Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Comedy Button is great, if you ever listened to the old Gamespy Debriefings it's them with Max Scoville added in and it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well, I've pretty much exhausted MBMBAM and UYD (I'm the sort of guy who always has to have something playing in the background when I'm working or even just playing a game), love them both.
Any recommendations? Generally whenever I hear other comedy podcasts from Maximum Fun advertised on MBMBAM, they sound really unfunny (though I do enjoy some of the shows that the brothers do other than MBMBAM, like Sawbones seems promising).
I saw talk of "Sick & Wrong" earlier in the thread from people who also seemed into UYD, so I might try that out.

The MaxFun commercials are not flattering to their shows. Stop Podcasting Yourself and Throwing Shade are excellent.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Bone Zone is a pretty good podcast and should be given a shot. It's two (used to be three) stand up comedians just doing a goofy improvised show where they play exaggerated goofy versions of themselves and occasionally do light hearted prank calls (like calling a Red Lobster they don't work at to tell them they can't come in to work today, or calling a motorcycle store and ending up just getting an informative talk to about motorcycles and getting your license).

And oh boy some of the guests they have, including such names as Chelsea Peretti, Al Madrigal, Bill Clinton, Moshe Kasher, Nick Thorburn from those bands everyone in LA seems to know, Bert Kreischer, President Barack Hussein Obamacare, Tom Segura, Rory Scovel, and many many more!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I love Jordan Jesse Go and I like Jesse Thorn a lot, but I can't even begin to express how cathartic it was to hear Jordan and Nick Adams call Jesse out on having a pet pig despite how vocal he has always been against LA hipsters doing LA hipsterish things.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

piratepilates posted:

The Bone Zone is a pretty good podcast and should be given a shot. It's two (used to be three) stand up comedians just doing a goofy improvised show where they play exaggerated goofy versions of themselves and occasionally do light hearted prank calls (like calling a Red Lobster they don't work at to tell them they can't come in to work today, or calling a motorcycle store and ending up just getting an informative talk to about motorcycles and getting your license).

Any idea what happened to Davey? I'm enjoying the Bone Zone vibes, it's sort of goofy and laidback, nothing on the level of UYD or MBMBAM but right up my alley. It feels like it's gonna be a bummer once I reach the episodes where it's down to just the two of them though, Davey seems like an important part of the comic chemistry.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

tnimark posted:

I love Jordan Jesse Go and I like Jesse Thorn a lot, but I can't even begin to express how cathartic it was to hear Jordan and Nick Adams call Jesse out on having a pet pig despite how vocal he has always been against LA hipsters doing LA hipsterish things.
I had no idea who Jordan was two weeks ago but him and Jesse taking over Hodgman's podcast while he's busy with deranged billionaire business is definitely my least favorite part of the summer.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

I had no idea who Jordan was two weeks ago but him and Jesse taking over Hodgman's podcast while he's busy with deranged billionaire business is definitely my least favorite part of the summer.

Yeah, I'm a big JJGo and Thorn fan in general, but he's a pale substitute for Hodgman in that role. It probably didn't help that those were the two worst cases they've ever accepted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The two most recent ones? I haven't listened to them because both of them sound like legitimate marriage problems that the people involved should most likely talk to someone not on a podcast about and I have zero interest in hearing the kind of people who take that poo poo to a podcast.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've found most of the recent ones to be way too awkward to listen to. A case should be based on some hipster precedent before it gets to the court, in my opinion.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They can't all be "Dad wants the Judge to make Mom cosplay with him at the Star Wars convention / family holiday".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Binowru posted:

The Pod F. Tompkast and Welcome to Night Vale are pretty much required listening.

I'm working through this after people were recommending it in the thread, but after about 15 episodes it seems like they're becoming more invested in the continuity and Lovecraft pastiche than the comedy. Do they ever course-correct?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's a good day when The Todd Glass Show has on a guest I actually want to listen to.

e: except I can't download it, either from the rss feed or iTunes. :negative:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 2, 2013

wulfren
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure if has been mentioned, checked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything (checking back may not have occurred);

I've been getting allot of mileage out of:

Walking the Room:
http://www.walkingtheroom.com/
So there was some recent drama with the owners of this stuff which has coloured the last few episodes - 10 to 150ish have been good though.

It's about 2 stand ups who talk about their lives, family, crickets.
If I saw either of these men on the street I would cross the street and attempt to make awkward conversation with them before making up an important sounding reason to be somewhere else.

ThirtyFourty odd foot of pod (TOFOP).
http://www.tofop.com/
Charlie Clausen left the podcast to pursue acting in an Australian television drama and Wil Anderson (pretty much my favourite australian comedian) has been replacing him week by week with 'guest Charlies'.
This only took a few episodes to get off the ground and is very easy to listen to on long commutes.
I thoroughly recommend it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

wulfren posted:

Not sure if has been mentioned, checked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything (checking back may not have occurred);

I've been getting allot of mileage out of:

Walking the Room:
So there was some recent drama with the owners of this stuff which has coloured the last few episodes - 10 to 150ish have been good though.

