Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

Are these actual hotels with no one else in the room.

Of course, most of them are private room hotels, you won't have a problem to find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Senso posted:

Of course, most of them are private room hotels, you won't have a problem to find one.

Not on Agoda right?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

Not on Agoda right?

Well yes, there are pleny of normal hotels on Agoda but they're probably pricier. I'd suggest you get 1 night in a normal hotel from Agoda then once you're here, explore Bui Vien/De Tham area and find a cheaper hotel. They all have vacancies, it's gonna be easy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Not on Agoda right?
Have you checked Hostelworld, DontAskKant? I was curious about all this trouble, so I ran over and searched and there appear to be a ton of well-reviewed private rooms in the $12-15 range - example & example. Agoda's a major hotel booking engine, they don't bother with the smaller stuff mostly, so it's like checking hotels.com or whatever.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Agoda has the smaller stuff too and they're way better than hostelworld for solo travelers because hostelworld charges per person even if you're only one in the room, you have to pay for the full occupancy while Agoda shows you the price for the room itself. So the lowest price on Hostelworld may say that privates are $7 but they're just showing you the per person price for a private quad room and to book it, you'd have to pay $28/night. I like that I can pay the full amount via PayPal on it too which is nice when you're coming in from another country and barely have any local currency yet.

I found a bunch of $10ish privates in hostels/hotels and mixed dorms for less on Agoda. Just be sure to show all room options after you click on a hotel and its way easier to search for price on the Agoda app because it lets you sort from low to high while the site doesn't for some reason.

When will you be in Saigon? I still stand by my recommendation for Saigon Youth Hostel, they've got 4 bed mixed dorms and affordable privates :)

I'm in Kuala Lumpur now and I kind of love it. It just reminds me of home in a good way. It's so weird seeing English on signs or heck, an alphabet that I can read. In Vietnam I could recognize words after a bit and understand some signs but Laos/Thailand/Cambodia/Japan? :v:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Thanks, I never got down to the low 80% ratings I guess. Don't know why I scoff at those. I was staying in 60% ratings in Japan and survived it. I'm kind of turned off of the dorm thing, after a few with some less than considerate guests I kind of remembered how much I enjoyed getting a two bed private with my friend.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Actually, the inventories aren't identical, but Agoda sure has added a bunch of low end stuff. Didn't know that. Also didn't expect that DontAskKant uses booking engines like my 70 year-old aunt :argh:

Agoda's pretty spammy, frankly, but I'm not here to pimp for Hostelworld. Looks like if you want the full display, check both. Options like My My Arthouse and a few others were on HW and not Agoda and I'm guessing the reverse is true for more with Agoda's larger inventory. One kinda handy thing about HW is it shows you the actual occupancy instead of listing only what's available on your full date range, so you can see a matrix of what rooms are full on what days and jigger around your request.

She's right about pricing. While I know GH operators who personally run their inventory out of HW's booking app and I can verify they don't set out to charge more, the major booking services basically have bots that run around the web constantly figuring out competitor prices/changes and then the prices are adjusted to beat competitors by as little as necessary. In other words, if Agoda has a room, it's always going to try to be cheaper as long as it doesn't eat into profit. You'll save $.25 on the bunk bed, heh.

I interviewed once to run an aspect of online marketing for one of the majors based out of Phuket and got to see the whole operation and meet with all the department heads. Nice enough people, but I learned very quickly that it's a tiny margin business of constant headaches and emergencies that I would never want to be in. WHERE ARE WE IN THE SEARCH RESULTS!? HOW DID THEY GET AHEAD OF US?!? OUR PROFITS ARE DROPPING!!!

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
What is the most hassle free way to get from Bangkok to Koh Tao? Fly to Samui? I read its about 2000 baht to fly to Samui. Or bus from khao san road, i don't mind busses if they are designed for ex gymrat. Now just fat european.

I'm pretty burned out from work already so i might just relax on the beach most of my holiday (5-6 weeks in november/december and 2 in March). Maybe visit Chiang Mai. Maybe Angow Wat.

Joys of working your rear end of for 10 months just get get away for two.

