Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Wait for The Wonderful 101 if you want. Hell they might get bundled for being superficially similar.

Mario Kart isn't coming till next spring (assuming it's not delayed) so waiting on that would be kind of pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

To Vex a Stranger posted:

So Pikmin 3, releases tomorrow. Last game I bought for the Wii U (not including New Super Luigi U DLC) was MH3U on Amazon and like a week after I got it I read that target had a buy 2 get 1 free or something like that special going on for Wii U games. Should I sit tight and wait for Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart and hope for a buy 2 deal or should I pull the trigger?

It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I hate paying full price and then getting screwed shortly thereafter.

Well, you can always just wait dude. Game is short as hell, there will be plenty of people selling it at half price or less on the internet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not playing Pikmin 3 as soon as you possibly can is the real mistake you're risking here.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Apparently I pre-ordered Pikmin 3 waaay back in October of last year when Newegg was running a 20% off sale. Got an email this morning saying my order had been processed, I thought my account had been hacked. At least I got it for $12 off, free shipping and no tax! Guess I've got Rayman on order too...

Fatal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I might be in the minority here, but while Kirby's facial expression changes might be silly, I do kind of like the effect of this little pink ball being really pissed about something. I remember that going back all the way to ads in magazines for Kirby Superstar, one of which I remember having him being in the middle of a s'more and being really pissed about it. As such I kind of inherently associate Kirby with being adorable while also beating the poo poo out of people, which is basically the content of his games. I dunno that EVERY cover is improved by that, but I kind of see where it works in terms of expressing the mood of the game. Maybe the original covers didn't properly express that Kirby can throw someone on the ground and stomp the poo poo out of them like he's making wine, I dunno.

Of course, the irony of this is that the game for which I saw the ad in question, Kirby Superstar, does not feature a frowning Kirby.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So with Pikmin 3 coming state side tomorrow will it be released on the eShop at midnight EST so I can start downloading right away?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So with Pikmin 3 coming state side tomorrow will it be released on the eShop at midnight EST so I can start downloading right away?

Retail releases (or at the very minimum, Nintendo ones) are almost always up at midnight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How long has it taken you guys to download full games from the eshop? Still deciding on if I should go digital or grab it tomorrow morning.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Kilometers Davis posted:

How long has it taken you guys to download full games from the eshop? Still deciding on if I should go digital or grab it tomorrow morning.
I downloaded Game & Wario when it launched and it took 20minutes. I'm pretty sure that is the same size as Pikmin

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, you can always just wait dude. Game is short as hell, there will be plenty of people selling it at half price or less on the internet.

Is it honestly short? Cuz I don't play games often, so it should be quite long in that respect?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Is it honestly short? Cuz I don't play games often, so it should be quite long in that respect?

It took me about 8 hours until I beat the final boss, but that's without 100%ing all the levels and without even touching challenge mode.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

I bought it Friday last week for my wife and she pretty much played it non stop from then throughout the weekend and finished it, if that helps your frame of reference. It also has a few multiplayer modes like Competitive Bingo Battle, and Co-op Treasure Hunting, Monster Fighting and Boss Fighting.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

deafmute posted:

I downloaded Game & Wario when it launched and it took 20minutes. I'm pretty sure that is the same size as Pikmin

I envy you. Game & Wario took about two hours for me.

I'll probably be buying Pikmin 3 physically tomorrow as a result. Do Gamestop and Best Buy usually have Sunday releases available right when they open?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Behonkiss posted:

I'll probably be buying Pikmin 3 physically tomorrow as a result. Do Gamestop and Best Buy usually have Sunday releases available right when they open?

Gamestop should be fine. Best Buy will most likely have it but you may have to ask them to get the game from the store room.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I went to Wal Mart to check out the $199 Wii Us and they were all sold out. Judging from what I've heard in this thread, that is the least likely thing that has ever happened!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

To Vex a Stranger posted:

So Pikmin 3, releases tomorrow. Last game I bought for the Wii U (not including New Super Luigi U DLC) was MH3U on Amazon and like a week after I got it I read that target had a buy 2 get 1 free or something like that special going on for Wii U games. Should I sit tight and wait for Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart and hope for a buy 2 deal or should I pull the trigger?

It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I hate paying full price and then getting screwed shortly thereafter.

Mario Kart isn't coming out till 2014, it might be prudent to wait at least till W101 comes out if you're really concerned about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm at about 10 hours on my save just before the final boss, but again that's a non-100% run and nothing in mission mode. I'm probably going to run through it twice more to get all the fruit and do a faster run.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

If you're at all interested in Mission Mode/100% completion, Pikmin 3 is likely a 20 hour game. If you've got buddies to play Bingo Battle with, possibly quite more.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

SyRauk posted:

Am I the only one who seriously cannot play Kid Icarus without my knuckles from locking up in intense pain?
My hand cramps when I'm just using the regular buttons on the 3DS. KIU feels really comfortable though. ...I feel lucky.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Number Two Stunna posted:

I went to Wal Mart to check out the $199 Wii Us and they were all sold out. Judging from what I've heard in this thread, that is the least likely thing that has ever happened!

I did the same. Gosh darn immigrants are stealing our wiis I tell you.

VVV There was also a deal at future shop for 250, which was sold out.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 4, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Maybe that's because 250 would be a much more acceptable price for the basic model.

That's pretty good news though. If sales go right back into the poops it would be strong evidence that a price drop would really turn poo poo around (as if any was needed).

