Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013
EverQuest AFK Leveling (and AA) Guide: It’s all about 3 Boxing

[Note: This guide is based primarily on the Hot Zone Wall of Slaughter. As noted below, if you are looking for an AFK camp for levels up to 65, go to The Bloodfields.]

When people return to EverQuest from an extended absence, they always ask where’s the best place to level and grind AA’s. This is a short guide addressing the need of returning players.

Currently, most returning players are forced to molo (solo with a merc) from level 1 to 80+. Along the way, most players are going to need to grind a few thousand AAs in order to be effective at 80+ when playing their character. Moloing is effective in the early levels due to overpowered Tank Mercs, but starting in the 60’s leveling takes longer and the Tank Merc becomes less overpowered versus the content. Yet, player groups are hard to come by in the 60 to 80 level range. This guide is a solution to that problem.

With EverQuest free to play, returning players can easily add additional accounts. (On Test Server, these free additional accounts come with Gold subscription status versus the Silver status on a Live server.) The idea to help in grinding to where the other players are (level-wise) is to add two additional accounts and create a 3 box team. (Using ISBoxer is useful for this; please reference my other guide for info) It doesn’t matter what the composition is of your 3 box team. It doesn’t matter if you have no interest in playing the new characters when they reach the high end game. You need the three accounts, so you can create a sustainable merc team. You’re looking to create a merc team of Tank/ DPS/ Healer. Your toon classes are irrelevant.

The merc trio can easily handle content to level 80 with you solidly playing your main toon (and dragging along the other two characters). But the real advantage is when you want to grind out AA’s while also leveling from 65 to 80. Killing mass numbers of light blue mobs is particularly easy with this merc setup and a player toon. However, this guide is designed to overcome the boring grind (your definition, the reader) that every player eventually faces.

The key zone for AFK leveling and AA grinding in the 65 to 80 level range is Wall of Slaughter. There are two main camps that you’ll use. The south camp is the three rooms near the Nobles Causeway zone line. The north camp is the three rooms near Muramite Proving Grounds. When actively playing, your group should be able to easily clear all three rooms plus the solo pulls nearby. For AFK leveling/ AA grinding, you want to station your toons in one room and just sit there.

Make sure that the Tank Merc has been assigned the role of Main Tank. Also, the first AA you should grind on your player toons are to max Combat Stability and then max Combat Agility. Your toons are going to get attacked and hit. The key to AFK grinding is to not die rather than maximize exp per hour.

The South Camp is the starting point. The mobs here are level 62-64. You can start around lvl 65 or before when the mobs are dark blue if your toons are well geared and have max CS and CA. Make sure you break the room and kill the first wave of mobs slowly. If you have an enchanter mez the adds and then hold them for one minute after each kill. You want the repops to be single pulls and not a three pull, so the timing of your agro and kill cycle on the first way is important. Also, once the room is broken, stand closer to the back wall of the room rather than the hallway. When the mob starts to run, you want enough space for your merc team to finalize the kill before aggroing the mobs across the hall in the other room. You can stay here until you reach level 77.

The North Camp is the second camp when you reach level 77. (You can come here earlier if actively playing.) The mobs here are level 67. You can stay here until you ding lvl 83. So max out at lvl 82 and grind all your final AAs here.

There’s an important point to be made about this guide and why it’s successful. The key is the respawn time for the zone. Wall of Slaughter has repop time of 10 minutes and 40 seconds. This repop time is significantly faster than Doomfire, the Burning Lands (Plane of Fire) which is 36 minutes. Additionally, the mobs in Wall of Slaughter have a larger agro radius than the Plane of Fire mobs which helps.

While I didn’t test this strategy in The Bloodfields, I think that zone also has a fast respawn rate of 10 minutes and 40 seconds, so this strategy should also work there if you can find a similar camp.