Koh Tao seems to be pretty full so i atleast need to decide dates when i'm there. Also if someone can recommend a nice bungalow with a ocean view and a hammock that would be cool.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Government bus plus ferry of your choice at the pier. You can also fly to Samui and then pay a fare on a "speed boat" (normal looking boat with an engine) to go directly from Samui to Tao. Much more expensive, but if your time is short it may be worth it. Or take the ferry once you're on the island.

The Khao San busses blow. They always arrive late, they drive around and pick up people at multiple locations before leaving (lots of fun if you're their last stop), they take you to a private pier where your are made to wait for the ferry intentionally so that you might buy some poo poo from their garbage overpriced restaurant (walk down the road a bit instead, it's Thailand, someone will be selling some kind of food along the way shortly).

raton fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 2, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
So last Wednesday was my last day at work in Saigon. I'm leaving the country for good on August 17, to France, where I have no job, no apartment, no friends. Yesterday, I got an email from my company (but from a different team than the one I was in) asking me if I would like to work from home for them. That would be pretty awesome in itself but it also means that I will not be bound to a single city - or country - and might end up moving back and forth between Asia and Europe more than I thought I would. :toot:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kiss my rear end jerk :argh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On an unrelated note, I'm writing a sort of presentation/guide for a number of people flying here from back home for the first time. They're not college-aged backpackers, they're mostly 30-40 year-old professionals taking time off work to visit and then a few 70 year-old types. Accommodations and regional/international travel tips aren't really important so much as navigating the culture tips. There are no particular special needs issues other than food allergies ("I can't eat MSG!!!"), but I'm handling that case by case.

I've got a list of issues that I want to address that are all pretty obvious having been here, ranging from simple things like "smile all the time" and "politely ignore people who approach you on the street" to more complex topics like tipping and exiting taxis on the curb side, checking beforehand.

I'm also including random entertaining things to do and watch for, like "Keep an eye out for people playing checkers with chess sets" and "be sure to try nam tok" and so on.

I don't want to list everything here because I don't want to poison the well, because many of you are on a first visit, or are newly arrived and I'm curious what things you would've wanted in a brief 10-20 page presentation about your first visit to Thailand as a tourist?

EDIT: I ask because frankly I hate the guidebook "don't put your feet on anything!!!" and "dress modestly!!!" tips and find them vague and generally somewhat misguided.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 2, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

So last Wednesday was my last day at work in Saigon. I'm leaving the country for good on August 17, to France, where I have no job, no apartment, no friends. Yesterday, I got an email from my company (but from a different team than the one I was in) asking me if I would like to work from home for them. That would be pretty awesome in itself but it also means that I will not be bound to a single city - or country - and might end up moving back and forth between Asia and Europe more than I thought I would. :toot:
Ah, just saw this - congratulations!

EDIT: Oops, Quote/Edit.

EDIT EDIT: Looks like Andrew Drummond is out with his documentary finally. He's just about the only honest muckraking journalist in Thailand. He's got a grating Brit tabloid writing style, but his investigative journalism is ballsy as Hell and he's constantly under threat and being dragged into courts over it. I'm just watching now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJweN0ywdA

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 2, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

At this point I just check agoda, HW, and hostelbookers (no booking fee!) plus more if I feel like it before going someplace because they all have different inventory :v: You can use tripadvisor to look at the reviews too but that just makes it more confusing when something is ranked high on agoda but everybody hates it on tripadvisor :confused:

I generally stay at 7 and up on Agoda, 80%+ on HW/HB. I was deliberately staying at the cheapest place but then realized how terrible some of those places were and everything is so cheap that a nicer hostel or a private room doesn't impact my budget too much.

As for the guidebook thing, some info about the local SIM cards would be good too, a brief write up on the options and list the plans along with how to activate it. I always spend at least 15-30 mins googling for sim card stuff before I go to a new country hoping to find an expat blog with a writeup of the options.

And gently caress, the feet thing is confusing as hell. I've read it but then it immediately goes out of my head and just leaves me with "FEET BAD" message so every once in a while, I get all self-conscious about what my feet are doing.

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

So i just bought a dtac "happy tourist" prepaid sim card, because having to pay to use the wifi at Starbucks sucks.

