Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lemmi Caution posted:

The Nazis did not quietly change the constitution. It happened in an environment of turmoil largely ginned up by the Nazis themselves.

Mea culpa for my historical brain-fart. The moment I read this the Reichstag fire flashed to mind. It didn't reading Aso's speech. I'm guessing it's because he's talking about not making a lot of fuss and noise at the same time as talking about learning from the Nazis. It looks like we're just looking at another case of Aso failing at message control and knowing his audience (judging by the media response, not mine alone). He'd have saved himself a lot of trouble if he'd been a bit more blunt about linking the Nazis with being blustery and noisy. It's very clear that he was attempting to convey that to me now, but not everyone is a student of history like Taro Aso, so, like me, they piece it together minus the necessary allusions. A little less relying upon his audience's knowledge of the Nazi's rise to power and a lot of the misunderstanding, both accidental and deliberate, could have been avoided. I withdraw any statements I made impugning Aso's intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

I withdraw any statements I made impugning Aso's intelligence.

Well, let's not go too far.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, he never said anything about "quietly", just "quickly, before anyone noticed".

Seeing that their party IS trying to make changes to the constitution that go against polls and stuff, one could be forgiven for thinking that was their plan too.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Weatherman posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm a dumb Australian, but I don't understand exactly why one can't take motorway-building lessons from the motorway designers who built the motorways in Nazi Germany. Is there some kind of evil contagion that attaches to engineering knowledge and turns your based-on-Prussian-engineering road into a totalitarian regime or something?

And before someone raises the human experimentation issue, well I guess it's possible to separate civil engineering works from vivisection, isn't it.

Well the Autobahn are interesting. I can't remember if it was Bruning or Von Papen's government that planned and started the Autobahn project as a Keynesian style public works project (although both men were deeply conservative) but it wasn't a Nazi idea really. Indeed it is arguable the economic recovery often credited to the Nazi's massive spending on rearmament had probably begun before Hitler came to power.

Further before the start of WW2 they were something of a white elephant, largely unused by a population that owned relatively few cars. The Volkswagen (people's car) subscription programme was meant to change that but the Nazis plundered it's coffers for other things and few if any people actually got a car out of it.

It was useful for moving military convoys around the country but that usually isn't what the autobahn are given credit for. While they were an inspiration to Eisenhower creating the Interstate system this was two decades later in a country more technologically, economically and socially ready for mass car culture.

Thus while slave labour can't be directly related to it (unless it was used for repairs later in the war) the contagion of militarism and corruption that were endemic to the Nazis did infect a civil engineering project they didn't even conceive of.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aso was smeared, but that doesn't mean he's a good guy. Can we end this pointless derail?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's not pointless for several reasons. The Aso Nazi quote case is a perfect example of how well Japan's regional rivals understand and control messaging in the foreign press, and how the inward-looking Japanese politicians don't understand how their internal words and actions are viewed and have impact on the world stage. Aso is in the position he is because he is viewed as a feckless yes-man filling a key post to advance economic reforms while not rocking the boat. Everyone in his party acted in accordance with domestic politicking by denying any knowledge of the meaning of his speech and deflecting all questions back onto Aso, completely oblivious to the fact that the whole nation of Japan was being judged through dodgy quotes and carefully hedged reporting in all the foreign press.

In their scramble to never upset anything internally they can't even recognize when they need to speak in unison in saying the obvious and dismissing exaggerated and inaccurate reporting of comments by a member of their own party and cabinet. They have no idea how and when to present a united front because they don't have the basic tools to understand how internal and international politics interlock.

It is also relevant to this thread, a discussion in English of Japanese politics, because it is so frustrating having to defend the likes of Taro Aso just because the English press can't be bothered to report authoritatively on what was actually said in Japanese rather than rely on what the Korean and Chinese press said he said. Using all the appropriate weasel words of course.

If you want to talk about pointless derails, the whole constitutional issue seems to be one. It is not clear what the LDP intends to accomplish with revisions, seeing that under the current restrictions Japan already has arguably the strongest military in the region, discounting even American bases. The LDP has no stated policy provisions that even require constitutional revision to accomplish. So, aside from appealing to a tiny minority base of authoritarian idiots, why is the Japanese government even having this discussion? The Japanese public is skeptical of revision, and even with revisions the prospect of foreign combat missions would remain incredibly controversial.

