll and gets squirrely with a crosswind unless you dump the flaps after touchdown.

I've flown a 172SP with a STOL kit and, yeah, you're wasting your time trying to get that thing to stall/spin. On my initial checkout in it, I was told "Just try to give me a power-off stall, but it's probably not going to break so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've flown a 172SP with a STOL kit and, yeah, you're wasting your time trying to get that thing to stall/spin. On my initial checkout in it, I was told "Just try to give me a power-off stall, but it's probably not going to break so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work.".

Reminds me of the AN-2:

wikipedia posted:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground."

• Locked thread