But i just noticed that i resetted my phone a few months ago (which unrooted it) and didn't care to root it back (:effort:, you see), which means i also can't sim unlock it, which means i can't use the dtac card. :cripes:

Does any of you knowledgeable people know if it's possible to get it rooted in Bangkok (without being scammed ofc)? Do phone shops do this kind of thing?

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

So I guess there's gonna be, like, riots or something in Bangkok this weekend in protest of a bill. Sounds like kind of a big deal and it's supposedly the reason that The Man is in Hua Hin right now. Dammit, why couldn't this have happened last weekend, or next weekend, or any other weekend I haven't scheduled a girl's night out in Bangers. :argh:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/362751/pm-hopes-cooler-heads-prevail

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Orillion posted:

Does any of you knowledgeable people know if it's possible to get it rooted in Bangkok (without being scammed ofc)? Do phone shops do this kind of thing?
I don't normally deal with this kind of thing, but every time it comes up the answer seems to be, "Go to Pantip."

Chair Huxtable posted:

So I guess there's gonna be, like, riots or something in Bangkok this weekend in protest of a bill. Sounds like kind of a big deal and it's supposedly the reason that The Man is in Hua Hin right now. Dammit, why couldn't this have happened last weekend, or next weekend, or any other weekend I haven't scheduled a girl's night out in Bangers. :argh:

There are a lot of issues on which I think the yellow shirt-related crowds are just loving obnoxious feudal monocle-and-top-hat types, but their dogged attention to making sure Thaksin never receives amnesty is one I'm okay with. The coup was wrong and stupid and short-sighted, but, since it happened, the guy is still a corrupt billionaire thief and he'll live just fine in exile.

On the other hand I'm sorry that it will interfere with your weekend, heh. I wouldn't worry about it much. Even when the city was burning and the army was in a full on street war most things were pretty normal except in the specific areas affected. You'd get the occasional grenade tossed wrong or something, but otherwise it was bizarrely normal.

On a final note, related to your comment about the Old Man, the latest Thai rumor as of the last week or so is that the Old Lady has pretty much popped her clogs via stroke, is basically on the ventilator and that they're waiting for the right time to announce it. Of course these rumors are non-stop in such a self-censored society and I don't put a lot of stock in them ever, but due to the physical realities of chronology and biology they are becoming more plausible.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Chair Huxtable posted:

I was going to leave Koh Samui tomorrow and head up to Bangkok but this makes it sound like that's a bad idea RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.

I'm talking about the riots, not the girls night out. Obviously.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How are your balls, duckmaster? The thread needs to know.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Buy me a beer and I'll tell you??

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you??
PM me if you're around next week and I will, heh. Or email me at reindeerf@outlook.com.

Note: under no circumstances do I want to see said balls.

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I don't normally deal with this kind of thing, but every time it comes up the answer seems to be, "Go to Pantip."

Thank you, i'm going to have a look there!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Orillion posted:

Thank you, i'm going to have a look there!

The third and fourth (or fourth and fifth, I forget) floors of MBK also definitely have little corner shops that will root your phone for you. I'd go there because it's much more convenient and surprisingly less "CD DVD MOVIE SEXY MOVIE" than Pantip and there are less of the sort of aggressive must-bargain-hard dick vendors that infest Pantip.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Good point, yeah. You can also add Fortune Town to that list, at Rama IX MRT station, if it's convenient.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Barfolemew posted:

What is the most hassle free way to get from Bangkok to Koh Tao? Fly to Samui? I read its about 2000 baht to fly to Samui. Or bus from khao san road, i don't mind busses if they are designed for ex gymrat. Now just fat european.

I am a big fan of the train from Bangkok to Chumphon. It's about 1100 baht for a second class aircon sleeper, departing Bangkok at 7:30pm and arriving at Chumphon at 4:30am if it's on time but more realistically at around 5:30am.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern Thailand - you want train 85.

There's a Lomprayah office at the train station that opens at around 7am - you can buy a ticket for Tao there, or do it in advance. Whatever. They'll put you on a bus to the pier and you should be on Koh Tao by about 10am. Slower than a bus/ferry combination, but much safer and much more comfortable.

Flying is the easiest option of all, but much more expensive than any of the others.

As for accommodation, how much $$$ are you happy to spend?

