Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Whoops. I'll read the thread next time.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Anyone seen this video? It's real funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Why are they pushing Tottenham so hard btw? They aren't even in the CL, you'd think they'd go with one of the top four teams. Bale billboards in Times Square and all.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Hefe posted:

Why are they pushing Tottenham so hard btw? They aren't even in the CL, you'd think they'd go with one of the top four teams. Bale billboards in Times Square and all.

People are hoping they can jump on them before they get big and then they don't seem like such a huge plastic.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

El Hefe posted:

Noted American sports guy Bill Simmons picked them as his team back in the mid-00s so they're probably just rolling with him.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

rats off to ya posted:

Noted American sports guy Bill Simmons picked them as his team back in the mid-00s so they're probably just rolling with him.

American here. It does seem like a lot of casual viewers have gravitated towards the Spurs (especially very recently). I don't think people have formed their allegiance off of one dude's opinion a long time ago (people don't even really like Bill Simmons anymore). I'd say their more recent popularity was due to beloved Dempsey transferring there combined with a cool American old man goalie and a rising star in Gareth Bale. Also no one wants to pick the super successful team, but they don't want a lovely team either. AVB is cool too.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 4, 2013

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I thought Everton would have been more popular with Tim Howard and all.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

T. Finninho posted:

Bit gay for him tbh

Looks like he has a real nose for goal

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.

Frankston posted:

I thought Everton would have been more popular with Tim Howard and all.
They're fairly popular(for a non-United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool club), because of Howard and Donovan.

The only thing I can figure with the Spurs/Bale thing with NBC is his winning player of the year last season. Americans don't give a poo poo about Bill Simmons, and they certainly aren't picking football clubs because of him.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I have a friend (American) who likes Spurs because he likes their crest. He also calls them "The Spurs" and asks me how they're doing because he can't be bothered to pay attention himself. Kill me

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

americans like spurs because they are the best team that don't automatically make you look like a gloryhunter. this will soon be arsenal.

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 4, 2013

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

bonesquid posted:

I have a friend (American) who likes Spurs because he likes their crest. He also calls them "The Spurs" and asks me how they're doing because he can't be bothered to pay attention himself. Kill me

Cool that Mr Bling is your friend irl

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just root for whichever current team in England has the most spaniards on it.

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.
In the end, Americans don't actually like Spurs. They like the teams who win trophies, and Arsenal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

a top top lad posted:

In the end, Americans don't actually like Spurs. They like the teams who win trophies, and Arsenal.

I once met an American wearing a Fulham hat, it was right when Saha was moving to United. I asked hm what he thought of the transfer and he looked at me like I had two heads.

I imagine this is what most Euro goons go through quite often.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Shrapnac posted:

I once met an American wearing a Fulham hat, it was right when Saha was moving to United. I asked hm what he thought of the transfer and he looked at me like I had two heads.

He just mistook you for a boro supporter.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Shrapnac posted:

Ask 99.99% of the people who wear Yankee hats about the Yankees and you'd get similar results tbf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Ask 99.99% of the people who wear Yankee hats about the Yankees and you'd get similar results tbf.

Yankees =\= Fulham but I get what you're saying.

Hell, I live in NJ and if you asked me about the Yankees I couldn't tell you poo poo.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

El Hefe posted:

That's clearly different because the clothing brand and specifically that cap has nothing to do with the sports team anymore (except its origins and who makes money off of it). It's a fashion thing now rather than a sports thing

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

The Mash posted:

That's clearly different because the clothing brand and specifically that cap has nothing to do with the sports team anymore (except its origins and who makes money off of it). It's a fashion thing now rather than a sports thing

Sure but you see people wearing all sorts of things all the time doesn't mean they know what it is or care about it, boring derail.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I went to an MLS game tonight and some guy had next season's Tottenham jersey with Bale on the back. I hope he can return it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

El Hefe posted:

I bet David Icke has a theory or 2.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Francodipshit posted:

I just root for whichever current team in England has the most spaniards on it.

Who is this currently? City? Swansea? Liverpool?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I saw a guy wearing a Hull City baseball cap when I was in Latvia earlier this year.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

poty posted:

Who is this currently? City? Swansea? Liverpool?

Swansea (7) followed by Man City (4).

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
That map of NYC is really weird. Cardiff city of all teams gets Brooklyn?

I do like how they erased North Jersey off the map for some reason. Pity we can't do that in real life :(

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seltzer posted:

American here [...] the Spurs.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

troofs posted:

That map of NYC is really weird. Cardiff city of all teams gets Brooklyn?

I do like how they erased North Jersey off the map for some reason. Pity we can't do that in real life :(

Excuse me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They really should have included parts of New Jersey and split it up between Swansea and Cardiff.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

tbp posted:

Excuse me

Just joking, people who live in that part of New Jersey have enough trouble already.

But it's kind of a funny that they used all the teams to carve up Manhattan and then went "Oh right, the other four Boroughs and New Jersey, oh well, gently caress it", especially since there are less people living there than either Brooklyn or Queens.

troofs fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 4, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

troofs posted:

Just joking, people who live in that part of New Jersey have enough trouble already.

But it's kind of a funny that they used all the teams to carve up Manhattan and then went "Oh right, the other four Boroughs and New Jersey, oh well, gently caress it"

Jersey is La Liga and Long Island is Bundesliga. Hire me NBC Sports.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Francodipshit posted:

Jersey is La Liga and Long Island is Bundesliga. Hire me NBC Sports.

Where's Ligue 1?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Kurtofan posted:

Where's Ligue 1?

Philly

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Surely Jersey is Serie A.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

El Hefe posted:

Surely Jersey is Serie A.

Staten Island is Serie A.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Francodipshit posted:

1900s Ellis Island is Serie A.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

hm

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
edit wrong thread lol

here have a pic of benteke murdering tallaght's finest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ponce de Le0n posted:

edit wrong thread lol

here have a pic of benteke murdering tallaght's finest

Weimann and Benteke's partnership is most excellent.

• Locked thread