Finally, here’s the math on why I believe this guide has value. You should easily average about 25% of an AA for each of the light blue mobs while at the South or North Camp. (Test server people should average 37%.) Considering you should be killing three mobs every cycle in which each cycle is 10min and 40 secs, you should be killing 15 mobs an hour. This works out to 4 AA (6 AA on Test) an hour while AFK. For an AFK camp, 100 AA a day isn’t too bad.

[Note: If you would like to see map images on exactly where these camps are, please visit my blog post at http://www.eqforever.com/index.php/blog/2/entry-5-everquest-afk-leveling-and-aa-guide-it%92s-all-about-3-boxing/ ]

Xars fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

I got all my boxes to level 49 relatively quick once I added the bard. It is still clumsy as gently caress but my main problem is that the bazaar is a joke on test and I am using a majority of test copied level 25 (essentially the equivalent of wet rear end) gear.

I don't want to grind for 3 characters to get items but where should I be at level 50 for farming defiant? The guide I'm following tells me to go to Hate and uh that sounds like a terrible idea when my level 49 is using a 8/24 1HS. The fact that I kick so much rear end with such terrible gear is disheartening, because it makes me realize that if I had some decent gear this would be 15x easier (it is already easy).

So in short where should I go around level 50 particularly to get some decent items on my back, or should I just keep leveling and screw items? At this rate I am not going to be able to grind out AA at level 60 with the items my characters have.

Don't worry about gear yet. You can easily hit 65 with mercs without any gear but the /testbuff items. If you run GamParse, you'll see that the Tank and DPS Merc blow away your toon on DPS. Increasing your toon DPS isn't going to change your group's DPS very much.

Just level and then grind AA. Check the bazaar because gear does become more readily available once you hit Elaborate/Elegant stuff.

Donny J
Jan 20, 2006

si posted:

Mesa in the northwest has some viking giants. They're still very good for me at 51. Some are red con even. Journeyman merc x2 will rip them to shreds, even if you are effectively worthless yourself and asleep.

You can hit the bazaar and usually score a weapon or two - they're just going to be REALLY expensive.

Also check out The Hole to grind out AAs. I forget which level, somewhere between 55ish and 70, but the tunnel leading to the bottom is excellent AA exp, and then once you get a few more levels, the temple all the way at the bottom with the ghosts is killer AA exp as well, along with pretty quick respawn time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What's a good place to swarm greens to level up AAs on a level 80 alt? Greater Unrest is ALMOST perfect, as a paladin, except about a third of the monsters are grey and therefore don't give the alt AA experience. They hit absolutely pitifully, like around 2k, so I can kill the entire zone with about three or four pulls. I could even go less, but ghoul root can screw things up and I can only purify it once every 15? minutes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Unrest revamp just ended yesterday as far as I know.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Xars posted:

EverQuest AFK Leveling (and AA) Guide: It’s all about 3 Boxing

Wow thanks Xars. I'm going to give this a shot in a few levels (still only level 50) because I was trying to do the viking camps in Gorukar Mesa but they kept running causing trains and well it wasn't the best way to handle things.

Reading your post brought me RIGHT back to when Omens of War was released and Walls of Slaughter/MPG were chock full of people. I remember being in WoS with 50-100 people at once farming the tentacle caves and I kinda miss those days! Granted, the 3 box AFK thing sounds amazing and I'll have to give it a shot when I am capable. Good write up thank you again!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Node posted:

What's a good place to swarm greens to level up AAs on a level 80 alt? Greater Unrest is ALMOST perfect, as a paladin, except about a third of the monsters are grey and therefore don't give the alt AA experience. They hit absolutely pitifully, like around 2k, so I can kill the entire zone with about three or four pulls. I could even go less, but ghoul root can screw things up and I can only purify it once every 15? minutes.

