Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

jota23 posted:

So, I'm pregnant again. I tested 7 weeks 1 day after my miscarriage, and there are two lines. That second line is faint, mind you, but it's still positive. I never did have a cycle.

I was on vacation and feeling a little off, but I figured it was the difference in climate from high mountain desert to the gulf shores of Florida being flooded by Tropical Storm Andrea. Out of the blue, my three-year-old goddaughter made me cry because she said I hurt her armpit when I picked her up. Seriously. I cried for like an hour. My friend picked me up off the floor, handed me a box of tissues, and took me to the store to buy a pregnancy test.

7 bags of candy, and a pregnancy test later, (did I even need the test by now?), I'm here to announce that I'm not telling anyone. My best friend knows, my husband knows, and now all of you know, but after the loss of the last pregnancy, I'm not counting this chicken until I'm reasonably sure it will hatch. I figure if I'm not going to tell anyone in my life right now, I might as well share my ups and downs with goons in the same boat.

Note:
If you find yourself having to be on a plane for 3 1/2+ hours, talk to the service desk about switching to an aisle seat. Yes, I know you love the window, but trust me. Getting blocked in by a couple dramamine induced coma sleepers when you've gotta go every 20 minutes... Just get an aisle seat.

Yay, congratulations! I hope that everything works out for the absolute best for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Scenty posted:

This is the right thread! However, there are some ladies in the pregnancy thread with bipolar so you might want to crosspost this there.

Some meds are safe for pregnancy and others aren't, she might just need a med change. I assume she has a psychiatrist? All she needs to do is make an appointment with them and tell them of her plans. They can work in tandem with her obgyn.

If she doesn't have an obgyn this would be a good time to see one for pre conception counseling anyways.
Thanks! Will crosspost there!

And thanks for the advice!

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013
Hi ya'll!

I have been lurking in this thread for the better part of a year - the first ten months I would kick my husband off his laptop so I could use his account to follow the posts. Now I'm all joined up and posting because I think the hubby and I are thisclose to really TRYING to get pregnant.

My story:
I was taking birth control pills off and on for ten years (Ortho Tri for the first two and Trivora for the last seven). Back in January I quit the Pill altogether for a few health-related concerns, and because it dawned on me that this year would be the year to try getting knocked up.

My cycles were regular-ish enough, although this last month has been a bit of a doozy. About a week after my last period ended I was struck by this insane need to just...DO my husband. I was hounding him all week, thinking about it at work and even making honest-to-goodness attempts at seducing him. It was nuts...and it was totally reminiscent of the beginning of our relationship, before I got on birth control. I was so psyched, thinking it was a sign my body is really finally "off the pill". I bought a copy of TCOYF, some ovulation strips and pregnancy tests off of Amazon and started charting my temps.

I got as far as determining with temps and strips that I ovulated around June 9. Now that I am getting closer to my period, I am noticing another sign that by body may have kicked all the Pill hormones - my skin is turning to poo poo! :argh: My cheeks are covered in a bunch of small reddish bumps and there is a small patch brewing right in the middle of my forehead. Between this and that fact I have failed to take my last three waking temps - I keep dreaming that I do take my temperature, then wake up to brush my teeth, shower, then realize I didn't take poo poo. Maybe it's because I'm cranky, or maybe it's because I am past ovulation but the super sexy feelings have quietly fizzled out too.

I have read that at least one post by another goonette who was having problems with worsening skin while trying to conceive. Has anyone else here experienced this? Is just now going to be something I will have to deal with at that time of the month, or will I eventually have the face of a 17 year old basement dweller? Has anyone noticed skin changes once they conceive?

Good luck to those trying right now...or planning to try soon!

Stitch Lich fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 19, 2013

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I've been off the pill for 18+ months now post being on it for 10 years straight and have noticed skin changes (increased tendency to acne if I'm not careful, greasier skin at certain parts of my cycle, dryer at others); though my skin hasn't broken out it the way it used to when I was 15/16. Whether its because my hormone levels are adult-normal now or what I don't know. I dare say don't judge how your skin will eventually be based on your puberty skin, but without that exogenous estrogen it definitely won't be the same as when you were on the pill.
For what its worth, you're not the only one who gets antsy around the ovulation period either!

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
The first sign that I was pregnant was a sudden acne breakout. It was like being a teenager again!

