Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In case your suspension bursts into flames. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Those of you who liked the Singer and want more, he's another British guy talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You Am I posted:

I meant the front firewall

Why would you need a front firewall in a mid engine car?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Those of you who liked the Singer and want more, he's another British guy talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJQ4hQSusjE

I really think they should replace Hammond with Chris Harris, he's miles better and the generational gap comedy between Clarkson&May vs Hammond thats a bit tired now would be rejuvenated (Jeremy wouldn't have to ask the audience what Spotify is)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

Why would you need a front firewall in a mid engine car?

Where's the gas tank in a mid-engined car?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mister Kingdom posted:

For proper weight distribution and center of gravity, under the seats.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

The AW11 MR2 has a long thing one that goes under the center console between the seats. Roughly 12" tall, 8" wide, and 40" long

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Coming from PYF:

Devyl posted:

Top Gear!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It really is amazing how naturally the Stig glommed onto the concept of having an extra set of wheels and weight connected to the back end of the car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It really is amazing how naturally the Stig glommed onto the concept of having an extra set of wheels and weight connected to the back end of the car.

Not really, they drive like that all the time on his home planet. It's a handicap to make them faster when it's removed, like the water cup in Initial D.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

echomadman posted:

I really think they should replace Hammond with Chris Harris, he's miles better and the generational gap comedy between Clarkson&May vs Hammond thats a bit tired now would be rejuvenated (Jeremy wouldn't have to ask the audience what Spotify is)

Couldn't disagree more. Top Gear would ruin what makes Harris great, and dilute him down to lowest common denominator light entertainment.

To elaborate, Top Gear isn't a car programme these days, it's an entertainment programme which happens to feature cars. Once you accept that, it becomes a lot easier to understand.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mister Kingdom posted:

Lamborghini found out the hard way with the Miura it had to go in the middle. When it wasnt busy spraying gas onto the exhaust manifold and exploding, the front mounted gas tank would become lighter as it got empty lifting the front to a point where steering turned into a mere suggestion rather than a command.

I also kind of got mad at James for not going into the crazy detail that the Singer has to offer and explaining why it cost so much aside from the man hours. Such as every little fitting and linkage plug and wire was completely professional race grade. (IE the 30,000 dollar wiring harness)

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Lamborghini found out the hard way with the Miura it had to go in the middle. When it wasnt busy spraying gas onto the exhaust manifold and exploding, the front mounted gas tank would become lighter as it got empty lifting the front to a point where steering turned into a mere suggestion rather than a command.

I also kind of got mad at James for not going into the crazy detail that the Singer has to offer and explaining why it cost so much aside from the man hours. Such as every little fitting and linkage plug and wire was completely professional race grade. (IE the 30,000 dollar wiring harness)

if he had, Clarkson would have forcibly cut him off for being a boring anorak.
Besides, a $30k wiring harness isn't going to be $30k in parts, it's going to cost that much because you have to pay an engineer to design it and a professional builder/installer to manually assemble it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If you want to watch 20 minutes about why Singers are so cool, you're not Top Gear's target audience. Luckily for you, there's Chris Harris on Drive and he did just that in January. It's even been linked in this thread already.

Top Gear is light entertainment that features cars. If you want car nerdery, you have to accept you need to go look somewhere else.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love Hammond. He feels like he is my personal surrogate to the world of automotive enthusiasm. While he is a secret american, I am a american and I love him for it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I'm going to let you into a little secret: Caravans have brakes. They work with a linkage to a part of the towbar that compresses under braking loads. (The black bit just ahead of the A-frame)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sincx posted:

I think both the caravan losing its wheel and the caravan tipping over are staged.

You can see the right wheel of the lost-wheel caravan wobble the entire run; it's clearly been loosened ahead of time.

For the caravan that tipped over, you can see smoke coming from the left wheel; they probably locked up its brakes ahead of time to make it unbalanced.

He was braking for the corner, you can see the brakes on the caravan lock as he slows to make the turn.

Also the wheel gets loose after the first couple corners because what they're doing is so far outside the boundary of what a caravan and its wheels have to go through that it just gets completely hosed right away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Starting with a knackered unmaintained £500 caravan wouldn't help either.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

sincx posted:

I think both the caravan losing its wheel and the caravan tipping over are staged.

You can see the right wheel of the lost-wheel caravan wobble the entire run; it's clearly been loosened ahead of time.

For the caravan that tipped over, you can see smoke coming from the left wheel; they probably locked up its brakes ahead of time to make it unbalanced.

This doesn't make it any less funny.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hopterque posted:

He was braking for the corner, you can see the brakes on the caravan lock as he slows to make the turn.

Also the wheel gets loose after the first couple corners because what they're doing is so far outside the boundary of what a caravan and its wheels have to go through that it just gets completely hosed right away.

