Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw the papercraft cutscenes and was like "That looks really neat!"

But the game itself looks so bad visually that it baffles me that it's getting so much praise. It looks super slow and like something I'd find on newgrounds and I'm just so confused on it :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Haha, I forgot about that. It did show up the same day as the game appearing on the VC. Trailers should hype something coming soon!
I thought the Oracle of Ages trailer on the eshop was decent. Got me pumped to play the game again after ten years.

Currently running Wind Waker on Dolphin, I realize I forgot how pretty this game is. It's like a playable late-90s Disney movie. Too bad computer can no longer grok it once I get to Windfall Island. I need to experience the rest of this in HD, dammit. I guess I'll be getting the Wii U version.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 3, 2013

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Goddrat does Nintendo know their core demo now.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I've got one coming my way. :whatup:

Something tells me the modest poo poo-eating grin and apprehensive eyebrows are sold separately, though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Whoa holy poo poo that's a Club Nintendo reward? Looks like some of those thousand coins I'm sitting on are finally gonna get spent! Thanks!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Its only 400 coins.

That's actually not too bad.

No Blue Pikmin though. :(

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
This gives me hope that they'll roll out some Zelda rewards for the Windwaker launch. I like the tote bag a lot, I just don't think I'd ever use it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Has Nintendo ever released those Pikmin plushies to the public? I swear it's a running in-joke to see how many new and different ways they can taunt us with the drat things.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

citizenlowell posted:

This gives me hope that they'll roll out some Zelda rewards for the Windwaker launch.

With two Zelda games coming out in October/November, I assume so. I also assume that's when they're saving the Zelda VC releases for. I assume a lot of things.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 3, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

citizenlowell posted:

This gives me hope that they'll roll out some Zelda rewards for the Windwaker launch. I like the tote bag a lot, I just don't think I'd ever use it.

Totes are great for groceries.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

With two Zelda games coming out in October/November, I assume so. I also assume that's when they're saving the Zelda VC releases for. I assume a lot of things.

I'd love if they took that opportunity to also begin rolling out N64 games just so they could get Majora's Mask and OoT on there so they could have all the major classic Zelda's at once (I wouldn't count on GBA games yet and even then it'd only be Minish Cap no doubt). Hell maybe they could use the two Zelda releases as an excuse to re-release Zelda: Four Swords on the 3DS, maybe permanently for that matter. Or a sale like "Buy two Zelda's get the third %50 off."

I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing stuff, except Nintendo probably wouldn't do anything like that.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

The game I've been working on just came out yesterday on the eShop, here's the cheesy-rear end trailer Nintendo made for the launch:

Cloudberry Kingdom Launch Trailer

I was just watching the trailers on the eShop earlier today. The game looks hard as gently caress. I do like the concept but the trailer is probably going to scare away a lot of casuals. 90% of the trailer looks like it's impossible.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has Nintendo ever released those Pikmin plushies to the public? I swear it's a running in-joke to see how many new and different ways they can taunt us with the drat things.

They were available for 2000 Stars each (I think) for a long while. I got two of them in my shelf and I must've ordered them like three years ago?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
When you hit 5k coins you unlock a whole new tier of rewards. You see, my uncle....

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'd love if they took that opportunity to also begin rolling out N64 games just so they could get Majora's Mask and OoT on there so they could have all the major classic Zelda's at once (I wouldn't count on GBA games yet and even then it'd only be Minish Cap no doubt). Hell maybe they could use the two Zelda releases as an excuse to re-release Zelda: Four Swords on the 3DS, maybe permanently for that matter. Or a sale like "Buy two Zelda's get the third %50 off."

I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing stuff, except Nintendo probably wouldn't do anything like that.

Why release Majora's Mask on the Wii U VC when you can release a 3D version as a full priced game on the 3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

UK Club Nintendo made some available a week or two ago, they got snatched up pretty quickly.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I've seen them in toy stores in Japan as well as a bulborb with an inner linning so it could eat the pikmin.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Why release Majora's Mask on the Wii U VC when you can release a 3D version as a full priced game on the 3DS?

Or neither of them, whatever.

I was going to ask "What about Wii U owners who don't have a 3DS?", but I don't think that person actually exists.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That loving Sned posted:

I was going to ask "What about Wii U owners who don't have a 3DS?", but I don't think that person actually exists.