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013

nyerf posted:

I've been off the pill for 18+ months now post being on it for 10 years straight and have noticed skin changes (increased tendency to acne if I'm not careful, greasier skin at certain parts of my cycle, dryer at others); though my skin hasn't broken out it the way it used to when I was 15/16. Whether its because my hormone levels are adult-normal now or what I don't know. I dare say don't judge how your skin will eventually be based on your puberty skin, but without that exogenous estrogen it definitely won't be the same as when you were on the pill.
For what its worth, you're not the only one who gets antsy around the ovulation period either!

"Antsy" is one way of putting it... :cheeky:

I had pretty bad acne at 16/17 (why I got on the Pill to begin with). What I am experiencing now isn't the same caliber...just bumps that don't "erupt". My skin is also doing this annoying thing where it is definitely dry, but the t-zone can still oil up more than usual.

Hopefully this is just the "post-ovulation" slump - my skin was pretty non-annoying during the first half of the month.

Thanks for the feedback!

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013

DwemerCog posted:

The first sign that I was pregnant was a sudden acne breakout. It was like being a teenager again!

You know, I took a pregnancy test last night thinking this might be the case but the strip read negative. However, I am about...five or six days away from when my period "should" start. So maybe it is too early...?

I gotta charge the husband with making sure my waking temps get taken, so I have a little more data to work with...

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Well, add me to the club. We started trying last month and I thought I'd hit the jackpot straight away - a few weeks of feeling normal then, suddenly, constant nausea and breakouts! But I tested yesterday and it's negative, so maybe my body is just freaking out over lack of hormone regulation? If I'm getting all the fun of morning sickness without the pregnancy to go along with it, I realllly hope this doesn't last very long. Or maybe I tested too early? I'm two days past my expected period, but this would be my first not regulated by the birth control so who knows what my cycle's like now. I think I'll just chill out for a week and test again later.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

It can take up to a year supposedly for your cycle to return to 'normal' after being on the pill.

Normal in this case being whatever your periods were like before you went on the pill, assuming you weren't still in puberty then. I think most start showing faint positives at 3 2 weeks gestational age (around the time of your missed period), and should definitely be positive by the time you're 2 weeks post missed period, give or take a few days. Check the test manual though, it should say when the best time is to test. Blood tests are more accurate for beta HCG levels, they start rising just days after conception. Morning sickness isn't a given symptom, but that generally starts later, about 6-7 weeks gestational age in at the earliest I would've thought.

Most 6 week old pregnancies I've scanned have had no symptoms beyond the missed period but that's possibly just anecdotal.

e: I went back and looked stuff up for clarity.

According to wiki you can experience some amount of mild nausea related to estrogen levels in pill use, but it wasn't specific as to whether it was nausea post withdrawal of exogenous estrogen or what. If it helps, the normal trigger for your uterus to start shedding its lining is estrogen levels hitting their low point in your cycle.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2013

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, definitely check to make sure you're taking the test at the right time of day (usually first thing after you wake up). I had a false negative after testing at the end of the day, the next morning I retested and was positive. This was only two days after I had already missed my period too. Although it would seem to be a little early to have any kind of symptoms.

New Weave Wendy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 28, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Sweet Gulch posted:

Well, add me to the club. We started trying last month and I thought I'd hit the jackpot straight away - a few weeks of feeling normal then, suddenly, constant nausea and breakouts! But I tested yesterday and it's negative, so maybe my body is just freaking out over lack of hormone regulation? If I'm getting all the fun of morning sickness without the pregnancy to go along with it, I realllly hope this doesn't last very long. Or maybe I tested too early? I'm two days past my expected period, but this would be my first not regulated by the birth control so who knows what my cycle's like now. I think I'll just chill out for a week and test again later.

After being on the pill non-stop for 12-13 years, my cycles apparenly returned as 6 week cycles :v: Well, I think they did, I got one period 6 weeks after quitting, then a positive test 6 weeks after that.

And as the others mentioned, any "symptoms" at this point are mostly just symptoms of paying obsessively close attention to anything your body is doing and feeling and trying to match it with lists of early pregnancy signs. I was so sure I felt all kinds of things when I thought I'd missed my period, then after a couple of negative tests I felt fine for two weeks, and then I got the positive test out of the blue.

So yeah, chilling out and trying again later if your period doesn't show up really is the best course of action at this point :)

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

And as the others mentioned, any "symptoms" at this point are mostly just symptoms of paying obsessively close attention to anything your body is doing and feeling and trying to match it with lists of early pregnancy signs. I was so sure I felt all kinds of things when I thought I'd missed my period, then after a couple of negative tests I felt fine for two weeks, and then I got the positive test out of the blue.

