Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

CommissarMega posted:

Oh for God's sake :suicide: I don't think leetspeak- sorry, 13375p34k- was ever popular or cool, even within the nerdy circles it was supposed to represent.

I swear Ghostwriter didn't sound nearly as painful when I watched it as a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I swear Ghostwriter didn't sound nearly as painful when I watched it as a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlj_GeKniA

So are you saying you didn't jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?

That interview with Julie was just precious. Implying that your favorite OS is iTunes is just awesome. I hope she continues working with start ups like this and they keep failing and she still gives interviews.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Odd that the OHOHO is none of these things.

Oh, there's definitely something simple about it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So whatever happened to Visorman after the failed Kickstarter?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It seems like Visorman lost the good fight. There hasn't been a recent blip about it ever since he released some 2 map demo after the KS failed or whenever.

It seems Polygon Gaming is back to RPG Maker according to his twitter account https://twitter.com/PolygonGaming_/

Didn't this guy have some tens of thousands of followers during his Visorman hype days?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Polygon Gaming ‏@PolygonGaming_ 6 Jul
@juhrman FINALLY got a card though the door for OUYA; seems I have to pay £14.25! I am outraged, for one I am a student and can't afford it.

@juhrman For two it would have been cheaper to wait for retail! This item should be marked as a gift; why I should pay further for it?

@juhrman This service is terrible. I have been slaving away the past 7 months DEVELOPING for this console, and this is the treatment I get?

Julie Uhrman ‏@juhrman 6 Jul
@PolygonGaming_ we will refund this amount.

@juhrman Thank you, that's good to hear. I assume you know where you're refunding to, or do you need my details/paypal?

Polygon Gaming ‏@PolygonGaming_ 9 Jul
@juhrman Any idea when this refund is coming through?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

averox posted:

It seems like Visorman lost the good fight. There hasn't been a recent blip about it ever since he released some 2 map demo after the KS failed or whenever.

It seems Polygon Gaming is back to RPG Maker according to his twitter account https://twitter.com/PolygonGaming_/

Didn't this guy have some tens of thousands of followers during his Visorman hype days?

GOTY 2013 2014 2015 forget it, it's never coming out

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

GOTY 2013 2014 2015 forget it, it's never coming out

From the death of the visorphoenix, a new bird flies~

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dex posted:

@juhrman FINALLY got a card though the door for OUYA; seems I have to pay £14.25! I am outraged, for one I am a student and can't afford it.

@juhrman For two it would have been cheaper to wait for retail! This item should be marked as a gift; why I should pay further for it?

@juhrman This service is terrible. I have been slaving away the past 7 months DEVELOPING for this console, and this is the treatment I get?

Julie Uhrman ‏@juhrman 6 Jul
@PolygonGaming_ we will refund this amount.

@juhrman Thank you, that's good to hear. I assume you know where you're refunding to, or do you need my details/paypal?

Polygon Gaming ‏@PolygonGaming_ 9 Jul
@juhrman Any idea when this refund is coming through?

I have to pay taxes on an international purchase? I AM SHOCKED! And you did not break the law to accomodate me? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

Seriously it's still amazing how much Ouya managed to gently caress up their distribution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PkerUNO posted:

Julie's given some pretty amazing answers on this interview on Engadget, with not even the slightest hint of irony.
The iTunes thing is bad, but the whole interview is massively cringeworthy.

quote:

What gadget do you depend on most?
Cellphone, but I don't consider it a gadget -- it's a necessity, like air and water!
The cellphone is the gadget I depend upon most... but its not a gadget. She's trying so hard to make some cool line, but she's interviewing with Engadget. Comeon. Its kinda an insult to say "oh but this isn't just some gadget its a necessity"

quote:

Which company does the most to push the industry?
Apple. They taught us to think different.
:doh: Spoken like the marketing robot that you are, Julie.

quote:

What are your favorite gadget names?
Love the Flip camera. Lytro, Nest, both super descriptive, but of course my favorite
is OUYA.
:psyduck: How is Lytro or Nest descriptive?!?

quote:

What are your least favorite?
Names I can't pronounce or spell.
:shepface:

quote:

If you could change one thing about your phone what would it be?
Pulling info out of apps - no clicks.
What does this even mean? :confused:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I think she wants to be able to somehow hover over an app, like you hover over pictures and can sometimes see an explanation/description. ...I guess.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I have to pay taxes on an international purchase? I AM SHOCKED! And you did not break the law to accomodate me? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?
As I recall, it's not "taxes", it's a customs charge which the company can (and customarily does) pay but OUYA chose not to.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Morby posted:

I think she wants to be able to somehow hover over an app, like you hover over pictures and can sometimes see an explanation/description. ...I guess.

Like a widget perhaps? Has she even used the platform she's developing on?

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

averox posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't really count when close to the totality of them are bots.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
The Brutal Carnage creators have found someone new to blame.