I did, until I bought a 3DS two months ago.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

romanowski posted:

The US box art is gonna be the same except Link will be scowling.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In Japan only. I bought all five when Pikmin 2 was released. Now they're my daughter's.

e: There are a ton on eBay for really cheap.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

Sure they do. I got an original DS at launch, DS Lite at launch, DSi at launch, and felt so loving burned by that last one that I can't get myself to ever buy a DS again.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

antidote posted:

Sure they do. I got an original DS at launch, DS Lite at launch, DSi at launch, and felt so loving burned by that last one that I can't get myself to ever buy a DS again.

I felt so burned by the NES that I can never buy a Super NES again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bought a GBA, GBA Sp, Game Boy Player(contained GBA hardware inside), DS, and DS Lite, so overall purchased the GBA hardware five times. Also had a Game Boy and Game boy color and Super Gameboy, so that's...

6 systems that can play Game Boy games,
4 systems that can play GBC games,
5 GBA,
and since I have a 3DS XL now, that's been 3 DS playing systems.

Nintendo is loving great at getting you to rebuy hardware. I guess technically I have had three systems that can play Gamecube games now, since apparently that actually is possible on Wii-U if you sideload a GC game and get a blutooth controller recognized.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Let's do this.

oops

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I hope so. I've been really wanting to play Zelda 2 on the gamepad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Let's do this.

oops

This comes from nothing, right? Like there can't actually be any reason behind it beyond a marketing department with a really good poker face trying to look like they're doing something?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fallom posted:

This comes from nothing, right? Like there can't actually be any reason behind it beyond a marketing department with a really good poker face trying to look like they're doing something?

It's more that Japan as a country is obsessed with cuteness, I think. Which Americans might not find as appealing.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Americans hate cutesy bullshit, but planting a scowl on a pink puffball's face makes it more rugged and thus more acceptable. It sounds cynical, but there's probably binders full of focus testing to back it up.

And yes, it does paint a sad portrait of our culture.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

He's already got his brow furrowed. He's aiming a weapon off-screen. They're just messing with us at this point, right? A scowl vs. an open mouth?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mennonites Revenge posted:

He's already got his brow furrowed. He's aiming a weapon off-screen. They're just messing with us at this point, right? A scowl vs. an open mouth?

The monoeyes are a little closer too l, but that's not really the point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

antidote posted:

I actually feel very bad for you now.

The 3DS is great, go get one! And Kid Icarus: Uprising!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Am I the only one who seriously cannot play Kid Icarus without my knuckles from locking up in intense pain? Is it better on an XL or something? I haven't touched the game in over a year because it's just not worth the cramps and stretching my fingers out for over an hour. I recognize the game IS a lot of fun but putting this game on the 3DS was a terrible idea.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mennonites Revenge posted:

What gets me the most is the different color of the sky.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Renoistic posted:

What gets me the most is the different color of the sky.

Can't have a pink sky! People might think it's a sequel to Super Princess Peach or something!

:negative:

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

SyRauk posted:

Am I the only one who seriously cannot play Kid Icarus without my knuckles from locking up in intense pain? Is it better on an XL or something? I haven't touched the game in over a year because it's just not worth the cramps and stretching my fingers out for over an hour. I recognize the game IS a lot of fun but putting this game on the 3DS was a terrible idea.

Wrong thread you yo-yo.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Seriously though, Kid Icarus: Downfall on Wii U with IR controls. Make it happen Nintendo. More people need to experience the joy of Kid Icarus.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Knowing Sakurai, it would have every kind of control scheme, all heavily customizable. Dual-analog, IR, and touch-aiming. Everybody wins!

But unless they put someone else on it, dev probably wouldn't start until late 2014.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Supercar Gautier posted:

Knowing Sakurai, it would have every kind of control scheme, all heavily customizable. Dual-analog, IR, and touch-aiming. Everybody wins!

But unless they put someone else on it, dev probably wouldn't start until late 2014.

Pretty sure Sakurai right now does not sleep and is being worked to an eventual early grave on Smash Bros. and a secret Kid Icarus game to be shown at E3 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!
So Pikmin 3, releases tomorrow. Last game I bought for the Wii U (not including New Super Luigi U DLC) was MH3U on Amazon and like a week after I got it I read that target had a buy 2 get 1 free or something like that special going on for Wii U games. Should I sit tight and wait for Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart and hope for a buy 2 deal or should I pull the trigger?

It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I hate paying full price and then getting screwed shortly thereafter.

• Locked thread