Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I do understand why the lack of a modern online experience would keep some people away from the Wii U, but personally I'm not interested in online features/play or trophies or integrated social networking or uploading gameplay videos or anything like that, and my consoles are all kept offline.
I'm mostly an RPG gamer though, but online features don't sell me on a system at all. Especially if it wants me to pay for it and it wants to serve up ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
About to start pikmin 3. Walmart had 8 copies and I bought the second, not bad considering I live where swamp people is filmed.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The_Frag_Man posted:

I do understand why the lack of a modern online experience would keep some people away from the Wii U, but personally I'm not interested in online features/play or trophies or integrated social networking or uploading gameplay videos or anything like that, and my consoles are all kept offline.
I'm mostly an RPG gamer though, but online features don't sell me on a system at all. Especially if it wants me to pay for it and it wants to serve up ads.

In same boat. I give no fucks about online social crap in a gaming console. Online multiplayer and online social networking software are 2 different things. Linking my console to my twitter/Facebook account to post about my gaming experiences is got to be the laaaast thing i will give a pile about.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

Nintndoland is a new IP. Everyone shits on it for not being a true new IP, but then they try stuff on the 3DS like Pushmo, Freakyforms and that Dillons Rolling Western and everyone ignores it as Nintendo actually is trying something new

WendigoJohnson posted:

X doesn't count, Monolith made the game Nintendo is just going to publish it.

Pretty much sums up the last two pages of this thread...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wouldn't Fire Emblem not be a Nintendo IP by the same logic people are using to say X isn't? Nintendo owns Monolith. Anything they make is a Nintendo IP by definition.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nintendo doesn't quite understand hype like other companies do. They showed some 40 seconds of X gameplay and kind of swept it under the rug, and even that was enough to make people flip their poo poo. They should've really pimped it out.

Their long held strategy of "Keep a tight lid on everything until 2 weeks before release" is loving terrible for sales.

Battalion Wars 2 on the Wii released with no fanfare whatsoever and the only thing you could look up about the game was a bit of gameplay from an E3 two years prior, so they even give their own games this treatment. :psyduck:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 4, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well the game also has to be GOOD too obviously. I mean, to be fair every new IP they make is not going to be the next Mario or Zelda. Every once in awhile they attempt something and you get this

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Is the Wii U the next Facebook?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/04/nintendo-and-the-wii-u-may-be-in-trouble-due-to-closure-of-vital-semiconductor-factory/

Factory responsible for Wii U eDram to close within 2-3 years

quote:

As part of that restructuring Renesas, that merged with NEC Electronics in 2012, announced that it decided to close four semiconductor plants in Japan within 2-3 years, including the state-of-the-art factory based in Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture (as reported by the Wall Street Journal), and this may spell trouble for Nintendo and the Wii U.

The reason is quite simple. The closing factory was responsible for manufacturing the console’s Embedded DRAM, that is quite properly defined the “life stone” of the console

Nintendo could try to contract another company to produce the component, but there are circumstances that make it difficult. According to a Renesas executive the production of that semiconductor was the result of the “secret sauce” and state-of-the-art know-how part of the NEC heritage of the Tsuruoka plant, making production elsewhere difficult. In order to restart mass production in a different factory redesigning the component may be necessary.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

On the whole 'is this IP nintendo or not!?' topic, I have to say I never would have known most of what was brought up was first party because Nintendo is Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Star Fox to me, with Fire Emblem and Pokemon being for Nintendo not by.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Christobevii3 posted:

About to start pikmin 3. Walmart had 8 copies and I bought the second, not bad considering I live where swamp people is filmed.

Keep us, maybe just me, updated.

Did they rerelease any of the fires emblems for the wii u? I mean they should because it would be convinient for me.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Well now that we've established that Nintendo literally doesn't own a single IP (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid installments have been made by third parties after all!!!) what I would really like is a Mario Kart game done in the style of Smash. Regular Mario kart is getting stale for me since they removed two-man karts, but I would be all over a big kart racing crossover with characters, karts, stages and items from all of those iconic franchises Nintendo doesn't own.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Frag_Man posted:

We already know that a lot of Wii U owners don't care about online or achievements, because they can't help themselves from posting about how much they don't care about online or achievements. You know who does care about them? People who haven't bought the console and might never buy the console, which is the focus of this thread.