I'd argue that it is yet another example of the government's disregard for international politics, aside from American kowtowing, in pursuit of every last ignorant vote in the nation. You could lay whaling, inability to resolve territorial disputes, and Yasukuni on this same alter. A rash of petty special interest bullshit that keeps wounds open in perpetuity, does not interest the average Japanese voter, but gives the LDP an edge in elections.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm surprised that people in this thread are agreed that Aso was smeared by the press. It seems pretty clear to me from his statement, in which he went from complaining about the press creating a fuss about Yasukuni, to the problematic line, that he meant exactly what he said, even if it was based on a misunderstanding of history.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Another day, another Fukushima leak. This is what, the third? The fourth? I've lost count.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 20, 2013

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Another day, another Fukushima leak. This is what, the third? The fourth? I've lost count.

It's been leaking for years now. I swear TEPCO is just pulling ideas out of whatever manga they read the week before. When the people with experience dealing with this kind of cleanup said they would help they turned them away. The government should have not allowed TEPCO to run the show and replaced them with a 3rd party international team of experts. Also hearing about the exploits of the decon teams in the exclusion zone is terrible. Half rear end work without proper disposal.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Madd0g11 posted:

It's been leaking for years now. I swear TEPCO is just pulling ideas out of whatever manga they read the week before. When the people with experience dealing with this kind of cleanup said they would help they turned them away. The government should have not allowed TEPCO to run the show and replaced them with a 3rd party international team of experts. Also hearing about the exploits of the decon teams in the exclusion zone is terrible. Half rear end work without proper disposal.

"Wait, you mean letting foreigners in to help us fix things? Better save face and let Japanese organizations handle it instead!" is pretty much the exact mentality that created the deadliest single-aircraft disaster in history.

quote:

United States Air Force controllers at Yokota Air Base situated near the flight path of Flight 123 had been monitoring the distressed aircraft's calls for help. They maintained contact throughout the ordeal with Japanese flight control officials and made their landing strip available to the airplane. After losing track on radar, a U.S. Air Force C-130 from the 345 TAS was asked to search for the missing plane. The C-130 crew was the first to spot the crash site 20 minutes after impact, while it was still daylight. The crew radioed Yokota Air Base to alert them and directed a USAF Huey helicopter from Yokota to the crash site. Rescue teams were assembled in preparation to lower Marines down for rescues by helicopter tow line. The offers by American forces of help to guide Japanese forces immediately to the crash site and of rescue assistance were rejected by Japanese officials. Instead, Japanese government representatives ordered the U.S. crew to keep away from the crash site and return to Yokota Air Base, stating the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) were going to handle the entire rescue alone.[citation needed]

Although a JSDF helicopter eventually spotted the wreck during the night, poor visibility and the difficult mountainous terrain prevented it from landing at the site. The pilot reported from the air that there were no signs of survivors. Based on this report, JSDF ground personnel did not set out to the site the night of the crash. Instead, they were dispatched to spend the night at a makeshift village erecting tents, constructing helicopter landing ramps and engaging in other preparations, all 63 kilometers from the wreck. Rescue teams did not set out for the crash site until the following morning. Medical staff later found bodies with injuries suggesting that the individual had survived the crash only to die from shock or exposure overnight in the mountains.[6] One doctor said "If the discovery had come ten hours earlier, we could have found more survivors."[16]

Yumi Ochiai, one of the four survivors out of 524 passengers and crew, recounted from her hospital bed that she recalled bright lights and the sound of helicopter rotors shortly after she awoke amid the wreckage, and while she could hear screaming and moaning from other survivors, these sounds gradually died away during the night.[6]

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 20, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Wow. Reading that is infuriating.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Christ, that's horrible.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So, I assume everyone responsible made a really heartfelt apology and that was the end of it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

So, I assume everyone responsible made a really heartfelt apology and that was the end of it?

