Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I tried all three control schemes, and they all have their own little advantages and compromises, so having them all actually seems like a sharp move.

It's worth noting that the game regularly encourages you to keep the Gamepad somewhere visible even if you're using a different controller, so I don't think it's accurate at all to say the game is a concession that it's not useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a Pikmin 3 thread anywhere?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Anyone saying the gamepad is optional for Pikmin 3 hasn't played the part leading up to the final boss. You're going to need that map to split the characters up and use the "go here" command to move them around independently.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a Pikmin 3 thread anywhere?

There's a general series megathread right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559557

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So you know how it feels like every day, Nintendo is getting some indie game but we don't see it?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/31/nintendos-indie-guy-on-opening-the-gates-for-developers/

quote:

Nintendo Business Development Manager Dan Adelman expects 20 to 30 new indie games to hit Wii U by the holidays, if development goes smoothly for projects he has on the line now.

Good article too.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Target has AssCreed 3 on sale for $20 this week, is it worth picking up this version if I haven't played it at all yet?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

marauderthirty posted:

Target has AssCreed 3 on sale for $20 this week, is it worth picking up this version if I haven't played it at all yet?

NO version of AC3 is worth 20 dollars. Just avoid it altogether and save yourself for Black Flag.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Picked up a basic model for £149 in preparation of The Wonderful 101, I was going to pass on it originally but after reading PlatinumGames' blog the game looks too fun to pass up.

I'm so weak :negative:

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Anyone saying the gamepad is optional for Pikmin 3 hasn't played the part leading up to the final boss. You're going to need that map to split the characters up and use the "go here" command to move them around independently.

After playing for 3 hours I can't imagine not having the gamepad. The multitasking is just so much easier with it. However for boss fights the wiimote and nunchuck is definitely a little bit better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

charismaslover posted:

Picked up a basic model for £149 in preparation of The Wonderful 101, I was going to pass on it originally but after reading PlatinumGames' blog the game looks too fun to pass up.

I'm so weak :negative:

Speaking of it this was posted on the Wii U UK facebook page :

quote:

This young member of the Wonderful 100, otherwise known as Jean-Sébastien Renault, has a devastating Unite Morph ability in his precious firearm, which uses the heroes as ammunition to pepper the GEATHJERK!

:france:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I picked up Cloudberry Kingdom, and I guess the main thing I have to say about it is: it is nowhere near as stupid as it looks. It's actually quite fun. Every trailer looks like complete bullshit, but it is not really that hard. It's one of those games where you do really good I'd you just relax and get in a rhythm.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A few hours in and Pikmin 3 has already justified the Wii U purchase. This game is awesome.

And yeah the gamepad is absolutely vital for mutiple captain control, even when not using it as your primary control method. It's kinda neat playing with the wiimote with the gamepad in my lap.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

marauderthirty posted:

I can't speak for the quality of the game itself but the Wii U version is not significantly different than the other consoles on a technical level.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This might be a really dumb question but is there a way to navigate the OS on the TV instead of looking at the controller?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's an icon you can click somewhere on the touchscreen to swap it, I think. Also with a wiimote you can point at an icon on the TV to switch it. I think the - button will do it too.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Nuts and Gum posted:

This might be a really dumb question but is there a way to navigate the OS on the TV instead of looking at the controller?
Push X or hit the icon in upper right of gamepad OR if you have a pro controller you can move the analog stick to the icon in the bottom right corner of the TV screen(Wiimote works too)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Out of curiosity, does Pikmin 3 use the dual analog control scheme from the original where you're directing your Pikmin with the right stick, or are you using the right stick to control a cursor?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Neither. Right stick is camera, C-Sticking has (sadly) been replaced with the ability to lock onto things and send your whole Pikmin army at it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More Wonderful 101 blog entries:

Update #6: The Invasion Begins!
Update #7: The Secret of the CENTINEL-Suits

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

quote:

Use the Wonder-Liner to send a bunch of your teammates into the toilet all at once. Don’t worry about running out of paper, because YOU’RE A SUPERHERO.

Day 1 purchase.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

As if I wasn't sold on this game already. Wow.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Uh oh it has drawing circles around dead foliage to make it bloom.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The only Wii U games I'm interested in are Zombie U, W101, Bayonetta and X. Would I be fine if I found a basic Wii U or would I need the full package?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Renoistic posted:

The only Wii U games I'm interested in are Zombie U, W101, Bayonetta and X. Would I be fine if I found a basic Wii U or would I need the full package?

The basic is fine for playing any physical Wii U or Wii disc. See the top of the first post for a comparison between the packages.

I've been developing this rant with each Virtual Console survey that I do, for the question "What do you think of the Virtual Console service?". Anyone can feel free to use this.

quote:

Well it's pretty awful. It's the only platform where one would normally be expected to pay 5 dollars for a 30 year old game such as Punch Out, it lacks any games beyond the year 2000, it forces users to buy the same same again if they want to play it on their handheld (Sony has been offering this for free for the last 4 years), the additions to the library are shockingly glacial, there are rarely any sales or price cuts, the addition of the basic features of button remapping and save states (with the small bonus of Off TV Play) should be free when they attract a fee for every single game (compare to the PSVita which adds features to previously owned games for free), and it does nothing to motivate users to keep checking the eShop. And the selection is far too small compared to the original libraries. Rare's Donkey Kong platforming games for SNES, GB and N64 are too prolific to remain absent from the eShop. Star Fox and the SNES version of Yoshi's Island are also glaringly absent.