There is no justifiable excuse for any of Nintendo's multiplayer-focused games to be local only, and the lack of an achievement system is dumb as poo poo because it's value add for people. I mean why not just have it? What is the point of not having it?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 4, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

We already know that a lot of Wii U owners don't care about online or achievements, because they can't help themselves from posting about how much they don't care about online or achievements. You know who does care about them? People who haven't bought the console and might never buy the console, which is the focus of this thread.

To clarify, I don't have a Wii U, and that's not because of the lack of online features.
My meaning was that not all of the people who haven't bought a Wii U, haven't bought one because of the lack of online features.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

It's okay, the inventory in stores now should last 5 years.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

You can't say that along with saying that nobody knows it's a different console, that they aren't buying it because it doesn't have any games, and the multitude of other reasons that have been talked about in this thread.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nintendo doesn't quite understand hype like other companies do. They showed some 40 seconds of X gameplay and kind of swept it under the rug, and even that was enough to make people flip their poo poo. They should've really pimped it out.

Their long held strategy of "Keep a tight lid on everything until 2 weeks before release" is loving terrible for sales.

Yea, Nintendo is pretty out of touch in general lately which is sad to see. They have some of my all-time favorite IP's, which is why I purchased a Wii U, but the amount of fumbles they've had with this console is staggering. So many missteps in so many areas.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

There is no justifiable excuse for any of Nintendo's multiplayer-focused games to be local only, and the lack of an achievement system is dumb as poo poo because it's value add for people. I mean why not just have it? What is the point of not having it?

The point of not having competitive online services is to cater to people who hate those things and feel the urge to let everyone know how unimportant they are to them? I dunno.

Extremely anecdotal, but during a recent visit to Nintendo for a project, I was asked by someone from Product Testing the following question, word for word: "Why do people care about the eShop so much?" Diplomatically, I answered that a lot of people like the eShop because it's a way to get new games without bothering with discs, and with regards to Virtual Console, lots of folks would love to be able to download old games to play them again.

Yeah, it's just one guy in a large corporation who's essentially a dust speck in the grand scheme of things, but Nintendo's handling of their online services reminds me of how genuinely confused the dude sounded when he asked me that. It really just sounds like they don't "see" why anybody would strongly care about those things, the same way they thought that nobody would actually care about HD, the same way they thought that nobody would care about CD capacity over their cartridges. If it's something Nintendo isn't doing, if it's not part of their 'vision', I get the feeling that they don't concern themselves with it at all. Which is kinda hilarious because up until the Wii, this sort of attitude has bitten them in the rear end on the home console side of things for generations now.

The thing is, with the Wii they found a way to be super competitive WITHOUT trying to match the competition in terms of horsepower or online gaming with the motion controls. They provided (or at least tried to) a significantly different way to play videogames. They grabbed a set of consumers nobody even thought to look for. And then they let the Wii all but dry up two years ago, and their successor console has COMPLETELY FAILED to achieve that same appeal early on. It's like, not only did they not pay attention to what Sony and MS went through in the early years of their systems, but they apparently failed to retain anything that they learned from the Wii years, while also failing to learn anything from the 3DS launch.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

fivegears4reverse posted:

If it's something Nintendo isn't doing, if it's not part of their 'vision', I get the feeling that they don't concern themselves with it at all.
Typically they'll eventually come around, but always with some Nintendo twist to it that completely misses the point. It's almost as if they do it out of spite. People want an online account system? Make it tied to the system itself. People want achievements? Bake them into the game rather than do a system-wide implementation and offer no way to share them anyway.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Well we can forget about a price drop any time soon.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Louisgod posted:

It's okay, the inventory in stores now should last 5 years.

I do kinda wonder how much unsold inventory Nintendo has just sitting around in warehouses. Probably not as bad as the Blackberry Playbook situation or Microsoft's Surface, but they were originally estimating ~5.5 million consoles sold this year, and right now they're just over 3.6 million sold (or shipped?).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Mario Kart was a bit more like Smash, but more in the sense to have more characters, not just the Mario cast but everyone from Nintendo's IP's.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I wish Mario Kart was a bit more like Smash, but more in the sense to have more characters, not just the Mario cast but everyone from Nintendo's IP's.

I think everybody wants Nintendo Kart to exist.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Space Racist posted:

right now they're just over 3.6 million sold (or shipped?).

Shipped. And the prediction is still 9 million by March '14.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

Shipped. And the prediction is still 9 million by March '14.

