Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

massive spider posted:

I don't think people necessarily thought Dredd was a sequal/remake of Dredd 95' though, so much as they thought "well they tried to do this before, and it sucked so obviously its a waste of time and the character is just bad and dumb".

Imagine if a new Tank Girl movie or something came out and it was a actually good.

It's just anecdotal but my friend, when I first mentioned the title, did in fact immediately assume it was 'a sequel to the lovely Stallone movie'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I didn't think it was a sequel, but as a dumb American all I knew of the character at the time was the Stallone movie. Remembering how much like an episode of the power rangers it was, I assumed that this film would have the same feel (though I hadn't even seen any trailers for the new one) and I had no interest in a kiddie action flick.

Then I got wind of the word of mouth, bought the Blu-ray and... now I have all the British case files, a movie accurate costume, and am painting my motorcycle to look like a Lawmaster.

So I'm definitely one of the ones who completely missed the theatrical run, due to associations with the Stallone flick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

100Dachshunds posted:

Then I got wind of the word of mouth, bought the Blu-ray and... now I have all the British case files, a movie accurate costume, and am painting my motorcycle to look like a Lawmaster.

You also need to pick up Judge Dredd: America. There's a mountain of Dredd, and that's the peak. (I'd suggest The Pit as well, but that should be in Case Files 24 next year.)

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

HTJ posted:

When the source material is a comic (or any other form of media) that has had to meet a regular publication schedule for decades, a lot of it will naturally be complete poo poo and any sane film-maker or fan should disregard huge swathes of it.

Dredd is an interpretation of the character; it is not the comic book blown up on to the big screen and, in an age of creeping police militarisation and a growing culture of assigning blame immediately for any perceived wrong (enabled by social media and 24/7 news), there are much more interesting and relevant things that a future film could focus on than an actual demon that wants to exterminate humanity.

This. I love the comic books, they're one of my favorite series but aside from a select few storylines (Democracy, America and Apocalypse War MAYBE) it's a completely different tone from Dredd. The stories aren't necessarily bad, Necropolis is fantastic but you wanting to have a comic book you like on a big screen does not mean it will work.

Also, Death was not planned for any sequels. No sequels were planned. Democracy and then Death were considered for possible sequels. Big difference.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'd like to see a Dredd game set in a GTA-ish engine where you get to see a lot more of the MC1 universe through missions based on issues from the comics.

Does anyone reading this want to help with 3D assets? I'll have the engine covered.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'll make the wiki!

BUt for real, a Sleeping Dogs-esque undercover Judge story would be cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'll make the wiki!

BUt for real, a Sleeping Dogs-esque undercover Judge story would be cool.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Trifecta-Al-Ewing/dp/178108145X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375612090&sr=8-1&keywords=trifecta

You're welcome.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Trifecta isn't as good though if you're not familiar with Jack Point and Dirty Frank. It's also not really a Sleeping Dogs-esque story though I wouldn't mind a game set in the world of the Wally Squad.

Maybe one of these would be a better choice to start with.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Life-Pa...low+life+2000ad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-City-Undercover-Andy-Diggle/dp/1905437528/ref=pd_cp_b_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenny-Zero-Perps-Mega-City-One/dp/1907519769/ref=pd_sim_b_1

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

KoRMaK posted:

I'd like to see a Dredd game set in a GTA-ish engine where you get to see a lot more of the MC1 universe through missions based on issues from the comics.

Does anyone reading this want to help with 3D assets? I'll have the engine covered.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'll make the wiki!

"When a lawbreaker enters society, society begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four perps on the edge of a cliff. Say sugar smuggled by the perp nearest the cliff is shipped to the back of the line of perps and ties him to the partners of the first perp. The formerly first perp implicates the second, the second implicates the third, and the fourth is shoved off the cliff.

Law works the same way."

Judge Dwedd, pwease! He had a famiwy!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arschlochkind posted:

"When a lawbreaker enters society, society begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four perps on the edge of a cliff. Say sugar smuggled by the perp nearest the cliff is shipped to the back of the line of perps and ties him to the partners of the first perp. The formerly first perp implicates the second, the second implicates the third, and the fourth is shoved off the cliff.

Law works the same way."

Judge Dwedd, pwease! He had a famiwy!
I've been picking up on the very sparse and subtle humor in the comics. It took me until part 2 to finally start laughing everytime Call-Me-Kenneth spoke.

gently caress, mods please rename me to Call-Me-Goatse, thanks.

