Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Not an Anthem posted:

Yeah, monoprice mounts are great.

GOD DAMNIT TV PROBLEM: My efforts to sell/trade my TV are being thwarted the DAY I list it on Craigslist. I flip on the TV and switch the source to HDMI1, which is my Roku 3, and it says no signal. WHAT! I plug the roku HDMI into all four HDMI inputs, nothing. I plug an additional miniport->hdmi into the ports with my laptop as a source, no signal.

This literally just happened last night I guess. No warning? Is there a checklist or something I can do to sort out what might have happened? Are all the HDMI inputs just suddenly dead? The TV and all inputs are all on two power strips and I'd think if anything got "zapped" I would notice? Maybe it just failed, old age?

:( halp

Leave everything unplugged for a while. Not sure what a while means. Five minutes? Overnight? Anyways, my parents' Sony TV and blu-ray player suddenly refused to work together over HDMI, and we were stumped for months, until we had an extended power outage. Had something to do with wiping out the HDMI handshake certificates (or whatever) that were cached or left over in the devices' memories. Not making this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Ryangs: thanks. I'll try that. This TV is a mystery. I found a guy with pretty much the same TV only in 46". I feel weird trading a TV down in size for free but it'll fit better.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Groupon has deals on 40"/50"/60" LED Smart TVs:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-samsung-led-smart-3d-tv-f6400

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Had a chance to see a calibrated Panasonic ZT60 today at a local A/V store. (Getting a receiver)

Holy poo poo. :stare:

The Samsung F8000 LED was no slouch either. Easily the best LED LCD TV I've ever seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do TVs have a "season" for new model releases like some other electronics? It's about time for an upgrade for ours, especially with the new console generation actually doing 1080p.

The PS4 doesn't come out until likely November though, so if there's any advantage to waiting until then I may as well.

It's going to end up being LED, if that affects anything. Plasmas are probably too heavy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I believe the first half of the year is likely for most companies; after the Consumer Electronics Show in January and/or E3.*
When stores get them in is another matter entirely. The regional chain I wanted to buy mine from didn't even order it until this year.
This, after they emailed me saying they'd have it in the fall.

As my deadline was Black Friday, I went elsewhere when I found a deal I liked. :fuckoff:

* Speculation/educated guess

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And with that the hours of research melt away. I'm terrible at picking out TVs, plus it seems everything I actually find in my ranges has no real reviews out there.

42" is my physical maximum.
Plasma is out, so LCD/LED it is.
Budget isn't a big deal, but there's no need to get silly. ~$1000 or so max.
It will be used for plenty of gaming. Also hockey during the season, so 120Hz+ would be preferred.
I would like 3d, but it's not a deal breaker.
I don't need Smart features because I have a PS3, but I'm not against them because using the aging PS3 less would be good too.

I saw this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...archPageIndex=1

Passive 3D, full LED and from some Googling you can bring the lag down to the higher end of acceptable. Odds are my current TV has tons of lag I don't notice anyway though, so that's probably not a factor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or comments on that TV? As you can see, I'm flexible on most of my requirements (except size and type).

Also, are there are any other online retailers in Canada you can recommend in case it comes to that? I don't like dealing with Bestbuy/FS for online purchases, I've had nothing but problems with them. I see you don't recommend Amazon.ca, is that just when it comes to prices or overall?

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 4, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I saw this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...archPageIndex=1

Passive 3D, full LED and from some Googling you can bring the lag down to the higher end of acceptable. Odds are my current TV has tons of lag I don't notice anyway though, so that's probably not a factor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, or comments on that TV? As you can see, I'm flexible on most of my requirements (except size and type).

Also, are there are any other online retailers in Canada you can recommend in case it comes to that? I don't like dealing with Bestbuy/FS for online purchases, I've had nothing but problems with them. I see you don't recommend Amazon.ca, is that just when it comes to prices or overall?