PoFire C2 is all light blue at 80 and hit for 800, so if 2k isn't scaring you, that place sure as hell won't. I don't really know the deal with paladin swarming other than it's doable yet not as good as SK, but I used PoFire and it was dirt easy at 80.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alright goons, I put my work-in-progress EQ website online. Many articles are blank, but there are several with some info I spent a lot of time putting together. It's basically my OP in a website form. I spent hours upon hours researching some of the stuff, which was a ton of fun in itself, such as digging up the entire EQ server history, making a complete zone level chart or researching what on earth stats really do. I will be slowly working on improving it.

http://www.zlizeq.com

Let me know what you think, and also ideas for articles. When I get it a bit more into shape (I will soon make it so that work in progress articles are not links in the menu) I'll try to spread the word of it on EQ forums and submit it to Google.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

si posted:

On a different topic. I've been pretty good in most games at making decent returns on just trading the markets. I'm debating seeing if I can't do that on one of the live servers on EQ without bothering too much trying to farm stuff, and just trade active items. Anyone have any tips on which live servers have active economies in bazaar?
I did a census in April and concluded the following:

FV has the biggest bazaar, 21000 items for sale
Trakanon is stone dead - literally one person selling some junk
Vox's bazaar is weak, but up and coming. About 5000 items for sale
Zek is very low

All other servers are roughly equal in terms of the number of traders and items for sale, ranging between 12k and 16k items for sale when I checked. I can't actually measure the amount of true activity, though.

Node posted:

Have you tried Paw? I always use that for AA'ing up alts. Mobs hit for 700 max and there will be around 80-90% light blues, the rest green if I remember correctly.

The downside is that if you're powerful enough, you can clear it out too fast, and any competition in the zone makes it slow.

Paw is also great for non-swarmers, just walk from mob to mob, perhaps pull a couple or 10 at a time and utilize damage shield and riposte damage.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I finally broke down and started two boxing, but in typical fashion it's the dumbest box possible most likely. Rogue with an SK. Not going to be great but it's what I want to play so gently caress it.

I'm planning on PLing to 65, stopping for awhile and learning how to play it, then going up in 5 level increments and stopping for a few days while doing every expansion's main quests. Do we have any goon rogues who can answer the more basic of questions?

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Midnight City posted:

I finally broke down and started two boxing, but in typical fashion it's the dumbest box possible most likely. Rogue with an SK. Not going to be great but it's what I want to play so gently caress it.

I'm planning on PLing to 65, stopping for awhile and learning how to play it, then going up in 5 level increments and stopping for a few days while doing every expansion's main quests. Do we have any goon rogues who can answer the more basic of questions?

Add a Shammy and with 3 mercs you'll have a very solid group. You on Test?

Play the SK and just turn every mob for the Rogue and spam BS.

It's similar to SK-Shm-Mnk and that works well.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I run with warrior, bard, rogue. The only hard part is positioning, and it's more annoying than hard.

The thing that really sucks is when mobs (usually nameds) spawn a lot of adds, or move around a lot.

As far as when to stop XPing for AAs, I would do 71, 76, 81, 86, 92. This gives you better AAs, a couple new/better discs, and usually new armor you can attune. Obviously this helps you kill faster to gain AAs faster.

As far as must have AAs for Rogue try these (not in any particular order)

Ingenuity
Veteran's Wrath
Combat Fury
Virulent Venom

Triple Backstab,
Chaotic Stab,
Precise Strikes,
Precision
Massive Strike
Hastened Stealth, Shroud of Stealth, Escape

Flurry
Ambidexterity
Sinister Strikes

Then you have your defensives like Natural Durability, Physical Enhancement, Combat Stability, Combat Agility.

Honestly just get everything in Class tab except poo poo like ligament slice, shield block, tumble, acrobatics, purge poison. Don't bother with seized opportunity or assassinate. You'd be better off swarming on your SK.