The story I've heard is that the PM at the time went absolutely apeshit at his cabinet when he got wind of what happened.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

So, I assume everyone responsible jumped in front of a train and that was the end of it?

Fixed that for you.

Not kidding either. (at least in the case of the people that caused the crash)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
When the first Fukushima incident happened, Icelands crisis response team offered to help. These are guys that had helped out in half a dozen different places, most recently Jamaica where they'd done a lot of good.

The Japanese dithered for so long about it that it became moot, as their speciality was dealing with poo poo when the crisis was at its worst, not the aftermath. Was fun having to explain to people when we were asking for donations why they'd said no to our help~

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Yay for Olympics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

Yay for Olympics.
Oh god it's all coming true!

Be on the look out for angry super powered boys.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is this why riot cops are swarming all over Shinjuku?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Stringent posted:

Is this why riot cops are swarming all over Shinjuku?

Partly. Some Korean guy was going on an insane hate diatribe in the station about Tokyo getting the Olympics, pissed off Japanese who beat the crap out of him and so the riot police were called.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Partly. Some Korean guy was going on an insane hate diatribe in the station about Tokyo getting the Olympics, pissed off Japanese who beat the crap out of him and so the riot police were called.
Oh, great. I hope they can keep it to themselves during the Olympics itself.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, great. I hope they can keep it to themselves during the Olympics itself.

They manage to keep it to themselves when Japanese are ranting about massacring all the Koreans in Shin okubo, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

They manage to keep it to themselves when Japanese are ranting about massacring all the Koreans in Shin okubo, so I wouldn't worry too much.
No I meant the right wing assholes. The cops SHOULD have stopped them in Shin Okubo.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

The Koreans in Okubo should just spray the haters with honey sauce from those ホットク snacks they sell on the street there. That poo poo ALWAYS gets all over my shirt...really annoying and hard to clean.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Hey ladies. Back to the kitchen.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-JRTB-14870

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Like I've been thinking for a long time, while most governments are trying to figure out how best to keep women in the workplace, Japan's government can't even decide if they want that at all. They deserve all the poo poo they get for standing in the way of their own economic recovery so steadfastly.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

God someone should slap that woman. The only loving reason why she's on that committee in the first place is because she's echoing all the poo poo the conservative party members are thinking and saying (sometimes).

Fake Edit: Finished reading the rest of the dam article. Oh HEY!

quote:

And her insistence that mothers stay home to raise their young children sounds eerily similar to Mr. Abe’s push for a three-year child care leave-criticized by feminists as backwards
I was right.

By time the 2020 Olympics come to Japan. They'll be a decade away from the real "Oh poo poo we're hosed!" point in their population. When 1/3 of the pop is over 65.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kenishi posted:

God someone should slap that woman. The only loving reason why she's on that committee in the first place is because she's echoing all the poo poo the conservative party members are thinking and saying (sometimes).

Fake Edit: Finished reading the rest of the dam article. Oh HEY!
I was right.

By time the 2020 Olympics come to Japan. They'll be a decade away from the real "Oh poo poo we're hosed!" point in their population. When 1/3 of the pop is over 65.

I wonder how the political landscape will change between now and then. It seems to be drifting more and more towards hardline conservatism, with the examples of wanting to re-write the post war constitution to remove the universal human rights and the other various public statements like "The Nazis had a good idea" but it seems a lot of those are mistranslated or taken out of context.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I don't think anyone would argue against the LDP being full of hardline history-whitewashing conservatives, including Abe who is a descendent of, was groomed by, and worshipped a literal WWII war criminal (okay suspect but come on). Still they seem to understand that their mandate is basically limited to the economy. I recall a recent survey showing the majority of regular folks being against amending the constitution for example.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Consider there is also like no jingoism whatsoever about WWII on TV (which is still a major force over here -- things like Hulu haven't really picked up here, something which I'm sure is similar to the RIAJ years back and selling music online), it's almost always sad memoirs about young boys going off to war who never came back or how getting atomic bombed sucks. They might not know everything they did in the war, but they're well aware that war is terrible and they want none of it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Consider there is also like no jingoism whatsoever about WWII on TV (which is still a major force over here -- things like Hulu haven't really picked up here, something which I'm sure is similar to the RIAJ years back and selling music online), it's almost always sad memoirs about young boys going off to war who never came back or how getting atomic bombed sucks. They might not know everything they did in the war, but they're well aware that war is terrible and they want none of it.

