Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Who has seen Great Moravia survive past 50 years? In my game I took a look to find that Great Moravia still exists as a primary title, not only that but they seem to have taken up the mantle of Hungary (which no longer exists) become Tengri, and conquered Pomerania and Poland. I wonder if they get unique events in EUIV...

I love it when the AI becomes supercompetent randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

Yes, tech generation is learning + diplomacy or stewardship or martial, then multiplied by a number (though I can't remember what the numbers are) depending on whether you're a duke, king or emperor.

It doesn't matter anyway. It's probably not worth the headache.

Antinumeric posted:

Who has seen Great Moravia survive past 50 years? In my game I took a look to find that Great Moravia still exists as a primary title, not only that but they seem to have taken up the mantle of Hungary (which no longer exists) become Tengri, and conquered Pomerania and Poland. I wonder if they get unique events in EUIV...

In my current game as the ERE, them and Bulgaria fended off the Magyars with my help and 100 years later both are the big Orthodox powers in Eastern Europe.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 4, 2013

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Allyn posted:

Yes, tech generation is learning + diplomacy or stewardship or martial, then multiplied by a number (though I can't remember what the numbers are) depending on whether you're a duke, king or emperor.

It's +20% as a king and +40% as an emperor I think.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Do kings really get more tech? I thought that all dukes generate tech.

I've been hosed by king vassals too many times to the point where I only create the smallest kingdoms and not at all as Byz. I mean have you actually had to pay off several powerful king vassals at once? It's multiple hundreds of gold per, which during a possible succession crisis you don't really want to throw away (and you probably wouldn't be having if your vassals were all dukes with one county demesnes). I used to play by creating every king title and letting them run roughshod over the realm, but hte pain of succession every generation just isn't worth it.

No it's not. IT's harder, and if you can't push them over the faction relationship threshold with gifts and honorary titles, then that's it. They stay in the faction with all of their manpower. With dukes, you only need to toss a few low bribes at the most likely candidates to cause the faction to dissolve.

Sounds like you forget about the chancellor improve relations mission? That one is s huge +40 to relations, and since you have few vassals you can always have him working a king vassal. Also do not forget that educate children is also a +20 to relations, you can send any worthless child to them and they will be happy, and if you manage to be their mentor you get a permanent +25 to relations.

In other news I just had an incredible stroke of luck with my eugenics program, I managed to find a genius wife for my genius son and they had twins....both geniuses. Now I just need to change the law to elective, which I will confess is really hard when all your vassals are kings of your own dynasty :getin:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
King vassals are definitely fun if you're looking for a challenge that an empire full of archbishops can't provide. And it does definitely cut down on the micromanagement and makes successions exciting.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Plus, not much can beat being able to call up a 50,000 man stack at whim. It's complete overkill on the annoyingly frequent peasant revolts, but funny to drop 'em on those, and it's a lifesaver against the hordes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TjyvTompa posted:

Sounds like you forget about the chancellor improve relations mission? That one is s huge +40 to relations, and since you have few vassals you can always have him working a king vassal. Also do not forget that educate children is also a +20 to relations, you can send any worthless child to them and they will be happy, and if you manage to be their mentor you get a permanent +25 to relations.

And if everything fails you can still use your Spymaster.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Raising levies is an excercise in extreme tedium unless you're getting them from a king.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"Hey Im doing pretty good in this game. Ive formed the Empire of Russia and have all the de jure territories"

*The Ilkhanate has arrived North of the Caspain Sea

"Okay I lost Ruthenia, hopefully I'll be able to take it back once their doomstacks get weake-"

*The Golden Horde has arrived In Perm

"Oh come the gently caress on"

Now the Russian Tsardom struggles to survive with just its Finnish, Estonian, and Black Sea holdings.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

unwantedplatypus posted:

"Hey Im doing pretty good in this game. Ive formed the Empire of Russia and have all the de jure territories"

*The Ilkhanate has arrived North of the Caspain Sea

"Okay I lost Ruthenia, hopefully I'll be able to take it back once their doomstacks get weake-"

*The Golden Horde has arrived In Perm

"Oh come the gently caress on"

Now the Russian Tsardom struggles to survive with just its Finnish, Estonian, and Black Sea holdings.

The hordes have always kept me from playing a Russian dynasty (note that I don't have Sunset Invasion). What's the general MO for dealing with horde-type countries? Just doing regular damage control and praying that they'll leave you alone?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah even without the tech, money and manpower advantages of having powerful vassals they would still be worth it just to cut down on micromanagement.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Antinumeric posted:

In my game its 1200 and Moravia is the second largest christian power and the only major one that wasn't created by me by carving it out of the muslim/pagan hordes.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

The hordes have always kept me from playing a Russian dynasty (note that I don't have Sunset Invasion). What's the general MO for dealing with horde-type countries? Just doing regular damage control and praying that they'll leave you alone?

