Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
'Some' dull turns isn't a big deal, but Sentinels, for me, has a disproportionate amount. When it's clicking it really can be a great superhero engine, but there is a lot of 'doing your taxes.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

echoMateria posted:

Take a chill pill guys. Aren't you overreacting a little?

Well, if you're going to resort to that, I'll drop it.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Even superheroes have to poop and eat- not everyday is a crime fighting day.

I've always wanted to play a superhero game (board/otherwise) that approaches the genre from a similar perspective to the live action The Tick or ATHF: doing all the goofy back-end stuff like managing your PR and finding time to make enough money for sustenance, all the while trying to reconcile your eventual superiority complex with the fact that your neglected everyday identity gets constantly poo poo on when he/she bothers to show up groggy and bruised to work. I feel like Vlaada could pull off a suitably Orwellian mixture of mechanics and style to create a new, horrible tragedy for every game.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 4, 2013

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad
I have been in search of a particular board game for a very long time and I thought that perhaps this would be the place to ask about it (I did not see any rules prohibiting such questions in the OP). The game is essentially the polar opposite of the Game of Life. If I recall correctly, the objective of the game is to get rid of all of your cards or all of your money in an effort to "die." The cards you draw generally screw you or or opponents over by giving you more money and/or cards. Some cards will even have players stand up and trade positions with each other without taking their cards or money with them so that they have to completely re-do their entire strategy.

It has been almost 10 years since I played this game, so its name escapes me, but I remember that it was great fun. I have tried to search for it under the name of the Game of Death, but that doesn't come up with a match. No one, not even board game retailers in my area, are familiar with this game, so it may be that it is a really old/obscurely produced game that is no longer in production. Who knows. Any help or even a name from a knowledgeable goon would be really appreciated.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ashenai posted:

My playgroup really needs a less "crunchy" game, and I've been on the fence about TotAN for a while now. The only thing that worries me is that when people talk about how you don't have a lot of "real" input into the story, and you're at the mercy of randomness, it reminds me of the criticisms for Arkham Horror. Is that an unfair comparison, and if so, why?

I, for one, like TotAN quite a lot and I dislike Arkham Horror a whole drat lot. To put it shortly, the former is much easier to learn and play, equally thematic if not more so, and it lets you fart around and enjoy the stories as you please because it isn't co-op and there's no obligation to "play well".

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Any opinions on Village?

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
Gloom, a card game all about ruining the lives of your family members while enriching the lives of your opponents' families, maybe?

Cocks Cable posted:

Any opinions on Village?

I've played it twice, it was okay. The tempo game of having to kill off family at the right time was the most interesting thing about it; the rest felt like every other medieval euro around. I think Tzolk'in does the "timing matters" thing in a more interesting way.

Ledhed fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 4, 2013

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sithalchemist posted:

I have been in search of a particular board game for a very long time and I thought that perhaps this would be the place to ask about it (I did not see any rules prohibiting such questions in the OP). The game is essentially the polar opposite of the Game of Life. If I recall correctly, the objective of the game is to get rid of all of your cards or all of your money in an effort to "die." The cards you draw generally screw you or or opponents over by giving you more money and/or cards. Some cards will even have players stand up and trade positions with each other without taking their cards or money with them so that they have to completely re-do their entire strategy.

It has been almost 10 years since I played this game, so its name escapes me, but I remember that it was great fun. I have tried to search for it under the name of the Game of Death, but that doesn't come up with a match. No one, not even board game retailers in my area, are familiar with this game, so it may be that it is a really old/obscurely produced game that is no longer in production. Who knows. Any help or even a name from a knowledgeable goon would be really appreciated.

This sounds like The MAD Magazine Game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

These aren't incompatible at all. From the review, it looks like every turn, you do whatever does the most damage. To figure this out, you do some math. The strategic dimension comes in not knowing what cards you will get, and in not knowing what cards are going to come up from the villain/environment decks. As far as I can tell, the villain/environment decks add a couple more terms to the calculation that you must compute, but do not actually do anything to make your choice of what action to take interesting.

That's an accurate summation of the SU&SD review, yes, which is not an accurate summation of the game. Damage output is important because ultimately it's how you defeat the villains, but there's a lot more going on than just doing damage and plenty of other potential priorities, and even when you're doing that damage in most cases you need to prioritize targets. And there are certainly (contrary to what the review suggested) synergies both within individual hero decks and between heroes.

echoMateria posted:

This video is the opinion of these three individuals, based on the limited number of plays they had of this game, by using only the core set (even if they don't expressly state this so there).