82 Productions LLC posted:

We are constantly being harassed and KICKSTARTER has done nothing but support these bullies who have a record of attacking other projects. Our request were ignored by KICKSTARTER in till we fought back. Then they censored our comment which was made in self defense. KICKSTARTER has done nothing to remove there comments or block these backers although they claim they are watching this project. In fact, our comments were removed because we reveled to much information about a $1.00 backer who as admitted he backed this project just to slander it. This proves who's side KICKSTARTER is really on.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

At least they aren't so busy blaming INTERNET BULLIES that they still took the time to reply back to me yet again.

I will lie awake every moment of the morning that I am not a "creator". My only regret is how I have a terrible and UNORIGINAL name. :allears:

randombattle fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Ran into a display for these for the first time. I don't know if sticking tiny little boxes in the middle of regular console boxes is a normal thing but it had me laughing. It's like the merchandise equivalent of underbrush.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Haha, "Your opinion that we are idiots is not a unique one!!! So...gently caress..."

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I felt like loving with them a little bit.

It should be noted I tweeted them about two weeks ago and told them they were poo poo with the same name, so the fact that they came back groveling is pretty amusing.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't really count when close to the totality of them are bots.

I was alluding to the fact that Polygon Gaming is supposed to be some sort of starving student but he can hire twitter bots to make himself look big. Then again he thought Visorman would save gaming or something.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Xenocidebot posted:

Ran into a display for these for the first time. I don't know if sticking tiny little boxes in the middle of regular console boxes is a normal thing but it had me laughing. It's like the merchandise equivalent of underbrush.

Does the price tag actually say 49.99?

Edit: Ah, didn't notice it was the controller

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Zaphod42 posted:

What does this even mean? :confused:

You have to look at the whole thing, that answer refers back to her answer to an earlier question.

quote:

What traits do you most deplore in a smartphone?
That I have to click into an app to get information. I think we could be smarter about push notifications and "widgets."

If you could change one thing about your phone what would it be?
Pulling info out of apps - no clicks.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
It still comes off as buzz-word salad with the added context.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ryen Deckard posted:

It should be noted I tweeted them about two weeks ago and told them they were poo poo with the same name, so the fact that they came back groveling is pretty amusing.

They didn't even come back groveling, they completely missed the point of what you said. "We're sorry these horrible people changed your mind on our Kickstarter." They do not understand the difference between being an idiot on a forum and being the idiot running a Kickstarter.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

sleepwalkers posted:

They didn't even come back groveling, they completely missed the point of what you said. "We're sorry these horrible people changed your mind on our Kickstarter." They do not understand the difference between being an idiot on a forum and being the idiot running a Kickstarter.

Can they see how much you backed for? Cause that makes me real tempted to back for $1000 and say the same things. Its not like they'll ever reach their goal and they'd have to put up with the abuse else they lose that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CaptainCaveman posted:

You have to look at the whole thing, that answer refers back to her answer to an earlier question.

That means she is super dumb, because there's a widget to display just about anything you want.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah but what do you have to do to set up widgets? Click something! I don't have time for that, I'm a busy executive.

BonesMcGuire
Jun 18, 2004

SO WHAT THE FUCK
That Engadget interview is really, really bad. Twenty softball questions with no follow-ups and many specific opportunities to talk about the ways in which her open-source Android console will change the world, and the company she praises the most is...Apple? Not Ouya Inc., not Google, but Apple, whose tight-fisted business practices are a huge part of the landscape the Ouya is supposed to rebel against? She pauses a moment to praise the company who could, if it wanted to, put her entire organization out of business by releasing a competing product? Her comment about widgets makes it fairly clear she doesn't even use an Android phone...

Now this is either Uhrman being scandalously stupid (always a possibility), or she's doing what every other CEO of a tech start-up wants to do: sell the company for scrap while parlaying her experience as CEO into a position with another firm. I have a feeling it's just a question of "when" instead of "if"...I just hope r/ouya is still around when Ouya, Inc. follows in the footsteps of Direct2Drive. :getin:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The question is, who would want to buy out Ouya, a product that is by all accounts only good at hemorrhaging money?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

raditts posted:

The question is, who would want to buy out Ouya, a product that is by all accounts only good at hemorrhaging money?

Maybe someone would buy them for their amazing designs. The Ouya controller would fit right alongside Madcatz existing catalog.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sankis posted:

Maybe someone would buy them for their amazing designs. The Ouya controller would fit right alongside Madcatz existing catalog.

MadCatz turned themselves around for a while, they had the contract for the Rock Band controllers until that hype train derailed.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're right, that was unfair to Madcatz. The Ouya controller is far worse than anything they've ever made.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
PDP's insistence on putting LED's into everything they make is about as dated and out of touch as Ouya's marketing so they'd make a good fit.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Athenry posted:

Can they see how much you backed for? Cause that makes me real tempted to back for $1000 and say the same things. Its not like they'll ever reach their goal and they'd have to put up with the abuse else they lose that.

Then you risk them using a proxy to push themselves past the goal to take your money.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

Julie posted:

Beautiful, powerful, impactful, simple and with long battery life.