Both. If it's not books or movies, the product variety is a joke. Literally a joke. Prices and/or shipping costs are much the same.
To be fair, Canada has nowhere near the level of dealer support that the United States does. and many prefer to sell online directly. (I'm building a semi-decent list of Ontario stores)

Assuming the LA6205 is merely the Canadian/BB/FS version of the LA6200, the display lag is roughly 2 frames; good enough for most everything but fighters.

Retailers I've found:
http://www.centurysound.com - St. Thomas
http://www.2001audiovideo.com - Southwestern Ontario
http://www.bosssound.ca/default.aspx - Etobicoke
http://www.gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca - St. Catharines (ordered my TV from them)

The Usual Suspects:
Best Buy
Future Shop
The Source
Walmart
Target (replacing Zellers, thank God)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 4, 2013

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

Pulled the trigger on this one, its on sale for $650 on Amazon, so I figured why not. Thanks man!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Both. If it's not books or movies, the product variety is a joke. Literally a joke. Prices and/or shipping costs are much the same.

Yeah, I know all about Amazon.ca's crappy selection, but they do have that model in stock and I can guarantee Canada Post shipping from them.

The simplest address for me is a PO box, which only Canada Post ships to. On Amazon if I use that address their system is smart enough to use Canada Post instead of UPS, whereas other sites will still ship it UPS/Purolator and bitch later.

Edit: How's Dell? They have it too, and apparently use Purolator for everything.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: How's Dell? They have it too, and apparently use Purolator for everything.

I ordered mine through Dell and yes, they use Purolator. However, TVs being oversize, they use Purolator Freight instead of regular Purolator. They work differently and apparently require an appointment to deliver, no exceptions. Which is great because, having a fixed date, you can at least arrange to take off work if that's an option.

A word of advice if you order online from Dell, if you specify different billing and shipping addresses, their audit department will likely flip the gently caress out and cancel your order if they can't reach you in time. I got burned by this and had to jump through hoops with their retarded outsourced monkeys to get them to reinstate my order. But I think if you go through the phone, you should be able to have it approved by audit in advance and avoid the whole ordeal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Purolator to my postal code actually all just goes to a store nearby so that shouldn't be a problem.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Purolator to my postal code actually all just goes to a store nearby so that shouldn't be a problem.

I suppose even Purolator Freight can just drop off their package at that warehouse if you request it, yeah.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I ended up finding a guy with my exact TV on craigslist and trading him down from 55" to 46", he was ecstatic and the TV fits my furniture perfectly. Considering I got the TV in a trade and didn't pay outright I didn't mind a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I suppose even Purolator Freight can just drop off their package at that warehouse if you request it, yeah.

What stage in the sale did they try to contact you? I ended up placing the order Sunday morning, and it looks like it passed through validation and is in the packing stage right now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

What stage in the sale did they try to contact you? I ended up placing the order Sunday morning, and it looks like it passed through validation and is in the packing stage right now.

Based on what I recall of the tracking, I believe they called when the package was at the Purolator warehouse and ready to deliver on the next day. Dell's site didn't give a tracking number for Purolator Freight (called BOL/Bill of Lading number in Freight's case) but a CS rep provided it when I asked for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oops, I probably could have chose a better quote for that.

I meant when did Dell try to contact you about the different addresses thing, not Purolator.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The e-mail for "Confirmed" order status came in July 1 at 19:40, the e-mail from Verification department notifying me of the order cancellation came in July 2 at 14:50. The latter e-mail said they'd tried to contact me but that seems unlikely considering none of the two phone numbers listed in my account were ever called. Then, after talking to Verification on July 2, the order got shipped anyway, around 22:00. I thought that was the end of it, but they still issued a return to sender, which fell after I'd taken the delivery appointment with Purolator Freight.