If you're not already, work on your poison crafting. And ALWAYS be using atleast the buyable shissar poisons. They are cheap and they are a massive part of your dps. You can even make poisons that your sk can use

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 1, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

Try Kurn's Tower static zone. Or maybe a Gyrospyre/Fort Mech. Green to 100 is a pretty narrow range. Swarm zones that were good at 95 and dead at 100 are your best bet.

Pilsner posted:

Let me know what you think, and also ideas for articles. When I get it a bit more into shape (I will soon make it so that work in progress articles are not links in the menu) I'll try to spread the word of it on EQ forums and submit it to Google.

Looks like a good technical guide. If you want to use some of my posts or maybe have me expend some, lemme know.

In the hotzone page, it's using the old set of hotzones. Also the bonus ZEM in Permafrost is turned off when the Hardcore Heritage version is in place.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Thanks for the rogue advice, unfortunately it was just too dumb a move even for me. I'll never threebox, but two boxing something besides a bard/shaman/chanter/bst just seemed too insane. Made a Bard and will hopefully end up being able to switch to him for raiding since there's no chance of that with SK.

Worst case I can just use him as a buff box. Didn't end up costing me but 3 hours of PLing people to pay 1m plat in general chat for an RoF cd key and a krono.

Bard 1.5 ughhhh

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Have you tried Paw? I always use that for AA'ing up alts. Mobs hit for 700 max and there will be around 80-90% light blues, the rest green if I remember correctly.

The downside is that if you're powerful enough, you can clear it out too fast, and any competition in the zone makes it slow.

Paw is also great for non-swarmers, just walk from mob to mob, perhaps pull a couple or 10 at a time and utilize damage shield and riposte damage.

I should have mentioned I'm 100.

jetz0r posted:

Try Kurn's Tower static zone. Or maybe a Gyrospyre/Fort Mech. Green to 100 is a pretty narrow range. Swarm zones that were good at 95 and dead at 100 are your best bet.

I'll give one of those a shot, thanks. I can't wait until my bard is 100, so I can be a totally clueless level 100 bard that doesn't know his class!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pilsner posted:

Alright goons, I put my work-in-progress EQ website online. Many articles are blank, but there are several with some info I spent a lot of time putting together. It's basically my OP in a website form. I spent hours upon hours researching some of the stuff, which was a ton of fun in itself, such as digging up the entire EQ server history, making a complete zone level chart or researching what on earth stats really do. I will be slowly working on improving it.

http://www.zlizeq.com

That's a good site. Looking back on the history of some of the things gave me some ideas for articles. There's some really good stories about old guilds from 99-2001 era (Legions of Darkness on Innoruuk, Legacy of Steel, etc). I think it would be a cool idea to compile some of these stories and post them as articles. I also think articles about some of the original EQ developers could be interesting. Several stories when GM's go rogue (VP incident).

You might be able to get a lot of information from the guys at rerolled (moved from FoH) at http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?199-EQ-F2P-Returning-Players-amp-Current-Content and specifically this nostalgia thread http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?1905-Aradune-Returns-to-EQ-aka-the-EQ-Nostalgia-thread .

Regarding design, everything looks good. Personally I prefer #111 or #222 to #000 background color.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Next expansion, Call of the Forsaken. It's graphic had a chain and a scythe wrapped around it. That's Zebuxoruk's style, and you could say he was forsaken by the gods, but it could be coincidence. More details tomorrow.

Basics:
Player designed missions.
New race/class combinations (ogre monk please)
An old zone that we were teased with a long time ago that never made it in game is finally going to be in game! Hints: 5 stones. 1 unused. 11 years ago. Plane of Tranquility. It's the Plane of War!
No confirmation or denial of a level cap increase.
Mercenary gear. The basics for this has been in the EQ code for some time so we know it was going to show up eventually.

I wish they would add more races. Adding more classes is hard because of balance. Adding new races isn't really hard, it just takes resources, which Everquest understandably does not have much of. Animations, armor textures, their starting city, any lore. But practically every expansion could have had a new race added to it. Velious could have Coldain, Gates of Discord could have had Taelosians, Omens of War could have Dragorn.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 2, 2013

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Race changing to iksar druid on day 1 if it opens up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Race changing to iksar druid on day 1 if it opens up.

