Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

RizieN posted:

Can any of you teach me how to talk to the person you're photographing? Every time I try to get my wife to do some sexy poses and stuff she doesn't quite get what I'm saying, but I know what I want to see because I've seen it in other photos before, maybe I need to be more abstract... unless I'm being too abstract... I don't know. Also I had to take some head shots at work and that was kind of hard, the employees were all "ok get rid of my extra chin and whiten my teeth" and couldn't smile to save their lives, and I managed to get a few by saying something stupid as hell and getting them to laugh naturally, but still it was awkward the whole time.

How do you guys handle it?

Just be a real person and if you're giving off a relaxed vibe chances are they will be relaxed too unless there's something wrong with them.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Zach Arias has a good way to get people to open up and relax while he's fixing lights, etc. He asks them what's on their bucket list. It's a perfect way to get to know someone and it's not a simple yes/no question, so it's a good conversation starter.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

So I took a pretty girl to a field during golden hour.

kimmy-30 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-10 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-45 by AceClown79, on Flickr

kimmy-42 by AceClown79, on Flickr

There is a few more on my flickr there, how did I do?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

TheAngryDrunk posted:

As far as giving direction, using hand motions helps.

"Turn your head this way" *turn hand*

is better than

"Turn your head to the left"

As far as just getting people to relax, having a few one-liners ready to go can help. But just being relaxed yourself helps. Trying to force things can make everyone uncomfortable.

I was shooting a student for work the other day and I literally turned and pointed in the direction I wanted them to face, and they still faced the wrong direction :negative:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

AceClown posted:

I don't know if she's not a smiler, but she looks kind of uncomfortable/board, as she's half smiling half grimacing to me. I could be well off the mark though.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Spedman posted:

I don't know if she's not a smiler, but she looks kind of uncomfortable/board, as she's half smiling half grimacing to me. I could be well off the mark though.
That's what most people thing "modeling" is.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Spedman posted:

It's strange, she goes instantly from serious face to full on teeth grin in a split second, and it's not a great look to be fair, this is one of the few I got of her actually smiling.

kimmy-44 by AceClown79, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I had another shoot tonight. I think I got some good shots. I've only processed a couple so far.

azia1 by philip painter, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

AceClown posted:

The crops here all seem really tight. Might be nice to get a bit more context in there.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

azia2 by philip painter, on Flickr

azia3 by philip painter, on Flickr

irene1 by philip painter, on Flickr

irene2 by philip painter, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

smallmouth posted:

azia2 by philip painter, on Flickr

azia3 by philip painter, on Flickr

irene1 by philip painter, on Flickr

irene2 by philip painter, on Flickr

I really like the first 2. The last 2 look a little forced model-y to me, but the first two are really nice.

I'm struggling on balancing skin tones in the shot below. She's very fair, and her skin has quite strong yellow undertones, and I'm not sure if it looks correct yet. I don't want to desat yellow too much because of all the green in the rest of the shot and without cooling it down too much, but I'm not sure how else to go about it. Does it look okay like this? I still feel like it's slightly off.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Skin still looks way too green to me. Also it might not hurt the feel of the photo to make it intentionally "too" warm.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Skin still looks way too green to me. Also it might not hurt the feel of the photo to make it intentionally "too" warm.

Yeah I don't mind warm, just not green. I still struggle with color balance. I'll try fighting the green.

edit: yeah, balanced the magenta and it looks way better. Thanks!

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 28, 2013

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

I realize that I of all people sound pretty silly bringing this up, but these look really underexposed to me. I looked on two monitors before quoting, too. The blacks are down in essentially zone 2 and there are no true highlights to speak of. Rules are meant to be broken, of course, but I'm not feeling a good reason for it in these. Care to comment?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

mclifford82 posted:

Also, you could have her mirror your movements. Turn to the right, have her mirror it and verify that she is doing it correctly. Then you can just show her.

"Obviously it'll look better when you do it but..." *adopt a very feminine pose*

For guys shooting girls (obviously).

Oh and show them the camera back and explain with that. It can help people see what you're capturing.

And make them feel important and that they're worth photographing. Don't be patronising with it.

There's no one answer, really: it's about reading people and practicing being able to connect with them quickly. Every single person will be different, so the skill is in finding what approach gets the best out of that person. The only definite answer is "practice a lot".

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I realize that I of all people sound pretty silly bringing this up, but these look really underexposed to me. I looked on two monitors before quoting, too. The blacks are down in essentially zone 2 and there are no true highlights to speak of. Rules are meant to be broken, of course, but I'm not feeling a good reason for it in these. Care to comment?

You just don't understand my art, man. :colbert:

You're right. I'm not so good at this and I crushed the blacks in post. It was overcast and early evening, so there weren't many true highlights to begin with. Should I meter to have them anyhow?

