Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

bows1 posted:

Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Looks fabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8TxKJG8q8A

I hope Walter doesn't actually go across the world and have a life-changing adventure. That would be pretty much directly against the spirit of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
From the synopsis I read, I'm pretty sure he does.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Here's one of the press blurbs:

quote:

A remake of the classic 1947 film, the story sees Stiller play bored office worker Walter Mitty, who spends his days creating elaborate fantasy worlds for himself in which he gets to live a life of adventure while romancing co-worker Kristen Wiig.

However, when both their jobs are threatened in the real world, Walter finally shakes off his lethargy and sets off on a global journey to introduce some genuine excitement into his life.

Hm. I'm not sure about that. I guess the source material is a bit thin to be a feature-length film. The visuals and general spirit definitely seem to be there though.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
So I just experienced Jackass anything by watching Jackass 1 and 2 on Netflix yesterday. My wife complained at first, and I wasn't sure that I wasn't going to like it, but those things wore us down into some pretty hard laughter pretty quickly. In other words, you guys were right. Those movies are hilarious, and I guess I was being stubborn by insisting that comedies needed an actual plot.

Interestingly, I thought the old man character featured in Bad Grandpa was the weakest of the skits (with the exception of the scene where he was hanging out of his shorts). I'd be much more excited for a movie featuring even more of Bam's parents.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a whole show about torturing Bam's parents.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

So I just experienced Jackass anything by watching Jackass 1 and 2 on Netflix yesterday. My wife complained at first, and I wasn't sure that I wasn't going to like it, but those things wore us down into some pretty hard laughter pretty quickly. In other words, you guys were right. Those movies are hilarious, and I guess I was being stubborn by insisting that comedies needed an actual plot.

Interestingly, I thought the old man character featured in Bad Grandpa was the weakest of the skits (with the exception of the scene where he was hanging out of his shorts). I'd be much more excited for a movie featuring even more of Bam's parents.

You might be surprised to learn that despite your newfound appreciation for the franchise, you have formed the worst possible opinion about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ror posted:

Here's one of the press blurbs:

Hm. I'm not sure about that. I guess the source material is a bit thin to be a feature-length film. The visuals and general spirit definitely seem to be there though.

So basically, it's Around The World in 80 Days with a bootstrapping American instead of a wealthy Englishman?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

Bam had a whole show to himself, and also is more or less universally disliked by the rest of the crew, dating back to the pre-Jackass days from when they did these stunts on videos for a band called CKY.

Bam sucks :( Oh and RIP Ryan Dunn :(

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Waffles Inc. posted:

Bam had a whole show to himself, and also is more or less universally disliked by the rest of the crew, dating back to the pre-Jackass days from when they did these stunts on videos for a band called CKY.

Well Bam didn't leave much of an impression on me either way. It's his dad's lack of reaction/willingness to help coupled with his mom's screams that I enjoyed.

Edit: Dunn explaining to Bam's mom why he branded him was pretty hilarious.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 3, 2013

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Speleothing posted:

I hope Walter doesn't actually go across the world and have a life-changing adventure. That would be pretty much directly against the spirit of the story.

It worked fine in the Danny Kaye movie not sure why it wouldn't also work here.

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
I absolutely love how relentlessly cruel everyone is to Bam in the second Jackass. That may make me a horrible person, but I don't care. There is no greater pleasure in life than Bam's response when asked if he's crying when he's trapped in that trailer with the snake.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Man I can't believe I had a phase where I liked Bam, it was around the time I also like Tony Hawk's Underground 2.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If you like the Jackass movies avoid the .5 versions, which pull back the curtain to reveal how miserable everyone was much of the time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Woah, what? Why'd they hate Bam? Bam is hilarious.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Because he's the annoying little brother of the guy everyone in CKY was actually friends with.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Jackass needs Bam. Without him, who else would be the Bam of the group?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Max22 posted:

Preston.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something weird I've noticed about TV spots for "We're the Millers" is the evolution of Ed Helms' line about what he's sending Jason Sudeikis to Mexico for. It started out with the actual line from the movie (directly stating marijuana) and since then they've gotten vaguer and vaguer.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

But without Bam we wouldn't have gotten the perfect post-credits scene where he admits that everything about being Jackass is horrible and exhausting and then he steps into a pitfall mid-sentence.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Johnny Knoxville's laughter and strangely inhuman responses to pain make the Jackass movies for me. Jackass 3d was the only one I caught in theaters, but a packed midnight premier with an audience full of drunk college students is the best possible place to watch them.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Johnny Knoxville's laughter and strangely inhuman responses to pain make the Jackass movies for me. Jackass 3d was the only one I caught in theaters, but a packed midnight premier with an audience full of drunk college students is the best possible place to watch them.

Yeah Knoxville really is the heart and soul of it. Pound for pound I think he's one of the most naturally charismatic people maybe ever.