If the military option has failed you.... stabbing. Assassinate or capture and execute their generals, their leaders and their heirs, their vassals and their families... in short, make them pay with the blood of their wives and children, their retainers and their bannermen for every province they capture.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

What good does that do when your 20 diplomacy King dies and you're left with a child on the throne and somewhere down the line 2 of your king vassals got married and now they have 2 kingdoms and are pissed, and you can't appease them? What if you don't have any children to educate? What if oyu don;t have enough money to pay off your rebellious vassals. Your vassals won't wait for your chancellor to get a 1/3 chance per year relationship boost before going through with their faction demands. Seems like a lot of risk for little gain.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

It's really not that hard, particularly from 867. Just build up a decent sized state and go to town.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

help

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Golden Horde and the Aztec Empire are touching. Mali is located in Spain, north of the African Empire. Britannia and England both exist independent from one another.

It's beautiful in so many ways. CK2.jpg.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

In my current game the Golden Horde controls almost everything to the east of the HRE in addition to the territory the Ilkhanate usually takes (the Caucasus, Persia, etc.), and the HRE is fighting for its life, even with my forces assisting them (the HRE is my dynasty). Combined with an unstable Francia, if the HRE falls then they'll likely reach the Atlantic.

Question: if you have a family member executed, do you still get the Kinslayer trait?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I started an old gods game and made a merchant republic in northern Denmark which I then saved and re-loaded to play as. The problem I'm having is: everything is hosed in terms of inheritance.

So my country is the Republic of Jylland and my player is the super grand prince ultra-mayor of it. As you can see I've set up my son to win the next election. The problem is, some random other dude is set to inherit all my poo poo. He's part of a great house, plus any time I conquer new land the land goes to HIM!

Why is this guy going to inherit everything??

What is going on with my budding republic? Is something hosed due to the way it was created? Does being norse have anything to do with it? Killing the heirs over and over hasn't fixed it as it keeps goign down this family line. There must be something I can do. The frustrating thing is that I don't understand WHY this is happening.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Leb posted:

If the military option has failed you.... stabbing. Assassinate or capture and execute their generals, their leaders and their heirs, their vassals and their families... in short, make them pay with the blood of their wives and children, their retainers and their bannermen for every province they capture.

In one of my games I kept killing the leader of the horde every time they reached adulthood via cheatcode, they still didn't suffer rebellions and kept taking new territory (well ofc since any vassals would have to fight a 100k doomstack). It's really just appalling game design.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So I started an old gods game and made a merchant republic in northern Denmark which I then saved and re-loaded to play as. The problem I'm having is: everything is hosed in terms of inheritance.

I think that's just a bug with republics. It'll show the person who would be second place in the election inheriting when it should be your son. If you want to test it you can save and kill yourself using the console.

As for him getting all the land that you take, I think it might be you're seizing cities or counties where they already have a trade post/city so it goes to them instead. If you're taking the land some other way and it's doing that it's probably another bug.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, the hordes get a once-per-ruler reinforcement event, and killing the ruler just gives them that event again, so all the usual politicking does is make them even stronger.

The invasions can backfire pretty hard on them, though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

trashcangammy posted:

In one of my games I kept killing the leader of the horde every time they reached adulthood via cheatcode, they still didn't suffer rebellions and kept taking new territory (well ofc since any vassals would have to fight a 100k doomstack). It's really just appalling game design.

If there's one thing Paradox is bad with, it's designing events that can't be altered by any normal gameplay means. For example, a 1066 Hungary start is a loving nightmare of instant rebellions, and I found out that console-killing literally everyone there will just make the game spawn random people to start leading new rebellions. You can't stab your way out of getting hosed. As well, the rebellions still happen even if you ruler design and take away rule from the Arpads. Unless they changed it in a patch, they really want you to be entirely unable to maintain even a semblance of stability with that start to the point of ludicrousness and it kinda kills it when you're completely hosed from the start with no chance to survive it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Hell, I've seen a Crusader kingdom turn back the Il-Khanate at Mesopotamia, which I thought was their height of power.

Then again, said kingdom had started in Egypt, and swallowed Jerusalem, Syria, Arabia, Nubia, parts of Africa...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The hordes have always kept me from playing a Russian dynasty

It's not restricted to CK2 either. Playing Medieval 2: Total War as the Rus, there may as well be a gigantic 'Armageddon Clock' superimposed on your screen for the first half of the game, as you frantically balance conquest, infrastructure development and army building while you wait for thousands upon thousands of steppe horsemen to show up.