(I'm referring to the Walter written speech. I don't get how that anecdote ties anything to anyone.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 5, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Is there a Judge Doom in the Dredd continuity?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Now I really want to see Judge Dredd visits ToonTown.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Now I really want to see Judge Dredd visits ToonTown.

Didn't we get pretty close to that with the Burger Wars?

Menator
Dec 9, 2008
This isn't strictly Dredd related but the Guardian has a short video on 2000AD. It doesn't focus on Dredd in the slightest but 2000AD is a damned cool comic and it's worth a watch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Didn't we get pretty close to that with the Burger Wars?

A comic so funny it was banned by Mcdonalds?

DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, if I were to make a badge, I'd likely make up a name. I don't think my actual last name would fit on the badge. Dellamarggio :suicide:

There's a badge generator that can make any style badge you want (Dark Judges, Sov-Block,etc) here, but I think it looks fine. You can also adjust the spacing if you want the letters to appear less crowded.

Granted, it's not a physical badge, but it still looks cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrWorm posted:

There's a badge generator that can make any style badge you want (Dark Judges, Sov-Block,etc) here, but I think it looks fine. You can also adjust the spacing if you want the letters to appear less crowded.

Granted, it's not a physical badge, but it still looks cool.

Back in the 80s 2000AD used to print reader art submissions. Some wag sent in a picture of a Judge Cholmondley-Featherstonehaugh, whose badge extended about two feet out from his chest.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jedit posted:

Back in the 80s 2000AD used to print reader art submissions. Some wag sent in a picture of a Judge Cholmondley-Featherstonehaugh, whose badge extended about two feet out from his chest.

Incorrect Pronunciation - 6 months!

/all lower class citizens are in the cubes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bump for Dredd being back on Netflix Watch Now.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Finally watched DREDD on Netflix last night for the first time. It's the most bleakly beautiful movie I've seen in a while.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

It's the most bleakly beautiful movie I've seen in a while.

Perhaps the most apt description of Stallone in a codpiece ever written.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Checked it out last night, was very dissapointed. Felt like it could have been any action movie with no need for Dredd to be in it. MegaCity One looked, I dunno, just like a bigger LA with big stupid tower blocks. And there was no satire. No dark humour. And Gorgo Lannister was loving dreadful.

Karl Urban did the best he could though. I was really pleased that he had the stones not to remove the helmet at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

etalian posted:

Bump for Dredd being back on Netflix Watch Now.

Also on Amazon Prime! I just watched it last night and I loved it. I wanted to just catch the intro before I went to bed and then watch the whole thing today, but nope, was up til 2 am gettin' my Dredd on. The action setpeices were top-notch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

Checked it out last night, was very dissapointed. Felt like it could have been any action movie with no need for Dredd to be in it. MegaCity One looked, I dunno, just like a bigger LA with big stupid tower blocks. And there was no satire. No dark humour. And Gorgo Lannister was loving dreadful.

Karl Urban did the best he could though. I was really pleased that he had the stones not to remove the helmet at all.

No dark humour? I couldn't disagree more. I also thought MegaCity One looked loving awesome, especially for the budget.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

No dark humour? I couldn't disagree more.

I seriously can't think of a single joke beyond the Chinese guy getting squashed by the door.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I seriously can't think of a single joke beyond the Chinese guy getting squashed by the door.

There aren't a lot of jokes in the movie I guess, just darkly humorous situations. When I think of dark humor in movies I don't think jokes. There aren't a lot of "jokes" in Cohen brothers movies either.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Nilbop posted:

Don't know how you could think anything here. Lena Headey was fantastic here. Megacity being pretty much a huge present day slum with automated base labor is a great representation of the limited progress in this dystopia. The humor was awesome and really understated with things like the clean up robots "cafeteria will reopen in 30 minutes" and "drug addict, will debase self for credits". And the satire is pretty blatant. Dredd even tortures Mama needlessly with the slow-mo before killing her the same as she killed the others, most of the "criminals" are victims of overwhelming poverty and as coerced into crime by circumstance, and Anderson is veiled as "heroic" with a bullshit appreciation of mental torture superiority over physical torture. Things like that and 96% unemployment are the grand joke of it all.