But you're so pretty and beautiful and gorgeous in game already.

e: Wow, the expansion has beta on the 14th and is launching in September. That's too soon. Have fun farming tier 4 for like, a couple months I guess, before its obsoleted.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 2, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
My characters are 52 now, and geared reasonably well (I hope).

Is anyone familiar with the deal interested in either directing we who are not or leading we who are not with Nag/Vox?

Curious what we'd need and the time investment. Also I make no promises we won't all die horribly once we get there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So glad I didn't break down and buy RoF x 5 last month.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

laceratedsky posted:

How useful is a Rogue nowadays? I've always wanted to play one high enough to actually raid with him. The whole not having to pick up spells every level is also pretty enticing.

I have no desire to box, or play on Test. Is it possible to level on my own with just one character to the point where I could do some casual raiding type stuff someday?

I played a rogue in a top 10 guild prior to RoF. It's along journey to get to a good spot, but it's a fun journey. You will hit some bumps in leveling, but you'll start doing decent damage at around 2k AAs and peak at around 6k now (I believe - I didn't touch this expansion). Spend your AAs wisely and you'll be fine. It shouldn't take too long to reach 2k AAs with the AA boost.

I've also found, surprisingly, most people don't know how to play a rogue efficiently. Rogues have tons of utility most people don't utilize. A good rogue is hard to find and if you enjoy the class you'll probably be a good rogue. Get invited to rogue serverwide channel, lot's of helpful people in there and it can help you network with other servers when you're ready to make the transition to raiding if you don't like what your server has to offer.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
My Inner Space account expired a few days ago and didn't get a chance to get back into this. I'm shooting for 59/65 so I can start AA grinding but where should I be for fast levels 51-59 (or 65)? The vikings in Gorukar Mesa I'm still doing at 51 but almars guide tells me to go to plane of justice and no, I'd rather not, where should I be heading? Veksar? I just wanna blow through these levels today so I can start my inevitable monthly+ AA grind.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Go to old world zones. Tank merc will carry you to 65 regardless, so shoot for the lowest hp/mob possible. I PL alts at that level range in Nadox, but someone else may have a better suggestion! As far as old-world as possible, try Sebilis or Griegs End. You honestly can most likely mow through Seb fast as hell

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

MrTheDevious posted:

Go to old world zones. Tank merc will carry you to 65 regardless, so shoot for the lowest hp/mob possible. I PL alts at that level range in Nadox, but someone else may have a better suggestion! As far as old-world as possible, try Sebilis or Griegs End. You honestly can most likely mow through Seb fast as hell

Sebilis ... I could probably remember every single camp and how to get there without looking at a map. I'll give seb a try. I'm reading that Acrylia Caverns is a really great place to grind AA at 59 but no one really talks about good spots for 51-59. Granted this is probably the 100th char I've leveled in EQ it is just over a period of 15 years so always assuming there is something better out there than what was available before.

Thanks for the advice.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

When the voting for new Race/Class combos begins, ya'll better vote for Wood Elf Shaman. :argh:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Gnome monk and high elf berzerker would be more fun.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Mormon Star Wars posted:

When the voting for new Race/Class combos begins, ya'll better vote for Wood Elf Shaman. :argh:

My shaman is already a wood elf thanks to his crown :)

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Meowbot posted:

Sebilis ... I could probably remember every single camp and how to get there without looking at a map. I'll give seb a try. I'm reading that Acrylia Caverns is a really great place to grind AA at 59 but no one really talks about good spots for 51-59. Granted this is probably the 100th char I've leveled in EQ it is just over a period of 15 years so always assuming there is something better out there than what was available before.

Thanks for the advice.