In terms of dealing with them, the same rules apply, actually. If you can get an alliance, they'll probably look elsewhere. Otherwise, defend river crossings and use whatever terrain you can to your advantage.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Shima Honnou posted:

If there's one thing Paradox is bad with, it's designing events that can't be altered by any normal gameplay means. For example, a 1066 Hungary start is a loving nightmare of instant rebellions, and I found out that console-killing literally everyone there will just make the game spawn random people to start leading new rebellions. You can't stab your way out of getting hosed. As well, the rebellions still happen even if you ruler design and take away rule from the Arpads. Unless they changed it in a patch, they really want you to be entirely unable to maintain even a semblance of stability with that start to the point of ludicrousness and it kinda kills it when you're completely hosed from the start with no chance to survive it.
What are you talking about? I haven't played as Hungary in a long while but those rebellions are happening since your dukes have a claim on the throne and the king starts out in a fairly weak position and is completely normal gameplay.

That start is also completely survivable. Some characters just have harder starting positions than others!

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Kainser posted:

What are you talking about? I haven't played as Hungary in a long while but those rebellions are happening since your dukes have a claim on the throne and the king starts out in a fairly weak position and is completely normal gameplay.

Even as a 20 diplo designed ruler, virtually the first thing that happens in a 1066 Hungary start is eventually someone will rebel and pretty much every other vassal will also rebel. Killing the heads of these rebellions just causes more people to spring up. Using charinfo I've gone as far as wiping out almost every dynasty within Hungary and more rebels will just start popping in their place.

EDIT:

It'd be fine if all the other vassals didn't cascade into revolt immediately after the first ones declare.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 4, 2013

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What good does that do when your 20 diplomacy King dies and you're left with a child on the throne and somewhere down the line 2 of your king vassals got married and now they have 2 kingdoms and are pissed, and you can't appease them? What if you don't have any children to educate? What if oyu don;t have enough money to pay off your rebellious vassals. Your vassals won't wait for your chancellor to get a 1/3 chance per year relationship boost before going through with their faction demands. Seems like a lot of risk for little gain.

Well of course the absolute worst could happen, its part of the gamble. I never said king vassals was the solution to all problems that made for a for-eternity-stable empire. Personally I would rather handle the chance of a major revolt during succession than the constant duke rebellions. I almost pop a vein in my brain every time fucktard duke #25 thinks he can take on the empire with his 2 counties and across-europe single-county ally.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone clarify for me: If I, as a Norse pagan, set Aganatic succession, will it still be Gavelkind or will it be one rear end in a top hat to rule them all?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When I play on the eastern edge of the map, I usually endeavor to have two daughters in their late teens prepared in advance of the hordes' arrival and send them marriage offers on the day they show up, acceptance make them my allies, and tends to stave off their invasions until such time as they've ground their superstacks down a little on my neighbours.

Obviously this doesn't really work if they actually spawn in your territory and are therefore at war with you from day 1.

Orv posted:

Someone clarify for me: If I, as a Norse pagan, set Aganatic succession, will it still be Gavelkind or will it be one rear end in a top hat to rule them all?

Agnatic just means women are always skipped in inheritance. Agnatic is a gender law not a succession law, so you'd have Agnatic Gavelkind when what you are apparently wanting is [Agnatic] Primogeniture.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Orv posted:

Agnatic just means only men can inherit, that's all. It has no impact on changing to/from gavelkind.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Even as a 20 diplo designed ruler, virtually the first thing that happens in a 1066 Hungary start is eventually someone will rebel and pretty much every other vassal will also rebel. Killing the heads of these rebellions just causes more people to spring up. Using charinfo I've gone as far as wiping out almost every dynasty within Hungary and more rebels will just start popping in their place.

EDIT:

It'd be fine if all the other vassals didn't cascade into revolt immediately after the first ones declare.

Oh, come on. You actually screw yourself over by ruler designer, the stock character starts with an alliance with the HRE. Sure, you have 3 dukes who are also title claimants but it just means you have to keep good relations with them. Loosing the kingship isn't the end of the world, you can always win it back. Stop whining and roll with it.

EDIT:

My Hungary game. No mods, no ruler designer, just started as the king of Hungary. You'll notice that I'm in a civil war (two in fact). You'll also notice I'm winning both of them rather handily. Your starting demease gives you quite alot of troops, and if you crush the other armies before they have time to join you'll win. I was in a third war aswell, with the duke of Transylvania, but he surrendered after I killed all his men. This is all discounting the fact a HRE doomstack is about to arrive and help me mop up. In short, stop whining and learn to play.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 4, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I gave it a go as Salamon as well and it's a shitload easier now. They must have changed it after Old Gods, because it used to be loving miserable enough that I never tried again post-Old Gods.