Finch! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 3, 2013

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Finch! posted:

I am a big fan of the train from Bangkok to Chumphon. It's about 1100 baht for a second class aircon sleeper, departing Bangkok at 7:30pm and arriving at Chumphon at 4:30am if it's on time but more realistically at around 5:30am.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern Thailand - you want train 85.

There's a Lomprayah office at the train station that opens at around 7am - you can buy a ticket for Tao there, or do it in advance. Whatever. They'll put you on a bus to the pier and you should be on Koh Tao by about 10am. Slower than a bus/ferry combination, but much safer and much more comfortable.

Flying is the easiest option of all, but much more expensive than any of the others.

As for accommodation, how much $$$ are you happy to spend?

Thank's for the awesome information again!

Last trip we went from Chiang Mai to Bangkok in a sleeper train, and it was really nice compared to a bus.

I'm thinking saving up around 1500 euros (around 1900$) for five weeks accomodation. So that would be around 55$ per night. I don't need anything special, but while in Koht Tao it would be nice to be close to the beach so i can swim and snorkel. It would be a plus to be somewhat close to nice restaurants and maybe a bar.

I'm travelling alone this time so i can't share the room cost with a friend.

edit: that's 1900 just for hotels, another budjet for spending money.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 3, 2013

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Found this last night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahaha. Awesome. In my head, I can hear these words bring used as loan words in Thai conversations.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

This is my third day in Thailand now, all spent in Bangkok. It was a bit of a rough start being awake for far too long and arriving far too early in the morning. Then in my tired stupidity getting scammed by a cab from the airport to the MBK. When I was done in the MBK (so big!) I decided to walk from the MBK to my hotel since it was so early and thought i woudnt be able to enter my room yet, which is for reference sake near Khao San Road.

As I walked towards my hotel, being directed by a shabby GPS and a compass, I was greeted by many friendly thai people who were eager to strike up a conversation about my wellbeing, my homecountry, my destination, where I stay and so on. They were even kind enough to offer me a ride to my hotel with a tuktuk! I had to decline however, still feeling bitter about my previous transit scam disaster, and was bent on walking! Still, I was happy to know that the rumours were true, that thai people were really nice!

After about the 10th time within a timespan of 5 Minutes however, I got the hint. I read that they do try to offer you services and items, but that it would be this bad and `aggressive` I did not expect. After my batteries of my phone ran out, the tuktuk people were (sometimes indirectly) helpful with directions though! 2 hours and some pretty neat sights later I arrived being soaked in sweat.

Anyway, for the rest I have been enjoying this place a ton, the biggest turndown at the start were just so many people trying to sell/offer you things and me in turn answering them (the biggest mistake, I have since mastered ignoring people/saying no).

Yesterday went to the Grand Palace, mozed around at cool random streets and met and chatted with some cool people. Today tried out tons of different fruits and food, chilled in a swimming pool and went to the Baiyoke Tower by boat. I also tried going to Chinatown by tuktuk, but he said it was closed. I took a taxi instead.

I am writing instead of going out because it is raining and my small list of things to do in Bangkok was depleted! Feeling like I booked one night too much in here. I know it`s pretty last-minute, but any of you have some suggestions for this bangkok evening? I tried some nearby clubs but it seems thai people love their music LOUD, making it kind of hard to talk.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thai people and loud music is, unfortunately, unavoidable. For reasons passing understanding, if there's a venue of any kind and a speaker, the person operating it is going to turn it up to deafening level and no one will think anything of it. Drives me insane. Noise is probably my only real non-business pet peeve in this country, but it's a pretty small one in the grand scheme of things.

As for stuff to do, if you're staying at KSR, there aren't really any great clubs or anything, but I think you'll find that the soi behind KSR, Rambuttri, that runs across the street next to Wat Channa Songkram and continues on to the river through little alleys, is the best bet. There are a number of Thai bars and clubs there where you can sit outside and it's moderately less deafening.

For later stuff in the KSR area, I always recommend Madam Musur on Rambuttri and then the Thai bars down on Phra Athit (take Rambuttri all the way to the river - that's Phra Athit). Basically, just stay on Rambuttri and things improve markedly, heh.