EDIT: For those wondering about Cloudberry kingdom, our very own Axemaniac does an LP here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZYujAzCf4 it looks like a good game with tons of content if you're into challenging 2D platforming, I can imagine some people being turned off by the generic flashgame art style though.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2013

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Picked myself up a Wii U yesterday. I'd been umming and ahhing over it for a while now, so when I saw EB Games had a special and I had birthday money burning a hole in my pocket I decided to go ahead. Picked up a basic console and preowned Nintendoland for $300 AUS. Went ahead and also bought preowned NSMBU because why not.

Trip report: Nintendoland's pretty cool. I haven't even owned the WiiU for 24 hours yet and my house has already racked up about 5 hours. I'm slightly disappointed there aren't more multiplayer games, but even the single player games are pretty fun to watch in a group if only due to the novelty of the gamepad. Definitely an effective demo of what can be done with the gamepad and some wiimotes. So far I think my favourite game is the Mario chase one - it's a simple but drat effective concept.

NSMBU is quality, which I expected. Being able to just play singleplayer on the pad is a nice option, but it's a shame it can't be used as just a straight controller in multiplayer.

I guess now I should start looking into getting Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter or something. What's the thread consensus on Game & Wario as a multiplayer/party game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Narrator posted:

What's the thread consensus on Game & Wario as a multiplayer/party game?

I think G&W multiplayer is great. The find the fruit thief game is surprisingly fun.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think G&W multiplayer is great. The find the fruit thief game is surprisingly fun.

I think it's horrible. Read reviews (which are spot on) and watch some gameplay videos to make a decision. The people I normally play games with spent such little time with it because of how small the multiplayer game selection is and how not fun it is.

Unless you like Pictionary. As I've said before, because of iOS I've burned out on "what am I drawing games" but if you haven't that should be a lot of fun.

But yeah, multi is garbage, single player is better but it's single player.

E: Basically I want the Wii version again because that game was too much fun with a group of people.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thank God they learned from Skyward Sword and improved the Motion+ pointing for Pikmin 3. Now it operates on a hybrid basis, mainly using the IR for speed and precision, but augmenting/stabilizing it with Motion+. The result is really nice!

You can actually block the Wiimote's view and still control the cursor, and then when you unblock it, it'll use the sensor bar to correct the cursor position.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Narrator posted:

I guess now I should start looking into getting Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter or something. What's the thread consensus on Game & Wario as a multiplayer/party game?
It's not bad, but it's pretty weak overall. You'll have fun, but you're not missing anything if you skip it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Thank God they learned from Skyward Sword and improved the Motion+ pointing for Pikmin 3. Now it operates on a hybrid basis, mainly using the IR for speed and precision, but augmenting/stabilizing it with Motion+. The result is really nice!

You can actually block the Wiimote's view and still control the cursor, and then when you unblock it, it'll use the sensor bar to correct the cursor position.

That's cool, I didn't bother to plug in the motion plus because I didn't know Pikmin 3 used it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I started downloading Pikmin 3 last night and went to bed so hopefully it's finished and ready to play now. Do you guys that have played it suggest wii mote + motion plus or the gamepad for the controls.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ Definitely Wiimote.

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's great, I didn't even notice because I still have the old non-Plus Wiimotes. Let's hope they use that method in future titles, too!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why isn't the Gamepad the best case scenario for new Nintendo games? Wouldn't they want to do that to prove the worth of it? Very strange that the old controllers are the better way of playing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

For what it's worth the gamepad map is super helpful in Pikmin 3, so even if you're playing with motion controls you should still be using the gamepad for the map.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Why isn't the Gamepad the best case scenario for new Nintendo games? Wouldn't they want to do that to prove the worth of it? Very strange that the old controllers are the better way of playing.

Wasn't Pikmin 3 originally being developed for the Wii, or am I making that up?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

The Narrator posted:

There are only a few multiplayer games but Fronks and Fruit are both fun unless the people you play with are miserable assholes to be around. You can play bowling with 2 people(not bad) and design(CAN be fun with the right combination of alcohol). It is a good change from Nintendoland if you've got multiple people over but it should probably be cheaper since the game is so short. Sonic Racing Transformed is fun with other people if you like racing games.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I felt so burned by the NES that I can never buy a Super NES again.

I sure hope you bought that NES three times, or this has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

antidote posted:

I sure hope you bought that NES three times, or this has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

His point was that even though it has "DS" in the title, the 3DS is entirely different from the DS, just as the SNES was entirely different from the similarly named NES.

Perhaps what you meant was "I got burned by the DS, so I decided never to buy another Nintendo handheld" since your post implied that you thought the 3DS was just another DS revision.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

romanowski posted:

Wasn't Pikmin 3 originally being developed for the Wii, or am I making that up?

No you're right. I suppose the point is that a Nintendo specific game on a new system still trying to find its audience is leaving the pad as an optional accessory when it needs to put it front and center if they want to have people understand the benefit of playing with just a pad. It's like if they included classic control in Skyward Sword people more than likely would've defaulted to motionless controls. With Pikmin, they gave people that option and are basically saying hey, the gamepad's kinda useless, you can use the system to play our games.. in HD!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

antidote posted:

Well if they were just buying up every version that came along they'dve gotten it twice, in both classic VHS and slim top loading flavours.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Is the gamepad not functional for P3? Or is the wiimote just superior as a control scheme.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the gamepad not functional for P3? Or is the wiimote just superior as a control scheme.

The Wiimote is faster and more accurate but the Gamepad controls are fine. It's just hard to beat the Wiimote for point-and-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I played through the whole game using the gamepad and it works great. My only problem is that I sometimes have trouble targeting flying enemies - not sure if that goes away with motion controls or not.

• Locked thread