Even managed to beat the rebellion without HRE actually joining the war. And then Salamon promptly got sick and died at 17 and it all started again with his son :suicide:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I have a dynasty member with a Weak claim to the Umayyad Sultanate and the current Sultan has no adult children. The dynasty member in question also has Weak claims to both Empires I control.
I'm currently debating whether the benefits of having a very powerful ally outweigh the risk that he might invade if my reign slips into a regency at some point.

If it does, though, it's time for some :ese:

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

kingturnip posted:

I have a dynasty member with a Weak claim to the Umayyad Sultanate and the current Sultan has no adult children. The dynasty member in question also has Weak claims to both Empires I control.
I'm currently debating whether the benefits of having a very powerful ally outweigh the risk that he might invade if my reign slips into a regency at some point.

If it does, though, it's time for some :ese:

Or if they succeed in grabbing your realm from you, you just switch rulers and take over playing as that clever AI bastard!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've never been in the position to do so... but what exactly can you do as a regent? I've seen images of AI regents shutting the kid up in a tower forever but that doesn't seem to unlock any new powers for the regent or what?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In old gods there's no HRE, no france and so on. Do these have a chance to form later on or is the HRE and such gone for good?

Kyphie
Mar 26, 2010
Speaking of vassal kings I wish :black101: was a trait you could gain that would discourage open rebellion and encourage them to stick to plots or something.

After revoking and executing the kings of Ireland and England twice as the same Emperor you'd think their appointed successors would realize rebellion was a poor decision, yet they keep trying even at 30-50 positive relations. I realize that's not a huge deal, but it's far from negative. I'm just past 1300 and every single county and barony is my dynasty from the sheer amount of revocation and appointment I've done, and yet they keep trying every single time. What really bothered me was when my firstborn son, already landed as a king, tried to rebel by himself. I wasn't even 50 yet. After putting him down I gave the same crown to my youngest son who joined the next rebellion started by some jackass duke who never had a ghost of a chance.

Eventually I got upset and cast aside concerns of tyranny since rebellion seemed inevitable despite positive opinion and started doing brutal medieval stuff like killing each of their sons and grandsons and allowing the rebel himself to waste in prison, banishing without concern and using their estates money to hire the assassins that follow them on their flight to foreign courts, and just general rear end in a top hat stuff like casually plot killing wives and children on hopeless plotters to kill me and my own.

On topic of the Aztecs I really would not have a single criticism if it weren't for the attrition less 200k stacks. There's no in game way to counter that at all unless you're some sort of multi-emperor or without hiring every mercenary in Christendom as well as every Holy Order. Why can't they just walk around in 20k stacks, fanning out to attack dozens of provinces at once and only come together if you bring your own 100k starving stack to the fight? I'd love it if it were a ridiculous war on ten fronts and your army actually had a chance to cut through massive roving war bands before being overwhelmed as opposed to your army of 'only' 70k being killed to the man and only taking down about 1k of the naked warriors that slaughtered them in return. It's just so unfun that they get the benefit of instant steamrolling and no drawback whatsoever. It didn't bother me too badly in Britannia and I enjoyed having them on the map as their culture and the crusades to reclaim France after they'd lost their steam from smallpox but it wouldn't be any fun if I actually played a mainland King.

Although a crusade did just fail at +2% because my full strength and ready to roll army arrived at -99% (delayed from having to murder my cousins I raised from courtiers to kings) and while they were storming the castles the pope didn't check his cell phone before calling it off.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baronjutter posted:

In old gods there's no HRE, no france and so on. Do these have a chance to form later on or is the HRE and such gone for good?

France exists as West Francia and will rename automatically if the kingdom title is held by a non-Karling. HRE can form in the same way Brittania/Francia/Hispania etc can form: no special mechanics to it, just need to hold enough of the de jure territory. It can happen but it's not very common, in my experience, even with the Karling inheritence clusterfucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

I have a weird issue that's happened to me twice now - the first time I thought I screwed up, but it happened again and this time it's with my heir.

I am emperor of Britannia, and I married my heir to a female heir of the Kingdom of France, and double-checked that "Matrilineal" was not checked off. They got married, and she moved into my court. I granted my son a duchy just to give him some land, and then assassinated the king of france to make my son the king, intending that he will eventually inherit the empire, and their kids will continue the dynasty and I'll gobble up France eventually.

However, when they had a daughter I got an inheritance warning and the daughter (my granddaughter is listed as the heir to France with red text, meaning that she's a non-dynastic heir... what's going on here?

• Locked thread