Acrylia is good if you're locking at 59, yes. Good money if you need it, wimpy mobs that a tank merc can handle 4-5 of at a time and enough mobs to keep you busy. Inner can probably only hold about 2-3 people with mercs though.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

This zone path for damage shield PLing that I got from a guildie worked out pretty well. You'll need a stock of Oil of Fenin Ro from the Ragefire merchant in SolB. Most of the mobs will use undead aggro, so be careful when popping off potion nukes. Other than that, standard DS PLing stuff. The zones are picked for places with good mob density and social aggro.

Pick up the ground spawn in Icefall Glacier - Shattered Krithgor Keystone (ground spawn near spell vendors: -2035, -1155), turn it in to Librarian Hemfar on the first floor of Crescent Reach. This gives a ton of exp, during double exp it shot me to level 15.

Undead area in CR. Couple pulls of everything.
Bixie area in Blightfire. Watch out for the huge named, it rampages which can kill the newb.
Acrylia Caverns. Can also get a pull in with the mines outside.
Crypt of Decay. I also did some Plane of Valor around here.

The last few levels to 70 still feel awkward, I was trying to do those in Direwind, and it didn't feel like enough. But once you get them to 70, you can group with a 100 and plow things for exp.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 4, 2013

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I just do Blightfire to 35ish, pull the entirety of the Hive, pull the entirety of Nadox, pull the entirety of CoDecay, and then usually do two pulls in PoFire and they're level 70. Probably take twice that or so on a live server of course, but it's an easy set of zones to pull en masse and I don't have to worry about other people around usually.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Flare's path is the exact one I take. I JUST finished a bst PL, so at least on Test, this is the result:

/testbuff to 25. One pull in that zone off of blightfire (Hive or whatever) got me to 43. One pull in Nadox got me to 52. Second half of Nadox got me 60 and 150AA. One pull in Fire got me 70 + another 200 AA or so. I thought the 60-70 haul was the most awkward for a while, too, but just go to Fire. Pull the whole yard/C2, sure it takes longer to DS them down, but once they die you're done with the DS PLing and then some. Even Fire DS kills don't honestly take that long anymore if you have mage DS and run a bard over since they only have 30k hp or so

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Haha wow that makes me feel crappy when I spent all day in Sebilis just to get a few levels and a handful of AA. A lot of the fun of EQ is getting there but it also sucks hearing how easy some people can do it. Is that just with druid and DS or how are you doing that with a higher level character?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I have a 100 druid and 100 SK to powerlevel with. One of them alone works fine up till the 60s before it slows down enough to want the other there. In the CoD/PoValor range it gets annoying trying to build up enough hate with a druid to keep mobs off the newbie.

No, legit characters do not get to kill every grimling in acrylia in one pull.

MrTheDevious posted:

One pull in Fire got me 70 + another 200 AA or so. I thought the 60-70 haul was the most awkward for a while, too, but just go to Fire. Pull the whole yard/C2, sure it takes longer to DS them down, but once they die you're done with the DS PLing and then some. Even Fire DS kills don't honestly take that long anymore if you have mage DS and run a bard over since they only have 30k hp or so

I've been skipping PoFire because it's contested and I'm using fire AEs from those potions. PoEarth is something i've tried, but it doesn't seem nearly as good for PLing.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I do it with my Shadowknight. He self buffs to 500ish DS, then stack on bard and mage and he's well over 1k DS per hit. Pull a whole zone at once, AE with the character being PLd, then let the zone die against your DS. Character being PLd gets full xp on a zone full of red cons. I would imagine the process is harder without an SK since it becomes rather difficult to keep AE aggro on full zones with mostly anyone else

I think that setup is pretty close to optimal unless druid DS stacks with mage/bard, which I can't test since my server has no druids. Either way, it's close enough that 95% of the time is spent running zone to zone or pulling huge laggy trains, so doesn't really matter. If you're on test, I can get you to 80/1kAA in a couple hours, but I don't recommend it really since there's no good reason to bypass content for the sake of being higher level unless you're PLing alts. I will if you want though!