I guess one of the things I was going after was to have her clothes look flat in contrast to the roundness of the figure--like emerging from a shadow or something. Maybe it was a dumb idea and/or poorly executed.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2013

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RizieN posted:

Can any of you teach me how to talk to the person you're photographing? Every time I try to get my wife to do some sexy poses and stuff she doesn't quite get what I'm saying, but I know what I want to see because I've seen it in other photos before, maybe I need to be more abstract... unless I'm being too abstract... I don't know. Also I had to take some head shots at work and that was kind of hard, the employees were all "ok get rid of my extra chin and whiten my teeth" and couldn't smile to save their lives, and I managed to get a few by saying something stupid as hell and getting them to laugh naturally, but still it was awkward the whole time.

How do you guys handle it?

I usually use the "mirror me" method to give a general vibe (and I look goofy doing it which I think remove some tension if the person is stressed about the shoot). Once that's done I direct with my hands mostly for the hand tilt/direction and then just point out stuff I find out of place (open/relax your hands, put that hand on your hip (I find left/right can be confusing), etc)

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Zach Arias has a good way to get people to open up and relax while he's fixing lights, etc. He asks them what's on their bucket list. It's a perfect way to get to know someone and it's not a simple yes/no question, so it's a good conversation starter.

That's pretty cool, I'll use that!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

smallmouth posted:

You're right. I'm not so good at this and I crushed the blacks in post. It was overcast and early evening, so there weren't many true highlights to begin with. Should I meter to have them anyhow?

You should meter either towards the camera or towards the light source, depending on the difference, and how much of a difference there is. I don't want to tell you which one, because the answer isn't always the same. I recommend using an incident meter, but if you're using your reflected meter, be sure you know how to compensate for the result is gives you.
The point is, though, there's an ideal exposure to be found in every lighting situation, including low-contrast light. You might not get the full dynamic range you want in-camera, but you'll have the best shot at getting it right in the darkroom post.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

McMadCow posted:

You should meter either towards the camera or towards the light source, depending on the difference, and how much of a difference there is. I don't want to tell you which one, because the answer isn't always the same. I recommend using an incident meter, but if you're using your reflected meter, be sure you know how to compensate for the result is gives you.
The point is, though, there's an ideal exposure to be found in every lighting situation, including low-contrast light. You might not get the full dynamic range you want in-camera, but you'll have the best shot at getting it right in the darkroom post.

Ok, thanks for the help.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

XTimmy posted:

All of them have dead arm, get them to splay their fingers or something. I'm a big fan of renaissance art like hand gestures to add a bit of interest. Models point at poo poo out of frame and so on.

McMadCow posted:

They're all a bit of a stretch, but the second could probably work as one with the right crop. Good luck!

Thanks!

Valdara posted:

I like her positioning within the frame, and I like the overall composition, but her pose and the lighting are off. The shadow behind her in this one looks really unnatural. Is that from an off-camera flash or some really strange sunlight? It's also unevenly exposed, but not in way that looks intentional. The shadows on her legs really cut them off. Her pose looks super precarious, like as soon as you took the picture, she stumbled away from the tree.

The main thing weird about this pose is that her head needs to be tilted forward to give the "S curve" that is the classic lady pose. Right now her body is shaped like a "C" and that is super awkward and makes her look off balance. Adding a hand on the hip would also help give some interest to the pose. Google hand posing or arm posing to get some ideas and see what you like.

This would work much better if her arms were behind her back. I like her expression and love her hair, though. The thing that popped out at me instantly is that you have her in water that cuts her at an unkind part of her calves, making them look huge with the reflection beneath. No woman wants short legs with cankles in her photos. Either shallower water, cutting at the smallest part where the reflection lengthens her ankles and makes her look like she has long, slender legs, or wade into deeper water.

I like the first one, but the story isn't super clear. Her interaction with the man (groom?) is stiff and lifeless. Now HE has the dead arms. Having them closer with her hand on his chest might give a more intimate look, or having him touch her, too.

Over all, your colors and processing are very nice, the lighting and exposure on all except the first is spot on, the overall compositions are very pleasing, and the expressions are getting there. The one of the lady sitting under the tree evokes very strong emotions, and her posing there is quite believable. The layout of the skirt looks natural, but also balanced, almost mimicking the shape of the tree. Fix the overall posing, do something with the arms, keep an eye out for the S shape for ladies, and you're there. There are tons of posing guides online, and some are better than others. The one posted in the OP is a long read and a few decades old, but an incredibly valuable starting point. From those basics, you can adjust to go anywhere you want, but get the basics down first.

Extremely useful and thorough, much appreciated! The story in the last one is: (1) bride gets drunk, and then (2) has to face the groom while hiding the fact she was drinking. Originally it was going to be (1) hiding flask, and (2) drinking under the tree, but at the last moment I thought I'd mix up the story for fun.

The comments helped me realize that the BTS shot is much stronger than any of the others, only because it had a story I was genuinely interested in.

Maggie BTS by SacktapDeluxe, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Titan's Basement by TomOlson, on Flickr

Hey by TomOlson, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

I love the first one, the scenery and idea is well executed imho. Second one strikes me as Okay but definitively not as strong as the first one.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

I love the first one, the scenery and idea is well executed imho. Second one strikes me as Okay but definitively not as strong as the first one.

