Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Must be this guy's ancestor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

They had this animation mistake a lot in the really early episodes of The Simpsons (both the Tracy Ullman shorts and the actual series) when the animation could best be described as "a step above epileptics with crayons." Now, it's the writing that feels like it's been done by people with severe neurological problems.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Penny Paper posted:

They had this animation mistake a lot in the really early episodes of The Simpsons (both the Tracy Ullman shorts and the actual series) when the animation could best be described as "a step above epileptics with crayons." Now, it's the writing that feels like it's been done by people with severe neurological problems.

Meh, I think the animation looks poo poo now too. It's overly clean and digital and it might as well be cgi at this point. I haven't watched a full episode in 8 years but from what little I've seen it's not just the writing that sucks.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Penny Paper posted:

They had this animation mistake a lot in the really early episodes of The Simpsons (both the Tracy Ullman shorts and the actual series)

I think this was an actual stylistic animation choice called the "twistermouth". They point it out all the time in the DVD commentaries for the earlier seasons before the animation on the show became more naturalistic (relatively speaking).

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
It's the start/mid/end point for an animation smear to emulate the look of fast motion when shaking his head. Twister mouth and really over the top smears were used a lot early on to make the cheap animation look more lively.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

slingshot effect posted:

It's the start/mid/end point for an animation smear to emulate the look of fast motion when shaking his head. Twister mouth and really over the top smears were used a lot early on to make the cheap animation look more lively.

There was a pretty good thread in I think GBS, likely in archives now, that catalogued a bunch of these.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Killer robot posted:

So does crazy Renaissance painting fit in this thread? I ran into this earlier.

Check the reference, and yep.

popewiles posted:

If this isn't definitive evidence of time travellers, I don't know what could be.

Here's another time traveler, Nathaniel Olds. One of my favorite paintings in the Cleveland Art Museum.

Just look at those awesome glasses! :swoon:

"The green-tinted spectacles worn by Olds were designed to protect the eyes from the intensity of Argand lamps, a type of indoor light used during the early 1800s. These lamps burned whale oil, and many people worried that its bright flames might damage eyesight."

Link to original: http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1991.134.2

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

univbee posted:

There was a pretty good thread in I think GBS, likely in archives now, that catalogued a bunch of these.

If nothing else, there's always the Animation Smears Tumblr.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Man I forgot all about the Beetlejuice cartoon. Every dang movie got a wierdo cartoon in the early 90's it seems.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Paranorman had smears, which I've never seen in a stop motion film

edit: Here's the scene that they're used in Massive spoilers for the movie though

edit: vvvv Yup. Watched the behind the scenes right after. It's really amazing how technically advanced paranorman is.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Aug 3, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Huh, I was wondering how they did that effect. I assume that's the "witch"? I figured that was one of the few times they used CGI in that movie.

I really need that bluray so I can watch special features, and I hope it has a making-of.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Needs more geese.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lord Lambeth posted:

edit: Here's the scene that they're used in Massive spoilers for the movie though

edit: vvvv Yup. Watched the behind the scenes right after. It's really amazing how technically advanced paranorman is.

I sort of half-watched this movie while it was on in the background and didn't even notice it was stop-motion. Dear God.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

For those who don't get the joke, Dihydrogen Monoxide is water.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Man I forgot all about the Beetlejuice cartoon. Every dang movie got a wierdo cartoon in the early 90's it seems.

Yeah Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Mask all got cartoons that were 90s as hell. The Beetlejuice cartoon owned though.

I stumbled across the best JRPGest video game plot ever today.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Yeah Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Mask all got cartoons that were 90s as hell. The Beetlejuice cartoon owned though.

Hey cool it's Final Fantasy n!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Zettai Hero Project is the most JRPGiest story. That's most of the joke.

Tewbrainer
Apr 1, 2010

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

I don't know where I'm going to use 'Darkdeath Evilman' in real life, but I am certainly going to try.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

It's actually a pretty fun game, it makes fun of itself and is not ashamed to do so. The only downside is that it can get grindy as gently caress.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Not an optical illusion.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Not an optical illusion.

Is there a sign at the bottom that says "Caution, Some Parkour Required"?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
It would be a good place to eat lunch without being bothered.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

"I'm an not your son, I am Melon Lord!

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Here's another time traveler, Nathaniel Olds. One of my favorite paintings in the Cleveland Art Museum.

Just look at those awesome glasses! :swoon:

"The green-tinted spectacles worn by Olds were designed to protect the eyes from the intensity of Argand lamps, a type of indoor light used during the early 1800s. These lamps burned whale oil, and many people worried that its bright flames might damage eyesight."

Link to original: http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1991.134.2

Adam Jensen's inspiration?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There is no forums user better suited to post this picture than someone who loves Shin-Chan.

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

As old and unfunny as this joke is, the thing that bothers me most about it is the fact that water is hydrogen hydroxide, not dihyrogen monoxide.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HBomb posted:

As old and unfunny as this joke is, the thing that bothers me most about it is the fact that water is hydrogen hydroxide, not dihyrogen monoxide.

Yeah, water is nothing like Hydrohydroxic acid.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Or Oxidane, for that matter.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Possibly a little NSFW due to "personal massage devices".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I like to imagine some parents came home and just found their kid like that. Like he completely worked all that out himself and surprised them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Justin Bieber is trying to get this image removed from the internet.

Well, it worked for Beyonce.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

HBomb posted:

Every single dang time something is posted about water on these forums this comes up, but Dihydrogen Monoxide is a perfectly acceptable name. If you want to be a dick about it though it's actually Oxidane. That's the IUPAC name for it (the other name, in addition to water).

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Dynastocles has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Aug 5, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

:allears: Do not ruin it by telling me it's not a 2001 Odyssey.

• Locked thread