Knoxville is amazing :swoon:

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Yeah the excitement of watching this with a midnight crowd will probably be the reason I see...sigh... Bad Grandpa.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Optimist with doubt posted:

Yeah the excitement of watching this with a midnight crowd will probably be the reason I see...sigh... Bad Grandpa.

It's so worth it. When a packed theater is just loving rolling with laughter there is almost nothing better.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah Knoxville really is the heart and soul of it. Pound for pound I think he's one of the most naturally charismatic people maybe ever.

I agree. There's just something so inherently likeable about him that you can't help but to be infected by his enthusiasm and laughter. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy with a strange ( but wonderful ) sense of humor. Jackass wouldn't be what it is without him.

The whole cast is great, though - the brotherly bond between them shows on screen. For me, the Jackass movies aren't just funny: they're some of the most humane films I've seen. Granted that it explores humanity through humiliating and painful stunts and pranks, but I get the feel that Johnny and co. are much more observant and intelligent ( as entertainers ) as would seem on the surface. When we talk about entertaining movie-theater experiences, midnight-showings of Jackass films are at the very top for me too.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pontius and Steve-O are huge reasons to love Jackass as well... the Bam crew and Dave/Ehren, much less so.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Max22 posted:

Agreed. Bam's the closest thing to a villain they've got. Since he's such a dick to his parents, it's funny when the they make him cry, and since he flaunts his money a little too much, it's funny when they inflate a raft inside his car.

Preston's a better sport than BAM. For me he's the pathos of the group.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Preston's a better sport than BAM. For me he's the pathos of the group.

You've confused Preston with Lance Bangs.

Spoilered for :nws: dildos

The look of dread.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Jackass is awesome. Jackass 3 gave us this.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES2dozTkogc :nws: for a guy pissing "in the wind".

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
New trailer for The Counselor(Ridley Scott, Cormac McCarthy) apparently debuts tomorrow, some short clips were just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cck2gX6SKaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix00_oPL3aI

Devour fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 6, 2013

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This is apparently the last trailer for Ender's Game before its release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UNWLgY-wuo

It does absolutely nothing for me. I'm amazed at just how generic it looks in its art direction, from top to bottom. There's absolutely nothing distinctive about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

This is apparently the last trailer for Ender's Game before its release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UNWLgY-wuo

It does absolutely nothing for me. I'm amazed at just how generic it looks in its art direction, from top to bottom. There's absolutely nothing distinctive about it.

Hahaha, that's very much a "let's just show the end of the movie" trailer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We got a new trailer for Machete Kills, with a bit more of Carlos Estevez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1WwOQowlg

Still looks ridiculous. Still looking forward to it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Man, Enders Game is sure trying hard to make sure I never ever see it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
It is disappointing how bad/generic those Ender's Game trailers are. The parts of the book I still remember fondly are the battle room and the dream-like Giant game. Almost none of that stuff is in there, and it looks like a generic sci-fi shooter that isn't even trying to play the twist ending.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was at my friends apartment and his neighbor came in. The topic of Ender's Game came up and he showed us a trailer. He was jizzing so hard over it and I was just like, this is the big epic you're so crazy for?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

I was at my friends apartment and his neighbor came in. The topic of Ender's Game came up and he showed us a trailer. He was jizzing so hard over it and I was just like, this is the big epic you're so crazy for?

Harrison Ford sounds like he doesn't give a poo poo. The book was never about the action, but that's all they've shown. I'll probably still end up seeing it just to see for nostalgia.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

muscles like this? posted:

Hahaha, that's very much a "let's just show the end of the movie" trailer.

It's the entire movie in fast forward... also, the Ender and Valentine go to the lake scene looks like loving terrible, budget as hell compositing.

Thank god the studio that brought us Twilight got a hold of this.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Waffles Inc. posted:

His body takes it all for our entertainment. From Vanity Fair:

quote:

You must have the record in testicle injuries. Have you started to build up a resistance, like calluses of the balls?

Knoxville: It’s just like a dog’s chew-toy down there. I broke my penis about three years ago trying to backflip a motorcycle. So that didn’t help its appearance—although it’s pretty cute. I still have to use a catheter twice a day and it’s been three years now.

You can’t pee without a catheter?

Knoxville: No, I can piss without it. I just have to keep the scar tissue from constricting down there. It looks like a sock that’s lost its elasticity. You know the kind that droop around your ankles? That’s what my penis looks like.

Margera: I think the only one who came out ahead in this movie is Chris (Pontius). He did a skit called “The Helicockter” where he tied a string to his penis and the other end was attached to a remote-control helicopter. It ripped off so hard, he said he gained a few inches.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Ror posted:

His body takes it all for our entertainment. From Vanity Fair:

quote:

How exactly do you explain that? By the law of averages, at least one of you should be dead or paralyzed by now.

Knoxville: I don’t know. I think we’ve got a pretty good spirit going on the set. I think it’s better not to dwell on it too much.

Guess this was before Dunn died then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Knoxville from the first season to the last aged 2x as fast. Pain does that to you.

• Locked thread