Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

quote:

Boost of confidence given by gear caused the rider to ride unsafely (Safety gear != invulnerability, or feeling invulnerable)

This is me off the bike. Come at me bro :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

Boost of confidence given by gear caused the rider to ride unsafely (Safety gear != invulnerability, or feeling invulnerable)

This is me. I do this. I never ate poo poo really hard until I started wearing all the pads and a chest protector on the trails; then the mindset is something like "weeee I got this!" met quickly with a jarring impact on something like a blackberry bramble-covered rock, a tree, or an endo down a hill. Once I get a neck brace, I'll probably die.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

Once I get a neck brace, I'll probably die.

If I see you at walker valley on a 70's scrambler wearing a $500 neck brace, I will have a chuckle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You'd be amazed at how well I can fling myself off of it when I am being brave.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

This is me. I do this. I never ate poo poo really hard until I started wearing all the pads and a chest protector on the trails; then the mindset is something like "weeee I got this!" met quickly with a jarring impact on something like a blackberry bramble-covered rock, a tree, or an endo down a hill. Once I get a neck brace, I'll probably die.

Again there's a particularly weird kernel of truth at the heart of this. Death rates in car accidents tend to decline considerably more slowly in time as you'd expect as car safety increases - people just get in shitloads more accidents.

I can't remember the exact details but there was one particularly striking case in (I think) the back woods of Canada. They have loads of unguarded, ungated level crossings between very quiet roads and very quiet rail lines. In an attempt to decrease the surprisingly high death rates at such crossings they cut the forests back to allow car drivers to see further down the rail line, from further away - and death rates doubled because car drivers were actually taking *less* care at the crossings than before.

(This incidentally is also the thinking behind the, at first glance lunatic, shared space concept - by removing the feeling of security that people get from separated pedestrian, cycle path, and road, everyone slows down and watches what they're doing much more. Bizarrely it seems to work in some areas but probably wouldn't work if everyone did it because of course the difference from the norm is what causes the change in behaviour)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I read something similar, but I'm not sure if it's a myth or not. Supposedly, the Layer Dan Freedom Riders in South Dakota lobbied hard to get the helmet laws repealed, and somehow succeeded. In the years afterwards, there was a fivefold increase in the number of motorcycle-related deaths in the state. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

nsaP posted:

I don't get tired of people looking at me like I'm the idiot either.

I'm somewhat used to that feeling, but riding through southeastern Ohio, northeastern West Virginia today reached a new level. As I was walking out of the gas station convenience store in full mesh gear, 3 guys on fairly new BMW F800GSs rolled in with tshirts, shorts, sneakers and no helmets. And I was the crazy one based on how they were staring at me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Again there's a particularly weird kernel of truth at the heart of this. Death rates in car accidents tend to decline considerably more slowly in time as you'd expect as car safety increases - people just get in shitloads more accidents.

I can't remember the exact details but there was one particularly striking case in (I think) the back woods of Canada. They have loads of unguarded, ungated level crossings between very quiet roads and very quiet rail lines. In an attempt to decrease the surprisingly high death rates at such crossings they cut the forests back to allow car drivers to see further down the rail line, from further away - and death rates doubled because car drivers were actually taking *less* care at the crossings than before.

(This incidentally is also the thinking behind the, at first glance lunatic, shared space concept - by removing the feeling of security that people get from separated pedestrian, cycle path, and road, everyone slows down and watches what they're doing much more. Bizarrely it seems to work in some areas but probably wouldn't work if everyone did it because of course the difference from the norm is what causes the change in behaviour)

We have a few of these in my town and they work as far as safety is concerned, but they also make the road basically worthless if you want to get anywhere in under half an hour. Good idea for urban centers though.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

red19fire posted:

I read something similar, but I'm not sure if it's a myth or not. Supposedly, the Layer Dan Freedom Riders in South Dakota lobbied hard to get the helmet laws repealed, and somehow succeeded. In the years afterwards, there was a fivefold increase in the number of motorcycle-related deaths in the state. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

They reduced their helmet laws in the 70's.

The most recent is Michigan (last year) which saw an immediately large increase in deaths and injury in 2012, but it also had a longer riding season, and distracted driver use is up (2012 had an increase in deaths and injury country wide). So it's hard to point at a single season and say yes, this is a direct correlation.

What is a pretty direct correlation is this : Michigan has seen a 22 percent rise in medical insurance claim costs associated with cycle crashes. Meaning no helmet = more traumatic recovery at a bare minimum. Though, that's not perfect either because injury claims and health insurance increase tremendously every year as well.

We'll need a few years of data to let the lack of helmets be the only significant factor in the overall stats. Though this won't help convince anybody who needs stats to prove their skull is less effective than a helmet anyway.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So a co-worker of mine is an approx 50 year old lady. Single, a bit of a cougar (in a good way), but quite pretty and keeps herself in shape. Anyhow, she loves bikes and knows I ride. She wants to get into it and signed up for a safety course as per my recommendation. She however discovered that she has some medical condition which comes and goes which effects her balance, so she had to withdraw.