The first one was taken in an abandoned nuclear missile silo outside of Denver- really awesome/creepy place to visit and an absolute hell to shoot in since the entire complex is pitch black.

I'd really like to do an entire shoot there but I'd probably need a few people to help out and that's not convenient as being in there is technically trespassing.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Concept is good, execution is good, I'd get down to hip height next time to really get that floor in as a line.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

I shot some lifestyle photos for a friend's company - this seems like the most appropriate thread :)

Lydali 01 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Lydali 05 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Lydali 07 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I love this one.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

brandino posted:

I shot some lifestyle photos for a friend's company - this seems like the most appropriate thread :)

Lydali 01 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Lydali 05 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Lydali 07 by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

love all three of them, good job! Nothing bad to say about any of those :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kelli by xxyzx road, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Might be my monitor but those reds look very magenta where I think they're supposed to be primary red.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They look like a nice proper red on my monitor.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Making the best of a fogged negative.

Ben by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I shot a local hairdresser's 1st business birthday party over the weekend and decided to try the new AlienSkin Exposure plugin on some of the shots to see what you can get from it;

A couple of the hair models, the lomo crossprocess presets are a real nice starting point to play with colours, especially if you dial back some of the scratch/blur roughness.

Some of the party-goers... We rarely get bright blazing sunshine where I am, so this late evening blast was nice to backlight some shots with. There's some side-flares in the Exposure pack that you can use on stuff like this and still keep everything looking au naturel.

I think I'll be using AS Exposure more for people shots, and NIK Color EFX Pro for landscapes and other scenes; while you could easily use either for both, the tools feel more useful this way round. If you like subtle (or not-subtle) colour tinkering with instant feedback the AS Exposure plugin's a good purchase.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 7, 2013

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I shot a local hairdresser's 1st business birthday party over the weekend and decided to try the new AlienSkin Exposure plugin on some of the shots to see what you can get from it;

A couple of the hair models, the lomo crossprocess presets are a real nice starting point to play with colours, especially if you dial back some of the scratch/blur roughness.

Some of the party-goers... We rarely get bright blazing sunshine where I am, so this late evening blast was nice to backlight some shots with. There's some side-flares in the Exposure pack that you can use on stuff like this and still keep everything looking au naturel.

I think I'll be using AS Exposure more for people shots, and NIK Color EFX Pro for landscapes and other scenes; while you could easily use either for both, the tools feel more useful this way round. If you like subtle (or not-subtle) colour tinkering with instant feedback the AS Exposure plugin's a good purchase.

I'll need to try it, I like how yours came out. I would say the first two looks a tad overprocessed but since it's for a hair salon I'm guessing that's t he whole point. Feels quite urban. Bottom two, I just love.

Here's a repost from PAD for me:

IMG_9784 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9468 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9340 by avoyer, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

I'll need to try it, I like how yours came out. I would say the first two looks a tad overprocessed but since it's for a hair salon I'm guessing that's t he whole point. Feels quite urban. Bottom two, I just love.

Here's a repost from PAD for me:

IMG_9784 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9468 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_9340 by avoyer, on Flickr

I love the flowiness and volume of the dress in the first one, but her face isn't doing anything for me. It's kine of lost in shadows, and even if you're going for a darker mood, I feel her face should be the focus. I think her hand partially obscuring her cheek also takes away some focus.

Really like the second one, and I love the processing on it. Kind of wish she wasn't pushing her boobs together quite so hard, but it's a nice shot.

Third one is nice too, but I feel her face is just a tad too bright.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^^^ Basically verbatim what I was going to say about all three of xenilk's photos.

And I agree the hair salon photos are a little overdone. It's passable on the blonde but it does something really unattractive to the redhead's face. I think if you toned down the lines on her face it wouldn't be so bad. She kinda looks like a clown as is.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks for the comments guys! Yeah I think I should have varied her posture a little bit, I'm pleased with the ambiance but not quite with her expression/arm.... It sucks that the shoot didn't last for long because the house (which is basically a crack house) was a bit shady. But in the end it comes down to me not figuring out what was wrong on the spot and only after the fact so lesson learned :)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Playing around with one light at a friend's home.

Adam by alkanphel, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

aliencowboy posted:

I love this one.

I do, too. The light toning and the bright feel just work so well here. Love the textures, too.

Here's a repost from PAD which didn't get any responses. I went on vacation recently.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

heading home by thetzar, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Working on a new style...starting to get tired of doing B&W heads. I'm not sure how I feel about these yet but I'll throw them up here if anyone wants to critique.

DSC03709 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03759 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

Working on a new style...starting to get tired of doing B&W heads. I'm not sure how I feel about these yet but I'll throw them up here if anyone wants to critique.

DSC03709 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03759 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

I like the first one mostly for texture and the catch eye is pretty nice :) Second one seems to lack both these things so I'm not sure if I like it or not...

Here's mine, did a "trash the dress" (more like re-use the dress) with my friend's mom who got married a few weeks ago :) She's 50+. Loved the experience!

IMG_1773 by avoyer, on Flickr