Thing is, I didn't consider the nausea to be a possible symptom at all - until it stuck around for two weeks (and still counting) and I could no longer discount it as a stomach bug. I don't mean I feel a little queasy once in a while, I have to rush to the washroom dry-heaving if I don't graze regularly. A quick google for "nausea after birth control" brought up some ladies that had experienced it despite not being pregnant, though that's anecdotal.

All the other possible symptoms, though? Yeah, I'm certain I'm just paying too close attention to stuff like slight cramping or breast tenderness. Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize first thing at the morning was the best time to test, so I'll definitely try that in a week or two if my period doesn't show up. Oh, bodies, why are you so baffling?

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I'm 7 weeks today. That means I am officially one day past the point where I miscarried in the last pregnancy. I've been super paranoid over every cramp this last week. I am oddly comforted by making it this far. I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but at least we've gotten this far!

My ultrasound is on Friday, and thanks to your feedback to my out of character, pregnancy-induced rage rant, I now know that the full bladder is used as the lens! Full bladder it is!

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

Congratulations, Jota! :)

Well, after I posted on the internet about it, my period did show up. On the bright side, the nausea has faded away significantly. Hopefully my hormones will sort themselves out and I'll be free of it next cycle!

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013
Congrats, Jota! Wonderful news! Just breathe deep and keep knitting... :)

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Oh, knitting is directly tied to my sanity. I just bought a few batts called Zombie Party. I have a feeling these will make the cutest baby goth outfit.

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013
Sooooo I had my annual exam today and told the doc that my husband and I want to start trying for a baby this year :dance: I go back in tomorrow to get blood drawn to make sure I have MMR antibodies (I most likely do, but I don't have any records to show for it - my alma mater's health clinic claims to have no record of giving me the shot).

And tomorrow I should be getting a call from a genetic counselor to schedule an appointment. This is going to sound dangerously close to not being about trying to get pregnant, but I swear the question I have will bring us back home: the story is my husband's brother has some sort of chromosomal disorder. Allegedly there was no name for it 27 years ago when he was born and the gene study was conducted. Their parents have done nothing since then to learn anything else about it due to discomfort/ambivalence/whatever. According to their mom, the abnormality is due to the fact she didn't know she was pregnant when she worked in and around the x-ray room (she's an RN). According to their dad, it is something that totally runs in the family and it happened because two cousins married each other 80 years ago and it shows up every other generation. Yes, I wanted to do this :flame: when he told me that. Despite that superstitious backwater pseudoscience nonsense there is a second cousin on their side who looks and acts a lot like my brother-in-law, has the same level of functionality, similar disabilities etc (he is from my FIL's generation.) Yeah, it could be a coincidence, but...what if it isn't? The one thing they can both agree on is that "the 17th chromosome is indented into the 18th", which isn't even a thing according to Google and my OB/GYN. Their dad is working on getting copies of the gene study for us so we can take it to the counselor and see if hubby should get screened.

My question for you ladies (and possibly fellas) in this thread is: Have any of you had genetic counseling before or during the "trying to conceive" period?

Stitch Lich fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 9, 2013

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yes. My wife and I had it after our 3rd miscarriage. I have no idea what they checked for but I came up clean and my wife was identified as having Leiden V Factor. This could actually be a cause of the miscarriages and during the first trimester of this pregnancy my wife was on blood thinners to prevent clotting and lack of blood flow to the embryo.

I should ask for a copy of the results and see exactly what they did.

Also update for the thread since the last time I posted. We just hit 6 months and it's a girl ;-*. My wife had a few more episodes of bleeding during her 3rd and 4th month and they've determined that it's a Placental Abruption, but it's not been a problem in a few months.

Keep trying folks. It took us a long long time but we were lucky. Good luck to all.

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013

Canuckistan posted:

Also update for the thread since the last time I posted. We just hit 6 months and it's a girl ;-*.

Congrats, Canuckistan!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Hi everyone, I had posted this in the pregnancy thread, but this one seems more appropriate for our experience.

My wife and I are currently trying for our first child. She has now had two miscarriages. The first one occurred pretty early, around 6 weeks or so. This last one was at about 10 weeks just a few days after having our first ultrasound. My wife also had a lot of bloodwork done as well as a full physical during the second pregnancy. All results came back normal.