I saw characters from at least one of the expansions (Infernal Relics) in their box and possibly two. But I do think it's safe to say that the expansions would be unlikely to change anybody's mind. Some of the expansion decks get a little more funky and experimental with their mechanics but it's still essentially the same game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

There are a number of villain decks that do not care how much damage you can put out in a single turn because if you don't remove their ability to kill you they will do so anyways, or they'll just consistently throw threats out that have to be deal with while they destroy your cards that allow you to effectively retaliate. That being said it usually isn't hard to figure out what you're doing on a turn to turn basis, but I enjoy having a relatively light-medium game with tons and tons of variety and theme.

Honestly my biggest complaint about Sentinels is a lack of key words or key symbols.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SuperKlaus posted:

I would love a superhero game where the theme involves actual superheroics. I don't consider a battle royale a proper superhero theme, certainly not one I'd accept to a point I'd ignore other aspects of the game experience. Plus, stuff like saving civilians from burning buildings while still trying to stick it to a villain is great material on which to build a real strategic experience.

This really gets me thinking about a superheroes expansion or variant of Flash Point Fire Rescue, actually. It would fit really well...

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sithalchemist posted:

Could be Go For Broke?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

SuperKlaus posted:

I would love a superhero game where the theme involves actual superheroics. I don't consider a battle royale a proper superhero theme, certainly not one I'd accept to a point I'd ignore other aspects of the game experience. Plus, stuff like saving civilians from burning buildings while still trying to stick it to a villain is great material on which to build a real strategic experience.

Descent 2nd Edition actually fits this bill really well. In most of the scenarios, you aren't just trying to bash down the monsters until they relent, you are trying to rescue civilians, protect farms, race to powerful artifacts, etc. It's just got a Fantasy theme instead of a Superhero theme.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I find all the discussion about Sentinels really interesting. My own experience of the game was really ambivalent: I liked the unique challenges/heroes but it did feel like I was playing it in auto-pilot most of the times and once my combo was out on a hero, it was just a matter of playing it out again and again until you won/lost. On the other hand, heroes did tend to play differently so at least there was some variety there.

In the end, I stopped playing Sentinels because, weirdly, the Lords of the Rings LCG gave me the exact same things feelings I got from Sentinels but with much more choices involved. It might be weird to think about but the two games are remarkably similar: they both have you face a custom encounter deck, but I always feel the LotR game gives you a lot more choice: you have to deck-build for a start, which some people might not like but it does add variety and choice to the game. As well as that, you have to make meaningful choices on who's going to quest/defend/attack, which cards you are going to play, how you use your resources etc. It just seemed to offer so much more than Sentinels in terms of choices, at least to me.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
My group liked The Lords of the Rings LCG a little more than Sentinels of the Multiverse too. But since we played both with four players, we ran out of things to do in the Lords of the Rings LCG core game box very fast.

It was also boringly easy playing four players, which was quite disappointing. There are some unofficial variants like adding more encounter cards to up the difficulty but we haven't tried those yet. After everyone played with each of the pre-constructed decks and beat all three of the scenarios no one asked to play it again.

I thought about buying expansions to spice things up with new adventures and open up deck customization, but in order to have enough cards to customize four decks I ended up calculating to buy a bunch of them together and their total price was something that I can get 2-4 other games and it didn't really feel that good of an investment as a four player game. The core box still has a lot of mileage as a 2 player though, I'd highly recommended it as such.

Trickyrive posted:

Is this out of print, or just an artificial shortage due to the review early this week?

^^^^ Probably no need to worry yet then, distributors should have shipments come in next week. I see it's in stock on the zman website (msrp) so that's probably a good sign.

If you can't find a place to buy Tales of the Arabian Nights or instead you would want a Cold War Spy Movie themed co-op version that feels like a better version of Pandemic :P, there is always Agents of SMERSH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVS--ehfo-4

Speaking of the superhero theme, if anyone got a chance to try Heroes of Metro City at an earlier convention or tries it at Gen-Con, please let me know of your opinions about it.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 4, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I play with a friend that loves LCGs and bought pretty much all of the expansions, the latter quests are increasingly hard and pretty much not possible to complete using the pre-mades.