My ideal device would be one that would erase marketing-speak from the planet forever. How can anyone take an answer like that seriously? Only one of those things is an actual implementable thing!

It's great that as an "idea guy" Julie gets to deal in abstractions like this but designers actually have to make products for the real world, and I don't think there is a super duper impact chip to slot into the Tegra 3. It seems like she really believes their bullshit aspirational marketing doublespeak, which would actually explain a great deal.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BanjoFish posted:

My ideal device would be one that would erase marketing-speak from the planet forever. How can anyone take an answer like that seriously? Only one of those things is an actual implementable thing!

It's great that as an "idea guy" Julie gets to deal in abstractions like this but designers actually have to make products for the real world, and I don't think there is a super duper impact chip to slot into the Tegra 3. It seems like she really believes their bullshit aspirational marketing doublespeak, which would actually explain a great deal.

She's a marketing person who hasn't demonstrated a huge understanding of the technical side of things, so she defaults to buzzwords like "impactful". I mean, it's not hard to say "a nice, 10" tablet that has some really great home automation software" or something, but it's even less difficult to say "beautiful," "impactful," and "simple" instead of anything meaningful.
She's the perfect CEO for your Kickstarter: All of the marketing experience and flash to know how to take your money, but none of the experience to do anything with it, leaving a wake of potentially deluded and absolutely disappointed "backers" in her wake.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
God drat Ouya. I've been trying to avoid Ouya news and whatever and just check this thread out for some laughs from time-time but some person (Ouya employee? One of their idiotic fanboys?) posted this over at the Hammerwatch Beta thread.

quote:

Hiya guys! Just registered.

I'm a big fan of the game and I'd like to make a suggestion for the developers (who doesn't?)

I feel like this game would be a PERFECT match to be ported onto the newly released OUYA console. I've had mine for a few weeks and the console is definitely THE couch playing multiplayer console to have. I can't count the hours me and my buddies have spent in TowerFall, Hidden in Plain Sight, RED and other brilliant couch multiplayer games.

Here's the deal, there's a lack of games exactly like yours on the console at the moment. If you would shift priorities to port the game ASAP you would definitely gain immeasurable ATTENTION from the internet community when the game would be released. You can contact TowerFall's dev Matt Thorson and ask him for further details. His game is on the OUYA for $15 (among the most expensive games on the console, hasn't stopped it though) and has been the most popular game there to date (over 2000 copies sold in about a month, the console has been having problems meeting demand and the playerbase is expanding rapidly).

TowerFall is local multiplayer only, with a lot less content and gamemodes than Hammerwatch yet TowerFall has been ALL over the internet in articles and online communities and I'd like to see your game gain the same traction. I've seen tons of interviews and articles all praising his game and I have no doubt your game would gain the same if not more attention as his.

I'm completely serious when I say if this game were to be released there it would with 95% certainty be THE killer app on the console and gain tons of attention and sales as well, of course. There is a demand and YOUR game can supply! Seriously, on the PC your game is one in an ocean of indies but on the newly released OUYA you'd be a shining beacon of brilliance. Personally, I'd make a port a no. 1 priority just for the media and social attention your game would definitely get.

Please consider this both from a business and marketing standpoint. Hopefully porting the game isn't a huge task, it's supposedly a snap on Unity developed games. I've also read from developers that Team OUYA are hugely helpful and you'd probably have no problem making somesort of business del with them, or just be in contact them for help and other things. I have no doubt that this game would KILL on the OUYA, and who doesn't want to play a game like this on the couch with 3 of your buddies? Just like back in the Gauntlet days.

Biggest problems would be the level editor and multiplayer since OUYA haven't added a framework there for online play but I'm pretty sure developers can add their own.

I've already preordered the game but I'd buy it again on the OUYA in a heartbeat just for the controller and TV experience and local multiplayer goodyness.

I feel like I'm talking like a marketer but I assure you I'm just a fan who saw the Yogscast videos and when I got the OUYA I was sad to see a lack of longer RPG type, dungeon crawler games and made a (in my opinion) brilliant connection.

Hopefully you'll consider this seriously. I know it must be an incredibly busy time for you so close to release now.

Thank you!

Bolding mine, holy poo poo. Dude must be an employee right, no actual fan would try this hard would they?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think it's equally likely that it's a overly zealous fan trying to prop up a product they've attached part of their identity to or an employee.

Actually do you mean a thread on these forums? If they JUST registered to post that then probably an employee.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

epitasis posted:

Actually do you mean a thread on these forums? If they JUST registered to post that then probably an employee.

Did Dreamzle get a new job?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

dahkren posted:

God drat Ouya. I've been trying to avoid Ouya news and whatever and just check this thread out for some laughs from time-time but some person (Ouya employee? One of their idiotic fanboys?) posted this over at the Hammerwatch Beta thread.

Bolding mine, holy poo poo. Dude must be an employee right, no actual fan would try this hard would they?

Other way around - only a fanboy would try that hard.

• Locked thread