My wife is in great health but is 38 years old. So perhaps that is a problem...?

She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow (Wednesday). What kind of things should we be asking the Doctor here? This last miscarriage was pretty hard on my wife and I really don't want her going through a third. Any thoughts or stories you can share would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Unfortunately I don't have any great advice. Two miscarriages is not as uncommon as you may think. Since every pregnancy has a 10%-25% chance of miscarriage it's very possible that you may have gotten the crappy odds twice in a row. Generally after three miscarriages in a row they'll start looking at other factors such as genetic testing.

Unfortunately your wife's age may be a factor. I read that 40 year old women may have twice the chance to miscarriage than a 20 year old.

I won't bore the thread with my details but you can look back in the thread if you're interested in a situation similar to yours. The tl;dr is that we had multiple miscarriages but the last pregnancy stuck and we're expecting in November.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just want to vent about this for a few minutes. My wife and I have been trying for about 6 months now to have a baby, she had an IUD in for years before that and her period is super regular now (before the IUD it was not) but I feel she is starting to blame herself about the fact we aren't pregnant yet.

Has anyone else gone through a similar thing? We are doing all the methods and we have both me checked out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It took me 3 years to get knocked up! I had an undiagnosed thyroid issue. The first month my thyroid levels were normal, I got pregnant.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

I just want to vent about this for a few minutes. My wife and I have been trying for about 6 months now to have a baby, she had an IUD in for years before that and her period is super regular now (before the IUD it was not) but I feel she is starting to blame herself about the fact we aren't pregnant yet.

Has anyone else gone through a similar thing? We are doing all the methods and we have both me checked out.

It took me 7 months to conceive and by month 4 I was going pretty mental and crying lots/ordering sperm detector tests off amazon. Sometimes it just takes a while but I know it made me feel like a massive failure.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Have her read the book taking charge of your fertility if she hasn't already. I have a copy I can send to you if you are interested.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

sheri posted:

Have her read the book taking charge of your fertility if she hasn't already. I have a copy I can send to you if you are interested.

Seconding this. It's really worth it.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

It took me 8 months to get pregnant with no issues whatsoever aside from our timing being slightly off until I really buckled down with ovulation tests. There really is kind of a narrow window every month during which women are fertile, so it's worth it to begin tracking ovulation. That will also tell you guys that she is in fact ovulating. My husband went for sperm analysis, which was totally normal, and I was scheduled for a hysterosalpingogram (I think that's what it's called) to get checked out. I ended up needing to reschedule it, and the day I was to have the test is the day I likely conceived. Even if you're both relatively young and healthy it can take up to a year to conceive and some OBs don't begin testing for problems before a year has passed.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I finally got pregnant three weeks before we hit a full year. We started eating healthier and exercising every day for about 2 months before, so I feel like that had a lot to do with it.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Hey thread!

Earlier this month my husband and I decided that despite our earlier and vehement insisting that one baby was enough and that we didn't want a second that we both want a second and are trying as of this month.

Our first daughter was born after four years of trying. A large part of the reason it took so long was because I have PCOS and previously my period would just...not happen, for up to 8 months at a time. I decided to buckle down, lost 80lbs and within four months of hitting that milestone my period was back consistently every month and started hard core tracking now that there was something to actually track. After about 6 months of failing to conceive, we decided that the stress of trying to conceive was making sex really un-fun, so we stopped tracking around my birthday and decided that sex for fun, whenever, was how we were going to approach it.

So of course I got pregnant like right away and had to miss out on fun winter hot-tubbing and booze in favour of barfing for about 5 months straight. It was a miserable pregnancy that ended in an emergency c-section when she was 2 weeks overdue and didn't take well to a scheduled induction. I felt like I'd been hit by a car for about 4 months afterwards, and my hormones went absolutely nuts after she was born and I was hit with some serious PPD until I decided to stop breastfeeding at three weeks.

My daughter will be a year old next month, and we're at the point where I'll be 30 next year. If we don't have a second, I know that I will always wonder what if, and I don't want to come to this same decision when I'm 35+. I also don't want kids still in highschool when I'm over 50. My career is pretty much on the back burner until we're completely done with having kids, so we're eager to get this done with.