Dec 4, 2004

echoMateria posted:

If you can't find a place to buy Tales of the Arabian Nights or instead you would want a Cold War Spy Movie themed co-op version that feels like a better version of Pandemic :P, there is always Agents of SMERSH

In case anyone is interested, there is currently a KickStarter for Agents of SMERSH: Swagman's Hope, the (first) expansion to Agents of SMERSH.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
We had a game of Chrononauts last night with 4 new people because it's my wife's favorite game.

For those of you who have taught it to other people how do you go about doing it? Last night we had multiple people who were throughly confused with flipping a lynchpin and then needing to patch a year to get their ID to line up properly.

A bunch of people always seem to think that they need to use a Reverse Fate on the year they actually need for their ID as opposed to the lynchpin that is associated with the year. Then if they do grasp that they need to flip the lynchpin they get confused on the need to put a patch on the year to actually have it 'finished' if they need it for their ID.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Funny, my playgroup is the opposite: we became completely disillusioned by the LOTR LCG and love SotM. LOTR might have more choices and deck building, but the core gameplay is too ridiculously spiky to be even remotely fun. There were too many games where we'd overcome absurd odds just to have a bad guy top deck that not only put us back in the shitter, but put us so far into it the game was lost within the turn.

Sentinels is much less spiky depending on villain chosen, and each villain presents a smooth curve of difficulty. The strategy of SotM is 60% in hero selection and 40% in the gameplay, which we circumvent by going all-random using the sentinels app. My only complaints about sentinels is that GTG desperately needs to overhaul half of their heroes because they're just garbage compared to the other half. Each hero should be able to stand on its own while still building in team synergies - as it stands, half the heroes rely on specific other heroes to even become effective. Expatriette is a prime example - she desperately needs card draw and global damage buffs yet has none of her own, then you have Tempest who has all of the above.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't know, once you know the deck it's not too difficult to work out what to expect. With sentinels it just felt like we were going through the motions again and again with little variance from turn to turn. I'd play both games to be fair, since there are enough differences to make both worth playing, but at a push I would always pick LotR because the resource management in that game is so much more interesting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The one time I played LotR the decision space was significantly narrower than when I played Sentinels because the quests said "you can't play 3/4 of the cards in your deck."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

The one time I played LotR the decision space was significantly narrower than when I played Sentinels because the quests said "you can't play 3/4 of the cards in your deck."

Hint: don't start by playing the hardest quest in the base set.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Having just opened my seasons box I will say if nothing else this game is loving beautiful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Having just opened my seasons box I will say if nothing else this game is loving beautiful.

For those who have played it, is there any significance to the coin that pops out of the lower right corner of the player boards? It's perforated but there's no label on the coin. The rulebook doesn't seem to mention it. There are also photos in the book showing it both in place and removed with no mention of it directly.

Ed: sorry quote not edit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

For those who have played it, is there any significance to the coin that pops out of the lower right corner of the player boards? It's perforated but there's no label on the coin. The rulebook doesn't seem to mention it. There are also photos in the book showing it both in place and removed with no mention of it directly.
Spare token maybe, in case you lose one?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

andrew smash posted:

Ed: sorry quote not edit.

Having played it for the first time this lunchtime, we used that popped-out space for the dice you choose.

It's a pretty fun game, and it was interesting spacing out the engine-building part of the game over several years. The dice are incredibly cute, as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Played Clippers and Kings of Air and Steam yesterday, and disliked both.

Clippers seemed like a chaotic try-to-get-routes-to-your-poo poo game and didn't really have that much depth to it that I could see. Perhaps 5 players was too much.

Kings of Air and Steam, on the other hand, was a pick-up-and-deliver game, a genre which I've never played in before, and I'm not too inclined to do so after that (though again, I've heard that Steam or Age of Steam might be better as an example?). The zeppelins were awesome but too big for the spaces, the mechanics were so simplified as to make decision feel mostly pointless, and the visual design was beautiful steampunk. I just wish it was a more fun game!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

andrew smash posted:

For those who have played it, is there any significance to the coin that pops out of the lower right corner of the player boards?

None whatsoever. There's supposed to be a hole there in the player boards in which you place your die selection during drafting. The coins you popped out were just for support. Toss 'em or keep 'em, doesn't matter!