The only positive thing I can say is the faithfulness of the emulation, which replicates the original experience very well.

Being able to purchase Gamecube and Wii games from the eShop would be a huge enticement for me. Something else I would like to see in the Virtual Console is the inclusion of an image of the original box art with the game download, the retro experience is incomplete without it, and using the title screen as an icon is unattractive. I also would appreciate seeing a 3D rendering of the original console complete with the cartridge, instead of a still image, when starting up the game. I feel that with the power of the nostalgia for Nintendo’s rich back catalogue, the Virtual Console could provide a unique appeal for the Wii U if given the proper effort.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Renoistic posted:

The advantages of Deluxe are a (slightly) bigger hard drive, Nintendoland, and a few stands. The 8 vs 32 GB hard drive is a bit of a seller, but you can use an external drive, so not a big feature if you have one available. Also, buying digital Nintendo stuff is tied to a system rather than your profile, so physical copies might be preferred.

Many retailers are offering discounts or bundle deals so shop around. I picked up a deluxe because it came with two additional games which I flipped for Monster Hunter and a wiimote the next day. The basic model might also be hard to find retail in some areas, but I'm sure you can get them used.

For the VC, the most nostalgic presentation for me would be to replace the start up screen with an animated Mii blowing a cartridge.

King Chicken fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 5, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

King Chicken posted:

Also, buying digital Nintendo stuff is tied to a system rather than your profile, so physical copies might be preferred.

This isn't strictly true; the purchases are registered on an account, it's just that the account is tied to one system at a time. If something happened to your console you wouldn't lose your purchases.

With the Deluxe there's also a promotion where you get $5 of eshop credit back for every $50 that you spend until the end of next year.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone tried to crack open a WiiU and increase the storage? I assume it's not just a normal 2.5" hard drive.

Getting all of someone's eShop purchases with the system is a huge incentive to buy used.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Heran Bago posted:

Has anyone tried to crack open a WiiU and increase the storage? I assume it's not just a normal 2.5" hard drive.

At 8/32GB, what makes you think it would be a hard drive at all? (It's flash memory.)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

At 8/32GB, what makes you think it would be a hard drive at all? (It's flash memory.)

I assumed it was flash memory like the Wii. People itt keep saying hard drive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heran Bago posted:

Getting all of someone's eShop purchases with the system is a huge incentive to buy used.

Why would anyone do this when you can just attach a USB hard drive to it to boost storage?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

whaley posted:

Uh oh it has drawing circles around dead foliage to make it bloom.

You better not be implying bad things about Okami :toughguy:.

I was wondering how the "temporary teammate" thing worked. Give Platinum's reputation for hard modes, I'm mildly terrified about what getting every hero will require...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Despite what I said earlier I am still considering getting Wonderful 101. However there is one really important factor. Using the touch screen to draw patterns seems integral to the gameplay. Does this mean no off screen play?

The game looks like it is really busy, probably with a lot of chaotic sound which really messes with my wife. I don't think I'll have much opportunity to play on the big TV in those circumstances.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Despite what I said earlier I am still considering getting Wonderful 101. However there is one really important factor. Using the touch screen to draw patterns seems integral to the gameplay. Does this mean no off screen play?

The game looks like it is really busy, probably with a lot of chaotic sound which really messes with my wife. I don't think I'll have much opportunity to play on the big TV in those circumstances.

You can also use the right thumbstick instead of the touchscreen to draw shapes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You better not be implying bad things about Okami :toughguy:.

You weren't even supposed to draw circles there. You had to cover it up with your ink. :ssh:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nintendo did say they intended to put Wii games up on the market at some point, right? Or am I just making things up in my head?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

njsykora posted:

Why would anyone do this when you can just attach a USB hard drive to it to boost storage?

So you don't have to?

Yeah it's pretty dumb. I remember Wii mods where they took out the disc drive and actually did fit a passport drive in there. Much better.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Strange Quark posted:

You weren't even supposed to draw circles there. You had to cover it up with your ink. :ssh:

Nawww are you sure? That was to fill in stuff like broken bridges and putting down foliage where there wasn't any, but I'm pretty sure on the dead trees and buds and stuff you had to draw a circle. If I played through Okami three times without realizing this I'm going to jump off a cliff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

whaley posted:

Nawww are you sure? That was to fill in stuff like broken bridges and putting down foliage where there wasn't any, but I'm pretty sure on the dead trees and buds and stuff you had to draw a circle. If I played through Okami three times without realizing this I'm going to jump off a cliff.

It didn't change the ink (which was pretty dumb), but you definitely had to "fill it in" for the mini cursed zones, as Issun told you.

For buds and trees? Yeah, just circles there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Heran Bago posted:

So you don't have to?

Yeah it's pretty dumb. I remember Wii mods where they took out the disc drive and actually did fit a passport drive in there. Much better.

Do you then attach a standalone disc drive via USB? How is that helpful to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Chronojam posted:

Do you then attach a standalone disc drive via USB? How is that helpful to do?

Modded Wiis can play ISOs from a hard drive so I guess they went all out piracy.

• Locked thread