I'm not expecting to get pregnant right away--after the birth of my daughter, my period seems to have decided that it needs to last one day longer than it did before, and because of that all of my previous tracking data is probably worthless. I have no idea how long my cycle is, and no idea how to determine how long it is because I kinda got lazy before this past month and haven't tracked it at all. This is probably going to be a long and frustrating process, and I don't want to even hint to anyone I know personally (especially not my mother) that we're trying because the pressure is awful every month you're still not pregnant if you have someone asking you about it every goddamn week.

So I'll probably be hanging around in here until it happens, so, uh, hi. :)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sheri posted:

Already done, already on an ovulation test that when we first started wasn't giving any reading till we went to a doctor and it just wasn't reading due to a medicine that she is on. We know the full cycle pretty well.

I guess it's just making us feel like failures about things.

Get_Fuzzy
Nov 15, 2003
So my husband and I have been trying for about two cycles (which is nothing in the long run) and I was looking for ovulation tests to try and improve our odds. I then came across the saliva ovulation test, which sounds awesome. According to the publications I've read your saliva will contain the increased amounts of salt and estrogen and will create a ferning pattern when dry (as the saliva dries on a slide it will make a fern leaf pattern) usually 2-3 days prior to ovulation. Since I work in a lab and have access to slides and microscope this seems like it would a relatively non-invasive reproducible method to check for ovulation. Plus amazon carries this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGTTLNQ?psc=1 It's a pocket lipstick scope to check your saliva and it cracks me up. Anyway at the end of my nerdy excitement is my question. Has anyone used this method to test for ovulation ?

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

I've never personally heard of it, but it seems like a whole lot of effort to go to when you could literally just check your mucus secretions when you go to the bathroom just as easily if not more easily. Increased mucus/"egg-white" secretions from the cervix/in the vagina can be reliably observed in the couple of days before and during ovulation. And it'd be hell of a lot less prone to vague interpretation you'd think. I mean, gently caress, people obsess over whether or not their ovulation strips are showing a goddamn line or not, never mind how 'fern-like' a bit of dried saliva is going to look.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

nyerf posted:

I've never personally heard of it, but it seems like a whole lot of effort to go to when you could literally just check your mucus secretions when you go to the bathroom just as easily if not more easily. Increased mucus/"egg-white" secretions from the cervix/in the vagina can be reliably observed in the couple of days before and during ovulation. And it'd be hell of a lot less prone to vague interpretation you'd think. I mean, gently caress, people obsess over whether or not their ovulation strips are showing a goddamn line or not, never mind how 'fern-like' a bit of dried saliva is going to look.

The cervical mucus thing is not as easy to discern as it sounds; not everyone will produce discernible amounts and what looks fertile to one person will seem maybe not so to another. Urine test strips are the easiest way to detect ovulation imo, there's no interpretation involved, you literally just need to see a line that looks identical to the control line. And a billion of them cost like $5 on amazon.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

The cervical mucus thing is not as easy to discern as it sounds; not everyone will produce discernible amounts and what looks fertile to one person will seem maybe not so to another. Urine test strips are the easiest way to detect ovulation imo, there's no interpretation involved, you literally just need to see a line that looks identical to the control line. And a billion of them cost like $5 on amazon.

I agree, maybe I'm just not in tune enough with my cervical secretions but it pretty much all looked the same to me. Peeing on a stick was the easiest, expecially after I got a positive one and didn't have to guess how dark the line might go. Temperature charting worked as well for me.

The fern thing does sound interesting though, if they don't cost too much I would get it just out of 'oooh that's cool' and use the peeing on sticks at the same time.

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013
Trying to not feel discouraged right now. :sigh:

The last three cycles I have been charting my fertility using all of the techniques from TCOYF. I was feeling great because I was learning so much about myself. And I could actually TELL when I was fertile! It felt like I could do this getting knocked up thing.

But the last cycle was off. My waking temps didn't shift up very dramatically and the cervical fluid was wet all the way up until my period. Now I am a week into this cycle and my temps are LOW. Very low. Sub-97 degrees low. My skin turned super dry and the weirdest thing of all is that my tongue became so swollen last week that I actually cut it on a tooth while eating. TCOYF and the internet are telling me these are all signs of hypothyroidism.

So I haul my rear end to the doctor's office and they draw blood for a CBC, B12, Iron and thyroid check. They say everything looks fine, but my T3 is 3.953 mcIU/mL. According to their lab's reference range this is totally normal (0.35 - 4.5), but according to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists the recommended range is 0.3 - 3.0 and anything outside of that should be considered a mild thyroid disorder.