So if verification contacts you, make triple sure everything is alright before hanging up. The chucklefuck of a verification agent I got was rude as hell, and in the end hung up just after saying "Okay, I'll validate it" -- which clearly wasn't the case. In retrospect, maybe it's standard procedure during a failed verification to cancel the whole thing and reissue an order, the whole process was rather opaque and the agent was a loving moron. If verification calls and you get Karim Mouhib, good luck. (But I think he only handles francophone calls, you should be fine. :v:)

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 5, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I've recently come into a bit of cash between a new job, a few other odds and ends, and my upcoming birthday, and I've been considering upgrading my TV. Right now I've got a 37" LCD from LG that I bought about 3 years ago on sale at Best Buy. I'm looking for a TV slightly bigger than that, because it's a bedroom unit (my roommate's TV is our main TV, because he doesn't like to have a TV in his bedroom and I do, plus it's bigger), and ideally, because it's what my parents have had for pretty much ever and I love it, plasma.

tl;dr:

Looking for a 42"-ish Plasma TV, must have 1080p, hopefully no more than $800. I like my LG now, but I'm not beholden to the brand. The only things I use it for are watching movies and playing my Playstation, and the PS3 is the only thing connected to it, so it doesn't need to have a lot of inputs, either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Panasonic TC-P42S60 or last year's TC-P42UT50 would fit the bill.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Mister Macys posted:

The Panasonic TC-P42S60 or last year's TC-P42UT50 would fit the bill.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find either in stock.

If you have room, Costco sells the TC-P50S64 (the S60 with an additional anti-glare filter) for $599. It's a 50-incher. Otherwise, maybe try a Vizio M401i-A3.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I bought this Sony soundbar last fall
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C1AO2I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this Samsung TV (contest win) is on its way next week
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00BCGRLUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375909288

What blu-ray player should I get?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Looking in to getting a new TV, done some research and pretty much narrowed it down to a 60" LED/LCD size with a budget around 1,600 to 2,000. Samsung has looked the best to me so far when actually taking a look in person with sharper visuals and higher brightness. My wife is swearing by Sony but it all seems muted and dark to me. However, the real issue I'm having an issue with figuring out if the jump from 120Hz to 240Hz are really worth the price jump. I'd mainly be using the TV for Blu-ray movies and gaming, though the wife wants 3D. What would be the obvious choice? Trying to keep the cost a little lower but I can go up to my limit.
Between the Samsung 60" LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - HDTV UN60F6300AFXZA and Samsung - 60" Class (60" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 240Hz - Smart - 3D UN60F7100AFXZA Is a price jump of $500 worth it?

Kortel fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 8, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Anyone have any experience with the Vizio M321-A2? I'm looking for a TV for my bedroom and this seems to check off most of what I'm looking for (1080p, Amazon Instant Video, at least 3 HDMI ports). 120 Hz isn't really a deciding factor but I guess it's nice to have. The other model I was checking out was the Samsung UN32EH5300, but I'm honestly not sure which one I'd like better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kortel posted:

Looking in to getting a new TV, done some research and pretty much narrowed it down to a 60" LED/LCD size with a budget around 1,600 to 2,000. Samsung has looked the best to me so far when actually taking a look in person with sharper visuals and higher brightness. My wife is swearing by Sony but it all seems muted and dark to me. However, the real issue I'm having an issue with figuring out if the jump from 120Hz to 240Hz are really worth the price jump. I'd mainly be using the TV for Blu-ray movies and gaming, though the wife wants 3D. What would be the obvious choice? Trying to keep the cost a little lower but I can go up to my limit.
Between the Samsung 60" LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - HDTV UN60F6300AFXZA and Samsung - 60" Class (60" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 240Hz - Smart - 3D UN60F7100AFXZA Is a price jump of $500 worth it?

I was looking recently, and found I didn't need 240. Someone else could probably say more, but I only really saw 2 things 240 can do that 120 can't and they're not worth $500.

They allow you to add interpolation to 24FPS content (but most people don't like that), and they let you avoid 3:2 pulldown on 24FPS 3D content with active 3D (because 120 becomes 60 to each eye, whereas 240 becomes clean dividing 120.)