HOWEVER, her best friend (similar age and mindset albeit married) still went through with the course and got her license, which is good. She then promptly went out and bought a Harley as her first bike. Not the baby sportster either. Not sure what it is exactly, but it wasn't small.

So, my co-worker came up to me yesterday to let me know she had the bike for 3 days and got in a wreck. She is going to be fine but has 2 broken legs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

They reduced their helmet laws in the 70's.

The most recent is Michigan (last year) which saw an immediately large increase in deaths and injury in 2012, but it also had a longer riding season, and distracted driver use is up (2012 had an increase in deaths and injury country wide). So it's hard to point at a single season and say yes, this is a direct correlation.

What is a pretty direct correlation is this : Michigan has seen a 22 percent rise in medical insurance claim costs associated with cycle crashes. Meaning no helmet = more traumatic recovery at a bare minimum. Though, that's not perfect either because injury claims and health insurance increase tremendously every year as well.

We'll need a few years of data to let the lack of helmets be the only significant factor in the overall stats. Though this won't help convince anybody who needs stats to prove their skull is less effective than a helmet anyway.

I think the interesting comparison would year-on-year single-bike crashes versus year-on-year total crashes, that may get closer to revealing what (if any) effect risk compensation is having. I'm still willing to bet a fairly massive amount of money that even if it showed a positive correlation that the amount of injuries and deaths will still be way up, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

slidebite posted:

So a co-worker of mine is an approx 50 year old lady. Single, a bit of a cougar (in a good way), but quite pretty and keeps herself in shape. Anyhow, she loves bikes and knows I ride. She wants to get into it and signed up for a safety course as per my recommendation. She however discovered that she has some medical condition which comes and goes which effects her balance, so she had to withdraw.

HOWEVER, her best friend (similar age and mindset albeit married) still went through with the course and got her license, which is good. She then promptly went out and bought a Harley as her first bike. Not the baby sportster either. Not sure what it is exactly, but it wasn't small.

So, my co-worker came up to me yesterday to let me know she had the bike for 3 days and got in a wreck. She is going to be fine but has 2 broken legs.

Jesus Christ 2 broken legs? How do you even do that? Any gear involved?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You hit a car/guard rail. Not much that gear will do for that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have no idea really and neither did her friend. I'll probably hear more next week if I remember to ask.

No idea about what she had on for gear and the rash situation though. Hopefully (?) since she went through the course that would have been drilled into her.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I work right across from a Harley dealership so I see the "new rider on a bike that is way too big for them" thing all the time. I watch them wobble their way around corners while dressed in the Harley uniform they just bought after needlessly revving the engine at a stoplight nearly every day. Watching them take turns make ME nervous. I don't know why someone would want a 700lb bike as their first one, I thought my KZ 750 was really heavy when I started, I can't imagine dealing with that right away.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

I have no idea really and neither did her friend. I'll probably hear more next week if I remember to ask.

No idea about what she had on for gear and the rash situation though. Hopefully (?) since she went through the course that would have been drilled into her.

So are you going to console (i.e., have sex with) the single-cougar lady? Unless this story ends with some kind of banging, the "Penthouse Forum" opening to tell us that a friend of a friend wrecked her HD falls kind of flat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My wife would probably not appreciate that so probably not.

I gave the opening background though to give the type of person. 50ish, female, no bike experience, midlife crisis type of thing.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

My wife would probably not appreciate that so probably not.

I gave the opening background though to give the type of person. 50ish, female, no bike experience, midlife crisis type of thing.

You should certainly clear things with the wife, and she might say no. Until you ask, however, don't rule anything out . . . :corrupt:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

and it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Overheard stupid life advice poo poo thread.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SimplyCosmic posted:

I'm somewhat used to that feeling, but riding through southeastern Ohio, northeastern West Virginia today reached a new level. As I was walking out of the gas station convenience store in full mesh gear, 3 guys on fairly new BMW F800GSs rolled in with tshirts, shorts, sneakers and no helmets. And I was the crazy one based on how they were staring at me.
Those bikes were stolen. No BMW owner rides like that.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I came across more BMW/Triumph adventure bikes yesterday and today in northeast West Virginia than I've seen in the last two years in Ohio, and only one of them had even a jacket on in addition to their helmet. It's a gear Twilight Zone.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Those BMW's seem to be common rental bikes, no way they owned them - I've only seen BMW owners in full gear - usually with yellow reflectors all over. Now that I think about it, the only people I usually see in gear are BMW owners...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A vest from my club is all the protection I need. My brothers have my back.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Voltage posted:

Those BMW's seem to be common rental bikes, no way they owned them - I've only seen BMW owners in full gear - usually with yellow reflectors all over. Now that I think about it, the only people I usually see in gear are BMW owners...

BMW really like selling you their gear and tend to give really good discounts when you're buying a bike.