Do those things mention the fact that japan, you know, started the war? Because painting yourself the victim when you are the aggressor is still whitewashing.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ArchangeI posted:

Do those things mention the fact that japan, you know, started the war? Because painting yourself the victim when you are the aggressor is still whitewashing.

I don't think RC was trying to say that Japan doesn't whitewash the war. She was just saying (as I understood it) that the war isn't celebrated and the average Japanese person doesn't view the era as some bygone era of glory that needs to be returned to Japan by amending the constitution

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Historical circumstances started the war and we're all the victims. All of us. Everywhere.

This is what (some) Japanese actually believe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CronoGamer posted:

I don't think RC was trying to say that Japan doesn't whitewash the war. She was just saying (as I understood it) that the war isn't celebrated and the average Japanese person doesn't view the era as some bygone era of glory that needs to be returned to Japan by amending the constitution
That's good, but it seems to be in spite of the government's efforts, not because of them.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's good, but it seems to be in spite of the government's efforts, not because of them.

Right-- I agree with you-- but if we're still relating back to RC's post coming off of Zo's original remark:

Zo posted:

Still they seem to understand that their mandate is basically limited to the economy. I recall a recent survey showing the majority of regular folks being against amending the constitution for example.

The point is that, even if the government is interested in doing things one way, they seem to be aware that the people are not on board with them in that regard.

Seem, at least.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Historical circumstances started the war and we're all the victims. All of us. Everywhere.

This is what (some) Japanese actually believe.

Literally fight any Japanese who claims this.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

CronoGamer posted:

Right-- I agree with you-- but if we're still relating back to RC's post coming off of Zo's original remark:

The point is that, even if the government is interested in doing things one way, they seem to be aware that the people are not on board with them in that regard.

Seem, at least.

You hit the nail on the head for me :shobon:
It's not glossed over that Japan started the Asian part of the war. But it's kind of in a light that's like, "we had no choice" because of the US embargo in particular. They whitewash a lot of it. But even though that makes the narrative shift to one of a victim mentality, the underlying emphasis is "war sucks and this is what happened to our country because of it".

That's why, I think, there was an uproar recently when a school in rural Japan removed Barefoot Gen from its library. Overwhelmingly people responded in a way that wasn't just "but it's a classic", it was "are they trying to sweep the reality that war sucks under the rug?"

Politicians are a different story altogether. I am not sure Abe really realized the opposition to amendment within his coalition partners, like New Komeito, would be a problem, before the election. He doesn't have the supermajority he wanted to just do it, now he has to talk and convince people. Whatever mandate he has is based solely on economics and people made that clear. Although that's a mandate coming from the 32% of the population that actually bothered to vote, so...

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Politicians are a different story altogether. I am not sure Abe really realized the opposition to amendment within his coalition partners, like New Komeito, would be a problem, before the election. He doesn't have the supermajority he wanted to just do it, now he has to talk and convince people. Whatever mandate he has is based solely on economics and people made that clear. Although that's a mandate coming from the 32% of the population that actually bothered to vote, so...
I just want to point out that this is exactly why he wanted to rewrite the laws so that you only needed simply majority (50%) instead of supermajority. He knows that he can't pass a reform on supermajority so he's trying to change the rules. Maybe it's just my American viewpoint, but that would leave a bad taste in my month if it was happening to me.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Nonsense posted:

Literally fight any Japanese who claims this.

It's true in the sense that the common man is just a pawn of the powers that be, but, yeah, the war was the fault of the Japanese government, military, and imperial household of the time and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

I thought one of the reasons he wanted to change parts of the constitution, is to lift the ban on Japanese companies exporting weapons. IHI(Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries) and MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) are drooling at the prospect of being able to export tanks and poo poo.

Also the being a total dickwad parts as well.