I guess if that 48FPS Hobbit thing ever really takes off there's that too?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wirecutter says the Sony BDP-S5100 for ~$115. I have last year's mid-price model (BDP-590), and have no complaints so far, aside from how loving wide it is.
No joke; at 17 inches it's as wide as my Pioneer 5-disc player, and my receiver.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Wirecutter says the Sony BDP-S5100 for ~$115. I have last year's mid-price model (BDP-590), and have no complaints so far, aside from how loving wide it is.
No joke; at 17 inches it's as wide as my Pioneer 5-disc player, and my receiver.

I have this model. It is pretty good, but occasionally will lockup (usually seems to be in combination with netflix). Fortunately, it is a quick reset by holding down the power button until it does. The top on it prevents you from stacking anything else on it, but hopefully that isn't an issue. It isn't as zippy at the 790, but it is very solid and respectable. I'd put a recommend on it for $115 (which is what I bought mine for on sale back in May).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's me and I just won a giant rear end TV I'd probably buy a PS3 for it, but I don't know what your budget is.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Aphrodite posted:

If it's me and I just won a giant rear end TV I'd probably buy a PS3 for it, but I don't know what your budget is.

Especially because the PS3 has a great Netflix app. I'm always wary of Netflix apps built-in to Blu-Ray players, as the interfaces are often slow or clunky, and they don't get updated as much. Same goes for the other video streaming apps: Hulu, Amazon, etc.

CoLlisIon
Apr 28, 2003

Moving into a bright apartment with a 10'x12' living room. Wife wants a smaller TV, but I'd rather just get a 50" because we'll likely move to a bigger place next year. Watch sports so 120Hz seems like a good choice. Would like full HD. Would the extremely bright living room really wreak havoc on the Panasonic 50 inch (TC-50PS64)that costco's currently selling?

Would I be able to get an LG/Samsung LED with 120hz/1080p for about 600 if I drop my screen size to the mid 40s?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mister Macys posted:

HFX posted:

I have this model. It is pretty good, but occasionally will lockup (usually seems to be in combination with netflix). Fortunately, it is a quick reset by holding down the power button until it does. The top on it prevents you from stacking anything else on it, but hopefully that isn't an issue. It isn't as zippy at the 790, but it is very solid and respectable. I'd put a recommend on it for $115 (which is what I bought mine for on sale back in May).

This looks good. Mainly looking for something to watch 3D with.
I like that it's wide. Undersized players strike me as weird.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I am a huge judder/jerky motion hater. I'm shopping for a new TV, and fluid motion is my most important feature. The Hobbit has sold me on the idea that there's nothing wrong with "soap opera" motion. At the very least, it's highly preferable to stuttering.

Here's the question: I saw a Samsung with their "Clear Motion 240" and really liked how it looked. Is there's anyone else that actually likes the "fake fluid" effect, and if so, how much better are the "Clear Motion 480" models?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I personally like the soap opera effect too, but I'm not too picky about it. I do have a 60 inch 240Hz Samsung TV that has a CMR of 840 so I'm not sure how much a difference there are between 480 and 240. There are different settings for auto motion plus: off, clear, standard, smooth, and custom. I have mine set on smooth and there's definitely a notable difference between off and smooth while I was watching On Stranger Tides - chapter 2, which had a lot of camera movements. To me there isn't that much blurring or at least not enough for me to give a poo poo. The smoothness looks good to me, so I'll keep it on.

There's also a setting below auto motion plus; led motion plus which I haven't tinkered with yet, it's been turned off.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Sylvania Horror Story

I really need to share the tale of our wonderful Sylvania TV, and why we now need to buy a new set. It's a 37" LC370SS9 that we picked up in early 2009 for $550, which seemed like a good price at the time. It was never a great TV, but a mediocre, cheap TV was all we were really looking for. Well, things got worse.