In the expansion you get crescent-shaped player buffs that fit in that slot, too:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
LOTR LCG is probably a deeper game, and if you -want- to deckbuild regularly for different quests and such I could see enjoying it more than Sentinels. But personally deckbuilding is something I'd either like to be the game (as in Dominion etc) or skip entirely (as Sentinels lets me do).

That said, I think there's room for both at my table and someday maybe I'll invest in LOTR. (On the other hand, this upcoming Pathfinder LCG looks pretty tempting too, and appears to offer a more complete base set - a friend of mine who owns the LOTR LCG complained that two base sets were necessary...I think to play with more than two people, but I can't recall exactly.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

Played Clippers and Kings of Air and Steam yesterday, and disliked both.

Clippers seemed like a chaotic try-to-get-routes-to-your-poo poo game and didn't really have that much depth to it that I could see. Perhaps 5 players was too much.

Kings of Air and Steam, on the other hand, was a pick-up-and-deliver game, a genre which I've never played in before, and I'm not too inclined to do so after that (though again, I've heard that Steam or Age of Steam might be better as an example?). The zeppelins were awesome but too big for the spaces, the mechanics were so simplified as to make decision feel mostly pointless, and the visual design was beautiful steampunk. I just wish it was a more fun game!

Yes Kings of Air and Steam simply isn't fully developed. Try Cinque Terre or Valdora, they are both better pick up and deliver than Kings of Age and Steam. Age of Steam/Steam is a much more complex/deeper system than the others I mentioned, so if you like heavier games, those are both good, as is Railways of the World.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Someone convince me not to buy Archipelago.

The SU&SD review piqued my interest, and so far nothing I've run into in any of the BGG reviews for the game has put me off. Our group manages to get pretty big, crunchy games out somewhat regularly. I love semi-cooperative games with competitive aspects, I like the possibility of a group loss, and I like the theme well enough. My opinions generally seem to align pretty closely to this thread and Archipelago doesn't get talked about much around here, so what's the deal? What big flaws am I missing and what other new-ish games should I possibly consider instead?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

Any opinions on Village?

We just played this yesterday with the expansion. It's a better game with the expansion because without it, the game becomes stale. Of course you don't need to buy both at first, but if you do enjoy Village then you'll want the expansion. It's basically a low luck Euro with an interesting mechanic where you basically try to kill off your original guys so you can get fresh guys who'll last longer to do the work for you. I'd give it a 7.5.

Also for you Euro players, I just updated my Top/Hot 10 here.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

malkav11 posted:

That said, I think there's room for both at my table and someday maybe I'll invest in LOTR. (On the other hand, this upcoming Pathfinder LCG looks pretty tempting too, and appears to offer a more complete base set - a friend of mine who owns the LOTR LCG complained that two base sets were necessary...I think to play with more than two people, but I can't recall exactly.)

I'm not really sure if this is accurate, but that might just be because as the card pool has grown you don't really need a handful of extra copies of a few cards from the Core Set. The core set is fine on its own, and if you are going to buy a second core set you are going to be way better served picking up new expansions for the same price. I guess if you absolutely must have 3x of every possible card for deckbuilding you should get it- but in a cooperative game I really don't think its important at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Paradoxish posted:

Someone convince me not to buy Archipelago.

The SU&SD review piqued my interest, and so far nothing I've run into in any of the BGG reviews for the game has put me off. Our group manages to get pretty big, crunchy games out somewhat regularly. I love semi-cooperative games with competitive aspects, I like the possibility of a group loss, and I like the theme well enough. My opinions generally seem to align pretty closely to this thread and Archipelago doesn't get talked about much around here, so what's the deal? What big flaws am I missing and what other new-ish games should I possibly consider instead?

I've played Archipelago about 8 times now, and it's definitely an amazing game. That said, a few things that might be enough to save you $50:

1) The short game is very unsatisfying, and pretty much only worth playing if you either have a group that wants to play a full game to learn the rules, or you only have 45 minutes and you and a friend just NEED to collect some sweet, sweet pineapple. The risk of rebellion is very low in a short game, so there's really no reason to cooperate (which means less dealing and trading). In other words, you're probably going to need at least 90-120 minutes to play a game of any real consequence, possibly up to 3-4 hours depending on number of players and levels of analysis paralysis.