^^ I make a secondary bard noob to group with every actual box I'm PLing just for the PBAE ease. Also, Fire isn't too contested on Test due to our stragglingass population, so works fine here :v:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 4, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Paw is also decent for DS PL'ing. 60-70 should be pretty good there, I did a few levels in the 60's using a Shaman.

Another thing I never got to test out but should work is the Ranger line of spells that puts a DoT on a mob, then puts a HUGE DS on the player the mob is attacking, for example Swarm of Hornets Rk. II. Anyone ever try that out? I imagine parking my Ranger with my PL'ee, then cast the DoT/DS thing on my character actually doing the DS PL'ing, which will be my Shaman. I lack a high level Mage or Druid, but do have a 95 Ranger. It'll just cost the XP of one mob in the pack.

Meowbot posted:

Haha wow that makes me feel crappy when I spent all day in Sebilis just to get a few levels and a handful of AA. A lot of the fun of EQ is getting there but it also sucks hearing how easy some people can do it. Is that just with druid and DS or how are you doing that with a higher level character?
Don't feel bad, it's more like a treat and reward for having levelled, geared and AA'd characters the hard way. It's fun being able to PL up a new char, but it's more of a game within the game to me, or a tool if I want to test out a character/class.

Edit: I also wrote a guide on DS PL'ing. Much credit to the goons in-game and on the forums:

http://www.zlizeq.com/Guides-Power_Levelling#2_Damage_Shield_Power_Levelling

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I think that setup is pretty close to optimal unless druid DS stacks with mage/bard, which I can't test since my server has no druids. Either way, it's close enough that 95% of the time is spent running zone to zone or pulling huge laggy trains, so doesn't really matter.

Druid DSes are roughly the same as mages DSes. But we get one of our limited hit ones on an additional spell, so we can cast it more often.

I try to pick zones that I can run to quickly for that reason. I'm only gonna do 1 or 2 pulls, I don't want to spend 15 minutes running over to Nadox, even though it is a fine zone to use. Completely cutting the PoP zones would be best, so I don't have to run through PoTranquility. That's why I like the TSS zones that I can port right to and pull a pile of griffons and golems to the druid ring. Or zones within one zone of a port spot.

I also don't have innate double exp from being on test or having a RAF account, so my PLs seem slower.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
The EQ Mobile App quest thing "Everquest Worlds" gives 500 Sony Cash and an experience potion. I did it fine on an ipad and iphone, not sure if you can wipe the app and do it again multiple times for one account (used ipad for my account and iphone for friend's)

To complete it requires scanning things (read: holding mobile device camera looking at pictures) on a "scavenger hunt" pictures needed are found here: http://imgur.com/a/mMJ06

And also it requires you to like/follow/share stuff on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Instagram is only needed for the XP potion part though.

In other news - up to level 70 with my group now, we've been doing Infected Paw for AAs and XP. Looking for a good new dungeon to go to next since one of our group hates outdoor zones. None of us really played past LDoN so we're stumped as to the new content or what older stuff would still be viable at that level. At the moment we're usually a Cleric, Druid, Enchanter and Mage with mercs or sometimes a necro too. A place with good stuff to charm would be a plus since I'm the enchanter and everything but the loot dropping nameds in Infected Paw is uncharmable.

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 4, 2013

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Meowbot posted:

I use my bard and a healer merc. Healer merc heals me and takes aggro, and they all beat themselves to death on my 500ish DS. If I'm in a hurry I'll stack a druid or mage DS on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Since auto follow seems to just create a total mess when multiboxing with isboxer what is the best way to navigate characters through areas with tight corridors like in the jails of Sebilis? I've tried to use repeater to move them but then everyone ends up going the wrong angle - is there a good way to "nudge" them through these spots without having to switch windows/drowning?