Many people will tell you that LCDs are immune to permanent burn-in. Turns out, this is not the case. I assure you this is an LCD. About a year ago we started seeing problems. At first, it was just temporary image retention issues that'd go away after time. But it seems the burnt-in areas never fully heal, so over time we've ended up with horrible splotches of pixels that can't return to normal. It's gotten continually worse. We've gotta be careful not to leave the TV paused, 'cause it takes less than an hour to start to burn in now.

In practice, it doesn't look as bad as the above photo suggests. Often it's not even noticeable. But when it shows, it sucks.

(src)
Here you see two photos of the same image. The left photo looks normal, but for the photo on the right, I moved the image to an area of the screen with bad burn-in. It almost looks natural here, but sometimes people look like they have loving skin cancer or something.

I've tried all the methods to fix it - leaving the set unplugged, leaving a pure white/other color image on it for hours (or longer), flashing-color videos designed specifically for this issue, but nothing fixes it. That sucks that the TV's so lovely, but at least that's understandable. The next part is just weird.

What the gently caress, Sylvania

I ran into some overscan issues this year, and figured I could just go into the settings and maybe turn it off. No dice! I then figured I should check out the service mode options. It first appeared that the drat set just didn't even have such a thing, but after many hours I got lucky and managed to dig up the special "Service Manual" which had the info I needed:

That's right; they literally tell you to cut a loving hole in your remote to access the service menu. :psypop: I just took the cover off but it's still really loving crazy. Navigating the menu was almost impossible since the manual included very little instruction and there was rarely any text on the screen. The best part is that even when I figured out the menu, it was mostly just test patterns with scarcely any real options, and no way to disable overscan.

scary ghost dog posted:

Never buy Sylvania televisions.

ijii posted:

I personally like the soap opera effect too, but I'm not too picky about it. I do have a 60 inch 240Hz Samsung TV that has a CMR of 840 so I'm not sure how much a difference there are between 480 and 240. There are different settings for auto motion plus: off, clear, standard, smooth, and custom. I have mine set on smooth and there's definitely a notable difference between off and smooth while I was watching On Stranger Tides - chapter 2, which had a lot of camera movements. To me there isn't that much blurring or at least not enough for me to give a poo poo. The smoothness looks good to me, so I'll keep it on.

There's also a setting below auto motion plus; led motion plus which I haven't tinkered with yet, it's been turned off.

Thanks for the input! I just looked up the motion settings you mentioned, and they look great:

I had no idea there was gonna be such customizability. I'm definitely the type that likes to gently caress around with the picture settings until until they're tuned so specifically for me that they make other people react with horror, so I'm sure I'll enjoy playing with them.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 12, 2013

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Looking to get a TV for my apartment for general use. Mainly gaming and movies. I don't think I really need to worry about input lag, though.

The TV is probably going to be pretty much at/near the foot of my queen bed, and that'll be the area where I sit and play games if I'm not at my desk.

I really don't want to spend more than $400 or so, but I think I'd like 1080p for blurays, or will that not really be worth it at that price point?

I was looking at either

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5000-32-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0071O4ETQ/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QB93SV3V181DGNAGXTK

or

http://tech.woot.com/ (SANYO FVM3982)

But I'm definitely open to more suggestions.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'd spend an extra $25 and get the EH5300 over the EH5000 for the added Smart features, but that's just me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thanks, I actually ended up splurging and going for the 40' EH5300.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Odd question:

Just bought a 55in Insignia and I have an equally off problem. Watching BluRay Avengers and it's, like, some of the scenes look ...fake? Like I can tell its a stage/set of some sort. Is that common issue? Is there setting for this?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

omg chael crash posted:

Odd question:

Just bought a 55in Insignia and I have an equally off problem. Watching BluRay Avengers and it's, like, some of the scenes look ...fake? Like I can tell its a stage/set of some sort. Is that common issue? Is there setting for this?
I'm guessing it's 120Hz? That's the "soap opera effect."

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should be able to turn it off. It's supposed to be good for sports, though. Hockey hasn't started yet so I haven't had a chance to test mine.