If I saw either of these men on the street I would cross the street and attempt to make awkward conversation with them before making up an important sounding reason to be somewhere else.

ThirtyFourty odd foot of pod (TOFOP).
http://www.tofop.com/
Charlie Clausen left the podcast to pursue acting in an Australian television drama and Wil Anderson (pretty much my favourite australian comedian) has been replacing him week by week with 'guest Charlies'.
This only took a few episodes to get off the ground and is very easy to listen to on long commutes.
I thoroughly recommend it.

Two of my favorites. One correction, though: FOFOP is "Fifteen Odd Foot of Pod" (as in half of 30)

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

wulfren posted:

Walking the Room:

I also highly recommend Walking the Room. It's a little like my all time favorite Uhh Yeah Dude, only with two talented comedians publically reveling in the failure of their careers. WtR has the same sort of in show universe and vocabulary that has been built up spontaneously over the years, and like UYD, knowing the inside jokes and call backs isn't strictly necessary, it does make it better. Each episode tends to be broken up into three distinct conversations where Dave and Greg start off on a topic from their lives or the news and ramble off into entertainingly dark and nonsensical tangents.

I don't know if I would describe what caused WtR's recent hiatus as 'drama' however. For those that don't know, host Greg Behrendt (of He's Just Not That Into You "fame") broke his long time sobriety by taking dog pills of all things. Dave Anthony is IRL close friends with Greg and so was understandably pissed off and hurt and disappointed at the time, but it was luckily just a brief relapse and the show has been back and as good as ever for awhile now.

I recommend starting off with one of the special episodes where a comedian they know guest stars (just pick one with someone you like) to get a feel for the show, and if you like what you hear just start from around the 10s and power through the archive so you too can find out about the habits of the mysterious hobotangs and the secret violent side of Ellen Degeneres.

Oh, and they also started the LA podcast festival, so there's that too.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Zohn posted:

I also highly recommend Walking the Room. It's a little like my all time favorite Uhh Yeah Dude, only with two talented comedians publically reveling in the failure of their careers. WtR has the same sort of in show universe and vocabulary that has been built up spontaneously over the years, and like UYD, knowing the inside jokes and call backs isn't strictly necessary, it does make it better. Each episode tends to be broken up into three distinct conversations where Dave and Greg start off on a topic from their lives or the news and ramble off into entertainingly dark and nonsensical tangents.

I don't know if I would describe what caused WtR's recent hiatus as 'drama' however. For those that don't know, host Greg Behrendt (of He's Just Not That Into You "fame") broke his long time sobriety by taking dog pills of all things. Dave Anthony is IRL close friends with Greg and so was understandably pissed off and hurt and disappointed at the time, but it was luckily just a brief relapse and the show has been back and as good as ever for awhile now.

I recommend starting off with one of the special episodes where a comedian they know guest stars (just pick one with someone you like) to get a feel for the show, and if you like what you hear just start from around the 10s and power through the archive so you too can find out about the habits of the mysterious hobotangs and the secret violent side of Ellen Degeneres.

Oh, and they also started the LA podcast festival, so there's that too.

I don't know if it will be bit reference rich for new listeners, but the revelatory "Dog Pills" episode (or maybe the episode after, 144/145) might be a fun place to go after one of the guest episodes.

I remember really loving the Kyle Kinane episode

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It's a good day when The Todd Glass Show has on a guest I actually want to listen to.

e: except I can't download it, either from the rss feed or iTunes. :negative:

It just feels so lonely now without Daniel or Katie or Chris or Eric :(

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just skipped to around the 35 minute mark - why is Todd yelling at me? :(

He sounds so much like every conservative talk radio host right now. Obviously not in the content of what he's saying, but just the cadence and tone of his voice and lack of anybody responding to him makes him sound like he's about to start screaming about undocumented immigrants taking all our jobs.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I don't know if it will be bit reference rich for new listeners, but the revelatory "Dog Pills" episode (or maybe the episode after, 144/145) might be a fun place to go after one of the guest episodes.

I remember really loving the Kyle Kinane episode

That episode gave us the phrases "bathroom gentleman" and "pancakes are not a hand food." So good.

I highly recommend their live podcasts as well--the second one with Dave Holmes and Patton Oswalt is particularly good. Plus, they sell some great t-shirts at their store, which I think are made in Greg's garage. (They also sell stuff for other comedians, including this magnificent Kittens McTavish shirt for Greg Proops.)

Thirding the TOFOP/FOFOP love, Wil's terrible Batman impersonation gets me every time, though he doesn't do it as often now with the guest Charlies.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Jet Jaguar posted:

I highly recommend their live podcasts as well--the second one with Dave Holmes and Patton Oswalt is particularly good.

Particularly good could not be more an understatement for that episode. Dave Holmes is a national treasure and should have his own show where they react stories from his MTV days. I've never been so overjoyed by a story about feces in my life.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Particularly good could not be more an understatement for that episode. Dave Holmes is a national treasure and should have his own show where they react stories from his MTV days. I've never been so overjoyed by a story about feces in my life.