You'd maybe rather watch a boring car drive a caravan around a track on all 6 wheels in 2:10 seconds....twice?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Jeremy posted a work update on twitter yesterday, I recognize the SLS which is likely the black edition. The Ferrari seems like it is an F12?

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/362902621738131456/photo/1

His previous update mentioned they were in Venice. Would this be for next series or maybe a one off special?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Slo-Tek posted:

You'd maybe rather watch a boring car drive a caravan around a track on all 6 wheels in 2:10 seconds....twice?

What? I was trying to explain to the dude who was crying "Staged!" why maybe it wasn't that staged?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
They also staged the j-turn because the Tiguan couldn't do it with the DSG and stability control. And they staged the first hovervan because it couldn't hover and they staged the 2nd hovervan because it had the drivetrain removed and couldn't drive out of the water on it's own. Also they staged that pass on the Bolivian death road and they staged James' airship disaster and--

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Preoptopus posted:

Pardon, but that doesn't really make sense. Why would moving the fuel tank to the middle of the car help move the CG forward?

Most Lamborghinis and Ferraris I've seen have had the fuel tank in the middle, but Porsche put the tank in the front.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

grover posted:

Pardon, but that doesn't really make sense. Why would moving the fuel tank to the middle of the car help move the CG forward?

Most Lamborghinis and Ferraris I've seen have had the fuel tank in the middle, but Porsche put the tank in the front.
It's not about moving the CG forward, it's about keeping the CG the same when the tank is empty or full. CG for a sports car is like the foundation of a house, you want it to be on solid ground and not slopping around in a bog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vitamin J posted:

They also staged the j-turn because the Tiguan couldn't do it with the DSG and stability control. And they staged the first hovervan because it couldn't hover and they staged the 2nd hovervan because it had the drivetrain removed and couldn't drive out of the water on it's own. Also they staged that pass on the Bolivian death road and they staged James' airship disaster and--

Yeah, the "pass" is hilarious. It's just a road straight up a volcano. It doesn't go anywhere else. They cut the trip short right at the final switchback, and carefully angled the camera back downhill.

It was still badass though, and I don't doubt they were in real distress.

E: Wait, I was thinking of the wrong "pass". You meant the narrow overtake on the crumbling road in the rain, where Clarkson was coming back downhill for some reason and the vehicle he was passing was a Lexus SUV you'd never in a million years see a local there driving. :downs:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 4, 2013

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Bloody, bloody good one tonight.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vindolanda posted:

Bloody, bloody good one tonight.

Yup the ending had me tear up a bit. All around good episode this series was a little hit and miss but they killed it tonight.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Clarkson was right to hype those last 13 minutes on twitter. drat.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Moments like this where the guys show genuine fervor and pride for their profession and the automotive world is when this show really shines. They could have made an entire episode out of the final segment and I'd have been happy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that last segment was fantastic. Even as a pure blooded American, I couldn't help but feel proud for the brits. Always sad to see the end of another season though. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a nice antidote to the downer emotional-blackmail showpieces they've gotten into the habit of doing in the last few seasons (the one where they took classic British roadsters to their old abandoned factories, the funereal and nearly wordless Aston Martin V12 Vantage review, etc).

It's in the same chest-puffing vein as the tribute to the E-Type on Beachy Head, but less tongue-in-cheek. Good to see they've got it in 'em to be both sincere and upbeat.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Apparently BBC2 had some special about the German auto industry right after Top Gear.

Great show tonight, want to hear more F-Type Jag.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
FIRE SYSTEM PRESSURE OK

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

:britain:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder about that last shot. Why are three lawnmowers placed right up front, behind only a P1?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I was agape during that whole segment. Honestly though, wouldn't it be amazingly :smug: to say, "Yeah, I got undertaken today by an F1 car on the way home from the shops"?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mad.radhu posted:

I wonder about that last shot. Why are three lawnmowers placed right up front, behind only a P1?

Just another blatant example of the powerful lawnmower lobby muscling the government funded TV my brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I liked the segment even though they were a bit fast and loose with what is homegrown and what isn't, but what I think is truly special about Britain is not what they do with their hands, but that they give a drat about cars. Being a source of talent and homebase for so many racing teams says a lot, as does the fact that even though the money isn't necessarily coming from inside the country, they still have a lot of talented designers putting out unique product. I would disagree with Clarkson and say that Britain is largely a bank, and that the car industry is no longer master of its own destiny, but it doesn't matter. This is the society that figured out the sports car and has cultivated some of the most original brands of the past 100 years. Ownership doesn't matter, assembly doesn't matter - influence and identity matter, and Britain still has significant amounts of both in design and motorsport.