Is there precedent for a single post-console-launch game single-handedly resulting in the sale of a million+ consoles that almost certainly wouldn't have happened without that game being released? The closest thing I can think of would be something like Street Fighter II way back on the Super NES...maybe Final Fantasy VII on the original PlayStation?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

Is there precedent for a single post-console-launch game single-handedly resulting in the sale of a million+ consoles that almost certainly wouldn't have happened without that game being released? The closest thing I can think of would be something like Street Fighter II way back on the Super NES...maybe Final Fantasy VII on the original PlayStation?

For post launch titles I think you named the only two. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. on the first Wii?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

univbee posted:

When you add the "that wouldn't have happened without that game being released" portion, it becomes shakier because of the incredible quality of what came after, but I'd say Grand Theft Auto 3 deserves a spot in that discussion. I can't tell you how many people I knew that decided they absolutely had to have a PS2 after seeing and playing GTA3.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Can no other factory produce the components? This seems like a problem that two or three years of forward notice should be enough to solve it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thefncrow posted:

When you add the "that wouldn't have happened without that game being released" portion, it becomes shakier because of the incredible quality of what came after, but I'd say Grand Theft Auto 3 deserves a spot in that discussion. I can't tell you how many people I knew that decided they absolutely had to have a PS2 after seeing and playing GTA3.

GTA4 must be one too, weren't there articles about how the US economy straight up noticeably improved like 48 hours after it was released?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

univbee posted:

Uncharted 2?

I had always heard that Final Fantasy 7 didn't cause that many console to be sold, instead taking advantage of the large number of already-sold Playstations to create a new fanbase.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Uncharted 2?

I had always heard that Final Fantasy 7 didn't cause that many console to be sold, instead taking advantage of the large number of already-sold Playstations to create a new fanbase.

What you're saying about FF7 is entirely possible. It definitely sold some consoles (I know because I was one of those buyers) but maybe not that many. Grand Thefts Auto from 3 onwards are also likely contenders. You pretty much need weekly (or at least monthly) US console sales numbers to find a solid corellation, and even that can't answer for certain. Call of Duty games are usually a Black Friday thing, when people will buy tons of consoles anyway, and a while back Microsoft scheduled a ban wave for just before this so that further screws up those numbers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pokemon MMO. Come on before some fan-

http://pokemmo.eu/

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

univbee posted:

Grand Thefts Auto from 3 onwards are also likely contenders.

Anecdotal, but GTA IV was when I jumped on the current gen wagon. MGS4 was the game that really sold me on PS3, but GTA IV was when I actually purchased one, so I guess it gets the credit. :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Pokemon MMO. Come on before some fan-

http://pokemmo.eu/

I can't wait to spin in place, challenging everyone with my team consisting of a Rattata, and another Rattata.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That loving Sned posted:

I can't wait to spin in place, challenging everyone with my team consisting of a Rattata, and another Rattata.

Just make sure you're in the top percentage of Rattata trainers.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Uncharted 2?

Eh, I may as well point out that me getting my PSX was due to Final Fantasy VII. So it was the system seller for me, along with Castlevania SoTN, but specifically I got the system itself and FFVII for my birthday.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Syfe posted:

Eh, I may as well point out that me getting my PSX was due to Final Fantasy VII. So it was the system seller for me, along with Castlevania SoTN, but specifically I got the system itself and FFVII for my birthday.

Yes, but as you (I'm guessing) had a Snes before the PsOne, you're not the run of the mill Playstation fan.

Final Fantasy VI sold 800,000 copies in North America. Final Fantasy VII sold over 3 million. Even if every single person who had been a fan of Final Fantasy had bought a Playstation for VII, that would leave more than 2 million players who bought it, despite having no prior contact with the series. The question is whether their already having a Playstation played a signifigant factor in these people getting Final Fantasy VII, or whether, with no prior contact to the series, they saw the turn based gameplay and Popeye people, and that convinced them to make the plunge on the system and the game. I would say the former.

I should point out I'm talking about the American and European markets when I say the ubiquity of the Playstation allowed FF7 to sell well - in Japan I would think it would be closer to 50/50.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

The question is whether their already having a Playstation played a signifigant factor in these people getting Final Fantasy VII, or whether, with no prior contact to the series, they saw the turn based gameplay and Popeye people, and that convinced them to make the plunge on the system and the game.

How do you manage to forget that FF7 was one of the most technically impressive game on the market at the time?

HOW?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 5, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There was nothing particularly technically impressive about low poly character models moving against pre-rendered enviroments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Install Windows posted:

There was nothing particularly technically impressive about low poly character models moving against pre-rendered enviroments.

Were you just not alive at the time, or what? It was considered a technically impressive game.

• Locked thread