I'd suggest checking out the Dredd thread where people discuss all this stuff in depth.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The humor wasn't Adam Sandler telegraphed, but if you're taking stuff like the corpse zamboni at face value then I don't know what to tell you man.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'd suggest checking out the Dredd thread where people discuss all this stuff in depth.

This is the Dredd thread!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I assume he means theres one in the comics forum too. But as far as I know the comic doesn't really have jokes either. Its satire but you have to be able to intepret that to find it funny I guess.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

marktheando posted:

Hah, whoops. Thought I was in the netflix thread.

Guess that makes it easier then for people to go back and read through everything already analyzed.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

My buddies and I zoned out about 20 minutes into it, maybe I'll give it another look on my own. But ...

moths posted:

The humor wasn't Adam Sandler telegraphed, but if you're taking stuff like the corpse zamboni at face value then I don't know what to tell you man.

...corpse zamboni?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I assume he means theres one in the comics forum too. But as far as I know the comic doesn't really have jokes either. Its satire but you have to be able to intepret that to find it funny I guess.

Both the comic and the movie have jokes.

"Drug bust. Perps were... uncooperative."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dredd was seriously one of the funniest movies of 2012.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nilbop posted:

My buddies and I zoned out about 20 minutes into it, maybe I'll give it another look on my own. But ...

...corpse zamboni?

Towards the beginning of the movie when he's chasing the guy through the plaza? There's a scene with a street sweeper towing a bunch of corpses for recycling while mopping the floor. I got a good laugh out of the PA system saying "the food court will be closed for 30 minutes, sorry for the inconvience" while that happened.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Don't know how you could think anything here. Lena Headey was fantastic here. Megacity being pretty much a huge present day slum with automated base labor is a great representation of the limited progress in this dystopia. The humor was awesome and really understated with things like the clean up robots "cafeteria will reopen in 30 minutes" and "drug addict, will debase self for credits". And the satire is pretty blatant. Dredd even tortures Mama needlessly with the slow-mo before killing her the same as she killed the others, most of the "criminals" are victims of overwhelming poverty and as coerced into crime by circumstance, and Anderson is veiled as "heroic" with a bullshit appreciation of mental torture superiority over physical torture. Things like that and 96% unemployment are the grand joke of it all.

Some months ago I got flamed badly for disagreeing with most of the points you make here. I hope this doesn't happen again.

There are some satirical elements but not enough for my liking. They felt more like afterthoughts, and the overall movie was Dredd taking down an irredeemably evil villain. Have you seen the Under Siege movies? That's what Dredd felt like. That's not to say I didn't like the movie; it was fine, but I don't think it distinguished itself enough. There's just so much crazy weirdness in the comics that I felt was missing.

I don't know how much suffering Anderson inflicted on Kay with her telepathic attack. He certainly seemed to have fully recovered when he was preparing to execute Anderson with her own weapon. That's certainly better than Dredd hospitalizing him with physical torture. Just what do you know about telepathic interrogation, anyway?

There was a lot of misery in that tower block but Mama was a predator who exacerbated it. She skins people and puts their corpses on public display. She openly threatens to murder people and their families if they get in her way. A lot of people die in the crossfire when she attacks Dredd with those miniguns. And then she threatens to blow up the whole block to get Dredd to back off. Mama is one of the most repugnant villains I've seen in a while and it was satisfying to see Dredd defeat her.

I don't know what to think of her henchmen. The movie doesn't explore them. They are all just nameless mooks with guns. I could fill in the blanks with my own beliefs about criminality, but I wouldn't be able to validate them.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't know how much suffering Anderson inflicted on Kay with her telepathic attack. He certainly seemed to have fully recovered when he was preparing to execute Anderson with her own weapon. That's certainly better than Dredd hospitalizing him with physical torture. Just what do you know about telepathic interrogation, anyway?

Dude pissed himself and looked like he was a whimpering mess afterwards. Torture is still torture.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Problem I'm seeing is that I don't think any theatrical version of Dredd could fit in with what you want Baron because it be sorta impossible to do because comics don't translate well to the cinema. You've seemed to have decided this is a generic action flick and no one is going to convince you otherwise, so where is the discussion ever going to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are right, there is no satire or social commentary in Dredd shooting white phosphorous at civilians. They just chose the effect because it looked totally sick.

Now if they had had a bunch of really fat people in motor scooters? That would have been some clever social commentary. It's, like, about mindless consumption, so clever.

• Locked thread