EDIT: My personal favorite place down there is Ricky's on Phra Athit. A number of friends rate it highly as well. It's not a good place to meet and greet, though, and it closes around 21:00. Madam Musur, for whatever reason, has a good meet and greet vibe about it and you usually end up meeting people when you lounge around there. Order the norther sausage - excellent. At Ricky's most of the food is kick rear end, frankly.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 3, 2013

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Mucking About posted:

This is my third day in Thailand now, all spent in Bangkok. It was a bit of a rough start being awake for far too long and arriving far too early in the morning. Then in my tired stupidity getting scammed by a cab from the airport to the MBK. When I was done in the MBK (so big!) I decided to walk from the MBK to my hotel since it was so early and thought i woudnt be able to enter my room yet, which is for reference sake near Khao San Road.
Taxis from airports/bus stations are usually way more expensive and if there is no public transport from that location you don't have much of a choice but to pay. That said if you landed in Suvarnabhumi airport there is a very nice train that takes you directly to center bangkok.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There are also special airport buses from both airports as well as a regular (heavy rail) train from Don Muang that runs to Hualamphong and points inbetween, but most people don't opt for the bus. I've taken it on Sundays and low traffic holidays and it goes to Sukhumvit, Silom and the other typical areas, but during rush hour it's Hell (as is a taxi).

I agree with Rapsey that the Airport Link is the best option if you're coming into Suvarnabhumi (BKK), it's just poorly planned network-wise, so it either drops you for a 500 meter hike from Makkasan station to Petchburi MRT or out at Phaya Thai (which is mostly only convenient for tourists staying at KSR) - it's down to once an hour for each train now, so adjust accordingly. Since everyone from the thread stays at Lub D (owned by family friends I found out last week) you can just take the Airport Link to Makkasan, hop on the MRT at Petchaburi and exit it at Silom MRT. From there you can sit in traffic for an hour on Silom to go the one kilometer to your guesthouse - enjoy!

If you're coming into Don Muang (DMK) and your schedule happens to coincide with the train schedule it's not a bad way to get into town. Not exactly high speed, but it's relaxing and people will wander by selling you things, heh. There are trains passing through DMK for Hualamphong constantly from around 04:00 until about midnight.

Bonus points for tourists who come up to the airport link station at BKK and press a map against the glass and ask the lady 50 questions before buying a ticket. Everyone who lives here really loves it when someone does this.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 3, 2013

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

How long are you staying in Bangkok for?? I'm here now and will be all day Sunday if you want a beer. I've seen most things here as well, so it's just beer that's left, and there's plenty of that.

I'd invite you to come back to Cambodia with me on Monday but you won't want to leave, and you haven't seen Thailand yet!! The culture shock of spending two months in cambodia and coming back to Bangkok is intense. It's like an Orwellian nightmare of advertising.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's a few pics of Gold Bay Leaves in Bangkok. Big thanks to ReindeerF for the recommendation, it was fantastic.

img465-417 by spf3million, on Flickr

img469-418 by spf3million, on Flickr

img466-405 by spf3million, on Flickr

img464-416 by spf3million, on Flickr

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

As for stuff to do, if you're staying at KSR, there aren't really any great clubs or anything, but I think you'll find that the soi behind KSR, Rambuttri, that runs across the street next to Wat Channa Songkram and continues on to the river through little alleys, is the best bet. There are a number of Thai bars and clubs there where you can sit outside and it's moderately less deafening.

For later stuff in the KSR area, I always recommend Madam Musur on Rambuttri and then the Thai bars down on Phra Athit (take Rambuttri all the way to the river - that's Phra Athit). Basically, just stay on Rambuttri and things improve markedly, heh.

Thanks for the tip! I walked through Rambuttri once in the afternoon, but in the evening it is a lot better in every way compared to KSR. No loud music, no people trying to sell you something every minute as you were talking and more of a relaxed vibe at Rambuttri. Madam Musur was indeed a good place for meeting other people. Didn't order any food, was still stuffed from Chinatown.

duckmaster posted:

How long are you staying in Bangkok for?? I'm here now and will be all day Sunday if you want a beer. I've seen most things here as well, so it's just beer that's left, and there's plenty of that.