You're right, I am not doing it justice. It really is the most amazing story. I should seek out more Dave Holmes material, the dude tells that so well.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Anyone know if Dana Gould Hour is finished or just on hiatus? It's been 3 months :(

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

FitFortDanga posted:

Anyone know if Dana Gould Hour is finished or just on hiatus? It's been 3 months :(

He tweeted sometime last week there should be one out soon, but yeah, he doesn't really follow a schedule for releasing the podcast. Which is fine by me as long as they're still quality.

Mst3kmann fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 4, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just skipped to around the 35 minute mark - why is Todd yelling at me? :(

He sounds so much like every conservative talk radio host right now. Obviously not in the content of what he's saying, but just the cadence and tone of his voice and lack of anybody responding to him makes him sound like he's about to start screaming about undocumented immigrants taking all our jobs.
More and more of this has been slipping into the show for a while now. At this point you can pretty much expect the first 30-45 minutes to be something like this. They are issues he's really passionate about, which is great, but it's turning into an echo chamber. I'm sure everyone listening to your show agrees that you shouldn't beat your kids or use "gay" as a pejorative, so it's just him shouting the same points 100 different ways, and without any funny perspectives or spin on the issue. I used to love the show so much, but I started to skip a lot of them recently.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Todd seems to be using the 'serious' parts of his podcast just to vent whenever something in the news frustrates him. Not my favorite listening material, but hey, it's his podcast and he's entitled to vent his spleen on it if he wants to. I just wish his boring preachy parts were as entertaining as Greg Proops'.
Todd has been pretty good about giving minute marks to to skip around the non-funny parts at some point during his open-to-the-open-to-the-opens so I really don't mind so much.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

FitFortDanga posted:

He's on Fitzdog Radio this week with Greg Fitzsimmons... Apparently he's going through a divorce, and it's a depressing podcast. Always liked the guy, sorry to hear about it.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

benito posted:

Apparently he's going through a divorce, and it's a depressing podcast. Always liked the guy, sorry to hear about it.

Bah, that's a genuine bummer.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Dana Gould is getting a divorce, or Greg Fitzsimmons is getting a divorce?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, it sounded vague to me as well. If Dana Gould, that really sucks, since they have adopted kids, making it worse since it hurts them some as well. I love Dana. :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Beeez posted:

Dana Gould is getting a divorce, or Greg Fitzsimmons is getting a divorce?

Dana is getting divorced.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, it sounded vague to me as well. If Dana Gould, that really sucks, since they have adopted kids, making it worse since it hurts them some as well. I love Dana. :(

Apologies. Greg's marriage is fine, Dana's is broken, but they're amicable and both are still taking care of the adopted kids from China. Still a depressing podcast episode, though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

benito posted:

Apologies. Greg's marriage is fine, Dana's is broken, but they're amicable and both are still taking care of the adopted kids from China. Still a depressing podcast episode, though.

I haven't listened yet, but that really sucks. He and his wife (a president @ HBO) always struck me as an awesome Hollywood couple.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, that's pretty crazy, there are some celebrities who you kind of expect to have a tough time of it keeping their marriage together, but Dana Gould wasn't one of them.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Heads up. Tom Cavanagh tweeted that he and Michael Ian Black are headed into the studio. First episode of MATES in almost 3 months incoming.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

FitFortDanga posted:

The new one is finally up.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What kind of a show is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks? Is it more of a chatty podcast, with a bit of 'snack review', or is it more focused on the snack review, with bits of conversations as an opening? Also, do they review delicious snacks? I lived in Australia and some of their snacks may not be available here.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

toanoradian posted:

What kind of a show is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks? Is it more of a chatty podcast, with a bit of 'snack review', or is it more focused on the snack review, with bits of conversations as an opening? Also, do they review delicious snacks? I lived in Australia and some of their snacks may not be available here.

The premise of the show is that they review snacks, but a lot of episodes are 80-90% them talking/riffing about whatever and 10-20% snack talk. I also live in Australia and yeah they do a lot of American snacks that we don't have here (or at least aren't easy to find in a small town in regional Victoria). They have really great chemistry and their riffing is so goddamn funny to me. Just give it a listen. I started from episode 1 not really knowing what it was going to be and fell in love with it very quickly.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
They also do a lot of regional snacks that aren't available around me either, and I do live in the USA. It's one of those podcasts based on a subject where you don't actually have to care or know about the subject at all to enjoy it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jim Norton has a literal buttload of crazy stories about his wildly diverse sexual history on the latest DVDASA with David Choe and Asa Akira. I think it counts as comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Zohn posted:

Todd seems to be using the 'serious' parts of his podcast just to vent whenever something in the news frustrates him. Not my favorite listening material, but hey, it's his podcast and he's entitled to vent his spleen on it if he wants to. I just wish his boring preachy parts were as entertaining as Greg Proops'.
Todd has been pretty good about giving minute marks to to skip around the non-funny parts at some point during his open-to-the-open-to-the-opens so I really don't mind so much.
Yeah, I should give him more credit for that, he is really conscious about telling you what parts to skip if you want. I just listened to the Graham Elwood and Jimmy Pardo shows, and now I have to contradict most of what I said, because I really enjoyed them all the way through. Graham's show especially was mostly just goofy fun.

• Locked thread