They spent more than two hours with me fitting and trying out different gear, a level of service I've not seen anywhere else. Taking the discount into account I paid about $100 less for the BMW System 6 Helmet than I would have paid for the Shoei Neotec I was keen on.

I guess BMW just really cares about my money me :allears:

Edit: I also like the fact that even though you are covered in BMW gear from head to toe you don't look like you've been sponsored by BMW. Just about every other brand of riding gear love their own drat logo way too much. The Arai logo is ugly :colbert:

Batcat! Batcat! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 1, 2013

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Two of my favorite BMW gear stories was seeing a pack of BMW bikes on the street that must have been some mass test drive for a HOG club. All of the riders had skid-lids, fringe, and chaps. I did a double take. :aaaaa:

Also, at my local liquor store I see a BMW GS with the aluminum hard panniers looking all adventure-y. The rider, much to my surprise, was in full leathers, with a leather vest that had a 3 part MC patch.

Here in Connecticut I actually see a fair number of people, especially if I see them commuting, wearing gear. Maybe 40%?

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

It's been a while since I've seen someone on my commute on a motor cycle without at least a jacket and a helmet (Pretoria to Johannesburg in South Africa). Weekends are a different story though. 1200 GS is the most common motorcycle on our roads so that might go some ways to explaining it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was coming back from work on my DRZ and stopped to dick around at a construction site on the way home. Had a blast, saw a couple dual sport guys in full leathers on the way back. Literally as I turn onto my street I see a piece of poo poo on a gold, stretched gixxer with absolutely no gear on. Whenever I see people on Harleys without any gear I just write it off as being normal. When I see people on sportbikes without gear I just can't believe how loving stupid they look.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Skid-Lid-Helmets?range=&sort1desc=F&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE&gclid=COm1m6fu3rgCFY6k4AodTEsADA

idiots posted:

Skid Lid Helmets - Original Skid Lids

Skid lids take the look and feel of a novelty helmet, but give it enough spunk to be DOT approved. Combining functionality style and safety, Skid Lids have been gaining momentum with riders who want a slim, form-fitting half helmet that avoids that “mushroom” look with a modern graphic twist. If you are looking for a style of helmet that is the bare minimum you can get by with by the cops, Skid Lids are the way for you to go. These helmets are very popular for cruiser riders. The best part is we have them at amazing low prices! Best sellers are tagged to make ordering easy and feature Skid Lid reviews.

These things got a whole page in the front of a catalog that Motorcycle Superstore sent me with an order. Fits the thread perfectly except the "overheard" part...

Also: the derogatory term "skid lid" is now trademarked. Your cease-and-desist letters are in the mail :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I prefer the term "brain bucket" anyway.

Also those helmets look like something I wouldn't even wear for bicycling.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

apatite posted:

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Skid-Lid-Helmets?range=&sort1desc=F&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE&gclid=COm1m6fu3rgCFY6k4AodTEsADA

These things got a whole page in the front of a catalog that Motorcycle Superstore sent me with an order. Fits the thread perfectly except the "overheard" part...

Also: the derogatory term "skid lid" is now trademarked. Your cease-and-desist letters are in the mail :)

Those things are just adorable, because they're pretty much what they give to little girls on their first pony ride.

(Also "skid lid" has prior art going back to at least the 1950s in the UK - Tony Hancock used it dismissively when describing an (unseen, cos it was the radio) biker played by Kenneth Williams :colbert:)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Layer Dan strikes again.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/2-year-old-causes-dayton-motorcycle-crash/nY5Jr/

quote:

John J. Golden was riding a maroon 1979 Harley Davidson going west on Fourth when the child ran out into the road from between two parked cars, according to the report.

Golden laid the bike down and avoided striking the boy.

Police noted when officers arrived the man was sitting on the curb in obvious pain because of the possible fracture. He was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
And he will be celebrated by all as a hero for crashing his bike instead of stopping.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When people lay down a bike to avoid hitting something, where do they think the bike is going to go?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

thylacine posted:

And he will be celebrated by all as a hero for crashing his bike instead of stopping.

Every time I hear a layer dan story I think about emergency braking situations where instead of layin' 'er down and becoming a hero, I came to a safe stop and continued on to my destination.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

When people lay down a bike to avoid hitting something, where do they think the bike is going to go?

Definitely doesn't turn into a 500 pound unmanned/unguided projectile heading in the same general direction as before.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Definitely doesn't turn into a 500 pound unmanned/unguided projectile heading in the same general direction as before.

Haha I was thinking if he had just kept going he probably would have missed the kid, but I guess "rider spooked by child loses control of motorcycle" doesn't have much of a ring to it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
This kind of thing happens to competent riders every day but it's not a news story because they brake appropriately and carry on their way.

Every time I hear a crash story like that I can't help but wonder if it was easily avoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Also "skid lid" has prior art going back to at least the 1950s in the UK - Tony Hancock used it dismissively when describing an (unseen, cos it was the radio) biker played by Kenneth Williams :colbert:)

And there was me thinking I was the campest biker in Britain.

• Locked thread