I'd invite you to come back to Cambodia with me on Monday but you won't want to leave, and you haven't seen Thailand yet!! The culture shock of spending two months in cambodia and coming back to Bangkok is intense. It's like an Orwellian nightmare of advertising

I'm heading out of Bangkok in a couple of hours. I've been here for three days (fourth now), and I feel like I need to get out of here, haha. So I'm heading to the train station in a bit and buying a train tiicket to the north in the direction of Chiang Mai, making some stops on the way.

Although I do want to head to Cambodia, tomorrow is a bit early :v:. After Chiang Mai I am thinking of heading to Cambodia though, so maybe we could meet up there sometime. How are you heading to Cambodia?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Saint Fu posted:

Gold Bay Leaves

Pictures - good idea. I love the hat. I'm sure when he first opened up with that hat the neighboring businesses were like, "What the Hell?"

On a random note, just down the soi a bit further is a relatively new Italian place called Casa Pasta. It's not going to blow your socks off compared to Italian food in a Western country (or, for example, in Italy), but for Bangkok it's really excellent. It was opened by three chefs who worked at Zanotti for like a decade and left to start their own place. Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-pasta/433661003336042

It's the most casual, affordable and homey Italian joint in town for sure. We're cursed with a blight of wannabe-fancy Italian joints (such as Zanotti) that charge way too much for pretty average Italian fare with lots of candles and poo poo. At least here you'll be charged a more reasonable amount for average Italian fare that's slightly better than most Bangkok average Italian fare, heh.

You will have to endure an inexplicable, but very low-volume mix of Enya and Lord Of The Rings soundtrack music on the speaker, which is kind of kitschy anyway.

\/\/\/ Good advice - I'll check it out, thanks!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 4, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Appia is fantastic Italian in Bangkok. The chef's mom even moved over from Italy to help.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Mucking About posted:

Thanks for the tip! I walked through Rambuttri once in the afternoon, but in the evening it is a lot better in every way compared to KSR. No loud music, no people trying to sell you something every minute as you were talking and more of a relaxed vibe at Rambuttri. Madam Musur was indeed a good place for meeting other people. Didn't order any food, was still stuffed from Chinatown.

I'm heading out of Bangkok in a couple of hours. I've been here for three days (fourth now), and I feel like I need to get out of here, haha. So I'm heading to the train station in a bit and buying a train tiicket to the north in the direction of Chiang Mai, making some stops on the way.

Although I do want to head to Cambodia, tomorrow is a bit early :v:. After Chiang Mai I am thinking of heading to Cambodia though, so maybe we could meet up there sometime. How are you heading to Cambodia?

I'll be getting an early bus tomorrow to the border. That takes about four to five hours from memory. An hour to cross the border, then I'll see if anyone on the other end is waiting for a share taxi to Siem Reap, that can take as little as two hours if the driver is a nutcase (this is probable).

Breakfast in Bangkok, dinner in Siem Reap. It's surprisingly painless as long as you know what you're doing.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
My husband and I are heading to the Philippines in a couple of days. We've already got flights booked to Manila, and from there to Puerto Princesa. We'll stay one night in Puerto Princesa (already booked a room) and then head to El Nido the next morning. We already have a room booked in Corong Corong, too. We'll be there for 5 nights. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how much cash we should take with us up to El Nido. We're not trying to do super budget, but we're not particularly extravagant, either. We enjoy eating nice food. We'll likely want to do a boat tour or two, some kayaking, and stuff like that while we're there (weather permitting). Does anybody have any advice for figuring out how much we might need?

I'd appreciate any tips (also open to any advice about particular things to do in El Nido or Puerto Princesa or opinions on which transportation option is best).

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Mucking About posted:

I hope your train journey goes better than ours. I woke up from a nap to notice that the train was going backwards. Turns out the engine wasn't strong enough to pull us up a hill. We had to wait in the bustling metropolis of Mae Tan Noi for a while until another engine could come out to help. I can handle a 12 hour train ride, but 16 hours begins to try my patience. Could be worse though, one of the overnight trains Bangkok-Chiang Mai trains derailed the other night.

Chiang Mai is pretty sweet and a very welcome break from Bangkok. We're here until Wednesday afternoon if you make it up here before we fly to Siem Reap.