I have an appointment set up with my gyno next week to discuss the implications this has for my chance of conception, and see if she wants to refer me to a specialist.

Whatever it turns out to be, I am sure it is entirely manageable. It's just that the worst part about all of this is that I can SEE it happening between my waking temps dipping lower and lower on the chart, and the obvious lack of cervical fluid change day after day. It's like watching the opportunity to finally have that baby my husband and I have been talking about for years slipping away. :cry:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have a thyroid disorder and I was still able to get pregnant once I was medicated properly so its not the end of the world, it might just take a little longer to get yourself sorted out. You really want to have normal thyroid function when you're pregnant because being hyper or hypo thyroid can mess with the baby and yourself.

Stitch Lich
Apr 27, 2013
Alterian, did you have known thyroid issues before trying to get knocked up, or did you discover them during the process?

I talked with my gyno today, and she wants me to wait it out. According to her thyroid issues are more insidious, so despite being symptomatic she doesn't think I have what can be qualified as a disorder yet. My next test will be in six weeks, and she'll test my T4 and Prolactin in addition to TSH. So I am going to try as hard as possible not to get anxious and stress my poo poo out even more than it has been, between family issues and my new job.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure I had a thyroid issue for a good chunk of my adult life but it was never diagnosed. I had pretty much every symptom of being hypothyroid for a very long time, but all the blood work doctors ever did was always normal/borderline low, and they would never even do a full set of them. My mom has the same issue. She was pretty sure she was hypothyroid her whole life. She had all the symptoms, but she didn't get diagnosed officially until she was in her 50's.

I didn't get diagnosed with a thyroid issue until for some reason my thyroid became hyperthyroid a couple summers ago and I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I was pretty shocked when they said I was hyperthyroid. I thought I was having an allergy issue or some sort of stomach issue and it never occurred to me. It took a while for them to get my medication sorted out so I went really hypothyroid for a while. It amazing how I felt exactly like how I use to feel when the doctors told me nothing was wrong with me while I was in a medication induced hypothyroid state. I'm completely off medication now for it. I actually need to go in for a blood test. I've been feeling hypothyroid again, but I have a fear they're going to tell me my blood tests are normal/borderline and they're not going to do anything so I'll just feel lovely the rest of my life.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Alterian posted:

I'm pretty sure I had a thyroid issue for a good chunk of my adult life but it was never diagnosed. I had pretty much every symptom of being hypothyroid for a very long time, but all the blood work doctors ever did was always normal/borderline low, and they would never even do a full set of them. My mom has the same issue. She was pretty sure she was hypothyroid her whole life. She had all the symptoms, but she didn't get diagnosed officially until she was in her 50's.

I didn't get diagnosed with a thyroid issue until for some reason my thyroid became hyperthyroid a couple summers ago and I was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I was pretty shocked when they said I was hyperthyroid. I thought I was having an allergy issue or some sort of stomach issue and it never occurred to me. It took a while for them to get my medication sorted out so I went really hypothyroid for a while. It amazing how I felt exactly like how I use to feel when the doctors told me nothing was wrong with me while I was in a medication induced hypothyroid state. I'm completely off medication now for it. I actually need to go in for a blood test. I've been feeling hypothyroid again, but I have a fear they're going to tell me my blood tests are normal/borderline and they're not going to do anything so I'll just feel lovely the rest of my life.

Alterian, does your kid have thyroid issues? I had a really severe problem with Graves' Disease about 9 years ago and my son had elevated TSH for a few weeks after he was born. Apparently the antibodies your body produces that attack the thyroid can cross the placenta and cause issues for baby. I had no idea that was a possibility. Simon has been on synthroid since he was 3 weeks old and has had normal levels ever since, but they won't do a trial of taking him off of it until he's 3.

So yeah anyway long story short get your thyroid checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So far no. I was in treatment for Graves so I was on medication while I was pregnant. By the time I got knocked up, I didn't have any antibodies in my system. I had to have my blood tested every month for all my thyroid functions. Luckily I could get the blood drawn at my OB and my endocrinologist would talk to me on the phone about my results so I wouldn't have yet another doctors office to go to all the time. I was worried he would have issues because of my medication, but the issue he could of had didn't happen. It was rough though. If I stopped taking the medication, I could have gotten sick again, but there was a slight chance he could have aplasia cutis congenita. My 18 months on it were done by the end of pregnancy so I was off of it when he was born. He came out ok with no issues!

• Locked thread