2) The storage solution leaves something to be desired. The game has a lot of little components: Port/church/etc tiles, 6 different resource cubes, lots of discs, several card types, and of course the player's various pieces and the island tiles themselves. The designers cleverly decided to leave indentations for each specific thing in the box, and even did something cute where you put the leftover cardboard from punching out the tokens beneath the plastic inlay to prop it up, which makes it very nice to use while playing... Unfortunately, none of the little chambers are very well contained, and the box is so packed with stuff that you pretty much need to keep things in their compartments that storing/transporting the game in any way beyond completely flat at all times leads to components being all mixed up upon opening.

3) If trading and grudges sound exciting to you, make sure your group is equally excited about that part of the game, because short of a pressing crisis, the game doesn't really evoke those on its own. I've played a medium game where everyone pretty much ended running their own little engine the whole time, and the game simply doesn't feel crunchy enough to survive purely on that (which is also part of why the short game stinks). There's plenty of opportunity to trade and such, and the rulebook makes this clear, but unless someone really wants a specific development card or wants to act before a certain player - maybe to end the game that turn before they can overtake them on points - trading is left to the players to encourage.

4) I guess the components other than the island tiles might seem flat to people used to miniatures or the big ol' wooden towns of Terra Mystica? Oh, and color blindness loving sucks for this game; A friend of mine has trouble with reds and greens, and regularly mixes up pineapple and cattle. He actually lost a game because of this once.

Now, these are all very subjective and 8 games with a limited group of players isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, so I have no doubt other people either find them non-issues (the storage one in particular is mostly me trying to find things wrong with the game, but it's there) or maybe even wrong with certain groups or after enough plays. And of course, I could tell you all the wonderful things about it, but it sounds like you've seen that many times now.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

To add (although I really like the game):

- It absolutely requires a group with the right mindset - the threat of rebellion creates an interesting mechanic but also has the potential for spite-loving if you have some bad sports. The coop-competitive mechanic is really cool but very breakable with the wrong people.

- The rulebook is a bit of a mess, and some of the rules like when citizens are "engaged" aren't consistent, which makes playing more complicated than it feels like it needs to be.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I've had the chance to play King of Tokyo a few times and its such a blast. Easy to understand, lots of ways to interact with other players and react to what they are doing, different strategies that are all very viable, pleasing art direction.. every aspect of the game is done well.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Lorini posted:

Also for you Euro players, I just updated my Top/Hot 10 here.

Luna? I really enjoyed the area majority positioning tradeoff with the actions to take, but the scoring left something to be desired. I thought the inner board was a little clumsy to navigate and changed control a little too spontaneously for my liking. Admittedly I've only played it twice now so some familiarity is sure to bring more of a sense of control. The outer islands though had some great mechanics. It felt a lot like Nurnberg/Norenberc to me with the majority investment gambits and strong-arming and bluffing.

How much play have you gotten out of Luna? I'm not sure I can get my group to but would a few more plays and familiarity open the game up?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I like Euros where your actions affect others actions and Luna does that pretty well. I also like the island hopping mechanic. The inside game play was interesting as well. We've played it five times and everyone would be willing to play it again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm not really sure if this is accurate, but that might just be because as the card pool has grown you don't really need a handful of extra copies of a few cards from the Core Set. The core set is fine on its own, and if you are going to buy a second core set you are going to be way better served picking up new expansions for the same price. I guess if you absolutely must have 3x of every possible card for deckbuilding you should get it- but in a cooperative game I really don't think its important at all.

Unexpected Courage is the only singleton in the Core Set that you'd really like to have three of, but there's a few Core Set cards that you want extra copies of. Horn of Gondor and Celebrian's Stone are singletons that you'd like two of; Galadhrim's Greeting, Strength of Will, Sneak Attack and Steward of Gondor are 2-ofs that you want a playset of. You can add Swift Strike and Northern Tracker as well, but they're less important.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
What I'm really curious is, will Archipelago give us the feeling of Sid Meier's Colonization the Boardgame? I loved that game at Amiga and one of my friends is looking at Archipelago with that shine in his eyes as well, I fear disappointment caused by wrong expectations.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithalchemist
Dec 31, 2007
Don't cross the streams...the results could be bad

This could quite possibly be it. It fits the description I gave almost to the T and the artwork looks vaguely familiar. I will have to do some looking into it for more confirmation. Thanks for the heads up.

• Locked thread